• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Microsoft be developing Halo:Infinite for the Xbox One?

• Yes, put the game on as many platforms as possible.

Votes: 731 46.8%
  • No, it should have been developed from the ground up for next-gen Xbox to showcase the hardware.

Votes: 830 53.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 was ported to the Switch. Halo Infinite being downported to the XB1 won't be that big of an issue.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I mean, rewind this back a few years and you'd probably see "Should Nintendo be developing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Wii U?" That turned out ok, despite being developed for two platforms.

I know the scenario isn't exactly the same, but I'm not particularly worried at this point. But, we haven't really seen much of it in action so far to know the broader implications to Microsoft's decision...

Also, most wouldn't argue that a high-end looking PC game is being held back because it also offers lower-end graphics options. I think that's probably the closest comparison - Microsoft will clearly be wanting to show how much better Halo: Infinite looks on Scarlett in the run up to launch.
Nintendo didn't market power as the Switch's gimmick, though, so BOTW being pretty much identical wasn't an issue as it was now running on a handheld. With the difference in power between Scarlett and One, it'll definitely show how they had to build it with the One in mind.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
The next Xbox needs a show-piece title. Anything that could prevent that is bad.

If 343 has to make any compromises to the finished product in order for Xbox machines launched in 2013 to play it, then the title should simply not release on that platform.
....Then again, this game is going to release on PC. And we assume Microsoft wants a wide range of PC's to be able to run it there, too, so....

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, BOTW showed gameplay is more important than making a game all about power.

The Elder Scrolls 6 will use next gen hardware to create a world that wasn't possible on the current hardware. This is not about the graphics.

I don't think people would be happy with Halo Infinite if it was just Halo 5 with the best gfx ever.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if they ever had those gameplay changes in mind that you listed OP... that said, it really depends on if this is a One title with the Scarlett in mind... or vice versa. Is it being ported down or up?

Or honestly, how much change did they even want to do to begin with? Maybe they didn't need extra HP to make those changes. I don't think the current Xbox One would limit them from doing stuff like that.

One of OP's points is that the new power would open up possibilities for gameplay changes.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Bit late for that since it was announced at E3 2018. Though I would like to see the reaction if Microsoft comes out and says it is no longer available for the Xbox One and is a Scarlett exclusive.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's necessary. Halo population will be huge on launch day because of it.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I think it should have been the Xbox Next game that showcased all the features of the new system. I hope the wizards are 343i make it work and I understand they want to sell as many copies as possible.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
The Elder Scrolls 6 will use next gen hardware to create a world that wasn't possible on the current hardware. This is not about the graphics.

I don't think people would be happy with Halo Infinite if it was just Halo 5 with the best gfx ever.

I would be very suprised if ESO 6 did that. My money is on a better looking skyrim or oblivion type game. It will run on Gamebryo and be full of bugs at launch.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Launch titles never fully take advantage of the hardware because they are being developed well before the hardware is finalized.
Because of that, I think it is completely fine to launch on both generations.

Halo Infinite, specifically, has been in development for 4 years now, 5 years by the time it launches. Xbox didn't know what Scarlett was 4 years ago.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I mean aren't we praising Sony for releasing games for the PS4 a year before PS5 releases like TLoU was for the PS3.

I think they're trying to instill confidence that they're willing to support their platform late in the gen.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I mean obviously it'd be nice to see a full on made exclusively for Scarlett Halo game out of the gate to show off the potential power of the system, but at the same time I don't see it suffering that much from being made with the One in mind. It will definitely be interesting to see how the latter looks and performs, because I don't expect MS/343 to skimp on environmental details with that fancy new engine on the Scarlett sku.

And really at the end of the day if they can just iterate on that CE gameplay magic of dynamic open ended encounters in bigger more open-ish environments then I'll be plenty happy. Having recently replayed Silent Cartographer on the MCC in 4k @ 60 fps it still controls like a dream. For Halo as nice graphical benchmarks as some of the games were at time of release I'm still more interested in them nailing the gameplay loop and encounter design. That said I'm sure there's still going to be a good balance between the systems visually. I mean if that new jaw dropping flight sim game is supposed to come out for the base One too I don't see how we can't have a highly scalable situation with Infinite either.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As long as their overall vision for the gameplay isn't hampered by technical limitations I don't see an issue with putting the game on as many platforms as possible.

Games are developed for a variety of configurations nowadays, they developed with that in mind.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
As much as I'd love a fully next gen Halo built to take advantage of the latest hardware, consider the state of brand. Halo is widely recognized, but its popularity has declined, with the last two games having met with mixed impressions from fans.

I think it makes sense for 343 to get as many people as possible playing and talking about Infinite as soon as it's released, which means inviting the XB1's install base to the party. If the game is great, fans who buy a Scarlett will gladly double dip. Or simply keep playing if Infinite is on Game Pass.

singhr1

Oct 28, 2017
Considering the development started halfway through this console cycle, it is highly unlikely they could foresee the launch of the game being cross-gen and not just a current gen game.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I say they are not making a mistake, then reading other posts I forgot about the power difference between the orig XBO, one S and One X.

Now...I'm not sure.

Develop with the One X in mind, scale back for the og XBO and One S, BC for Scarlett with enhancements.

I know it sounds easy, lol.

Maybe it should be for Scarlett only. The current gen XBO got it's own Halo, let Infinite be for next gen.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Is a mistake for the sales of their new box but it is not for the growth of their subscription service. The game is poised to be the biggest launch in the series now that it's open to the PC audience, so making it avaliable to evey platform will help to make it a true megaton. I just hope 343 is up to the task.
As someone who is likely getting Scarlet at launch, I would have preffered it to be a next gen title.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Yes. Should be the damn showcase for the new console. Not some cross gen shit. Can't imagine how pissed I'd be if Horizon 2 or God of War 2 was on PS4 as well. No thanks

Oct 25, 2017
I think people should abandon the notion that every generation means the last generation is no longer relevant. In PC gaming, old hardware lasts quite a long time.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
makes you wonder what this game could have been had it been developed from the ground up for the next generation Xbox.

I do not think you are correct in assuming that making a version of Halo Infinite for the Xbox One is hindering the version of Halo Infinite that will be available on PC and Scarlett.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I thought it would be playable on the XB1 through streaming? Not going to lie, if it needs to run on a 2012 console, I'm suddently much less interested in the game.
i mean, it has to, its coming to xbox one lol, you know as a full physical and digital game,not just streaming lol

and its also a first party game, so they have to make sure it runs well

Nov 11, 2017
Unless they decided to release the game 2-3 years from now not entirely sure how they would target scarlett only, and targetting last gen systems won't hinder the game anyway

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
What if Microsoft's next gen console is backwards compatible, just like the PS5...

edryr

Banned
Feb 15, 2018
Good and pro consumer move to launch it on one and not only scarlett.
They don't poo in their customer's mouth that feed them by doing so, and thumb up to them for that.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
This subject has strangely gained traction recently. Its not as if PS5 is going to release with games that the PS4 couldn't run. If they release anything as exclusive for PS5 it's because they've gated it off by choice.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
From what we've seen it sure isn't suffering graphically. I guess we'll see what kind of gameplay enhancements come with the new specs that simply aren't possible on the current consoles but I expect those to only show up after a while into the console cycle.

Dec 20, 2017
Nah this isn't the nineties. It can be cross generation and have a Scarlett patch that turns on more of the bells and whistles.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I don't agree, since WiiU and Switch are almost equal in power. Xbone and Scarlet are not.

For example, combat encounters will have to be tailored for Jaguar. Say goodbye to large battles or anything that hits CPU hard, since gameplay has to be equal. Heck, xbone and scarlet gamers will be able to play in this openworld with coop, so gameplay MUST be identical.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Halo Infinite is releasing on PC. Xbox One is irrelevant to any hardware limitation concerns. It will scale to the hardware it needs to.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It depends entirely on the design of the game. If developing for Xbox One limits features outside of production values, then yes.

Is it going to be open world? Does making it for Xbox One mean we should pair the size of the world or density of activities back? Will advanced A.I. play a role, like the wildlife we saw in the initial reveal? Is that possible on existing hardware?

A million little questions like those are what matter, and we still don't have any idea what the core design is. I know their creative director departed, which means their list of goals could be in a tailspin. At any point this could just revert back to being a traditional Halo game, which is what my honest bet will ultimately happen.

Rumor has it Infinite has a titanic budget too, which means it is all the more likely they scale back ambitions to maximize platform quantity and meet deadlines. Microsoft could delay it, but it is imperative they release something substantial for the release window of Scarlett, particularly given their drought of content this generation.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I mean aren't we praising Sony for releasing games for the PS4 a year before PS5 releases like TLoU was for the PS3.

I think they're trying to instill confidence that they're willing to support their platform late in the gen.
Another post mentioned this too. Yeah, gotta agree. It should show they still support their soon to be last gen console well.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
We haven't seen any real gameplay yet to accurately answer this. Let's wait and see some Scarlett footage, then we can dissect how much better it could be in your scenario. AND is the delta between what they have and could have had worth losing out on an already established audience? I'm going to guess no.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure they are building this with Scarlett in mind, likely outsourcing for older versions.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I like when companies support old consoles for a little bit after the new ones come out.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Nah if anything I think this is what they should have done with Halo 4 towards the end of last gen as well.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dépends

it canbe 720p or lower dynamic on Xbox one+ pop in and scaled geometr/ textures + 30 fps

1440+ 60 FPS on Xbox one X with scaled detail

full blown 4k60fps max détails on Scarlet. With faster load time as well obviously

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
From a business standpoint, it makes sense to develop it for both platforms. However, if I'm looking at it purely from the perspective of getting the most amazing looking and playing game, I wish it had been a Scarlett exclusive.

I imagine that the team has to do a lot of extra work to get it to work on both platforms, and/or is leaving opportunities on the table (e.g., full integration of the SSD).

Oct 28, 2017
Yup.

See: GTAV. Sold a shitload of copies (and looked amazing) on "old" consoles, then basically got everyone to double-dip with a next gen release the following year.

That's an apples to oranges comparison since next gen will have backwards compatibility so people won't have to buy it twice. Sure, your GTA scenario was a genius move, but things won't work that way anymore.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
It should be primary scarlet and only on Xbox one via streaming. It's not so much the visuals that are a concern with having an Xbox one version but the simulation and ai which are cpu intensive.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
As long as it's good it won't matter.

We haven't seen the game in action, so it's hard to say if the game seems compromised to run on 2013 machines.

But it is kind of a missed opprotunity. Like the Xbox One is pretty weak these days and dragging the hardware into 2020 will only get worse.