• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Purely in terms of shock value does the MW2 "No Russian" level rank as one of the most shocking moments in gaming history? If not do you have another shocking gaming moment?

If you're going to be descriptive add spoiler tags, please!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Honestly as far as shock value goes, Infinity Ward have mastered it, almost like an art.

Modern Warfare 3 features a scene that is arguably a lot more shocking than No Russian and Infinity Ward reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally pushed ESRB and PEGI with that scene. I could give you a little description of the scene itself but I'd much rather you watch it for yourself.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Nah. That time in XCOM 2 when three of my best units got killed by an exploding car is. Harsh lessons were learned that day.

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the Red Wedding scene on YouTube the other day so I could know what people were talking about, and I was underwhelmed?

People make it sound like some massive massacre, but it's just a handful of slightly badly acted main characters, and the other "civilian" (I guess?) deaths are mostly off-screen. All the focus is on the named characters. Obviously it doesn't really impact me, because I haven't watched more than a few episodes. So the shock value there seems directly related to your personal investment of the characters.

Contrast to No Russian, where it's tasteless, edgy shock value that doesn't seem to have anything really building up to it. It's just, "Kill a ton of civilians in a mass shooting simulator". It doesn't rely on your knowledge or investment in anything, it's just offensive for the sake of it.

EDIT:

I found hilarious that your post is "RW is important because of the context. As proof, I watched it without it, and feel underwhelmed" and people comes out angry replying "Duuuh, you watched it without context!! Of course you feel underwhelmed!"

Like they're angrily agreeing with you lmao

Last edited:

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"No Russian" was spoiled all over gaming media weeks before the game released so no, not really.

A more analogous situation would be the surprise nuke in CoD4 where your player character and everyone else gets killed.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, because RW killed off characters the audience cared about.

No Russian was just shock value for the sake of it.

Oct 29, 2017
I remember there was considerable talk about it before the game released, so it didn't come as a surprise. I think the nuke going off in MW1 was more shocking while playing.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
"No Russian" was spoiled all over gaming media weeks before the game released so no, not really.

A more analogous situation would be the surprise nuke in CoD4 where your player character and everyone else gets killed.

I'm going with this. No Russian seemed like the creators were trying to be as edgy as possible. They even put a "warning" before the level that basically said "are you SURE you want to play this HARDCORE level?????"

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the Red Wedding scene on YouTube the other day so I could know what people were talking about, and I was underwhelmed?

People make it sound like some massive massacre, but it's just a handful of slightly badly acted main characters, and the other "civilian" (I guess?) deaths are mostly off-screen. All the focus is on the named characters. Obviously it doesn't really impact me, because I haven't watched more than a few episodes. So the shock value there seems directly related to your personal investment of the characters.

Contrast to No Russian, where it's tasteless, edgy shock value that doesn't seem to have anything really building up to it. It's just, "Kill a ton of civilians in a mass shooting simulator". It doesn't rely on your knowledge or investment in anything, it's just offensive for the sake of it.
lol watches single event with no context, history or weight to back it up, and is "underwhelmed"

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Is this about shitty forced deaths to try and evoke players emotions and shock despite poor writing and acting?
I nominate the deaths of Kaze, Flora and Elise in Fire Emblem: Birthrighr

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

lmao, "badly acted"

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol watches single event with no context, history or weight to back it up, and is "underwhelmed"

You're taking the wrong point from my post. I'm not really criticizing the scene all that much, my point is that the Red Wedding is directly tied to character investment for it's shock, whereas No Russian isn't, like, at all.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
It wasn't a shock because the scene was talked about extensively at release. Most people who bought the game already knew about it and could even skip it if they didn't like the idea.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Russian wasn't shocking.

One of the most shocking to the world was the release of the original GTA

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017

100%

No Russian is a notch below killing the dog in a movie

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No Russian was juvenile shite. Not what I'd consider shocking.

Moments in gaming history with the most shock value...

Shodan reveal in System Shock 2
Would you kindly in Bioshock
Early body transformation in Quake 4

Surely I'm forgetting important ones.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Absolutely not. The Red Wedding has a ton of of buildup before it actually happens, the characters involved have complex and developed relationships, and the increasing sense of wrongness in the scene has a powerful payoff once the reader gets what's going on.

No Russian puts you in the shoes of a barely nameless infiltrated soldier and lets you shoot civilians. It has some elements in common with the Red Wedding, but they're all so diluted and minimal in importance you can barely say they're there.

Oct 29, 2017
Call of Duty has somewhat of a tradition of killing the player character, I would say those are the closer comparison within the franchise.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Honestly as far as shock value goes, Infinity Ward have mastered it, almost like an art.

Modern Warfare 3 features a scene that is arguably a lot more shocking than No Russian and Infinity Ward reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally pushed ESRB and PEGI with that scene. I could give you a little description of the scene itself but I'd much rather you watch it for yourself.

The Achievement notification right afterwards kinda ruins the seriousness of it.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017

What are you saying? LOL.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Eh, that wouldn't have really been that shocking (to me) even if you had not mentioned that it was. The way the truck parked, the fact that it was a MW game and the fact that it was being recorded meant something was about to go down.

For me, it was the Aerith scene. After that, not much of anything shocked me anymore.

Would you kindly in Bioshock

That was a pretty good reveal as well.

edit: Duh. The last "shocking" scene that actually got to me was when
Shepard died at the beginning of ME2. Even though he was known to still be the main protagonist in the game, that didn't matter.
The music really helped too.

Last edited:

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's hard to give a shit if you have no idea who's who and what came before.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, the OP post sort of encapsulates why people (including David Benioff and D. B. Weiss) seem to misunderstand the Red Wedding scene and its legacy. The scene isn't about "shock value." It's not like George R. R. Martin decided to throw darts at a dartboard and went "Welp, I guess Robb Stark is gonna die in this chapter." It's not some random heinous event he threw into the book to shock people. It's the logical culmination of a series of severe tactical mistakes that Robb makes throughout the books. In a traditional fantasy story, Robb would suffer no consequences for these mistakes because he's "the good guy" and a noble man, but ASOIAF is a realistic world where people who make mistakes pay the price for them.

The correct reaction to the Red Wedding isn't supposed to be "Holy shit, I didn't see that coming," it's "Holy shit, why didn't I see that coming?" That's what makes it a good twist and that's what its many imitators fail to understand.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
CoD 4's nuke was CoD's biggest WTF moment imo.

Most shocking game death for me was in The Last of Us, when
Henry shoots himself in the head
, was actually shook.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
MK 9 . Easily.
wnwQ19.gif

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

See my previous post.

When the one guy walks up and says "so and so sends his regards", is pretty bad tho

No, it's not.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you saying? LOL.

It's the easiest thing in the world to understand.

Red Wedding is shocking because of your investment in characters. Without it, it has no impact.

No Russian is shocking because it's outright offensive, and doesn't even try to use investment in characters to surprise the player. You could never play the game, watch the scene, and get the same out of it as the people that did play the game.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK

This one really got to me when I played it.

I'm pretty optimistic about this years game.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

i don't even remember that scene and i played the game. a bit heavy handed with the kid and a bit too comedic with the terrorist apparently being able to outrun the explosion / gas cloud on foot.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking not even close.

The red wedding had three seasons of character building leading up to that moment. That shit was earned, no Russian not so much.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A scene in Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War is probably closer. Spoilered since it's next in line for a remake, so fingers crossed.

Your party is invited to a celebration and every single one of your party members are slaughtered or left with an ambiguous fate.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The correct reaction to the Red Wedding isn't supposed to be "Holy shit, I didn't see that coming," it's "Holy shit, why didn't I see that coming?" That's what makes it a good twist and that's what its many imitators fail to understand.

That's a clever and catchy way to describe it. Thanks.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Absolutely not. You can't even compare the two in terms of the emotion provoked. It's literally a shallow shooting gallery.

The beginning of MGSV is a far more emotional example of a mass shooting.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Also, the OP post sort of encapsulates why people (including David Benioff and D. B. Weiss) seem to misunderstand the Red Wedding scene and its legacy. The scene isn't about "shock value." It's not like George R. R. Martin decided to throw darts at a dartboard and went "Welp, I guess Robb Stark is gonna die in this chapter." It's not some random heinous event he threw into the book to shock people. It's the logical culmination of a series of severe tactical mistakes that Robb makes throughout the books. In a traditional fantasy story, Robb would suffer no consequences for these mistakes because he's "the good guy" and a noble man, but ASOIAF is a realistic world where people who make mistakes pay the price for them.

Yeah the Red Wedding seemed out of nowhere when I first experienced it. Then I went back and saw the clues and realized that there was always a huge build-up leading to it and I was just as blind as the Starks to not see it.