• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, they clearly already won by buying several studios and having the most powerful console. Now they only need a good name for their consoles.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It's a challenge, but it's not their biggest challenge.

For example, Xbox One is a terrible name. It came from the much maligned "all-in-one" focus but it stuck and people don't really think about it in that context anymore so it worked out fine for them. Microsoft can call their next console whatever name they want and at some point, people will adjust to it. It's fine. Xbox Infinite sounds good to me. It matches Halo, they could do it with their other games like Forza Infinite, Gears Infinite - like how Nintendo sometimes names their games based on the console.

Their greater challenge is making sure they put out world-class masterpiece games, and as consistently as Nintendo and Sony. Also not going overboard on the cloud streaming stuff when they do their proper next-gen reveal, or Sony might take the "simplicity of physical discs" argument and use it against them again.

Mula

Banned
Jan 18, 2019
Two SKUs, also the console after the one
The fourth Generation for MS

Xbox two4all. Short the tall ;)

Last edited:

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
This is what I'm hoping for, but as I was trying to say in the OP, I wouldn't mind if they actually stuck with the project names.

Let's face it: they could also call it "Xbox Bozzo" or "Xbox Racoon", that would not matter that much.

We've seen consoles with wonderful names fail (Dreamcast! :'( ) and consoles with names like "Wii" have a hyge success.

The most important thing is the substance, how they introduce the console, the price and the games.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It should simply be "Xbox 4" but for some reason Microsoft is really, really bad at naming their consoles. How else do you think we got Xbox One SAD edition?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
They should give it a normal name like Greg or Pete
I ran a forum where everyone hated the XBone name so they called it "Steve."

It kind of drove me nuts because they'd call it Steve in thread titles and mess with the SEO of the site lol

That was like 9 years ago but I still know some people out there, who posted on a long dead forum, still call their Xbox "Steve", and it gives me comfort.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Xbox 5

Treat the X as a single entity and tie with Playstation.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess only Xbox (called Xbox 2020 commonly). It is a platform now than not only involves hardware

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that Xbox seems unable to just call it the Xbox 4 because they don't want to look less than the PlayStation 5.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
xbox quad. hip, sporty, and filled with synergistic opportunities

they can probably make that work

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox Plus - Anaconda
Xbox - Lockhart

Or something simple like that. They really need to hit the reset button on the naming convention.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think their biggest challenge is marketing. I find it to be cringeworthy most of the time. Of course the name plays some part in this but even with a great name they need better marketing that feels less "fake" (I don't know how else to put it). All their marketing usually has that feeling of being market researched to hell and back and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't know if it's just the US centric approach they usually take that makes it fail in Europe so hard, but they clearly have a huge image problem here.