Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
recruit.jpg

WhatCulture Gaming made a video yesterday highlighting something Colin Moriarty said in his podcast about him believing Metal Gear Solid VI is in development. The boys seem to dismiss Colin's statement, but if true, this would obviously be done without any involvement from series creator Hideo Kojima.

Now, I would love another Metal Gear. MGSV is one of my favorite games of the generation, and the thought of a true sequel delights me to no end. The problem is, however, is there a such thing as a true sequel without Kojima?

Is there a video game series that's so tied to one man's vision and influence as MGS is with Kojima? I don't believe there is, and I don't believe it's close.

So with that said, what do you do with such a license? You're not going to sell it. I'm sure that ill be suggested, and it doesn't mean they shouldn't, but I just don't see it. You can shit out games like Metal Gear Survive using the existing blueprint, and that may be the way to go. Or - the best possible idea - you remake the older games, because the structure, theme and feel have already been provided, and maybe you can just bring the gameplay/graphics into modern times.

What about a mainline title though? What about continuing the story? Are we sure Les Enfants Terribles yielded no others? Snake didn't know about Solidus, perhaps there is another?

Is adding to Kojima's madness something a developer/writer would even want to approach? Perhaps Konami is interested, but no one has come knockin'?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima's Metal Gear is over, the story has ended.

Whatever comes next is just someone else's vision.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible to make a good MGS game without Kojima. It's not like he has a perfect track record either. I just don't have any reason to believe Konami has the talent to do it.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Kojima's Metal Gear is over, the story has ended.

Whatever comes next is just someone else's vision.
Yeah this right here. I love Metal Gear and want to see it continue, but it'll never be the same knowing that whatever comes next (if anything) was never planned ahead by Kojima (not that Kojima planned even half of the stuff ahead, but still).

cephus

Oct 28, 2017
I believe that the right person directing could make a Metal Gear that lives up to the ones Kojima worked on. I think the problem is that Konami doesn't exactly inspire the type of work environment that many would want to work in however.

Best case scenario is a sequel getting outsourced to a separate studio, but I have no idea who would be up to the task.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I honestly don't see any reason why they can't make an actual metal gear mainline game with the fox engine without Kojima.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I believe a Kojima-less Metal Gear can be made and still be good. I mean, Hideo himself was trying to make that a thing several times whilst at Konami. I'd love to see someone else take a stab at it, but not some Survive-esque experience.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like these games are his. No one else can make these the way they're made without him. It's his thoughts and personality in game form. You're taking out what makes MGS MGS without Kojima.

That being said, he's done with MGS and won't be back anytime soon if ever. MGS has to live on so I'm curious to see what someone new comes up with. I'm not opposed like I was with DmC. DmC was unnecessary, MGS isn't.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Everyone impacts video game development. If you have one sound director in a game and switch to another in a sequel, it changes the way a game feels. Not better or worse, just different. So everyone, no matter how seemingly small a role, has a significant contribution to the end result.

So what was Kojima at the end of the day? I think he was a generous yet chaotic genius. He seemed to embrace every idea with devote confidence that it would work...or at least it would lead to a better idea. In short, he was more creative than he was pragmatic. And while he didn't invent all of the concepts in Metal Gear, he was the one who decided what it would ultimately be. Even if there were other team members serving as a filter.

Konami will not, repeat - will not ever allow another Kojima to rise up the ranks. That doesn't mean another director can't make a great game or it wont be a Metal Gear game - but it wont be a Kojima game. And there's nothing wrong with passing the torch to a new creator . Heck, it's better than letting the franchise die. Brands allow games to be made and teams to work with a budget that a new IP would not be given.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
MGS is the child of Kojima. It's born in his mind as much as in his heart. One can try to imitate it, but it won't be the same without him.

It would be like making a sequel to a Kubrick film. Without Kubrick. Which... yeah I know it happens, but is no good idea.

Jan 10, 2018
Just as with a good movie franchise that switches director it needs someone that has their own strong vision of what the Metal Gear franchise can be. We don't need a director that imitates the previous one; it would be a disservice both to the franchise and Kojima.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Konami had the opportunity to show that Metal Gear could live on without Kojima. However, they failed miserably with Survive. I'm not exactly hopeful at this point.

Oct 25, 2017
People here that know me know how much of a Metal Gear fanboy I am.

But without Kojima to direct, or supervise, or to approve the canon, my interest in the series is dead and buried. Any following game will hold the value of fan fiction to me, so I have zero interest.

Feb 24, 2018
yes, it is, most works of fiction live on way beyond their original creators, from the Iliad and the Odyssey, the Sherlock Holmes, from Norse Mythology, Journey to the West, Dracula, Pride and Prejudice etc.

Whether it's as good, better or worse who can say, but I'd argue a few of these game franchises will survive the centuries in some way or form.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If Kojima had quit after MGS3 like was originally planned, yes they could have easily continued it with different teams and there probably wouldnt have been much uproar. Kojima was able to put his stamp on the series for too long though.

That said, I will not dismiss a Metal Gear game outright. MGR was fantastic for instance. A good Metal Gear game can still be made, even without Kojima's unique touch. Survive didnt appeal to me and was slammed with Konami mtx bullshit.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't we been lighting the torch on Kojima since MGS4 and his shoddy stories? But somehow no one can compare to Kojima anyway? Weird

There's always gonna be someone with the knowledge and the creativity to match Kojima. He's special but he's not the only one who's unique

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Kojima went more and more crazy with Metal Gear. I would definitely be interested in someone else's MG as long as that team/person would understand what MG is.

Tho at first I would love to see MGS3 remake from them. Than reimagined MG and MG2:SS.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Revengeance despite being a spin off felt very legit, with its memes, codec and memorable bosses. It can definitely be done

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
They made Survive and how did that turn out? Only way to really test it is start from scratch or see if someone can head a decent remake of a metal gear game

Jan 10, 2018
Haven't we been lighting the torch on Kojima since MGS4 and his shoddy stories? But somehow no one can compare to Kojima anyway? Weird

There's always gonna be someone with the knowledge and the creativity to match Kojima. He's special but he's not the only one who's unique

I'm very open to a new director myself. I mean, at the very least a new creative mind could challenge Kojimas portrayal of women and the heavy non-interactive exposition. That alone would be a big step in a new positive direction.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Konami doesn't seem interested in a mainline Metal Gear right now, but no person is irreplaceable for better or worse, and a new Metal Gear Solid could come out one day, one that can compete with the originals. This isn't an indie project made by person, it's a franchise thousands of people worked on at this point, so it can be done.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
They should do a hard reboot with a new visionary. Let it evolve into something that tries to capture the spirit, but doesn't bother doing what it can't.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Yes. It just needs the right team and a good vision. Celebrate its legacy without imitating.

What I take from Survive is that Konami really tried to imitate Kojima's shenanigans and the result is hilarious.

I'm open to see what's next.

Techno