• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should Microsoft be developing Halo:Infinite for the Xbox One?

• Yes, put the game on as many platforms as possible.

Votes: 731 46.8%
  • No, it should have been developed from the ground up for next-gen Xbox to showcase the hardware.

Votes: 830 53.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
If the trailer looks incredible, what words in your vocab have you left for this?

not sure what you are getting at. incredible doesn't have a cap for me when it comes to game graphics. Games this gen look incredible. Games next gen will look incredible. Obviously games will keep looking better, but I ain't here to act like this gen's games or Halo Infinite don't look friggin awesome already.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
When Microsoft's strategy first became clear I thought a lot of people were surprisingly concerned about cross gen titles, given the state of PC gaming. But the more I hear about benefits of an ssd baseline and understand just how much more powerful the cpu is (which means way better ai, among other things), the more I get dubious about this... Will I have to get a PS5 to get a true uncompromised next gen experience ?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah eventually but not at launch

We'll see, I also doubt there will be many exclusives at launch but that is the best way to attract initial buyers.

I fully expect this too. Just like how Xbox One had games like DR3 and Ryse exclusive and not on 360. But it seems that people here think Scarlett won't have exclusive games, which would be a big mistake. I really want to see games that take full advantage of the new hardware.

I'd guess whatever the new Forza is will be exclusive to Scarlett, but yeah, show me full on next gen games asap.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think some people make a good point, Halo Infinite didn't start development in the last two or so years, it will be based on Xbox One tech because they started making it 4+ years ago. Could they have made the switch, perhaps but it must have been designed with the Xbox One as the base more or less so in the end it doesn't really matter about Scarlett.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I strongly believe there's more buzz and more excitement around the game because it's so much more accessible now. Particularly being on Steam. " you should buy an Xbox to play Gears 5" is a harder sell these days." You should buy gears 5 to play Gears 5" is awesome!
True. I think this tells us that Halo: Infinite needs to be excellent on its own.

For that matter, just like OP said, Halo 1 was excellent on its own, and so was Gears (hence it selling the system). But much of that was due to the improvements of the physical hardware and such. Halo made a FPS actually fun on a console, and Gears had quite a lot going on I'd never seen before.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
It's silly to develop any AAA expensive game for a next gen console exclusively when next gen consoles will only sell between 2-4 million consoles in the first 2 months or so and the attachment rate wont be anywhere near 100% (people are going to buy Call of Duty for instance instead of Halo or just play Fortnite, etc). Meanwhile, the potential existing audience of a game will be 40-50+ million for Xbox One or in the case of PS4 100 million+ owners.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
it should have been a showcase for Scarlett but seeing as MS is acting like they don't care about selling boxes anymore, it aligns with what they are doing business wise. People can't miss what they never had.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Reading some posts in here seems some ppl want cross gen games for the next 7-8 years....

Interesting.

At some point I would hope MS would want to show off the new shiny toy. If the SSD talk really does mean different game design is possible, you can't have every game be cross gen.

Hell, even more ram should mean different design.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Did Sony make a mistake by developing The Last of Us for PS3?

Clearly not.

I think the plan if I'm not mistaken is the next Halo will be launching across both consoles the same day, so in that sense it's not quite the same situation.

To answer the OP's question though, no I don't think it's a mistake. I think supporting your existing user-base with new content while also offering new options for those who want it to be the better idea.

Aren't the big PS5 games cross gen as well?

I don't think anything has actually been confirmed in that regard.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They'll be fine either way. But having infinite on Scarlett only as a big reason to get the box would be a great selling point. But Xbox fans are gonna get a Scarlett anyway so there isn't a bad side to having it on old hardware too.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's silly to develop any AAA expensive game for a next gen console exclusively when next gen consoles will only sell between 2-4 million consoles in the first 2 months or so and the attachment rate wont be anywhere near 100% (people are going to buy Call of Duty for instance instead of Halo or just play Fortnite, etc). Meanwhile, the potential existing audience of a game will be 40-50+ million for Xbox One or in the case of PS4 100 million+ owners.

It's a strategic investment you make in the adoption of your new console - if it brings people to your new console and thus helps keep them engaged in your platform for another 5 years, then it's not 'silly'. The short term unit economics aren't exactly applicable.

As for the OP's question, I don't know if it's a mistake or not, it's a trade off. But I think flagship next-gen games, built from the ground up for next gen, would be also desirable and exciting.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Reading some posts in here seems some ppl want cross gen games for the next 7-8 years....

Interesting.

At some point I would hope MS would want to show off the new shiny toy. If the SSD talk really does mean different game design is possible, you can't have every game be cross gen.

Hell, even more ram should mean different design.
IMO we will start to see, for lack of a better term, "next gen exclusive" games start to be launched about a year out from both PS5 and Xbox. Dev kits haven't even been available for a year yet and looking back at past console launches it seems this is what should be happening anyway. The hardcore can get games at their best and be ready for the future and when the next gen games are ready a price drop can happen and really get people excited. To me it seems like allot of people here haven't been picking up the signs from both Sony and Microsoft

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
If they can make Gears 5 wonderfully optimized, Halo Infinite should not be too much of a hassle

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
We'll see, I also doubt there will be many exclusives at launch but that is the best way to attract initial buyers.

I'd guess whatever the new Forza is will be exclusive to Scarlett, but yeah, show me full on next gen games asap.

Definitely possible. So far they haven't officially confirmed a new Forza for Xbox One yet, did they? Doesn't necessarily mean much, but still. At the same time I actually CAN see them not having any exclusives at launch because they did say "no more generations" and tons of people will stick with a Xbox One S or X.

But the difference between the S and X is huge, so don't bother with S anymore and keep crossen between X and Scarlett. That's what I hope.

Aren't the big PS5 games cross gen as well?

Well, The last of Us 2 is coming February 2020 and officially Ghost of Tsushima is a PS4 game but that's obviously going to be coming to PS5 as well. But what about Guerilla's next game? Bluepoint's game? I believe that will be PS5 only.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Their in a tough spot, this is their premier game. The series that put them on the map so it makes sense they'll want to target the largest audience but it's somewhat disappointing knowing this will be held back by the OG Xbox One.

I would even be okay if the limit was the Xbox One X and not the OG Xbox One. But for it to run on the original Xbox One there's no way they can maximize the potential of a launch Scarlett game.

Halo needs to be a powerhouse. With that said the trailer for infinity looked pretty good. The details on the pilot solider and the MC specifically looked awesome. If the game can look like that and run at 4K 60fps in game then thats a feat.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, is Sony making a mistake developing The Last Of Us 2 for the PS4?

Even though it won't be quite be the same situation, this is a good way to look at it. 100 million users are not going to throw their PS4 out the window just because Sony says go. Most of them are going to get their PS5 down the line. Treat them right, continue support, and they'll have confidence when it's time to upgrade.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
People are assuming there won't be games only available on Scarlett at launch and maybe not for several years to come. But has MS said anything remotely similar to that yet? I don't really recall it.

And as for the games being held back because of old hardware, is that really the case? Isn't it similar to PC gaming? Also, if the developers make games with the Scarlett /PS5 as lead platform and scale those games down to have them run on X and Pro, why is that a bad thing? Assuming it'll go like that of course.

The question remains, will these games even run and look decent on the first Xbox One and PS4?

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
With PC being a platform that Halo will appear on day one it will need to be scalable to low end hardware anyways so it's not a big deal that it will be on XB1.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Nah, Nintendo already proved twice that model works fine

Edit: Also, really confusing when the thread title and poll question are phrased opposite

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
My gut says yes. Though it honestly depends on what 1st party titles Microsoft have ready for next-gen Xbox.

souppboy

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Look how scalable gears 5 was.

Came here to say this. Gears 5 on PC and even on X showcased the long-term mindset of Microsoft's first-party studios. The Ultra textures for Gears 5 are definitely forward-focused and I think this is a smart play on the part of Microsoft. "Target hardware" is going to be less of a concept for Microsoft as they focus on scalability and future-proofing games.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, rewind this back a few years and you'd probably see "Should Nintendo be developing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the Wii U?" That turned out ok, despite being developed for two platforms.

I know the scenario isn't exactly the same, but I'm not particularly worried at this point. But, we haven't really seen much of it in action so far to know the broader implications to Microsoft's decision...

Also, most wouldn't argue that a high-end looking PC game is being held back because it also offers lower-end graphics options. I think that's probably the closest comparison - Microsoft will clearly be wanting to show how much better Halo: Infinite looks on Scarlett in the run up to launch.
To be fair, the power gap between the Wii U and the Switch is quite small in comparison. Theres not a lot they can do on Switch, which also couldn't been done on Wii U. Some things for sure, but not a huge gap.

I doubt botw 2 is going to be night and day.

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Its a cross gen game OP, what do you expect? BOTW is a cross gen game and still looks amazing, of course they can do more with scarlett, but there's no reason to artificially limit sales when there are many users who wont auto upgrade. i'm glad sony is not forcing all of their late PS4 games to PS5 exclusives for that reason

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I think the poll question should match up with the thread title.

That said, I don't think it's a mistake. Halo doesn't honestly strike me as the type of game that has to showcase what makes the Scarlett great, and it will look even better than on One X. I think it just needs to be fun and provide an enticing starting point for those hopping back on the Xbox train. I don't think it's too dissimilar from BOTW or Twilight Princess in this regard.

I think Forza is where the technical push will come from and Halo where the community/brand push will come from.

Also, this also helps set a realistic bar to prevent technical issues on day one and allows them to go even bigger on Halo 7.

Jan 21, 2019

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are more than twice as many PS4 out there than Xbox at this point, and TLoU2 has so much more visibility than Halo as a franchise that this argument has zero merit. TLoU2 will simply annihilate Halo in sales ...
Point being, is TLoU2 being held back by aiming for PS4 , which is what I understood the poster you replied to meant. And as a franchise, Halo has generated more money and sales the TLoU as a franchise, there's no contest. If Infinite is as good as Halo should be, and combined as a Scarlet launch show piece, I doubt it's being annihilated by any 1st party title.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
How though? I highly doubt they are altering scarlett in such a way that making separate versions is hindering one or the other. You are just optimizing one version for on bit of hardware and vice versa.
Because you're severely limiting the gameplay and world design complexity by also having to make the game run on a much weaker hardware.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
What they should've done is make it from PC, to Xbox One X and beyond. That would certainly make things better. But to build it around Xbox One is a bad mistake.

rumbling

Mar 22, 2018
I cant think of a single game this gen that really could not have happened in a dialed down version last gen. Remember GTA V is a last gen game. Expecting revolution on launch titles for next gen is very optimistic.

I think it is 100% correct to have a dialed down version of Halo Infinite run on Xbox One and toaster PC.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. I want to say no, but at the same time the massive disparity between the CPUs of current gen vs next gen and having to design considering the weakest denominator makes me worry there's only so ambition they can be with it considering it's more open. Open games especially tend to be CPU demanding.

reddragon220

Sep 7, 2019
I think that everyone benefits when game engines are developed to be robust and flexibly adapt to multiple platforms. The xbox one s version certainly won't be anything to write home about. However the effort to optimize and follow best coding practices, rather than hacking for a target platform, will ensure that infinites code base will be portable and benefit from future hardware improvements beyond Scarlett.

Unless Scarlett has some earth shattering leap like the jump from a d-pad to an analogue stick or 2d to 3d I don't see this constraint impacting the game design too much.

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
Releasing the game on Xbox One is 100% necessary because of multiplayer. They will be releasing the game on PC, but you don't have any guarantee that PC will compensate for the loss of players if it doesn't release on Xbox One. In Gears 4, PC players accounted for less than 10% of the player-base.

Low initial player numbers can send game's multiplayer into death spiral if players do not tolerate long matchmaking times or low quality matches(by skill or connection), and that is what happened to EU population of Halo 5 and MCC, while NA player-base is still holding strong.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Brace yourselves for Horizon 2. They have been working on the game since their dlc released and the ps5 releases at the end of 2020, so they will have had 3 years for this game with an engine that they have shared and developed with Kojima Productions. Shits gonna be insane.

Meh, Have played Horizon and I can't be exited about the sequel. Not my kinda game.
ghost of tsushima on the other hand and the next GOW. Daaaamn!