• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Microsoft be developing Halo:Infinite for the Xbox One?

• Yes, put the game on as many platforms as possible.

Votes: 731 46.8%
  • No, it should have been developed from the ground up for next-gen Xbox to showcase the hardware.

Votes: 830 53.2%

• Total voters

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And how does that strengthen the arguement that the scarlet version will be downgraded due to previous gen development?

If we use the Shadow of Mordor example in reverse it simply means that every possible feature/idea/vision for Halo: Infinite that wasn't working on the old hardware (Xbox One) had to be dialed back hard or was axed on the spot.

They can offer graphics & performance options for Scarlet & X users, so no, I don't see an issue. Also, as others have said, it would be stupid of them to alienate their current XB1 user base.

So why would sony do that with their possibly PS5-only titles?

Where is the Mario Odyssey WiiU-Version? I can't believe Nintendo would alienate their WiiU base.

Why would MS want to alienate their Xbox1 base in 2022 or later? If this approach is such a good idea why not make every future game playable on a Xbox1?

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
I think releasing cross-gen to get it in the most hands possible is a good idea from both a sales and online community standpoint, but I reeeeally hope it was developed for the ground up with Scarlett's specs in mind and downported to One. Preferably by a separate studio/team to not take time away from core development.

This is their flagship Scarlett launch title, I want to be as impressed as possible!

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
If Halo Infinite is being developed as a Xbox One game first, and a Scarlett port second, it's a massive mistake.

if Infinite is Scarlett first, and another team is porting a XB1 version, with Scarlett having more unique features that the XB1 can't handle, then it's perfect.

There will be a point where XB1 needs to die. Look at GTA V, FF14, and Destiny. They killed the last gen version so the game(s) could live on.

And let's be real for second, as soon as Scarlett launches, XB1 is irrelevant. Look how fast the 360 died in new software sales for cross gen games. XB1 will die twice as fast and twice as much. XB1 install base means nothing in the transition to next gen. Majority of players will be on Scarlett and PC, not XB1 and PC.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
my opinion is Xbox one owners have been massively dicked over by ms first party halo this gen.

360 got 3, ODST, reach and 4.

one has got halo 5.
Halo 6 was supposed to be Xbox one but now a Scarlett launch title too. So even 6 isn't a real one exclusive any more.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
And how does that strengthen the arguement that the scarlet version will be downgraded due to previous gen development?
I think because there are 2 thoughts on this issue: one cross gen game vs. a separate XBO and Scarlett version.

MS is heavy into BC so....would it be one game designed to run on XBO and Scarlett, or 2 different games with Scarlett stuff not possible on XBO? Not just graphics and res but game design, mechanics.

I think we all are mixing these up.
Shadow of Mordor is a good example. The Nemesis system. Could something like that be on 1 disc and designed differently for current gen and next gen? Where current gen doesn't have it and next gen does?

I do think Halo Infinite needs to be the swan song for the XBO, like TLoU 2 will be for the PS4. Both consoles should have a strong system seller before their next gen consoles.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
The yes answer isn't really my true thoughts, but it's the closest to them. I think it's fine. It's obviously going to be ported over to the next Xbox shortly after release if not on release I bet.

I'm okay with it being on Xbox One, just so long as it is ported to the next Xbox shortly after release.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's a good thing games are scaleable and they can do both.

Heck, if Scarlett has RT cores, just making Halo Infinite Scarlett with Ray Tracing could see a huge difference in fidelity.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you look at it from a game play perspective if you're just going on raids, attacking areas and there is say standard Halo enounter numbers, is that really stretching Xbox One. That's what I kinda feel like it's going to be. Bigger Halo areas like an open world but you are just attacking bases and installations like all the games except traversal is much wider with more options and secret areas. Many open world games are like that now, it would just look amazing on Scarlett, like ghosts of tsushima grass or ray trace lighting, more life and detail, draw distance to the game that couldn't be done on this gen.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I had expected it to be a cross-gen title and when they announced it they didn't mention Xbox One at all (at least not right away) which made me make the assumption that they would only release it for Scarlett. I felt fine with that, actually it made me interested in getting the Scarlett day 1 because Halo as a launch title is great. And now... I don't know. I hope they have something else planned for the launch as well.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
The first part of every generation is like this ... it's why I'm waiting it out this time. No real next-generation experiences for a few years. Graphics have definitely topped out for the most part, and it is all about frame rates and load times

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I'm more than okay with it if it runs properly on a launch Xbox One. Part of the reason that I was always leaning towards a PS4 (even before Microsoft imploded) was because they supported the PS3 right 'til the end with great games, something Microsoft didn't do with the Xbox or the Xbox 360. Not abandoning the Xbox One is part of what they need to do to persuade me that they're going to provide games throughout a generation.

This is a good point. I'm pretty happy with what they've done since 2015, but I guess releasing Halo Infinite for Xbox One too (just like Nintendo did with Breath of the Wild) is quite decent after all.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a mistake, but if you're talking about 'big team battles' in 2021 and you only have a 16 player arena - that's not next gen. It's not even current gen. The design constraints baked into XB1 games will hold back Scarlett's games, if they are designed for the lowest common denominator. Why have 16 player arenas, when you can have 1000-player open halo-world battlefields with complex real time physics in 4k as a baseline to sell the next gen? This is why I find it hard to comprehend people in the first party thread supporting the idea of Scarlett launching without any first party hardware exclusives.

x86 isn't some magic bullet that somehow solves these hardware design constraints via 'minimum spec'. You either design bigger and better games and attempt to scale down afterwards with potentially pitiful results, or leave the old hardware behind.

Because 1000 Players might not be fun? We really doing this player count = next gen thing?

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Let's wait and see. It's just hard to know since we haven't seen any cross gen comparisons going into next gen yet.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Compare the open-world of MGSV to that of Horizon or AC Odyssey
Halo Infinite isn't going to launch that late in the generation though.

The open world of Black Flag was pretty expansive, and that was cross gen right around the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One.

I don't think it hurt Breath of the Wild, OR the Switch for that to be cross gen. Same for Twilight Princess.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite isn't going to launch that late in the generation though.

The open world of Black Flag was pretty expansive, and that was cross gen right around the launch of the PS4 and Xbox One.

I don't think it hurt Breath of the Wild, OR the Switch for that to be cross gen. Same for Twilight Princess.

Wasnt that one more open seas though? I think the Rogue/Unity split might be a little more indicative of different designs for different hardware

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are forgetting MGSV. One of the best looking current-gen games...was cross-gen.

I'd say that arguably my two favourite games this generation (MGSV and BOTW) were both cross-gen and both awesome on both gens. I played through BOTW on Wii U at launch and it was incredible. Played MGSV on PC but my understanding is that the 360/PS3 versions were fine.

If they do it right then I'm fine with it.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
As much as I like Xbox, there's something about their games I really don't enjoy and that's how everything has to be coop. I'd love for Xbox to have a more intimate, one player experiences instead of always telling stories about teams and being tacked with cooperative gameplay.
But in Halo the co-op player just plays as a second Master Chief, so it doesn't affect the story at all.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
I think this might be a case where Halo Infinite is held back (in scope) by current gen consoles. By the time the game releases itll be 7 years since launch of XBO, basically imagine some late 2013/2014 games on last gen. Battlefield 4, AC4 Black Flag, Dragon Age Inquisition, Watch_Dogs, Destiny, The Evil Within, THE PHANTOM PAIN (!), Thief, Titanfall, etc. IIRC most of these ports i mentioned were serviceable on last gen consoles, unlike stuff like Shadow of Mordor running in the 10s of fps.

Not saying this will make a worse game by any means

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But in Halo the co-op player just plays as a second Master Chief, so it doesn't affect the story at all.
Halo 5 isn't tho. The game is designed the same way as Gears. It's always you and your teammates. You get shot down? Don't worry, one of the other three teammates are going to revive you. I like those games and if they are gonna stay that way, fine. I want them to try for intimacy and more one-on-one stories for their other studios. I hope Obsidian and Ninja Theory deliver on that front, as I believe they are the ones more than capable of telling those sort of stories.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Halo 5 isn't tho. The game is designed the same way as Gears. It's always you and your teammates. You get shot down? Don't worry, one of the other three teammates are going to revive you. I like those games and if they are gonna stay that way, fine. I want them to try for intimacy and more one-on-one stories for their other studios. I hope Obsidian and Ninja Theory deliver on that front, as I believe they are the ones more than capable of telling those sort of stories.
Again they can easily do that in Halo the same way they've done it before. The Co-op player would play as a second master chief and it wouldn't affect the story at all. From the little we've seen from Halo Infinite, it looks like it'll have a more intimate story.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again they can easily do that in Halo the same way they've done it before. The Co-op player would play as a second master chief and it wouldn't affect the story at all. From the little we've seen from Halo Infinite, it looks like it'll have a more intimate story.
That's what I'm hoping for. I don't mind it with Gears, as the story there has always being about your squad/family/etc. Halo was always a more intimate, "super soldier stranded on a place" story and I'd love for them to go back to that.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's a mistake imo. It's understandable when a third party publisher releases a cross-platform game, but a platform holder? First party games are the system sellers, and you need them looking and playing as good as possible. Halo Infinite being designed to run on a Jaguar CPU is definitely going to limit what they can do. In a bad way.

This keeps being said in the thread, but it isn't a good comparison at all. For a start, the power difference between those systems wasn't very large, so the benefits of being developed exclusively for Wii or Switch weren't as extreme as what we'll see for Scarlett. Plus the Wii and Switch had system-selling features beyond just improved graphics. Say what you will about motion controls and portability, but I think the mass audience saw them as a far more compelling reason to upgrade than "hey, remember this game you can buy for your current console? It looks better on the new $500 system!"

Only enthusiasts are jumping in early for that.

Dec 31, 2017
Compare the open-world of MGSV to that of Horizon or AC Odyssey
And how many years in the gen before we got those games?

Reality is nothing at launch every fully utilizes new hardware. Cross gen is fine, this is totally a non issue. Scarlett version will have enough to differentiate it to make it worthwhile, and Xbone people will still get to play the game. We are not switching to a new architecture anymore to scalability of engines is a lot more relevant now than ever before.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I think releasing cross-gen to get it in the most hands possible is a good idea from both a sales and online community standpoint, but I reeeeally hope it was developed for the ground up with Scarlett's specs in mind and downported to One. Preferably by a separate studio/team to not take time away from core development.

This is their flagship Scarlett launch title, I want to be as impressed as possible!

These are exactly my feelings on the matter.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Whoever voted "No" seems to have a fundamental lack of understanding of how the modern worlds works. Luckily MS will do the right thing, and whoever prefers to live in the past is free to do so.