• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Microsoft be developing Halo:Infinite for the Xbox One?

• Yes, put the game on as many platforms as possible.

Votes: 731 46.8%
  • No, it should have been developed from the ground up for next-gen Xbox to showcase the hardware.

Votes: 830 53.2%

• Total voters

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
What they are doing is unprecedented yes but not on the way you think it is
Microsoft is not looking for hardware sales more than they are looking for service subscriptions. And you can be sure unless they delay the PS5 you will still see some ps4/ps5 titles alright
You're obviously correct that we will see cross gen games on PS5 at launch if you're talking about third party titles. Sony's on the other hand won't, as driving hardware sales is their key strategy unlike Microsoft.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I can almost guarantee that 343 isn't working on the version for the Xbox One. And that another studio is porting it backwards.

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I think it needs to work and have cross play on Xbox One, Scarlett and PC.

I think this because it needs a player base and not everyone upgrades a console straight away. I have plenty of friends and family members I play games with (like Halo) and they are not likely to buy a new console on launch as it's way too expensive and/or they have other priorities.

With it being on all platforms it allows people like myself to upgrade and play with my friends and family who haven't. Also MS could use it as marketing to get people to upgrade (i.e. "look at how much better this game you own will play").

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish this game was about you, the Master Chief and not all this group/team stuff that has been in the latest games.

Imagine discovering new World's 'alone'. Add some horror elements, a deep story (linked somehow to previous of the series), a new Xbox/Scarlet exclusive? System seller right there and would put MS right back in the mix.

Shame MS don't think along those lines, unlike the original...
As much as I like Xbox, there's something about their games I really don't enjoy and that's how everything has to be coop. I'd love for Xbox to have a more intimate, one player experiences instead of always telling stories about teams and being tacked with cooperative gameplay.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 didn't really suffer from being developed around the X1, I don't see why Infinite would.

They'll probably future proof the game anyway.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Next gen being inextricabley tied to x86 will make the tech far more scalable than ever.

I doubt we have anything to worry about in terms what Halo Infinite can achieve on the new hardware.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
It's got pros and cons.

The scope is absolutely going to be limited to what the terrible OG X1 specs can handle. What we can expect from X1X and Scarlett is better resolution, textures, and framerate. All great things, but in terms of world/AI complexities, it's absolutely going to be hamstrung by the antiquated base hardware.

Pros :

+Available for more users
+Higher spec Xbox models will run it in a prettier fashion

Cons :

-Game will be less than it could have been with 9th gen baseline (provided the devs could find ways to leverage the extreme leap in CPU performance for more/better AI and complex world systems)
-Makes Scarlett less interesting overall. It's not likely that the Scarlett will offer much more over the X1X, and equal to PC, in terms of this title. And for gamers with an X1/X1S that might have been tempted to buy a Scarlett for this entry, well, one less reason to jump in early.

So it's a strategy that makes sense in some ways, but lets things down in other ways. If they cut it off and made it a 9th gen launch title, it could have been a solid sales pitch. We don't yet know the exclusive lineup for the PS5 and Scarlett launch period, but it definitely seems like something you would want to at least consider for that showdown.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I do. The technology powering XB1 is ancient and the brand's flagship title will undoubtedly be hamstrung by it. Using old hardware as the baseline and commiting to 60 fps will most likely result in a visually unimpressive game.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Their metrics turn around user engagement and online investment, so the answer would be "no mistake" for such game, the existing One userbase will fuel it faster than the Scarlett one.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't help that the question in thread title and the question in the poll are polar opposites. If he cleaned that up, the poll results would probably be a little different.
That just means a lot of people failed to read the poll question before answering it. That in itself is a worrisome result.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I feel like it is def putting more strain on the developers. I can respect the idea behind it - maximizing audience. but at the same time, it has to be rough designing a game to be a next-gen launch title to show off specs of new console while also keeping in mind how to fit the same experience on less powerful hardware.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It would be a big mistake if they didn't. It's about getting the community on board. Multiplayer is nothing without it.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Do you guys not realize they can create versions of the game that are optimized for certain configurations?

Don't you realize that there are design limitations that you can't optimize for just one version of the game? Something like level design and AI will not be changed for Scarlett because it obviously has to be the same game and these things are strongly hampered by the current gen console.

From a business point of view, with Microsoft's current vision, it makes sense to launch Halo as a cross-gen game, but the game will be held back by this.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Again, people quoting x86 as some magic 'scalability' bullet. If a dev asks the question "can this wild next gen feature idea work on an XB1?" and the answer is a definite "oops no, it almost melted the Scarlett devkit", x86 isn't going to magically make that feature not melt the XB1. At best, scaling such a feature down takes a large amount of resource and compromises that it potentially ends up watered down for all audiences, even if it's deemed a worthwhile inclusion in the first place.

What some people seem to be advocating is that devs somehow design 'next-gen' games by scaling them up from baseline current-gen hardware, because of forward-compatibility. It doesn't make any sense to me.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
You're obviously correct that we will see cross gen games on PS5 at launch if you're talking about third party titles. Sony's on the other hand won't, as driving hardware sales is their key strategy unlike Microsoft.

I seriously doubt Sony won't do the same to be honest. No way will they ignore the current install base.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
This is totally different though. Gamecube and Wii were very similar in power and so were Wii U and Switch, so you can't really compare the result with Halo infinite where the new console will be several times more Powerful than previous and this fat more capable.
Its really not

TitanFall, Call of Duty Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Metal Gear Solid V, Assassin's Creed IV, Watch Dogs, Destiny, and many more were cross-gen. Games have been scaling up and down pretty majorly for years via PC vs Consoles. This is nothing new. Microsoft alone has been doing it with their games. Games like Sea of Thieves looks way bettter on PC vs Xbox X, as ive played both. Night and day diiference.

Resetera is getting annoying with these user driven narratives in order to create negativity.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
It's a trade off, are software sales more important than pushing the PS5 hardware? I'd bet Sony opts for the latter and we wont see games like Horizon 2 on the PS4.

If Horizon 2 comes 2022 or later, you sure won't (have it on PS4). Just like you wouldnt see Halo Infinite on X1 if it released that late either
Crossgen is something that happens during the start of a gen. For everyone. And then the old generation is phased out quietly like always

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
have you seen gears 5?

Gears 5 is a stunning game, but it doesn't exactly scream next gen. The One/X also works out a little different, because the One X is aroung 4.7x more powerful than the standard One, and has a better ram set up, thus ithat power difference is used mostly to scale up resolution (native 4k happens to be 4x 1080p) and not really impact game design.

In that sense, graphically Gears 5 on the standard One is almost exactly the same as the One X bar the resolution and frame rate (dynamic 1080p/30fps vs dynamic 4k/60fps).

Not sure it'll work the same way compared to the next gen system, which I'd imagine will have at least twice the power of the One X, an SSD drive as standard, much faster ram, and a much more competent CPU, thus the potential for a much higher baseline that could be exploited for much more than mostly resolution differences.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
A launch game isn't going to truly showcase the hardware anyway.

Make it multiplatform so that as many people as possible can play AND the developer can get some crucial experience with the new hardware before going all in with the next game.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
If Horizon 2 comes 2022 or later, you sure won't (have it on PS4). Just like you wouldnt see Halo Infinite on X1 if it released that late either
Crossgen is something that happens during the start of a gen. For everyone. And then the old generation is phased out quietly like always
I'm predicting Horizon 2 at launch or in the launch window. Also I'm not sure why you keep saying cross gen happens at the start of every gen when Sony and Microsoft have always next gen exclusive marquee titles at launch. Halo Infinite bucks the trend, for better or worse.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand people complaining about last-gen support on titles launching near the end of a consoles cycle. The vast majority of Xbox players won't buy Scarlett during its first year of release. Having a Halo game as an exclusive launch title without supporting older platforms means that there is no chance on Earth of that title recouping its costs. When was the last time that any company had a major release of a popular series as a launch title exclusive to a new platform? Not even Nintendo is doing it any more even though its titles always have ridiculous legs.

I don't expect Horizon 2, for example, to launch before at least 6 months from PS5's release have passed.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Power isn't really important anymore, there are no groundbreaking visual improvements happening anymore. Happy they are instead making a game for largest user base.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Its really not

TitanFall, Call of Duty Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Metal Gear Solid V, Assassin's Creed IV, Watch Dogs, Destiny, and many more were cross-gen. Games have been scaling up and down pretty majorly for years via PC vs Consoles. This is nothing new. Microsoft alone has been doing it with their games. Games like Sea of Thieves looks way bettter on PC vs Xbox X, as ive played both. Night and day diiference.

Resetera is getting annoying with these user driven narratives in order to create negativity.
True. We also have devs scaling games btw lower and higher end PCs for years. This isn't new.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think it's necessarily a mistake, if the game runs at 30fps on current-gen and 60fps on next-gen. 60fps on both gens might not be a good idea.
Its really not

Wait, are you saying that those games haven't been negatively affected by also being on last-gen consoles? It's very obvious if you look at MGS and Destiny, for example.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
As a business it makes sense to put it on as many platforms as possible to collect sales. From a fan perspective though I wish it was exclusive to their new hardware.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Don't think it's necessarily a mistake, if the game runs at 30fps on current-gen and 60fps on next-gen. 60fps on both gens might not be a good idea.

Wait, are you saying that those games haven't been negatively affected by also being on last-gen consoles? It's very obvious if you look at MGS and Destiny, for example.
It's very obvious to what? The hypothetical of what "you think they could have looked like?" Had they not been cross gen. Please note to me the graphical and overwhelming enhancements from destiny 1 to 2? The vault size? Lol

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
It's very obvious to what? The hypothetical of what "you think they could have looked like?" Had they not been cross gen. Please note to me the graphical and overwhelming enhancements from destiny 1 to 2? The vault size? Lol

Destiny 2 isn't really a good comparison, when you consider that the game development was rebooted 16 months before launch. Also, this isn't about graphical differences. Graphics are extremely scalable. What isn't that scalable are things related to CPU, RAM and even storage. I remember quite well when Destiny 1 launched, how disappointed I was by the scale of the areas and the whole game.

Last edited:

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
I own Xbox One X and will buy Scarlett to play Infinite but I'm glad that it will be available also on XBONE. If you look from developers perspective specifications will be finalised probably at April/May 2020 and games which will start production and from then on devs will be able to fully use and profit from this specs. Those games will be out from 2022+

Look at Destiny 1, it was available on X360, PS3 but even as it uses same engine no one can deny that Destiny 2 is PS4/XBONE generation game. Even Destiny 1 on XBONE/PS4

Same will be next gen with much more games.

I expect that in this 2020 time frame we will get:

XBONE - 720p/900p (variable) - 30
PS4 - 900p 30
PS4Pro - 1080p 30/60
XBONEX - 1440p (variable) 30-60
PS5/X - 4k/60

Engines are much much more scalable these days, when we will have 40+ millions next gen users we can expect more NextGen only games and that will be from late 2022.

Also look at nVidia's RT, PhisX, Particle Simulation, Havok and many other - scalability will be much more present next gen where devs will be able to switch many options on/off

Last edited:

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm 99% sure that we'll see PS5-only games at launch and the launch window that won't be playable on a PS4/PS4 Pro.

No new cross-gen titles from sony after maybe ghost of tsushima/tlou2/death stranding. Every other new big playstation title will be ps5 only.

Power isn't really important anymore, there are no groundbreaking visual improvements happening anymore. Happy they are instead making a game for largest user base.

Cool. Do you want to call sony and microsoft so they can cancel the new consoles? It would be sad if they work so hard for something nobody needs anymore.

Please look at the horrible PS360 versions of Shadow of Mordor. A PS4/One title with a true next gen gameplay system (nemesis system).

PS360 couldn't handle it. Game was uglier, ran worse, had worse animations and the nemesis system was toned down hard.

Benjargon

Mar 27, 2019
I am also highly skeptical that Halo: Infinite can achieve what Halo: Combat Evolved did back in 2001. It's just not possible. You can't reinvent the wheel. I look forward to trying it and I am sure it will be a great sci-fi adventure but I really don't see it as a history-making industry-changing platform-promoting master peace that the original was.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
OG Xbox One h/w capabilities has been slowing down game's tech progress for quite some time now, and while it's important for a 3rd party publisher to launch on as many platforms as possible I seriously don't see the point in Microsoft launching Halo Infinite on Xbox One/S. They should've make Xbox One X their h/w baseline for HI at the very least, preferable make it Scarlett(+Windows) exclusive.

have you seen gears 5?
Gears 5 looks fairly disappointing for a 2019 game from the technical perspective. The fact that it has to run on OG XBO definitely limits what it could've been.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
In the end, whatever the reason for developing for the One, it's not like a good Halo game can't be made on Xbox One hardware, which is the real goal in the end.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I doubt it would make a difference if it was just X and not the original Xbox One.

We just don't know what sort of game they have planned. Is it Destiny like, AssCreed, original Halo.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i keep scanning this thread for stinkles responses. need any nugget of infinite info i can get. come on frankie, i know you're reading this and wanting to comment!

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Engines are much much more scalable these days, when we will have 40+ millions next gen users we can expect more NextGen only games and that will be from late 2022.

For the sake of Xbox i truly hope that they have some true next-gen only games next to Halo Infinite in the first 2 years of the console. Sony will start swinging hard to show off and make as many people want to buy their new system.

If customers have the choice of buying a PS5 or a Scarlett next november they surely need something to make them buy one over the other. 90% of the launch games are identical... So what about the exclusives? SOny has 1 or 2 rad next-gen only titles and ms has the same game i can already play on my X.

I really don't think this is a good thing for Scarlett. Maybe for the game pass subscription numbers. But sometime MS will leave those Xbox One customers behind and i don't understand why it would be better to do this in 2 years time and not at launch. Why give sony an edge?

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
One would think games like Infamous Second Son, Forza Motorsport 5, Killzone, Ryse, and Knack helped PS4 and Xbox One sales back in 2013-2014 far more than Destiny, NBA 2K, Call of Duty, and FIFA based on many of the posts here.

As I said in my previous post, as long as they are taking a PC approach in scalability (instead of features being greatly forced) then things will be fine. PC games look more impressive than many exclusive console games even if they have to get "held back" by minimum PC spec requirements.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I own Xbox One X and will buy Scarlett to play Infinite but I'm glad that it will be available also on XBONE. If you look from developers perspective specifications will be finalised probably at April/May 2020 and games which will start production and from then on devs will be able to fully use and profit from this specs. Those games will be out from 2022+

Look at Destiny 1, it was available on X360, PS3 but even as it uses same engine no one can deny that Destiny 2 is PS4/XBONE generation game. Even Destiny 1 on XBONE/PS4

Same will be next gen with much more games.

I expect that in this 2020 time frame we will get:

XBONE - 720p/900p (variable) - 30
PS4 - 900p 30
PS4Pro - 1080p 30/60
XBONEX - 1440p (variable) 30-60
PS5/X - 4k/60

Also look at nVidia's RT, PhisX, Particle Simulation, Havok and many other - scalability will be much more present next gen where devs will be able to switch many options on/off
The difference in game design has more to do with CPU improvements than GPU, so resolution scaling is not what we're talking about here. This gen came with terrible CPU, which is why some cross game gens run just fine on both. We also don't know what Destiny could have been if the previous gen consoles were left ind the dust.

With the huge leap in CPUs that we're getting, it's going to create new opportunities for interactivity and complexity. We're talking 6-7x improvement. so a maxed out game running on PS5 at 60fps might only run at 10fps on PS4, not 30fps. That's why using current gen as a baseline is limiting.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I think their development process is probably closer to that of a PC, game is worked on simultaneously for One, One X and Scarlet and each version has different settings like a PC game going medium, high, ultra high.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
To me there is no argument for it being on Xbox One further than it would be silly to limit your playerbase for a multiplayer title out of the gate. The game is going to be available on a range of PC hardware so whats the difference? Would we all want The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon 2 to be PS5 only?(maybe:))I think first party games "could" be put in a catagory of generation exclusivity, but it would hurt the sales if they were.

I will say though, that I think they should sunset the X1S hardware ASAP and make the X1X the baseline. at least you'll have decent GPU capabilities. I wonder if there is a point that the X1S gets games that are "streaming only"?

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

Games scale, and it goes well beyond just FPS and resolution. Lighting, shadows, texture, anti-aliasing, etc. Some of you all act like you have never seen a PC game before with all of the video options you have.

1782592_0.png

Last edited:

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I'm 99% sure that we'll see PS5-only games at launch and the launch window that won't be playable on a PS4/PS4 Pro.

No new cross-gen titles from sony after maybe ghost of tsushima/tlou2/death stranding. Every other new big playstation title will be ps5 only.

Cool. Do you want to call sony and microsoft so they can cancel the new consoles? It would be sad if they work so hard for something nobody needs anymore.

Please look at the horrible PS360 versions of Shadow of Mordor. A PS4/One title with a true next gen gameplay system (nemesis system).

PS360 couldn't handle it. Game was uglier, ran worse, had worse animations and the nemesis system was toned down hard.
And how does that strengthen the arguement that the scarlet version will be downgraded due to previous gen development?

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
They can offer graphics & performance options for Scarlet & X users, so no, I don't see an issue. Also, as others have said, it would be stupid of them to alienate their current XB1 user base.