• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I've been a loyal user of MPC for years now but unfortunately the project died last year. I'm still using MPC as my main player but seeing as there are no more official updates for it, should I keep using it or should I move on to another player? I do have VLC but I'm not too much of a fan of its interface or how clicking the video itself doesn't pause the video like in MPC.

ERA, what do you recommend me do?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
have been using MPV for quite some time now. a bit difficulty to learn and setup for the first time, but after that, a breeze.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
News to me. I still use it. I've always preferred the simplicity of it over VLC or basically any other player.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
It comes with CCCP, or a version of it at least. I think it's maintained by the community. I could be wrong about that, though.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've not had a reason to switch yet. Seems to handle 4k fine. The only deficiency I can think of is HDR but I'm a ways off from investing into that.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a loyal user of MPC for years now but unfortunately the project died last year. I'm still using MPC as my main player but seeing as there are no more official updates for it, should I keep using it or should I move on to another player? I do have VLC but I'm not too much of a fan of its interface or how clicking the video itself doesn't pause the video like in MPC.

ERA, what do you recommend me do?
MPC-HC has a much, much better renderer than VLC and a few other programs I've used. It's most noticeable on pure black scenes. (A calibrated TV also helps ya notice.) Dark movies are unwatchable on VLC for me so I'm sticking with MPC-HC, I believe someone will take over soon enough.

Also, shoutout to MPC-BE which is still getting worked on. Can't stop that open-source train!

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
You have the best piece of video-playback software and just because the author stopped programming you are willing to switch to something worse?

On top of that, madVR-renderer is still in active development and that's far more important for the near future.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
You have the best piece of video-playback software and just because the author stopped programming you are willing to switch to something worse?

On top of that, madVR-renderer is still in active development and that's far more important for the near future.
Well, I just learned the community is keeping it alive, so don't worry about me switching :D

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
MPC-HC has a much, much better renderer than VLC and a few other programs I've used. It's most noticeable on pure black scenes. (A calibrated TV also helps ya notice.) Dark movies are unwatchable on VLC for me so I'm sticking with MPC-HC, I believe someone will take over soon enough.

Also, shoutout to MPC-BE which is still getting worked on. Can't stop that open-source train!

You can fix that in VLC, go to video effects.
I only stared noticing that when I conmpared MPC and VLC side to side; so I made VLC look the same.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You can fix that in VLC, go to video effects.
I only stared noticing that when I conmpared MPC and VLC side to side; so I made VLC look the same.
What is it, just over-exposed? It's not just that tho, the colors can be a bit off too, I've noticed. MPC-HC is meant for video files so it's what I use. I use VLC exclusively for audio. Great combo.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
For those interested in what MPC-HC vs. VLC looks like out-of-the-box. This is from my own bluray rip of TNG, MPC-HC on the left, VLC on the right.

Wkxh5JJ.png

8EdEo34.png

kDA6njM.png

ajnMhWS.png

kRAY1Ru.png

56kvx1a.png

pSd4WOn.png

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the left side looks better?

I use MPC-HC with MadVR codec setup and configured inside it. That allows me to do HDR on my attached LG OLED TV for content that has HDR encoded (BT.2020 UHD content mostly). Sadly streaming from Netflix/etc doesn't seem to work on PC to output HDR, I have to use the built in LG apps (youtube, netflix, amazon, etc) to get HDR from streams.

OP
OP
Max|Payne

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I guess the left side looks better?
Yes, the contrast is correct and the picture doesn't look washed out.

In fact, compare the space shots and you'll notice the difference in black levels when compared to the player's completely black border.

In the left shots, taken with MPC-HC, they look seamless from the border to the dark space background.