• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes that's the one with the weird ending with Nintendoland. Urgh, what a misreable E3 it was.

But didn't they decide not to reveal Starfox Granprix last E3 ? Wasn't there some chatter about that.

No one said anything about them revealing Star Fox GP at E3 as far as I remember. The insiders only said it's real and looked like it was a 2019 title.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This thread lol

Denial-"Metroid Prime 4 was going to be shown! Nintendo pulled it out at the last minute"
Anger-"Prime 4 will BOMB because they didnt show it at the VGAs!"

Will we get to see the remaining 3?

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
It literally never made sense for Nintendo to be pushing anything 1st party during the game awards other than Smash. You've got a game coming out literally hours later and you're given a huge platform to advertise it. You're not gonna talk about something coming out months or years later.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it does sound like it to me.

And i think "it was pulled at the last second" is bs tbh, these are not students making a project, these are multibillion dollar companies deciding how to market their products, this things get decided probably months in advance. Then you add that is not their show, and is just higher unlikely, Nintendo is not gonna be like 2 days before the event "upps Geoff we are gonna pull a big reveal, guess you gotta rethink your show", even less unlikely considering Nintendo takes the show seriously and the show gives the love back, Nintendo got the first and last reveal, and they had the orchestra playing the song of their newly marketed game that was coming out that night, Nintendo wouldn't piss a relationship like that i think.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The only leakers I believe are random 4chan users. The rest are a hit or miss if anything.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I think you're overthinking this. Wasn't it actual folks from Retro talking about MP4 publicly on Twitter? Stuff like that isn't a leak, but likely based around plans that had since changed.
I dunno about that. Nintendo is very keen on keeping surprises.
The only leakers I believe are random 4chan users. The rest are a hit or miss if anything.
Same. It's hit-or-miss, so they should be taken with huge grains of salt.

But when it does hit it hits heavy.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Honestly, as far as I know, none of the "insiders" I pay attention to hyped up Metroid Prime at the Game Awards. I don't want a witch hunt, but I am curious who was actually hinting at it and if they're people who were previously considered to have a strong track record.

I know the internet got caught up in the hype/hope and it seemed logical, but I don't recall the usual major sources talking about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
I imagine Reggie arriving at TGA and someone telling him about how everyone is expecting Metroid Prime to show up and being like "LMAO bring me the Ridley t-shirt. I'm gonna have some fun".

But yeah, it's odd. To be fair, before any leaker showed up hinting about Metroid Prime Trilogy or 4 at TGA, most of us(I believe) were expecting Metroid news at the show. It just made sense.

Edit: C'mon, they had to know hahahaha

eEpy1L4.png

And Geoff telling him "Great choice of shirt here, Reggie" hahahaha
what about the pin two years ago? it still hurts me ... =(

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
That's what a leak is though. People hearing things from sources. I guess it's not necessarily a confirmed leak so it's still a rumor, but if it pans out it is indeed a leak.

I've gone over this many times but the whole "floodgates opening" thing that happens with leaks like this is very real and very simple to explain. All of these journalists and outlets have sources who hear specific things and unless a journalist has a lot of corrobotating sources saying the same thing they usually won't publish any new rumor, since they don't want their rumor to be traced back to their single source and/or their single source is not nearly as trustworthy as having a whole bunch of corrobotation.

Unless someone else breaks the rumor first. Then you know there are other corroborating sources out there so you feel a lot better sharing what you heard from your source. That's where the floodgates come from.

I see, for me a leak is when someone actually show us something concrete, like i stole that document from Nintendo, that's a leak, not "my cousin told me this", that's a rumor. You could qualify that stupid logo as "(fake) leak" at best.

As for the rest believe what you want to believe, for me there are so many things these people keep saying that are just false but because "hey at some point we'll get a Pokémon game right? so even if i completely miss my prediction about Pokémon Stars nobody would really blame me" (for example, since based on those rumors Pokémon Stars should have been HD assets from S/M and neither Let's Go or Gen 8 are close to that)

I gave up reading those insiders since the september direct when 3/4 of the announcements were spoiled, that was just sad, so even when those leaks happen to be true that still doesn't feel great. A couple of months after i felt so much better ignoring all the Smash leaks that also happened to be completely false.

OP
OP
Smash Kirby

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I think we need to be careful, even when smash ultimate was shown off people were swearing up and down that it was a port and people were saying the same about Splatoon 2 being only an enhanced port. I think it is damaging to have leaks dominate the conversation of a game. Especially look at Rabbids Kingdom Battle, people's reaction to that killed the moral before it was shown off.

Yeezus

Nov 27, 2017
I do think Nintendo has tightened the ship behind the scenes. Look at the Nintendo leak/rumour space now compared to what it was in 2017 or even early this year.

I want leaks again 😔
Not even just "tightened the ship," their handling of the internet, their online corporate decorum, seems far improved when compared to just a few years ago. They're taking down the emulation, getting their online service up and running (figure of speech) and loosening the restraints that would have previously prohibited users from showing Nintendo footage. Not to mention making the SSBU commercial without sound, allowing people online to fill in that gap, presenting an enthymeme to already excited consumers (if it was in fact intentional that is). Daddy Nintendo been scoring some points lately.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But is that Metroid Prime 4 is not going to be a niche game without marketing. I'm pretty sure that anyone who is willing to watch The Game Awards will end up seeing an ad on TV, a tweet, a news or something from Metroid Prime 4.
a tweet or news are not as good to incite someone to get a game as a trailer is.
Just knowing Prime 4 exists isn't the same as seeing a trailer. That's not how your average consumer who doesn't hang around era or reddit works.