• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you percieve Minecraft Steve as being whitewashed in certain promotional material and merchandise

• Yes, and Mojang should fix this

Votes: 336 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 438 56.6%

• Total voters

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a pretty obvious instance of colorism to me. It's odd how much the official toys and merchandise differ from his in-game appearance.
GUEST_d5270763-187d-453a-a884-6da147a95e14

dims

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure what posts like these are trying to do. I have never played any minecraft game and yet just by actually reading the topic I can plainly see that the character had a brown tone that was made lighter in merchandise. So what if you never saw him as a PoC? Unless you're blind, you should be able to see that the merchandise made of him has had lighter skin compared to his official darker skin coloring. Just admit that, it's not that hard.
I wasn't commenting on the whitewashing of Steve, which does exist..but the auxiliary conversation on people claiming Steve to be POC, but it's not a big deal to me either way. Steve was most likely meant to be racially ambiguous anyway.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
I wasn't commenting on the whitewashing of Steve, which does exist..but the auxiliary conversation on people claiming Steve to be POC, but it's not a big deal to me either way. Steve was most likely meant to be racially ambiguous anyway.

Maybe that is what you, and several posters are doing. But let's be real, by only chiming in saying you don't think he's a PoC and not even mentioning the whitewashing you are obscuring the real reason this whole situation sucks. Maybe it's because none of you are PoC and don't see it or care. Maybe it's because you don't understand why this is important and so you didn't think to comment on the actual meat of the discussion. or maybe you're bigots who are trying to subtly steer the conversation a certain way. i don't know. I don't even comment on Era very much. I'm a lurker. But come on guys, this is some BS. The poll is actually making me very upset.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact is that Steve's getting whitewashed, and no one cares to notice or talk about it. The outcome of the poll is what I expected and highlights what I wanted to. I hope this thread acts as a signal boost for this issue and more people become aware of the idea and spread it.

Truly Gargantuan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that is what you, and several posters are doing. But let's be real, by only chiming in saying you don't think he's a PoC and not even mentioning the whitewashing you are obscuring the real reason this whole situation sucks. Maybe it's because none of you are PoC and don't see it or care. Maybe it's because you don't understand why this is important and so you didn't think to comment on the actual meat of the discussion. or maybe you're bigots who are trying to subtly steer the conversation a certain way. i don't know. I don't even comment on Era very much. I'm a lurker. But come on guys, this is some BS. The poll is actually making me very upset.
I'm black so i do care about black representation in video games. Just not in Minecraft personally. I changed my skin from default the very second I could.
But I think the poll results are the result of people misunderstanding what whitewashing even is. A lot of folks just assume it means they're changing the race of a character from black to white.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
I'm black so i do care about black representation in video games. Just not in Minecraft personally. I changed my skin from default the very second I could.
But I think the poll results are the result of people misunderstanding what whitewashing even is. A lot of folks just assume it means they're changing the race of a character from black to white.

Yeah I definitely agree on the whitewashing, and I'm glad you followed up. Whitewashing isn't just changing a PoC to a white person, it is lightening the skin due to some weird standard of beauty. It's messed up and, in this example, blatant. I can see now that we do have the same thoughts on the subject, I just wish I had known that from your earlier post. I'm sorry if I came in a little hard. This is just really bothering me right now.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
This is something I actually noticed a while ago looking at Lego

It's sad that such a huge potential POC gaming icon so frequently gets whitewashed or his skin color hand waved away (by calling it a tan or whatever)

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
If the Steve avatar with the darker skin tone is the default in Minecraft then I don't see how anyone can deny he has been whitewashed.
He doesn't appear like that in almost any other form of merchandising or even in the 'story mode' game.

Truly Gargantuan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I definitely agree on the whitewashing, and I'm glad you followed up. Whitewashing isn't just changing a PoC to a white person, it is lightening the skin due to some weird standard of beauty. It's messed up and, in this example, blatant. I can see now that we do have the same thoughts on the subject, I just wish I had known that from your earlier post. I'm sorry if I came in a little hard. This is just really bothering me right now.
No harm no foul. I realize my original post wasn't the best or most thought out for this topic anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh definitely. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a piece of Minecraft merch (toys, shirts, etc) where it had anything but a Caucasian Steve or Alex

That's why I was always shocked that the characters from MC Story Mode never got any merch. You had all walks of life represented IIRC. Hell, even the main character Jesse/Jessie could have different variants based on race and gender.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would Notch the piece of shit actually put a black character in his games?

Food for thought. Probably just a really tan white dude

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I honestly thought he was white. My son has a few lego sets and he's definitely got a pink rather than tan face in those.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would Notch the piece of shit actually put a black character in his games?

Food for thought. Probably just a really tan white dude

Again, there was a time early on in Minecraft's development where it seemed that Notch was pretty progressive. But you're ignoring the factual point. He's white-washed in all of his merch.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
As much that's why I wish they would have kept Vanessa with her original skin tone, the Minecraft thing feels even worse in some ways since what's the point in changing Steve from what he was if what people are saying is true users generally just uploaded skin anyway. Why even bother changing his tone, it doesn't matter right, so leave him brown.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I feel that too many posts are overlooking or ignoring what whitewashing actually is.

It's not only about changing the race of a character, but changing their skin tone to something lighter to appeal to a shitty (and racist) beauty standard.

Stop with these "he's just tanned" and "he doesn't have a race" comments. Damn.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure what posts like these are trying to do. I have never played any minecraft game and yet just by actually reading the topic I can plainly see that the character had a brown tone that was made lighter in merchandise. So what if you never saw him as a PoC? Unless you're blind, you should be able to see that the merchandise made of him has had lighter skin compared to his official darker skin coloring. Just admit that, it's not that hard.

Lol, what I'm trying to do is say that I have never seen him as a poc, I've always seen him as white...is it that hard to understand?

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
Lol, what I'm trying to do is say that I have never seen him as a poc, I've always seen him as white...is it that hard to understand?
Sure, but what about the whitewashing of the character? You know, the actual meat of this topic? And remember, whitewashing here means deliberately lightening his skin, which is clearly shown. Not mentioning this at all in such a sensitive topic is offputting.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I feel that too many posts are overlooking or ignoring what whitewashing actually is.

It's not only about changing the race of a character, but changing their skin tone to something lighter to appeal to a shitty (and racist) beauty standard.

Stop with these "he's just tanned" and "he doesn't have a race" comments. Damn.

I'll buy that Lego changed Steve's color to make him more appealing to white suburbanites i'll not defend them, but that feels like a totally different ballgame than the Vanessa in Virtua Fighter thing.

FloBoJo

Nov 5, 2017
Maybe the No's are going off the thread title and not the poll question? Voted Yes myself.

/honest question and not "bothsides"-ing here

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but what about the whitewashing of the character? You know, the actual meat of this topic? And remember, whitewashing here means deliberately lightening his skin, which is clearly shown. Not mentioning this at all in such a sensitive topic is offputting.

Well I guess you can't argue with the fact he's been made whiter, but can you whitewash a white person?

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Dismissive Drive-By Posting
go outside for once PLEASE i'm BEGGING YOU to breath fresh air

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
Well I guess you can't argue with the fact he's been made whiter, but can you whitewash a white person?
Definitely. Plus, it's not like he's for sure a tanned/dirty white guy. That's just what you always thought. I'm not sure how given the images in this topic, but you a lot of people feel the same way. I wonder if this is the default white effect in practice.

But yes, lightening someone's skin is pretty much whitewashing. It's basically saying that lighter skin is more marketable, or desirable, or beautiful, and thus, darker skin is not. And it sucks. But something is clearly going here given the evidence provided. And that Vanessa image is just infuriating.

Also, yes, that Catboy pic is clearly someone with darker skin. It doesn't matter if he's white or not. He has browner skin, and I'm sure Gravy Boat does as well. Intentionally lightening that skin up is fucked up.

Stop coming into this topic to argue the semantics of whether a fictional character is actually a PoC. Address the actual problem with lightening of skin directly, because anything else is just distracting, unhelpful noise.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I don't know if it was done purposefully or not, but Steve has always to me been in an area where he's a shade that could be read as multiple ethnicities. He could be light skinned black, or hispanic, or tanned white and his lack of detail and facial features make it hard to determine where he falls in at. That being said they are definitely making him whiter in all their products and should stop.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't play minecraft

And as an outsider, I thought Steve was the lighter version all along, while the darker was an alternate skin

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was Notch quite liberal progressive before he became a billionaire, did money change him?

Outside of the whole being rich thing, I seem to recall he had a rough period right around when Minecraft 1.0 officially launched. I think a family member died, and he became divorced. A cynical techbro with a large twitter presence usually ends up poorly.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Whitewashing happens to any race. 'Fairness' creams are frequently sold in South/east Asian countries as a skin lightener.

DsenZqYXoAEH_Lr.jpg

Colorism is a pretty common occurrence and isn't always related to race, though racism reinforces it.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Outside of the whole being rich thing, I seem to recall he had a rough period right around when Minecraft 1.0 officially launched. I think a family member died, and he became divorced. A cynical techbro with a large twitter presence usually ends up poorly.
Not to mention he legitimately doesn't have friends and after the buyout it made him insanely depressed and all he had was social media. Which really fucked him up for the worst.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Definitely. Plus, it's not like he's for sure a tanned/dirty white guy. That's just what you always thought. I'm not sure how given the images in this topic, but you a lot of people feel the same way. I wonder if this is the default white effect in practice.

But yes, lightening someone's skin is pretty much whitewashing. It's basically saying that lighter skin is more marketable, or desirable, or beautiful, and thus, darker skin is not. And it sucks. But something is clearly going here given the evidence provided. And that Vanessa image is just infuriating.

Also, yes, that Catboy pic is clearly someone with darker skin. It doesn't matter if he's white or not. He has browner skin, and I'm sure Gravy Boat does as well. Intentionally lightening that skin up is fucked up.

Stop coming into this topic to argue the semantics of whether a fictional character is actually a PoC. Address the actual problem with lightening of skin directly, because anything else is just distracting, unhelpful noise.
^ All of this.