• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely yes. "A" playthrough is arguably accurate since doing all the base building and fultong and stuff multiple times might be boring but at least one playthrough, yes.

Story is also fine. Some of it is missing and it's arguably unncessary for explaining anything missing from the MGS canon but it's not "bad" imo. Quiet is dumb though.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
At worst, MGS5 is a top 3 stealth game of all time. The gameplay and systems are absurdly good, flexible, and creative. Don't buy it if you just want another episode of Tom Clancy's Kingdom Hearts.
This was my thing with it. Gameplay was ace, but I needed my anime bullshit with MGS, so I gave up pretty early.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
If it means anything to you OP, it is by far the best disappointment I have ever played, though I fully regret buying it at full price at launch.

Just don't go into it expecting Metal Gear Solid 5 since the story is almost non-existent and what is there is pretty crap. The open world is mostly barren, but what is there and how the gameplay mechanics have been designed around it is still unmatched so far in gaming imo.

As others have said, give it a try and stick with it until you get bored. Since there's little it offers in the way of story, you won't be missing much once you drop it.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Eh? Its one of the best games of the generation. And i see it on sale alot at like 5-10 bucks. Absolutely worth it!

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Good mechanics. Bad everything else.

Man that scene with Quiet and Venom splashing around in the rain made me hate the franchise.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Yes! As a MGS fan the story is really bare bones compared to previous entries, but the game is still fucking awesome. I had so much fun with this game. Some of the equipment and upgrades you get later on will provide you with hours of entertainment just dicking around.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its a game with the blandest emptyest open worlds this gen, with lots of bullshit cut and paste filler missions and awful storytelling and writing thats not even fully done . The characters are as awful as the empty open world . The gameplay loop gets old after 10 hours. The lack of mission variety and just overall scenarios cant sustain engagement any longer . It controls nice at the expense of some really cartoony animations . Theres a lot of options and gadgets how to approach missions , but youre never really forced to use any of that since level design barely exists and it does not force you to use all these tools. Unless you really want your mgs fix, dont waste your time

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's so mechanically tight, I love it. The story is nowhere and the open-world is kind of just there but playing with the systems is so fun.

Oct 27, 2017
In a better world there is a far better narrative attached to that gameplay loop and it is the greatest game of all time...with what you have - best in class gameplay with a story of hit and miss quality - it is still certainly worth playing

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I thought it was absolutely terrible. The open world is the epitome of bland and boring, and features like the base building were just atrocious. The story was even bad for an MGS game, which says a lot...

The core stealth mechanics are like the only positive here, but not positive enough to overcome all of the bad. Way way way more bad than there was good in this one.

I'd pretend MGS5 doesn't exist so you don't have to waste any of your life on it.

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For Metal Gear Solid standards, I found the overall story & the way it was told to be mostly disappointing outside of an impressive cinematic opening hour. The gameplay on the other is absolutely sublime & the best in the series, which is why it's a shame the story turned out the way it did because MGS to me has always been a marriage of great gameplay with a great story.

I honestly have never really felt like going back to it despite enjoying the gameplay so much.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is an extremely fun video game

Just know that it will be up to you as the player to create gameplay variety. Some people do the same things on every mission and then complain about it being repetitive

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Worst MGS story by far, if you can even call it a story.

Gameplay is good but 99% of the time youre just running through a barren open map tranqualising enemies with a pistol.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Game is REALLY fun to play, could have used and ending though. :|

The go no where 'story' will always be a sour point. Beyond disappointing, after all the work you could tell they did on the actual game its such a shame to have it wasted.

Great game! Shame about the (lack of) ending.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I like 2 and 4. 3 is one of my fave games of all time. I really liked Ground Zeroes. But i started 5, and was bored after 10 mins. I haven't really gone back to it.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Yeah. I have hundreds of hours in it, playing the missions in different ways or just messing around while listening to podcasts lol. Fun fact: There are missions in MGSV you can complete without leaving the helicopter! Try to discover them :P

Worst MGS story by far, if you can even call it a story.

Gameplay is good but 99% of the time youre just running through a barren open map tranqualising enemies with a pistol.

Regarding this, it bears mentioning that MGSV has no difficulty selection, but you can basically set your own difficulty when choosing what equipment to take. If you want a tense stealth experience, just don't bring any silenced guns with you on missions and disable Reflex Mode.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
One of the biggest disappointments for me last gen, in regards to how unfinished it felt story wise, and the lack/variety of indoor locations. The gameplay itself is really fun though.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
The "empty open world" complaint is dumb. You're there to sneak into bases, not wander around aimlessly. The open world is just there to facilitate multiple points of entry and missions spread between multiple bases. The levels of MGSV have the exact same features as all the other MGS games... Terrain, buildings, guards, some animals. But because it's an open world instead of a series of corridors, people seem to think this is some crime against game design.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
1. Ground Zeroes is actually amazing. But if you are not familiar with MGS series (and especially Peace Walker), the story in GZ, while still entertaining, won't hit very hard.
2. The Phantom Pain... has some story. But it's unfinished, it has plot holes, it somewhat contradicts the story of previous MGS games. It's also very boring to follow and pacing is really bad.
3. Both in GZ and TPP shooting and movement mechanics feel amazing.
4. When people say that TPP is unfinished they don't only mean the story. Some gameplay systems and elements are "messy" as well. But average player probably won't notice most of it, at least not on their first play through.
5. Missions and side missions lack variety, are really repetitive.

As someone said, you can try to play it until you get bored. Once you are bored, you can drop the game, it won't get better.

Evilcrane

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The gameplay is incredible, even if the story is nonexistent. There's nothing like it when it comes to gameplay (3rd person, sneaky military sandbox with fun mechanics) so you can have a lot fun with the game even if it the story feels unfinished.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is a really fun game that is well worth your time.

It has it's fair share of issues though. Story is meh and it has one of the worst character designs ever (Quiet).

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
In what world wouldn't a Metal Gear Solid be worth playing though. One of the best experiences of last gen.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The story is mediocre, unfinished and poorly paced but has some good moments.
But the gameplay is fantastic, it's just a great game to play through.

Ground Zeroes is worth a bash too. Similarly terrible story but it's the best playing MGS. I'm still a bit bummed that MGSV wasn't structured like GZ tbh.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
It worths more than a single playthrough like the rest of MGS games; the story is neither good nor bad since it's almost absent and barely had any impact on the whole plot, so it won't stand in the way of enjoying its great gameplay

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Best stealth game I ever played. Story is pretty weak (Skull face is a great villain though) and there are some annoying missions sprinkled in there but generally I think it's a masterpiece in the stealth genre.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
It's great and the story isn't as bad as most people think. The downfall of Big Boss just happens in a very different way than what most expected or wanted.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Unequivocally. Has some absolutely stellar gameplay that's worth diving into. Just be prepared for some significant cringe around anything Quiet.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Its a game worth a few hours but not worth finishing. The last third is recycled copy pasted missions and the pay off is null, both gameplay wise and story wise.

So enjoy the best gameplay of the generation, fool around the sandbox but don't push yourself to finish it, there's nothing worth down there

May 24, 2019
Its a game worth a few hours but not worth finishing. The last third is recycled copy pasted missions and the pay off is null, both gameplay wise and story wise.

So enjoy the best gameplay of the generation, fool around the sandbox but don't push yourself to finish it, there's nothing worth down there

They should have compressed the repeat of the intro mission but I dug the twist ending otherwise.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Unequivocally. Has some absolutely stellar gameplay that's worth diving into. Just be prepared for some significant cringe around anything Quiet.

The game is honestly better if you just kill her at the end of her boss fight lmao. Her scenes are cringe, her story doesn't really go anywhere and as a partner she's too OP.

Only problem is, it locks you out of seeing the true ending.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
The gameplay is phenomenal, it literally feels like the game that Kojima had wanted to create for years and technology finally allowed him to.

The game is clearly unfinished from a story perspective. This becomes very stark at around the middle of the game. This should not put you off of buying however, especially given how cheap the game is on sale.

Absolutely worth it.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
If you`re in for the story, OP, then I I don`t recommend playing this game.
Just play Hitman and Hitman 2. Similar gameplay philosophy but much more entertaining and satisfying games, imo. And the story is better, too.

majority of his lines were moved to tapes, prob to cut down on motion-capturing Sutherland
What motion-capturing? ;-)

Last edited:

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sadly the story in this game is an audio drama, so don't play it if that's what you're after.

The gameplay is amazing though and Ground Zeroes is 100% worth every penny.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Skull face is a great villain though
In GZ he was. In TPP he's basically a clown.

They should have compressed the repeat of the intro mission but I dug the twist ending otherwise.
It looks like the final mission was super rushed. They didn't even bother to cut out the tutorial, so you're, once again, getting taught how to move, aim, shoot, etc. after playing the game for 40+ hours already .

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I heard it didn't have an ending, hated the base building mechanics and how thin on story it was, so I gave up after recruiting Quiet.

MGS really went downhill for me after the high of MGS3. 4 wasn't all that, and I started losing interest after they started milking Big Boss for his post MGS3 popularity.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
One of the greatest third-person action games ever made but also a dogshit Metal Gear Solid game. So yes. It is worth it for the gameplay.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's like the complete opposite to MGS4, actually living up to its gameplay systems and giving many opportunities to explore them without having nearly as much plot.

And I see that as an absolute win.
The opening stretch in the hospital is one of the worst segments of an entire console generation though so you have to quite literally push (the stick) through to get to the actual game.

Eyad

Nov 17, 2020
Even if the story is disappointed, the missions are worth your time. The gameplay is 10/10. By far one of the best games of last gen.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The gameplay is more than good enough to play through the whole game a few times over.