• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Microsoft be developing Halo:Infinite for the Xbox One?

• Yes, put the game on as many platforms as possible.

Votes: 731 46.8%
  • No, it should have been developed from the ground up for next-gen Xbox to showcase the hardware.

Votes: 830 53.2%

• Total voters

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
343 will hold it back more than the hardware will - they certainly aren't Bungie. If Infinite isn't good, I'm done with the series so it's put up or shut up time for that studio

Oct 27, 2017
This does bring up the question, not only of Halo but of all games, where are next gen consoles going to stand in regards of new games on current gen consoles? Is MS still aiming for 'generationless' games? Will the entire library still be working on xbox one moving forward. I believe that was the goal. Works for PC. It may get real ugly, eventually. Does it make me crazy that I kind of want to see what that looks like 10 years from now? Lol

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It seems like a low risk / low reward approach. Essentially the same approach a third party without a vested interest in the success of a console would take by choosing to go cross-generation: ensure you make back your costs without gambling on the uptake of new hardware. It just seems really odd for a first-party developer. Of course it's could just as well be the result of slipping schedules if it wasn't originally intended to arrive quite this late. Then it's a rational approach to making the most of a sub-optimal situation.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Cross gen
1090ad32-222f-4595-9ed6-c3400789a9e2_1.8eb9dd9c0ef071a27c9c93eb2242f945.jpeg

th

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
No. That's not how things work at all anymore, especially with them making the game available for PC too, and I wouldn't be surprised as well if XB1 versions are handled by another studio and 343 are working solely on the Scarlett and PC version, MP will be the same besides resolution since you will be playing with all platforms together but I can see the SP portion of the game being huugely different between Scarlett and XB1

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
ERA, for an enthusiast forum it's odd to see these results because Microsoft's strategy for Xbox is not that hard to ascertain :

As many platforms as possible, game pass, and crossplay between everything (yes even PC). Especially Halo. It is Xbox's flagship, so it needs to perfectly represent the ideals they have been striving for which are accessibility and scalability, while driving revenue through subscriptions and engagement. To do this they need momentum, and so they need sales and a bustling multiplayer community. Limiting the game to next gen Xbox only would have been totally counterproductive to their strategy and a massive mistake.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
ERA, for an enthusiast forum it's odd to see these results because Microsoft's strategy for Xbox is not that hard to ascertain :

As many platforms as possible, game pass, and crossplay between everything (yes even PC). Especially Halo. It is Xbox's flagship, so it needs to perfectly represent the ideals they have been striving for which are accessibility and scalability, while driving revenue through subscriptions and engagement. To do this they need momentum, and so they need sales and a bustling multiplayer community. Limiting the game to next gen Xbox only would have been totally counterproductive to their strategy and a massive mistake.
People are used to "generations" and can't comprehend that x86 architecture makes this so much easier to scale. The Scarlett will be the high end spec, one x is mid, and one s is low tier or minimum requirements. They will make a ridiculously gorgeous native 4k60fps all the bells and whistles version for the scarlett that will look "infinite"ly better than the one s version and everyone will be able to play together.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
Huge Xbox fan and owner of an Xbox One X here.

They absolutely should not make this game constrained by the Xbox One. It lessens the perceived value to lost Halo players who may consider getting an Xbox next gen.

Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling some people don't understand what cross gen titles even are. Games like Death Stranding and TLOU2 aren't cross gen because the PS5 won't even exist for purchase at the time of their release. They are current gen games that may see a re-release when the PS5 actually comes out. They were announced as PS4 only games and they will release at a time when only the PS4 will exist for consumer use.

Cross gen games are those that have a simultaneous release on current and next gen platforms. It's as simple as that. For example, God of War 3 isn't a cross gen game simply because it can be played natively on the PS4. It's a remastered last gen game, just like Death Stranding would be it it receives a PS5 release.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Lol what a sneaky poll.
The thread title and the poll question is asking you different things.

Reading the title made me want to say Yes.

Reading the poll question made me say No.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Again, you can build a game that has different features and capabilities based on configurations. I'm not talking about specifically load times. Look at NVIDA and Battlefield for instance. They can build the game to support RTX and all that hoopla.
But that will be only limited to stuff like variable loadings with a pause screen or useless hub between 2 areas. 2 seconds of loading for PC + ssd pcie-4 (or Scarlett) and 15 to 30 seconds for PC (with ssd or HDD) and XB1.

With SSD + pcie-4 the loading of the streaming can potentially happen while the character is moving between those two areas. No need for loading screens or hub tricks to force the player to wait for the loading.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm not worried about them working within the constraints of, say, the One X. It's the base Xbox One that has been churning out nothing but issues for developers since launch that has me worried.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'm not worried about them working within the constraints of, say, the One X. It's the base Xbox One that has been churning out nothing but issues for developers since launch that has me worried.
Eh, its not really fixing the issue if it was made with X1X constraints, it is still a significantly slower CPU that holds back scale, scope, AI, physics, destruction etc. And slow HDD that requires loading masking scenes, basically the 2 major upgrades of next gen wont affect the games other than initial loading being faster and higher framerates.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People need to realize that Halo Infinite was always going to be developed for the Xbox One. It was initially announced as a current gen title at E3 2018.

343 will hold it back more than the hardware will - they certainly aren't Bungie. If Infinite isn't good, I'm done with the series so it's put up or shut up time for that studio

It's a good thing 343i are not Bungie because unlike 343i, Bungie are still making the same mistakes they made from Halo 2's development.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a mistake, the reveal didn't turn heads and a big part of it is that being a cross gen title it doesn't look that much better (if at all) from a current gen game. They could've made a big statement when they revealed it being one of the very first next gen games, they blew their chance to generate hype for the next gen XB.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The poll options have yes/no back to front.

I'm happy it's on it's way and it will have access to a huge community. it'll be a great launch game. I don't want to have to wait Til 2021 or 20222 to play it.

Can't wait to see what we've seen so far , but with ray tracing and HDR *drool*

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else find it a little annoying when the thread title asks the opposite question to the poll?

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Microsoft make a mistake by developing Gears 5 for the Xbox One?
Is Sony making a mistake by developing Last of Us 2 for the PS4?
Is Kojima making a mistake by developing Death Stranding for the PS4?

It blows my mind that the majority of this forum says that it is a mistake.
Halo Infinite has been in development since 2015. With the same expectation, any game releasing this year should have waited until next generation.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
What if it's actually on XCloud and Xbox One owners will be able to stream the game but not play it natively? :O

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
So, the first 2 years of next-gen will be held back by current-gen because of the install base. Great.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Also I feel like people don't understanding scaling for different hardware specs. The game is going to be on PC, they're clearly going to make sure it runs to the best of the hardwares ability.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Community is vital to a Halo resurgence. Bringing in Xbox One S and lower tier PCs into the mix with Game Pass will allow Halo to captivate more mindshare than its had since Halo 3. Moving a handful more Scarlett's by avoiding the Xbox One makes no sense. 343 wouldn't be making a game that won't scale. Game spent most it's dev life on the Xbox One. It's already designed around that hardware as will every launch game.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Crossgen games aren't anything new. Better to have the game available to more people than the folks that just want to buy the new hardware, they stand to make more money that way.

This. They made the only right move there was to make.

That said, 343 gonna have to make sure that the Scarlett version looks and runs spectacular amd superior comparatively imho

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So, the first 2 years of next-gen will be held back by current-gen because of the install base. Great.

the game has been in development for over 5 years come the launch of the game, holding it back another year isn't going to change the timing at which it came into the world, this is the nature of videogames and generational shifts.
There is absolutely no doubt that we will see games that are "next gen only" which ware also rooted in the technology of when they were made, not when they were released. It's always been the case that the 2nd and 3rd wave games long after launch are when you see the big improvements.
Even so, even if we just consider the faster CPU, then SSD and the capability for ray tracing , I would expect to a visual and an experiential change from the Xbox One to the Next gen machine version of Halo Infinite.
Even so, the big thing that this does is give the franchise the room to succeed with a much larger community base, Halo's online experience is enhanced significantly by having a larger player pool, something it suffered from with MCC and Halo5.
It's going to be on game pass across both machines , so as a Halo player I'm gonna have so many people to play with/against come Scarlett launch, way more than if it was limited to those earlier adopters

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just like hi-spec PC's and Low-spec PC's, games will just scale with more or less graphical/performance options to choose. The Xbox One version will be fine and fun at 1080p 30, or close to that. 1X version will probably have options for 1080p60 or 4k 30 with a few graphical tweaks to push it on. Scarlett will just be 4k60 with more graphical options to play with, just like PC's do.

On one hand a great new exclusive will push consoles but MS want to keep people and their consoles together, so blurring generations seems to be the thing they want but I don't expect them to hamstring the Scarlett just because of that.

Also, I cannot wait for the inevitable Era threads about downgrades and how the Xbox One is killing the Scarlett.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Pretty depressed about the game now. HDD and jaguar processor holding back the open world Halo ring experience. The multiplayer plus online co-op will have to be on an even playing field with the OG Xbone. Pffft

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
the game has been in development for over 5 years come the launch of the game, holding it back another year isn't going to change the timing at which it came into the world, this is the nature of videogames and generational shifts.
There is absolutely no doubt that we will see games that are "next gen only" which ware also rooted in the technology of when they were made, not when they were released. It's always been the case that the 2nd and 3rd wave games long after launch are when you see the big improvements.
Even so, even if we just consider the faster CPU, then SSD and the capability for ray tracing , I would expect to a visual and an experiential change from the Xbox One to the Next gen machine version of Halo Infinite.
Even so, the big thing that this does is give the franchise the room to succeed with a much larger community base, Halo's online experience is enhanced significantly by having a larger player pool, something it suffered from with MCC and Halo5.
It's going to be on game pass across both machines , so as a Halo player I'm gonna have so many people to play with/against come Scarlett launch, way more than if it was limited to those earlier adopters
This.
I would also add that 343 already demonstrated their technical capabilities pushing older hardware to their limits (aka: Halo 4) while still being able to push that forward, not only increasing resolution and framerate (aka: Halo 5 on OG Xbox One and same Halo 5 enhanced on X1X).

Another thing to consider is that Infinite is being made for the last 5 years also with high-end PCs in mind, therefore a scalability factor from the lowest-end machine to the highest was considered since the first Infinite development day.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just like with BOTW for Wii U, you need to treat your fanbase with respect by still providing for the system that they invested in. Only getting one new Halo for the XBO for its entire lifespan would be a slap in the face to Xbox fans.

Plus this way new ideas can be tested without stressing over needing to shock and wow with new tech, just focus on the core fundamentals here then once you have that foundation start experimenting more with the next entry.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
MS is all about mindshare - you wont need buy the game thanks to GamePass or Scarlet to play the game.
They dont care how - as long people play the game.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are some of you trying to not understand the potential problem or what is going on here?

How can the new studios show the capabilities of the new hardware if they have to think about the old fart "xbox one" in the room all the time?

Did you all forget Shadow of Mordor already?

kotaku.com

Shadow of Mordor Is Way Less Fun On Old Consoles

When Shadow of Mordor first arrived in September, it was met with heaps of well-deserved praise. The last-gen versions of the game arrived today to considerably more muted fanfare. After playing a few hours on my PlayStation 3, I can see why. This is not the Mordor I remember falling in love with.

"What it won't have is the same level of depth and variety and simulation within the 'Nemesis system'.
"The story will be the same and the core gameplay will be the same, but [the 'Nemesis system' is] just so huge in terms of content, calculations and AI we'll just have to try and get as much of it in as we can."

It seems limited in comparison to the robust and colorful orc infrastructure that I've enjoy so much in the original game. I still had some great moments with my new batch of orcs, don't get me wrong. One threatened me with the delightfully silly line: "I'll kill you until you're so dead you can't be alive!" But between memorable moments like that, I ran into an unpleasant amount of repetition. Much like I mentioned when describing the scenery of the game, there are a lot of finer details missing in these new orcs. They all seem to have a smaller set of names, weapons, pieces of armor, and snappy orc taunts to draw from. The orcs in my PS4 and PC versions of Mordor got repetitive at a certain point too, for sure. But I only began to notice it then after playing for upwards of 20 hours or so. On my PS3, in comparison, I quickly found myself thinking: "Oh, great, another orc wearing that same suit of body armor just said he wants to kill me." I guess, on one level, that is what all the orcs in Mordor are doing, regardless of what version I'm playing. But the beauty of the original game came in the sheer amount of diversity it had to offer.

And that was "just" the Nemesis system.

Are we going to get less diversity in the next Fable game because the old netbook cpu can't handle so many different daily tasks for the npcs(to feel more real)?

Everything wortwhile isn't going to be something scalable. Do you really want a situation were some games from sony shows unheard of stuff while on scarlet you get the same xbox one game but with rtx effects and a better framerate?

Because of this Scarlet would feel more like a new graphics card. Everything stays the same but it's prettier.

I'm not saying the xbox games will be bad but i'm really bummed that they have to run on the old netbook craptastic hardware for a few years.

May 18, 2018
I wish this game was about you, the Master Chief and not all this group/team stuff that has been in the latest games.

Imagine discovering new World's 'alone'. Add some horror elements, a deep story (linked somehow to previous of the series), a new Xbox/Scarlet exclusive? System seller right there and would put MS right back in the mix.

Shame MS don't think along those lines, unlike the original...

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I wish this game was about you, the Master Chief and not all this group/team stuff that has been in the latest games.

Imagine discovering new World's 'alone'. Add some horror elements, a deep story (linked somehow to previous of the series), a new Xbox/Scarlet exclusive? System seller right there and would put MS right back in the mix.

Shame MS don't think along those lines, unlike the original...

Is the game not doing what you're saying?