• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Microsoft be developing Halo:Infinite for the Xbox One?

• Yes, put the game on as many platforms as possible.

Votes: 731 46.8%
  • No, it should have been developed from the ground up for next-gen Xbox to showcase the hardware.

Votes: 830 53.2%

• Total voters

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
nah. puts pressure on the game to be good and impressive in ways that aren't overrelying on new tech, focusing more on good art and mechanical design. launch games that are obsessed with some extremely specific feature of new hardware are often bad. And I'm sure there's plenty of ways the game can scale that will make it meaningfully better to play on the new console without making the old version actively bad.

Game's gonna be dope

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Infinite will most likely developed primarly for Scarlett and high-end PC and then scaled down for Xbox One.

I mean any multiplayer-focused PC game that's trying to target high-end players is going to have to also target mid-to-low specs as well usually, unless they want the community to be so small as to be nonexistent. Almost all the work going into getting an X1 version working is work they'd be doing anyway unless they didn't want the game to sell.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a mistake to put it on xbone. They need software that showcases a reason to own next gen hardware. I think when customers compare halo:infinite to what Sony puts out there is going to be a difference and it's going to hurt them.

Like Knack 3 and Killzone (insert random subtitle here)?

I really doubt Halo looking 10% better is going to be some huge driving factor on whether people buy an Xbox or Playstation.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
It will target Scarlett, make no mistake. If they downscale it to look like ass on XBO then so be it. More people will get to play it and know that their purchase will look amazing when they upgrade to Scarlett.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
with how games scale right now, why would they lose a potential 40million user base?

even if it launches on xbox one, it will look gorgeous on scarlett

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
One thing that's sort of crazy to me is that nobody I know IRL seems to care about Halo anymore. It was a system seller back in the original Xbox days for some of these guys, but I haven't even heard anyone mention the series in years.

I barely found a co-op party for the last one.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Depends on the design honestly. If it's the typical Halo formula with tight shooting mechanics with some melee and vehicles thrown in across a decent sized map then yes the Xbox One is more that capable of giving us a good experience. If it's this big open world that is densely populated with destructible materials then I would be worried.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its releasing on pc so it already has to take into account hdd

Not really.

They could make a ssd a requirement just as they say you have to at least have windows 7 or windows 10.

but thanks to the xbox one they have to make this new game work on a slow hdd and a netbook cpu. Fantastic.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So does the majority in here just not realize that Scarlet is not "next gen" and is Xbox X 2 where there will be 3 flavors of Xbox One or am I the only one paying attention

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
Cross gen games have existed for ages and it never hurt them. The ones below are off the top of my head but I'm sure there's dozens more examples over the years

Virtua Fighter 2(Saturn and genesis) was cross-gen back in like 95 (and still the arcade version from 94 was the "best" version that was even older), Twilight Princess was on GameCube and Wii, King Kong was on PS2 and 360 at launch, call of duty 3 played on PS2 and Xbox, maybe GameCube, as well as the 360/ps3, Titanfall and Destiny were on both PS3/360 and XB1/PS4, Assassins Creed IV, Metal Gear Solid 5, etc.

This is hardly anything new, and has been happening for at least 25 years that I remember and probably before that too. It didn't hinder Virtua Fighter or Call of Duty,so I doubt it's going to ruin Halo.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really think it would be cool to have it only on next gen... but I'm glad I'll get to play it on my X thanks to Game Pass so... it's all good.

So does the majority in here just not realize that Scarlet is not "next gen" and is Xbox X 2 where there will be 3 flavors of Xbox One or am I the only one paying attention

Scarlett is next gen.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
The concern here is kind of silly with how insane the Halo trailers have looked and the footage and pictures of Flight Simulator everyone has been drooling over. Flight Simulator is certainly more ambitious in scope and scale than any kind of design shifts we may see in Halo Infinite on top of the standard Halo formula.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Is Sony making a mistake by doing DS, GOT and TLOU2 for PS4 too? No cus it is expected for enxt-gen to have cross-gen titles even from first parties and few dedicated next-gen launch title. This is a trend we got used too. We won't see the full potential of consoels until the middle of of its cycle.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
I think it's a good idea, I'm not against the idea of having a last tech demo for my Xbox One before moving to Scarlett.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I flip flop between yes and no but I'm no game designer. Recent SSD talk makes me think, damn they could really flex in interesting ways but what those would be, I don't know because does an SSD make those possible over a HDD and what they are doing, does it even need the extra capabilties. Then you look at the the audience they are trying to sell to, that's a lot of Xbox One owners to ignore but you could argue supporting varying levels of PC performance is just as mush a hinderance as Xbox One so you possibly have a narrow Scarlett base and a narrow PC base against a bigger base overall if you were to raise the bar beyond this gen. I just don't know, 343 know. There is so many questions, how would lobbies and level loading go, would you split levels, wait longer for players to join, have forced door wait section, tunnels to hide loading when it wouldn't be needed as much on Scarlett, do enemies get cut down, is AI worse because of last gen, are scenarios less, are encounters less. Again, I'm no game designer but I do flip flop between, great, more Halo for everyone then oh no, they are going to butcher this. It's impressive what game developers do on these consoles, no doubt but you often see the seams breaking and compromises to make it work even though at a glance things look and play good, time isn't kind as you start to notice. We just don't what they have in mind for the game play and multiplayer.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Has Microsoft's strategy of NOT making that many XBOX exclusives worked for them? Because it seems like they're deliberately making only a fraction of xbox exclusives as opposed to Sony's huge PS4 exclusives.
It wasn't a strategy.
wccftech.com

Phil Spencer: For a Long Time, Xbox Was like the Garage Band That Shouldn't Play Too Loud at Microsoft

Phil Spencer admitted that for a long time the Xbox division inside Microsoft was like the garage band that shouldn't play too loud.
Xbox had its budget slashed after the RROD shit really hit the fan in 2007 and it cost Microsoft $1b. There were rumours in 2014 that Microsoft was trying to flog Xbox. It only recovered when Phil got his promotion and Nadella became convinced of the Xbox vision.

Basically: don't predict the next 10 years of Xbox by looking at the last 10 years.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Would've been terrible to not have it on the one. Most people don't get consoles right away, they would be excluding millions of people who can't "jump in" right away

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it is not anything like that. Scarlet is what Xbox X was to Xbox One. Your copy of Halo Infinite is your copy for all 3 consoles

Because Halo Infinite is a cross gen game.

There will be exclusive titles on Scarlett that simply won't be on the previous consoles.

It is not part of the Xbox One family.

It won't have Xbox One in the title either.

It's a full, complete, next gen jump, same as PS4 > PS5.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I think making it a Scarlett exclusive would've been a mistake. MS want you on their ecosystem more than they want to sell you new HW, and Halo is a big incentive to stay or jump in.
This way their audience is much larger.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

There will be exclusive titles on Scarlett that simply won't be on the previous consoles.

Yeah eventually but not at launch

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
No it is not anything like that. Scarlet is what Xbox X was to Xbox One. Your copy of Halo Infinite is your copy for all 3 consoles

I don't know what you're trying to get at but Scarlett is a next Gen system in every way imaginable. Just like the PS5. MS scaling for different hardware doesn't change that fact.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
One thing that's sort of crazy to me is that nobody I know IRL seems to care about Halo anymore. It was a system seller back in the original Xbox days for some of these guys, but I haven't even heard anyone mention the series in years.

I barely found a co-op party for the last one.

It doesn't mean to have that system selling pull anymore. Look at gears. It has lost much of its luster, but it's still exciting enough to pull in for a subscription.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

I fully expect this too. Just like how Xbox One had games like DR3 and Ryse exclusive and not on 360. But it seems that people here think Scarlett won't have exclusive games, which would be a big mistake. I really want to see games that take full advantage of the new hardware.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Some of my favorite games of this generation were cross-gen, so I don't think it'll make a substantial difference if they had focused only on the new console or not.

It might look a bit better, but that's about it.
Any special tech that the game could benefit from could probably still be used without it needing to be Scarlett exclusive.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
The last game released in 2015. If they started working on Infinite after Halo 5 Xbox One would have been the right choice. How many other first parties started working exclusively on the next generation platforms back then? Likely not many, if any at all. It's too early.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know what you're trying to get at but Scarlett is a next Gen system in every way imaginable. Just like the PS5. MS scaling for different hardware doesn't change that fact.
This is not like the past. Xbox Scarlet is going to be just like the launch of the X. Your games, accessories saves everything is the same. Scarlet may not have the One branding but it's just a more powerful Xbox One. Until devs choose to ignore the old hardware there won't be exclusives and I doubt any dev would think it's wise to alienate millions of people when they don't have to anymore. Eventually maybe a year out that time may come but I doubt PS5 or Scarlet have exclusives at launch

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Like Knack 3 and Killzone (insert random subtitle here)?

I really doubt Halo looking 10% better is going to be some huge driving factor on whether people buy an Xbox or Playstation.
Woh, Knack 3 and a new Killzone were announced for both PS4/PS5?!?
When did that happen? Man, I wish Sony would have just focused on putting them on PS5. I perceive that as lessening the value of both the games and the new PS5 hardware by going cross gen.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yeah eventually but not at launch

Why though? Why wouldn't it be like the start of this console generation again, where we had games like Ryse only available for Xbox One?

And scaling back games to run on Xbox One can only go so far until the hardware just wasn't handle it anymore. Although I reckon the X should be able to handle them pretty well for a good while. Old Xbox One though, hope they drop that asap.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
It doesn't mean to have that system selling pull anymore. Look at gears. It has lost much of its luster, but it's still exciting enough to pull in for a subscription.
Gears is an interesting one. Because three of the people I'm talking about (myself included) bought a 360 ASAP after playing Gears for the first time. Then we all fell off for the most part. (I've at least played them all, but not been stoked.) Then we all really got back into the latest one.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Yes, but Nintendo's emphasis when it comes to making games and Microsoft's emphasis are vastly different thus far.

Nintendo are in a class all their own when it comes to gameplay. A game like BoTW would never have come out for a team that works at Sony or MS, especially with all the necessary emphasis on pretty graphics. Nintendo just does what they want, and that works for them

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Gears is an interesting one. Because three of the people I'm talking about (myself included) bought a 360 ASAP after playing Gears for the first time. Then we all fell off for the most part. (I've at least played them all, but not been stoked.) Then we all really got back into the latest one.

I strongly believe there's more buzz and more excitement around the game because it's so much more accessible now. Particularly being on Steam. " you should buy an Xbox to play Gears 5" is a harder sell these days." You should buy gears 5 to play Gears 5" is awesome!

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope because they need to concentrate on the biggest install base and where they will sell the best, They can scale it up after.
The Elder Scrolls 6 will use next gen hardware to create a world that wasn't possible on the current hardware. This is not about the graphics.

I don't think people would be happy with Halo Infinite if it was just Halo 5 with the best gfx ever.
if halo infinite is halo 5 with better graphics than the game is going to have way more issues than it not being developed exclusively for Scarlett.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Tbh I doubt the Xbox One is incapable to run pretty much any next gen games in the first few years or so, with enough graphical downgrades. Theyll just make the campaign 30fps and have really long loading times and maybe a short LoD or whatever. With MS's new strategy of putting their games everywhere on their ecosystem its a good move.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
SoT system requirements for example

8dfb659f-a017-434e-a41c-38487360f224.png

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
I would feel differently if Microsoft wasn't taking a PC-like approach with game compatibility, but they are. PC games have various settings to run on different specs and many are obviously fine with it and/or still impressed with visuals so I don't see a big issue here. The game will get a lot of attention as long as it looks great on Scarlett. Heck, the vast majority of next gen games will be on PS4 & Xbox One during the first two years anyway— especially with crossplay & backwards compatibility being standard.

Halo Infinite looking better than Gears 5 on Xbox One X would be enough more than likely haha.