• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo made sure the Switch hit the ground running in its first year by making sure there was one first party nearly release every month. It was a sort of slow, but steady way to manually jump-start the Switch's success, especially since Nintendo made sure some of their biggest tent-poles, such as Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, and Splatoon were out of the way as fast as possible. This year, they seem to be still sticking to that game a month strategy. However, considering the hybrid nature of the Nintendo Switch platform, I feel Nintendo might be playing this a bit too conservatively. Last year, one game a month made more sense, as it was not only a strong year for Nintendo Switch, but it was also a strong year for Nintendo 3DS as well. Hell, 2017 for the 3DS was way better than it had any right to be, Nintendo even released more 3DS games than Switch games last year. But now that 3DS development has significantly wound down for 2018, and the vast majority of Nintendo's developers now moving on to the Switch, simply one game a month isn't going to cut it anymore I don't feel. Nintendo has more than enough resources, staff, and developers under their belt to go beyond that. I feel they should be cramming each month with as many games as they can possibly put out (2-3 games, maybe 4 max). With no handheld/console dichotomy anymore, I feel there's no excuse.

If you're going to bring up HD development. Well if its a large scale AAA project, then yes, it'll take more time and money to make those. But I'm not arguing that Nintendo should be giving us BotW or Mario Odyssey scale releases every Friday, that's silly. What I am arguing though, is that they should be releasing more than just a major release every month. A big profile Switch release, plus one or two smaller releases a month should be a good structure. I feel Nintendo is being too conservative with their release schedule when they don't have to be. After about 2 or 3 more releases, the 3DS is done, so their slow and steady release strategy for the Switch might not be a viable long term plan. Sooner or later, Nintendo is going to have to turn up the volume. Maybe I'm being unrealistic, maybe it'll take another year for this to happen, and to be clear I'm not saying that Nintendo should be putting out a game a week, that's impossible. But I simply believe that Nintendo isn't utilizing the full potential of what they have at the moment. I think we should be getting a big game, plus a one or two 1-2 Switch/Snipperclips type releases to accompany it nearly each month. But what do you think about Nintendo's release strategy?

EddyNCC

Nov 14, 2017
Nintendo doesn't need to be pushing out games at that pace, ever. It's hard to keep up with releases in the eShop every week already.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Microsoft and Sony barely have 1 first party game every 6 months and you want nintendo to have 2 games a month ?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
While in my mind I'd love to get 3-4 Nintendo games a month, I'm not sure my wallet would be as happy. 1 game a month is already overwhelming to me and I had to skip some games to save up for next month's game.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Between indie releases they also have to give 3rdPartys enough space so they can eat as well.
Having non-stop first party releases wouldnt make for a good or attractive software ecosystem

Not mentioning that those first party releases would eat into each other sales as well. Every game released on Switch already compete from the start with Odyseey, BotW, Rabbids, Skyrim, Splatoon, ARMS etc. for new console owners.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
No, but it's be extremely unwise to cram releases in. They'd all take the spotlight from eachother, sales would lower drastically

Cardigan

Oct 28, 2017
So you want as many big profile releases in a year as a typical console gets in a generation.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
2 games a month assuming 2 year dev time would be 48 consecutive teams working on different titles. Napkin funny math but illustrates the craziness of what youre asking for.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What Nintendo needs to do, beyond anything, is make sure when they finally roll out their subscription based service for online that it as competitive as Sony's or Microsoft's. I personally don't mind the eShop in it's current form (and I will always prefer it to be free) but since this paid subscription service was on the table for such a long time, their main effort after getting a good install base is not wasting their time and experience when using it.

As a matter of fact, call it crazy, but given the Mini-Direct and Labo announcements (both of which would take a chunk of time from a Direct), I think that rumoured February Direct might just be about that.

MogKnight

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fine as it is. Really, it might work out if you're exclusive to Switch, but I'm already falling behind with how Nintendo was doing their releases in 2017 so I'm dreading even more if they pump out games at a faster rate. It's especially bad when it's games that rely so much on online interaction (like Splatoon and ARMS) where if you're not there from the start, you tend to fall behind against those that have been playing it since the start. It makes picking and choosing a much harder thing to do.

OP
OP
TheMisterManGuy
Oct 27, 2017
2 games a month assuming 2 year dev time would be 48 consecutive teams working on different titles. Napkin funny math but illustrates the craziness of what youre asking for.
When I say two games a month, I'm not saying two high profile games. But more like one high profile release, and a smaller, lower profile game along with it.

Mizavari

Jan 19, 2018
These are games, not potato chip flavors. Even simple games probably take one or several years to develop.

The fact it achieved one per month Last year at all was thanks to ports and such.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
3DS is not doen, games just slowed down while they are preparing their sucessor.

But don't worry op, nintendo will start to pump out more games for sure... on mobile.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not only it would make the company compete with itself, it would not give enough space for third party games in the system. So no.

Oct 28, 2017
Well yeah. I am aware that can't happen for every month either. But most months should have more than just one game.
Well good luck with that.

This is why third party support is essential for any playform. One publisher cant release games in such quick succession on a continuous basis, let alone quality games. That's why more than one publisher releases games for a platform. Or, it's why they should...

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I think your underplaying how long it takes to develop even a small game. If you want quality output you need time, it's unrealistic to expect 20-24 games in a year. Eventually I think their output will increase or peak, but probably not near that level.

Do I think they delay certain projects to fill up time slots, yes but that's a smart decision. If they wanted to they could've put out DKTF in January or maybe late 2017, but why should they? They need to fill out their schedule and keep giving people options to keep them invested in the device. If they have 2 games scheduled to release around the same time, I absolutely think they will delay 1 to space them out.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah. I am aware that can't happen for every month either. But most months should have more than just one game.

That's insane and cannibalizing.

Basically what jon bones said, it's cannibalising. Most 3rd Party publishers aren't shipping out games at that rate, and they're safer in the knowledge their sales can only hurt competition - case and point, look at the vitriol EA brought from Titanfall 2 fans when they released that so close to not old CoD, but EA's own Battlefield. Titanfall 2 sank compared to them.

Nintendo doesn't have even that luxury, since all it's own published games can only harm the sales of the other, since they exist on a single platform.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're already doing a lot better than during the Wii U + 3DS era where they were constantly spread too thin between the two.

Oct 25, 2017
One a month like they're doing now is probably the best course of action. Too many and they'll start to compete with each other *and* third party releases which is bad.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This isn't a sensible proposition. Releasing that many games would not only put off third parties but also cannibalize their own games.

The aim should be to release a healthy mix of various kinds of software to foster an ecosystem where people buy these games and other publishers have incentive to release them. They need to take a good hard look at the most popular games on Twitch and see where they have glaring holes in the Switch library.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Even If they could release more games, it would be unwise to cram game releases.

People can only buy so much. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure their are certain months were it's unwise to release big certain titles no? Like January? I could be wrong.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
At least a year, sometimes less. Snipperclips for example, was developed within just a year.
So you're only talking about 36 teams at Nintendo then, at least.

12 teams = 1 team for each month, then assuming 2 year dev for the bigger titles = 24 teams. 12 + 24 = 36. Keep in mind it's more likely we're talking 2-3 years, so it's really between 36 and 48 teams.

And how many teams do you think Nintendo has? Are you starting to understand why this is a crazy idea that has no basis in reality?

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
We had one direct that last 15 min long, and the Labo presentation. We're not even finished with January.

Just give it time. I swear, its like some people got themselves SO hyped on the Switch now the sky is immediately falling and theres not enough coming out.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Utterly terrible idea that ignores the economic and labor realities of videogame development. Do more homework OP.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At least a year, sometimes less. Snipperclips for example, was developed within just a year.

In that case, great. The switch has somewhere in the region of 30~40 indies scheduled for January (which is what Snipperclips is), lots of them very good titles. So is this a non-thread, or do they not count just because Nintendo didn't decide to publish them?

Status
Not open for further replies.