• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is this a good counter to Timed Exclusive

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
inspired by Grubb's tweet

We know Sony has been making Timed Exclusive deals with big 3rd Party (Bethesda and SE)

MS hasn't been able to get a huge 3rd Party on Day 1 but they did get some big names within a couple of months from their original release (Metro Exodus, DMCV and MHW). What if Xbox decides to go bigger with a start of a new generation.

Xbox getting games on Game Pass doesn't stop devs from releasing the game everywhere else. It just makes Game Pass (and Xbox) more appealing.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine how much it would cost to get AAA third parties on gamepass day one. I think they will just do their own exclusives like we have already seen.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
For me it is.

It's basically win-win-win-win:
1) Xbox players get it free in GP
2) Playstation players don't NOT get it
3) Publisher gets a big chunk of money for going into GP and gets to still sell on all platforms
4) Microsoft gets value added to further their GP service and gets the goodwill from their customers

What's not to like?

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
This one is actually good for consumers, while timed exclusivity isn't.

I'm not sure how it would work for Microsoft, but I'd love this as Xbox player.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I wonder how much that would cost to get big third party games on gamepass day 1. Is it equivalent to a timed exclusive in terms of cost? No clue.

I think timed exclusives are dumb because you're essentially paying for a game to not appear on platforms. Hate that shit.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm going to say Microsoft would have to spend way more money to get games on GP Day 1 than Sony would in getting timed exclusives.

That said, Microsoft is also getting timed exclusives so there's something Jeff seems to be ignoring.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
For me it is.

It's basically win-win-win-win. Xbox players get it free in GP, Playstation players don't NOT get it, Publisher gets a big chunk of money for going into GP, Publisher gets to still sell on all platforms.

What's not to like?

Yup! It sounds like the perfect way to money-hat tbh

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
For me it is.

It's basically win-win-win-win. Xbox players get it free in GP, Playstation players don't NOT get it, Publisher gets a big chunk of money for going into GP and gets to still sell on all platforms, Microsoft gets value added to further their GP service and gets the goodwill from their customers.

What's not to like?

Really does seem like the Only Good Moneyhat

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they will. They'd rather purchase studios to pump out titles for them. It's why the WB games deal kind of makes sense. Even without the i.p. Those are talented studios.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS should absolutely do it. And cannot be seen as anti consumer, would take an Olympian level of mental gymnastics in order to frame it that way.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
This one is actually good for consumers, while timed exclusivity isn't.

I'm not sure how it would work for Microsoft, but I'd love this as Xbox player.
I'd imagine it would be a short lived GP game, say three months, and then folks who like it and not beat it will buy it. So then MS will get their 30% cut.

Win, win, win

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huge waste of money.

For who? If they want Game Pass subscribers, then getting the title on it during the release window will do just that. People already on Xbox won't spend $60 on every new release when they can just sub to Game Pass...and paying full price is going to feel awfully silly for people yet to get on Xbox. Mine is in my home solely because of Game Pass, and it has saved me from spending full price on other platforms.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
They should just Buy the content make it second party Publish it themselves like Netflix does with movies. Timed exclusive is a waste of money

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Like Netflix I'd expect the cost of that to go up and up if they do that. Depending on the game I'd probably sub for cheap while the game I want to play (single player story focused, one play through type of game) is on there and force myself to finish it and fast. Right now I can't even finish games I want to play so I don't know if that plan would go through.

It would be like asking WB to launch Batman, or Sony Venom 2, and Morbius on Netflix day and date with Theaters (if there was no virus this year. Now that probably wouldn't be a bad idea since people shouldn't go to theaters).

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Getting a lot of major third parties day and date with Game Pass feels like a big ask to me. I know MS has the closest thing to 'unlimited funds' as you can realistically have, but still, I imagine the big dogs like EA, Activision and Ubisoft that this would really matter to would ask some high damn prices for the amount of potential income they'd lose doing that.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
It's not like every game would be put into GP like that. You pick and choose. 20 million (that's what dmc5 got?) To put on GP for 3 to 6 months, and then whatever sales on top. MS has data to show games do get bought on service. It's a win for everybody and games could still be released on PS as well.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
That's great and will definitely add value to GP. I would likely buy Lockhart and subscribe on one-month basis and try to get through 2-3 games during that time.

Surely not reasonable for RPGs, but totally doable for FPS campaigns and non-open world adventure games.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
That would probably be quite expensive, but if they can do that it would be a good solution I think. Although they are already doing moneyhatting, so I don't see why they are going to change their strategy overnight in this "fight".

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused.

If game A is a timed exclusive, how is 3rd party games on GP day 1 a counter?

It can't be the same game with the timed exclusivity deal.

Any games that did this will still be available on PlayStation. That's not a counter IMO.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
For me it is.

It's basically win-win-win-win:
1) Xbox players get it free in GP
2) Playstation players don't NOT get it
3) Publisher gets a big chunk of money for going into GP and gets to still sell on all platforms
4) Microsoft gets value added to further their GP service and gets the goodwill from their customers

What's not to like?
This is a much better option than timed exclusives. Everyone wins

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I'm betting Microsoft wants their studios to have the kind of output where they don't need to spend that kind of money on 3rd party deals.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this doesn't make sense at the beginning of a generation where you have an audience that is eager to build a library of new stuff. Acquisition of content would be very expensive and Mixer has shown that MS has limits for burning cash. I feel like that money would be better spent on getting subsidies for new subscribers and classic exclusive deals.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I understand why people think a game pass deal would cost more for Microsoft than a timed exclusive deal. With a timed exclusive, you are completely removing avenues of revenue for a duration of time. With game pass, not only would you still be able to launch on all platforms at the same time, but you're also still 'purchasable' on game pass platforms and would receive 'free' marketing from Microsoft, who would want to promote their service.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Are MS not doing any timed exclusives for Series X? Those games during their May event aren't permanent exclusives from what I can tell, unless I'm totally confused here.

The question to ask is if MS were in the same position as Sony, do people think they would turn down these timed exclusives offered by the likes of SE and Bethesda? I couldn't see MS saying no but since they are such a non-factor in the gaming space these days, 3rd parties ain't going to go to them compared to the likes of Sony.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't we heard from multiple devs that their games actually sell better once they hit game pass? Granted it's mostly indies I think but still, it might not be that crazy expensive to get some 3rd parties to launch on game pass.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I'm confused.

Any games that did this will still be available on PlayStation. That's not a counter IMO.
What OP is saying is instead of spending money on timed exclusivity use that money to get the title on gamepass at or near launch. It makes gamepass even more valuable then it already is which could draw more people in. Especially if game prices are going to climb.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm confused.

Because getting some big third-party games "for free" could potentially be bigger for selling someone your console, than getting some third-party games a bit earlier than the competition.

Deleted member 62280

Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Why would a game going to GP day one cost more than exclusivity? The GP game will still be multiplat, will still have the ability to be purchased (likely at a higher rate), and developers could remove it from the service after a time period. It's quite literally a win for all parties involved minus maybe Sony

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider came to Game Pass after only 5 months. I could see it happening.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
For who? If they want Game Pass subscribers, then getting the title on it during the release window will do just that. People already on Xbox won't spend $60 on every new release when they can just sub to Game Pass...and paying full price is going to feel awfully silly for people yet to get on Xbox. Mine is in my home solely because of Game Pass, and it has saved me from spending full price on other platforms.
Getting big budget titles on Game Pass (GP) on day one is likely going to be very costly, so it could be a waste of money for Microsoft. I mean, it will surely get more GP subscribers, but would it make up for what they're spending on getting such games on the service on day 1? I guess that it also depends on how much later a game is being released on Xbox though. If its e.g 1 year after the PS4 and/or PC version, then its probably easier to do such a deal (easier as in being cheaper).

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
It would certainly be the best instance of moneyhatting a game. It's not exclusive to any platform and is just significantly cheaper via GP. Encourages more people to invest in the Xbox/PC ecosystem for GP.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like every game would be put into GP like that. You pick and choose. 20 million (that's what dmc5 got?) To put on GP for 3 to 6 months, and then whatever sales on top. MS has data to show games do get bought on service. It's a win for everybody and games could still be released on PS as well.
DMC5 came to Game Pass 5 months after it launched on Xbox, it was also Xbox only. The OP seem to suggest Gamepass on launch. That would be incredibly expensive for one game.

If they do it, that's crazy and awesome, it would make subbing for the month of release a awesome deal depending on if it's a single player story driven game or a GAAS/multiplayer focused game. It would definitely perk up my ear to considering it though. I'd do it for Cyberpunk (PC), $15 or less one month rental then wait for the full DLC pack on sale for like $30 much later? Yep, fingers crossed.