• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Microsoft be developing Halo:Infinite for the Xbox One?

• Yes, put the game on as many platforms as possible.

Votes: 731 46.8%
  • No, it should have been developed from the ground up for next-gen Xbox to showcase the hardware.

Votes: 830 53.2%

• Total voters

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Quite the difference between this and the 'Digital Foundry - Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair: Spotless on Switch, Superb on PS4, Xbox One and X' thread.

If it hits 60 fps on Xbox One, 60 fps and looks better on Xbox One X, and 60 fps, 4K, AND looks amazing on the new console...why would that be bad?

Launch games have never really showed what new hardware can do. They're made in a short timeframe with incomplete ideas of what the hardware will even be at the outset of development. Worrying that a launch game is being 'held back' is ridiculous.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First, the thread title and poll question/answers are inverse, making this confusing.

Second, why on earth would they want to release a huge exclusive game to a minuscule audience on the launch of the new Xbox? If nothing else, having it on both will show a very noticeable gap between the two generations (particularly those who only have the base version of the Xbox One, which like PS4 is most of the console players).

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The game has a PC release which will need to scale to target hardware near XB1 specs already. Game design hinges on smart engineering more than just processing power. It's the nature of modern design to be able to simplify most gameplay systems. Aside from arbitrarily simulating more things in the background, I don't think we're coming up on any threshholds that would exclude the base Xbox hardware.

The advice in some of these replies is bad enough (in terms of going against how tech works, the publisher's priorities, and theoretical player interests) that it comes across as faux concern.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, BOTW showed gameplay is more important than making a game all about power.

Whilst that's true, the Switch and Nintendo systems in general for a while now aren't and haven't really been about cutting edge visuals and tech. Microsoft's next console on the other hand will aim to be, and presumably there will be PS5 exclusives that some consumers, YouTube, social media channels etc may compare NextBox games to.

It works for me though as I don't necessarily have to buy a NextBox at launch, and can instead play the game on PC or Xbox One/X. It will be the first Microsoft next gen system I may not buy around launch, partly because of this.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The poll tricked me.

To answer the question. The xbox one version will just be a "pc version" and get scaled down. So no they are not making a mistake. Also the hardcore people are already gonna buy Scarlett no matter what.
If its not released you just miss on alot of players.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Halo is largely about the multiplayer anyway, isn't it? Seems like a bad idea to restrict multiplayer games to a new, unproven console that is backward compatible anyway.

Spanic

Oct 31, 2017
US
I don't think it will be a mistake. If any 1st party are going to make a next gen only game its probably Turn 10 Studios.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
a lot of people are going to be like, what's the point on Scarlett when you can still play on yer old Xbox One. Compared to Scarlett being a necessity to play the next Halo.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Considering how amazing Halo 4 looked at the end of the 360 lifecycle I'm not concerned.

Plus it'll still look much better on PC and Scarlett.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
The poll is misleading because it reverses the question from the title.

Anyway, no, I don't think it's a mistake. The Xbox One has a huge install base, and a next gen console is a huge investment in many markets that can't afford one in its first year due to pricing. It's wiser to cut some corners when necessary and release it in both - of course, with some incentives to get the version on the newer console. Also, since it's releasing on PC, they have to optimize it for lower-end machines anyway.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
a lot of people are going to be like, what's the point on Scarlett when you can still play on yer old Xbox One. Compared to Scarlett being a necessity to play the next Halo.
Alot of people will just not play it also. Because most people wont upgrade to Scarlett. You miss out on alot of players and playerbase. Hardcore people will buy the console already even if Halo is exclusive to Scarlett or not.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Easy, just have everyone on base consoles play Infinite via streaming on xCloud :)

For real though: yeah I'm a bit apprehensive about this as well

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Anyone thinking like this got only themselves to blame. Devs wont stop releasing games on the current gen the day after PS5 and Scarlett releases.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Weird thread. We just had Gears 5 fully take advantage of the One X power, despite having to run on the older and much weaker Xbox one.

Developers have long since mastered the ability to target multiple power levels. This isn't 2013, guys.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I own an X, but I'd rather have a fully next gen Halo title than one hampered to the past by a jaguar CPU base Xbox one.
Higher res, better effects, closer to 60fps all the time, much faster loading screens etc. Halo games already have large environments and great physics.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
How Game Pass is going to work when you start having games that will only work on Scarlett and not the Xbox One will be interesting. Do you give a discount to Xbox one only, Game Pass holders? A good problem to have I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be interested to see what they deliver.

As much as I wish to see Halo unleashed on new hardware, I love high quality downports.
Impossible ports like Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360 or RE4 on PS2 are fascinating.

I'd expect the Xbox One version of Halo Infinite to only be 30fps. Then the Scarlet version to be 60-120fps on a VRR TV.

But who knows. I still think the Xbox One version might get dropped.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
With all the hype about how game-changing SSD's will be, it would have been nice to see it being built from the ground up around that, instead of being limited by the original X1. There will eventually be a Halo designed with Scarlett in mind, it's just too bad it isn't Infinte. I'm not even a Halo fan, but I know that shit would be amazing!

I don't see them gimping the X1 version.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
If it's cross gen then it would be built with a HDD in mind so it might be a mistake. I don't know anything about the game tho.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, BOTW showed gameplay is more important than making a game all about power.

The game' quality itself probably won't be impacted that much, and probably sell much better thanks to the bigger install base.

But it's full potential both as a system seller and as a next gen showcase for graphics for next box is jeopardized without a doubt.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Additionally, the vast majority of the big, AAA 3rd party games will be cross gen in the first year. FIFA, Call of Duty, Battlefield etc etc. It's just good business.
Developers will find a way to exploit the best features in each console.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They're doing it right. If they've got a big game there, they're going to need to lean on that Xbox One base and generally making it as accessible as possible. they're going to focus on streaming and expect the next console to be soft out of the gate.

Olimar

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I have a feeling that the "Xbox One" version will end up playing in the Xbox Scarlett with Scarlett-exclusive enhancements. My only hint to this is that recent Xbox One titles all have XBOX ONE plastered on the bottom of their cover art. Why would they delineate the product twice if they weren't preparing for some kind of transition?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It's like saying Sony is making a mistake by putting the last of us part 2 on ps4. Both games will be coming to next gen consoles, so what does it matter? PS4 and Xbox One sales have no where to go but down from here

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Did Sony make a mistake by developing The Last of Us for PS3?

Clearly not.
? Terrible example. The Last of Us was out before PS4. There was literally no way to release it for both systems simultaneously at that time unless they had delayed and made it cross gen. There was a current gen and no sign of next gen when that game was being shown early on. This game is straight up hardly been seen because it's not even coming until Xbox Scarlett is here, so that means they have the entirely different option of putting it on two gens at once.

Ghostie

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 5, 2019
This isn't going to entice people to pickup their latest console offering if their blockbuster game is multi-platform and multi-generational. Its like XGS kind of want to fail.

The fact that your competitors are making exclusives moves and gaining from it while your opening your platform and it haven't done anything tangible is just sad.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I'm expecting it to be cross gen like Breath of the Wild or any number of early PS4/XB1 games. Seems like a reasonable winning strategy, so probably not a mistake.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A big reason for Xbox One development is probably xCloud. They aren't gonna have xCloud be fully updated with Scarlet hardware at launch. This way Infinite can be on xCloud in all locations Day 1.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It fits with their strategy so I would say no.

But yeah it would be better on next-gen only, no doubt about it.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Making Halo Infinite a Scarlett exclusive would be such a horrible move it wouldn't be just as bad as OG Xbone launch but it would be 2 launch failures in a row. There is absolutely no reason for the game to be exclusive if it can run on Xbox One even if it's 720/30fps. Halo Infinite needs to reach as many people as possible and alienating that community would be a mistake not just for fans of Halo, but Gamepass as well. The best part about the direction Xbox has taken is that the hard stop is over and people can now buy next gen games at current gen prices while they wait till they can afford a next gen system.

PurpleCopper

Banned
Oct 5, 2019
Has Microsoft's strategy of NOT making that many XBOX exclusives worked for them? Because it seems like they're deliberately making only a fraction of xbox exclusives as opposed to Sony's huge PS4 exclusives.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
If Microsoft truly is not worried about selling hardware, then its the right move.
I think they should be more concerned with selling hardware tho

Sep 28, 2019
They should develop it for the Xbox one because we don't know how well the next Xbox is going to do. They should target the biggest audience available to them.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game was always an Xbox One title, they are just up-porting it to Scarlet because the timing ended up lining up and they might as well use it to drum up release hype. It's not really much different than what Nintendo did with Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild.