• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter World:
  • # Small Monsters: 18
  • # Large Monsters: 31
  • # Total Monsters: 49
Monster Hunter Generations:
  • # Small Monsters: 34
  • # Large Monsters: 73
  • # Total Monsters: 107
Monster Hunter XX:
  • # Small Monsters: 36
  • # Large Monsters: 93
  • # Total Monsters: 129
I haven't played World(watched a lot of it), but I think I care more about fighting new and varied monsters rather than having QOL changes. Not wowed by a lot of the new or returning monsters either. It's why I'm playing Generations now and hoping for XX to be localized. I might play World eventually, but I'm not that excited about it.

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I'll never be able to come back to MHXX / Previous titles after MHW.

That's why I hope Capcom isn't wasting time on MHXX localisation but is working on a MHW port on switch instead

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No.

It's better because of the higher difficulty and better endgame (deviants + hypers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tempered) though.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I mean 4U is the best one. The areas in X/XX make it hard for it to be better.

I mean honestly it's hard to say World is the best one because we're comparing it to completed games. If they keep adding content then eventually World will be the best content wise .

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Nope.
Honestly, removing loading times between areas is a way bigger improvement than "more monsters."

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
If that's your only metric sure, but as someone who has hundreds of hours on 4U and Gen, World is on a different class altogether. I'll never be able to go back to the handheld games.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that simple. World has fewer monsters, but they end up having more "space" because the areas are huger, so they feel more defined in their presence.

That said, I think from a design point of view, XX has better monsters, but that's unfair as it's a "best of" game. It also, naturally, has better monster variety as a result, too.

They will add more monsters to World anyway.

Assuming the leaked roster of monsters planned for the base game is true, isn't it still a pretty small amount compared to other games in the series?

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Quality over quantity any day. Part of the problem with some of the older MH games like MHFU and MHXX was where they would just copy and paste in older monsters without changing their dated hitboxes and animations resulting in their fights just being annoying and messy in comparison. I've still got PTSD from G-Rank Yian Garuga in MH4U...

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest I would not be surprised if MHXX will have equal success as MH wold due to is being portable.

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lots and lots of milking to finally have MH XX. MHW is the next step, so less monsters is not a surprise.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Generations has a lot of balancing problems. Largely in part due to the stances, and from what I hear XX over-corrected this with middling results with its new highest tier hunts.

Most prolific community fans would argue that XX isn't a strong entry despite its massive slate of rehashed content. (4U is probably the better comparison despite that it has G-rank content which World lacks)

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Err, no, of course not. "Quality over quantity" is a saying for a reason.

That said, I'd love to give XX a try after loving World. Curious to see if I could enjoy it.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What a categorical thread.
In any case I didn't know that the difference was so huge.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Monster Hunter World:
  • # Small Monsters: 18
  • # Large Monsters: 31
  • # Total Monsters: 49

Monster Hunter XX:
  • # Small Monsters: 36
  • # Large Monsters: 93
  • # Total Monsters: 129
I haven't played World(watched a lot of it), but I think I care more about fighting new and varied monsters rather than having QOL changes. Not wowed by a lot of the new or returning monsters either. It's why I'm playing Generations now and hoping for XX to be localized. I might play World eventually, but I'm not that excited about it.

OP you need to understand that XX is a G-Rank game.

G Rank games in principle will always have more content over a non-G Rank game.

A better comparison is using Monster Hunter X / Generations content against World.

Or wait until World G Rank expansion comes out and do this comparison again.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Reusing old ass assets vs finally built from the ground up new ones.
Why do people never understand this, same shit in fighting games.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know shit about Monster Hunter but generally the game with better gameplay is the winner.

Still, that seems like a small amount of monsters in world. Again, knowing very little about the series I just assumed there would be more than that.

OP
OP
lupianwolf

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
OP you need to understand that XX is a G-Rank game.

G Rank games in principle will always have more content over a non-G Rank game.

A better comparison is using Monster Hunter X / Generations content against World.

Or wait until World G Rank expansion comes out and do this comparison again.

ReCross

Oct 25, 2017
You should make this thread again when World gets G-Rank.

And no, it doesn't "automatically" make it better.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
After an endless amount of grinding in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, I thought I was done with the series. World pulled me back in, and I am never giving up those QoL changes. World is everything that makes the series great, and it cut most of the crap that made them tedious.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know shit about Monster Hunter but generally the game with better gameplay is the winner.

Still, that seems like a small amount of monsters in world. Again, knowing very little about the series I just assumed there would be more than that.

XX is the last 3DS game released, so it has a lot of previous titles to iterate on. Plus it has G Rank.

World is the first time in a long time Capcom had to update models. It also doesn't have G Rank, and isn't an expansion like MH4 Ultimate.

That explains a large part of the discrepancy. It's sort of a meaningless comparison but also an apt one as the comparison doesn't work to begin with.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
XX has a lot of reused enemies from previous games OP. That makes it unfair for a brand new current gen MH built from the ground up which will be limited in that respect. And they have said they are considering adding new monsters for free post launch, so there is that too

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Given 12 months of Monster Hunter World content appearing and the potential of a G Rank expansion, then we can revisit this thread. XX is basically a culmination of load of old monsters and additions. World is a fresh start, so it has a good chance of being great gameplay and loads of hunting material down the line.

Oct 28, 2017
MHW is a game that throws off the shackles of the old engines, and redefines how these monsters are fought. The vertical gameplay, turfs, roaming beasts and chasing mechanisms makes any arguement for volume moot. because an encounter in MHW is a much richer experience then an encounter on the old hardware.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
It takes 6-12 months to develop a monster in World.

This isn't the kind of thing that you can just say "Just add more!"

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
People saying quality > quantity ...what difference in quality is there?

I don't really see a huge change in monster design or mechanic. The "new" monsters are basically reskins or a mix of two old designs. Only a few feel fresh and from the ground up.

Having more space is not really a good thing. The enemies are not really designed with some cool interactions or anything specific to the environment.

The qol changes are nice to have, especially for new or returning players. but in a game that is basically "me vs giant monster" the monster count is king.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of people saying Dark Souls 2 is better than BB, because it has much more content and especially more weapons.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really see a huge change in monster design or mechanic. The "new" monsters are basically reskins or a mix of two old designs. Only a few feel fresh and from the ground up.

Having more space is not really a good thing. The enemies are not really designed with some cool interactions or anything specific to the environment.

The qol changes are nice to have, especially for new or returning players. but in a game that is basically "me vs giant monster" the monster count is king.

I find the weapon move additions to be vastly superior to the things found in past styles/games.

Ranged weapons are actually playable now.

The flow of the entire map adds a lot of fun, especially with certain weapons when swinging from beetles or sliding is added in (e.g spiderman swing into charged up hammer).

The QoL changes are a game changer in improving the overall feel and play of the game.

And more. The base game is better. Which means when content is added, it will continue to be better.

Looking at monster count alone is foolish.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. Honestly XX has more unique monsters with stuff like Seltas, Seltas Queen, Zamtrios, the apes, the crabs, Najarala, Nerscylla, etc.

World has Tobi-Kadachi, Odogaron, and Legiana as far as truly original monsters go. Paolumu is cool in the air but it spends the majority of the fight on the ground where it is just a poor imitation of Rathian.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

The only cool thing is the whole turf war system, which allows the monsters to feel like they have a stronger presence in the area.

Aside from that, I'm kinda perplexed if people played older games and thought the monster roster here is stellar. It's the QoL changes around the game that make it better, not so much the content itself.

If we're talking content aside from refinement, World is pretty lacking.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
MHW is a game that throws off the shackles of the old engines, and redefines how these monsters are fought. The vertical gameplay, turfs, roaming beasts and chasing mechanisms makes any arguement for volume moot. because an encounter in MHW is a much richer experience then an encounter on the old hardware.

There was pretty solid vertical gameplay from MH4 on.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Fair point.

However I think another reasonable point to make is MH4 team are the ones that developed World. They aren't recycling assets from the 3DS games here, which is the case for Generations X and XX, which a lot of the assets were ported over from the other 3DS MH titles.

Monster Hunter: World however does not have this luxury. All of the character models are of much higher detail. Pretty much outside of basic skeleton rigging. All of the high res Monster assets are being recreated from scratch.

For the first HD console MH title that doesn't have carryovers to pad it's monster count, it is a good starting point.

There is no recycling from a previous game being done here. The existing monsters from older games are being recreated for World.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
While the number of monsters and quality in MH4U and MHXX is great, it just will take a ton of time to get new HD monsters. The sequels to world should have a more comfortable number of monsters, since they can start recycling again.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
There's no games that are automatically better by quantity alone.

That said, Every vanilla MH game (outside of 1 and 3) has more content than World, no need to compare with XX or G expansions. We'll see if World ever catches up with those, it needs to catch up with the regular versions first.

OP
OP
lupianwolf

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Given 12 months of Monster Hunter World content appearing and the potential of a G Rank expansion, then we can revisit this thread. XX is basically a culmination of load of old monsters and additions. World is a fresh start, so it has a good chance of being great gameplay and loads of hunting material down the line.

It feels shitty to release a new game with less content than the previous ones(Generations and XX) and then to possibly pay again for more monsters with G Rank. If people keep talking about 'quality over quantity' then why are they adding more monsters in?. I doubt these people are going to object to more being added?.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly what turned me off to the newer 3ds ones was how many monsters there were. So the face would fixes that a bit is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.