• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So today I started my morning by watching a few videos in the ps4 web browser then I went to watch a show on crunchyroll. Everything played normally for about 5 minutes then I noticed the video had froze but audio continued playing, a few seconds later the system hard crashed and powered off. Luckily the system dud turn back on quickly. Is this the sign of a dying console? I have never had problems with the ps4 before and this has me very worried because it would be really difficult to replace right now and I need this console to help with taking my mind off constant IRL stress.

Optimator

May 5, 2018
Alabama
If it's still working normally and doesn't continue crashing while playing, I'd think your system is fine. It really sounds like an OS level fault occurred to cause the hard crash. If you are able to play for a couple of hours without issue, probably fine.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible, but it's also possible that it's just some random bug that happens under certain conditions that you were unlucky enough to meet. Unless it becomes a pattern I wouldn't worry too much.

OP
OP
VinceK

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It has been about 40 mins so far with no new issues but the worry of something being wrong is still giving me a damned anxiety attack. I have always hated and dreaded the period of time where you just don't know what is happening.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
It has been about 40 mins so far with no new issues but the worry of something being wrong is still giving me a damned anxiety attack. I have always hated and dreaded the period of time where you just don't know what is happening.
When hardware locks up it is almost always software that is the root cause. As Optimator says, if it works for an hour or two you are probably in the clear, but even if it happens again there are a few more things you can do before you can be certain it's a hardware issue.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My philosophy on technology is simply that it does one of two things: it works, or it doesn't. These devices will fail occasionally and a single instance should not be seen as evidence. Remember, computers are dumb and they only do what we tell them and sometimes that thing overlooked some other thing.

Hang back, don't worry too much yet, and if the issue persists, then begin considering that something may actually be going on.

OP
OP
VinceK

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will try to not worry but my mind always has it's own weird way of instantly over thinking and analyzing things to go to the worst outcome all the time. Only hiccup this system has ever given me was loud fans during God of War and Ni No Kuni 2. That and Assassin's Creed Origin has trouble starting up back in December, but I chalked that up to it being a bad disk since it was only that game.

Small update: Let the system run for about an hour so far, also let it download an update in rest mode for 2 hours before hand with no issues I am hopeful that I maybe in the clear will do a long test later today with some FF XIV.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VinceK

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I am wondering is it a semi common thing for the crunchyroll app to cause problems on PS4s? I remember hearing something in the past about it having a crashing issue.

Siegmeyer

Nov 2, 2017
My PS4 (bought on launch day) has been doing this sort of thing regularly for about a year now. I use the browser all the time and get crashes, frozen video while the audio plays, frozen, unresponsive screen. I thought it was dying when it first started happening but it keeps trucking on. Strangely I never get any issues whilst gaming, it's always when using the browser.

OP
OP
VinceK

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't had many issues since the first day this happened managed to play alot of Far Cry 5 and FF XIV sans issues but this morning had a weird issue where the system would not respond to my controller while in the twitch app. Problem lasted for about 30 seconds before just the twitch app crashed stating a software error. Oddly enough this happened after using the internet browser, I hope I have no more problems with this console looking forward to Vampyr tonight so the system dying now would suck.