• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it worth it to own both PSVR and Oculus Quest 2?

• Stick with PSVR

Votes: 44 21.0%
  • Go for Both!!

Votes: 166 79.0%

• Total voters

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Trading in 2 old xbox ones and my ps4 pro to gamestop today and considering getting an oculus quest 2 with my credit but not sure if its worth buying if I already own a PSVR?

I really like my psvr but some things like VR chat, Beat Saber having a bigger possible music catalogue, and the ease of use with quest makes me wonder if theres enough exclusive content to justify a second VR HMD. I also dont care about the fb stuff.

If its not worth it I was probably going to buy an ssd expansion for my series S and a new headset.

Edit: I don't own a pc so I would be using the quest entirely on its own with no pc connectivity

Last edited:

TrubbleFrog

Feb 23, 2018
Nope. I don't own a PSVR, but as a Quest 2 owner it's not worth it unless you're upgrading to something with more fidelity, like the high-end Vive stuff. Go with that beautiful SSD expansion.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Quest 2 (if combined with a PC) has one of the best VR libraries there is, with some solid games exclusively only available on the Oculus store. The headset itself has some fantastic specs that well outmatch PSVR. If the Facebook thing isn't an issue for you, it's one of the best deals in games out there.

For you, OP, I say go for it. I don't like the Facebook shit, so I'm not touching, but I'm not gonna lie, I was very tempted to break my Facebook boycott for it.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Since you can stomach Facebook, Quest 2 is above and beyond a superior option. You'll probably never use PSVR again outside of rare exclusives, that's how good it is.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Are going to connect it to a PC? or do you just want to play the native Quest 2 games?

If you connect it to a PC that can run VR, it's definitely worth it, since you get full access to all PC VR games, both on Oculus and Steam. You also get wireless with the Oculus Link.

For example, VRChat looks way better connected to a PC running it, than the standalone Quest 2 version.

OP
OP
pikachief

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Are going to connect it to a PC? or do you just want to play the native Quest 2 games?

If you connect it to a PC that can run VR, it's definitely worth it, since you get full access to all PC VR games, both on Oculus and Steam. You also get wireless with the Oculus Link.

For example, VRChat looks way better connected to a PC running it, than the standalone Quest 2 version.

I don't even own a PC! Forgot that may be an important detail haha It would be used exclusively native on the quest

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
It's fantastic as a fitness device imo. It being standalone makes it much better suited for working out than any other headset. That alone makes it worth it to me.

Custom beat sabre music support is also an incredibly big advantage over the psvr.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
There's a ton of overlap in games, with PSVR having overall higher quality exclusives. Don't think you'd be missing much unless being tethered bothers you. I find the Quest 2 great for fitness games though.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I love PSVR but Quest 2 is a big step up in VR. Much higher resolution and much better VR controllers.

I would say Quest 2 is the best VR headset on the market at the moment, thanks to it's price, being wireless and can be connected to a PC for PCVR gaming too.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
It was for us, having room scale, being able to turn around without any wires, not having to plug in headphones everytime, having an environment that's stable and doesn't have to be constantly recalibrated was a huge step up.

Miss the oled and being able to choose (though in a dumb way) specific IPD measurements however.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I was day 1 on PSVR and still have the camera sat on top of my TV. I haven't touched PSVR since I got a Quest 2 almost a year ago and I doubt I ever will again (except maybe to reminisce about London Heist).

The upgrade is substantial to the point where I'm not sure I ever want to go back to wired VR ever again.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
If you really like Beat Saber, then it's a great purchase just for that. The custom song support makes it a much better game.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
You're not going to get much better than a Quest 2 unless you're looking for something specific in a VR set. If it wasn't for Facebook, I'd recommend it to everyone.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
That damn thing ain't worth a dime unless you really wanna play beat saber wirelessly. There's some neat apps but it all wears off almost instantly. The thing needs better games.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Quest 2 standalone is incredible. If you like VR, you gotta get one. Only problem is the game library feels a bit stagnant.

Quest 2 connected to PC is not as user-friendly as PSVR. There are annoying hiccups getting the whole thing setup, and getting into SteamVR. On the plus side, it's wireless, room scale, and you can play Alyx on it. Future shit for a very reasonable price.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As someone who owns both, I don't really see there being much worth unless you REALLY want to go into a new ecosystem, use the headset for PC titles, or absolutely need RE4 VR. Since the PC aspect isn't there for you something like beat saber would effectively be the same besides there not being a cord on the floor for the headset (Since only PC is where you can import your own songs).

You can play most of the quest content on PSVR and personally, I find it more comfortable headset-wise to do so (Of course you are dealing with more cords and accessories on PSVR). Also, the screen share of PSVR is pretty nice when it comes to showing off VR to a group of people.

------

Overall my feelings on the Quest 2 are it's a great device if you're new to VR and don't have PSVR/PC Headset.
If you aren't new to VR there's not much there if you've played a good chunk of PSVR content.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Since the PC aspect isn't there for you something like beat saber would effectively be the same besides there not being a cord on the floor for the headset (Since only PC is where you can import your own songs).

It is possible to have custom songs on the quest standalone version. It is slightly harder to do compared to the pc version but not that complicated.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Considering your lack of a PC, I'd hold off for now unless you really want to have the (limited) VRchat experience and some other fitness apps.

It is possible to have custom songs on the quest standalone version. It is slightly harder to do compared to the pc version but not that complicated.
Except you still need a PC to enable the sideloading of apps and older versions of games by setting up dev mode and the like.

However, you also have free WebXR stuff like MoonRider which uses thousands of custom Bsaber songs and offers two more play styles.

No PC required
moonrider.xyz

Moon Rider

A free and open source VR music visualization website. Surf the musical road among the stars, moon, and lights.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Considering your lack of a PC, I'd hold off for now unless you really want to have the (limited) VRchat experience and some other fitness apps.

Except you still need a PC to enable the sideloading of apps and older versions of games by setting up dev mode and the like.

However, you also have free WebXR stuff like MoonRider which uses thousands of custom Bsaber songs and offers two more play styles.

No PC required
moonrider.xyz

Moon Rider

A free and open source VR music visualization website. Surf the musical road among the stars, moon, and lights.

True, the question would then be if the OP owns a laptop for example, even the weakest laptop would be fine for the setup, and after that songs can be loaded in through the headset itself.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
This is a timely thread. I've recently come into a bit of money, and am trying to decide between a Quest 2 and upgrading my storage for XSX/PS5. Only difference is I don't have PSVR, the last vr experience I had was an old Gear VR (which I liked, but the novelty quickly wore off).

What can the oculus 2 stil do without facebook?
afaik, nothing at all. You have to have Facebook to even set it up. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't own a PC I'd say wait for PSVR2 and (probably) Quest 3. There is also a rumour about Steam putting out their own standalone headset. While the Quest 2 is superior to PSVR in almost every way and standalone VR truly is a game-changer, there just aren't enough exclusives IMHO. So you will be fine with PSVR for now.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
Trading in 2 old xbox ones and my ps4 pro to gamestop today and considering getting an oculus quest 2 with my credit but not sure if its worth buying if I already own a PSVR?

I really like my psvr but some things like VR chat, Beat Saber having a bigger possible music catalogue, and the ease of use with quest makes me wonder if theres enough exclusive content to justify a second VR HMD. I also dont care about the fb stuff.

If its not worth it I was probably going to buy an ssd expansion for my series S and a new headset.

Edit: I don't own a pc so I would be using the quest entirely on its own with no pc connectivity

Oculus 2 is better, but it does have one major drawback and that is you need a FB account to use it.

Oct 28, 2017
As a PSVR lover that went to Quest 2, I found Quest 2 to be a massive downgrade and I've barely used it since I got it. The difference in comfort is astronomical. For all the better tracking, tech and whatnot, it means jack shit when the thing is so damn painful to actually wear. I can't last half an hour on the Quest 2 before I'm forced to take it off. PSVR I can use for hours at a time.

See here's the difference between PSVR and Quest. With PSVR I'd take any excuse I could to play on it. With Quest it's any excuse not to have to use it. I just can't deal with that pain.

My advice is to find someone with a Quest 2 and try it before you buy. Because it aint the same thing as PSVR. Comfort is not guaranteed.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
My answer depends how much you will balk at forking out for a brand new PSVR2 in one year's time. If that's a no brainer no matter what, then a Quest 2 is a nice short term upgrade to get you through the year before PSVR2 arrives. Alternatively, if you'll be a bit peeved to be out a few hundred bucks plus having a bit of software stuck in the Facebook platform, better off waiting for PSVR2 - which from what we know so far will be at least as large a leap again.

OP
OP
pikachief

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up getting a lot more than I expected ($760) for my trade-in so I got all 3 things lol all the beat saber recommends pushed me over the edge, my wife loves beat saber but hates fiddling with the camera and wires and moving furniture to play. Had to order them for next week since they were not in stock.

Thanks everyone! 😁

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up getting a lot more than I expected ($760) for my trade-in so I got all 3 things lol all the beat saber recommends pushed me over the edge, my wife loves beat saber but hates fiddling with the camera and wires and moving furniture to play. Had to order them for next week since they were not in stock.

Thanks everyone! 😁

I've never used PSVR, but I was going to recommend a Quest 2 for Beat Saber with custom songs alone lol. That game is seriously 98% of my VR time, and I practically never touch the official songs.

Superhot VR is also great (I'm just not able to play it often), and I couldn't imagine playing it with a wired headset.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say its worth it even standalone. The screen quality is a massive leap in resolution and clarity than PSVR, plus, that first time you experience wireless VR especially standing is a helluva thing. You won't want to go back. Aside from VR Chat there's some really great social games like ForeVR Bowl, Walkabout Mini Golf, RealVR Fishing, the list goes on.

Plus if you ever get a PC down the road there's even more of a value add being able to wirelessly stream PCVR games to the Quest.

I will say you may want to hold off ordering one until this year's Oculus Connect on October 28, there's a possibility they may announce a new revision for Quest 2.

edit: I see you already ordered it oh well lol, have fun!

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Everything about tracking and ease of use is on another level with the Quest. The Guardian system and drawing your own boundaries using pass-through is an absolute miracle of engineering.

In terms of comfort for long term play they are in opposite ends of the spectrum with PSVR still being the industry best (not bad five years on) and Quest the industry worst.

The PSVR has a clearly better lineup having overlapped with PCVR for many years + having many AAA exclusives like RE7, WipEout, Astro Bot etc. The Quest has a decent library unless longer story games is your main thing. Of course the Quest can double up as a PCVR headset if you have a decent PC.

At this point I could only recommend anyone to pick up a PSVR for cheap for what has already released over the years (and with PSVR2 changing the ballgame next year). The tech is outdated and the platform has essentially ended with everything being saved/developed for PSVR2/PCVR/Quest2 these days.

I recommend waiting until Facebook Connect on October 28th in any case unless $299 is your budget (in which case the recently updated Quest 2 w/128GB storage should be a safe bet). PSVR2 is set to be unveiled in spring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pikachief

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've never used PSVR, but I was going to recommend a Quest 2 for Beat Saber with custom songs alone lol. That game is seriously 98% of my VR time, and I practically never touch the official songs.

Superhot VR is also great (I'm just not able to play it often), and I couldn't imagine playing it with a wired headset.

I'll probably end up replaying super hot vr on quest. The psvr version is still probably my favorite vr game but those controllers and camera were giving me issues that I couldnt help but think a better controller and camera solution wouldve fixed.

I'd say its worth it even standalone. The screen quality is a massive leap in resolution and clarity than PSVR, plus, that first time you experience wireless VR especially standing is a helluva thing. You won't want to go back. Aside from VR Chat there's some really great social games like ForeVR Bowl, Walkabout Mini Golf, RealVR Fishing, the list goes on.

Plus if you ever get a PC down the road there's even more of a value add being able to wirelessly stream PCVR games to the Quest.

I will say you may want to hold off ordering one until this year's Oculus Connect on October 28, there's a possibility they may announce a new revision for Quest 2.

edit: I see you already ordered it oh well lol, have fun!

I feel like the young age of VR lends to new models and revisions happening fairly often so I wont be too bummed out if a new one comes soon, I kinda expect them to come rather frequently compared to say, consoles.

fetus8

May 21, 2018
Colorado
I don't own a PSVR, but have an HTC Vive Pro and a Quest 2.
I don't see the benefit of the Quest 2 if you don't have a PC tbh. The headset is great on its own, but the library of available games is extremely limited. I play my quest almost exclusively tethered to the PC.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
If you have a PSVR, quest 2 is only worth it if you have a PC in my opinion. I have both but I only use the quest 2 for PC VR,

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Quest 2 hardware is vastly superior to PSvr. PS vr is a childs toy in comparison.

I think it's worth it even if you don't have a pc but with a pc it's easily the best bang for your buck VR headset and even beats some of the higher end competitors in certain areas.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
If you have a PSVR, quest 2 is only worth it if you have a PC in my opinion. I have both but I only use the quest 2 for PC VR,

That's fair and I thought i'd be the same way but honestly I play standalone like, 90 percent of the time. I feel like I've sort of played everything in the pc space that I want to play and the games that I can come back to time and time again are all on quest and all look and run just fine on the quest.

I did however pick up zone of the enders 2 on a sale and I'm very much enjoying that in VR.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point, without a PC, I'd probably wait for the Quest 2 Pro or Quest 3. There's a lot of overlap in Quest 2 and PSVR titles.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Glad to hear you got a good deal OP.

If this had been me I'd have traded PSVR in too. Only because we know the new gen is coming and ongoing software support is probably gonna get worse from here on out, whereas tweaks and new games are still coming to Oculus - albeit not as fast as I would like. I very rarely play my Quest 2 but when I do it's great - and RE4 is out this month. Get Echo Arena, it's nuts!

You can jailbreak it and use Sidequest to add non store software and you can even now use Oculess to remove Facebook if you want but you lose the store if you do and I don't think it's worth risking a ban tbh. Be careful messing with any of that and make sure you know what you're doing before you do anything and go back online.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I got a quest 2 and sold my PSVR. Now if I could only get a wipeout game on quest lmao.

That said, the quest crushes the PSVR imo.

Oct 30, 2017
quest 2 is vastly better hardware. going to that from anything on PSVR that requires move controllers is like going from a d-pad to an analog stick, plus the lack of setup required just makes it a much more enjoyable system to use.

i'll be in for PSVR 2 because i can deal with one cable in exchange for way more power, but right now quest 2 is easily the best VR system, especially since it also works well with PCs.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
As a PSVR lover that went to Quest 2, I found Quest 2 to be a massive downgrade and I've barely used it since I got it. The difference in comfort is astronomical. For all the better tracking, tech and whatnot, it means jack shit when the thing is so damn painful to actually wear. I can't last half an hour on the Quest 2 before I'm forced to take it off. PSVR I can use for hours at a time.

See here's the difference between PSVR and Quest. With PSVR I'd take any excuse I could to play on it. With Quest it's any excuse not to have to use it. I just can't deal with that pain.

My advice is to find someone with a Quest 2 and try it before you buy. Because it aint the same thing as PSVR. Comfort is not guaranteed.

Try different headbands or counter weights.

Quest 2 change the VR game. Next PSVR will need to be at least usable wirelessly.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021
If you're really interested in the social and event apps, Quest 2 does have a lot more options there. PSVR only has Rec Room but that is still a decent option.

For gaming, the PSVR is still superior despite being based on aging hardware. There are so many great games on the PSVR that you won't be able to play on the Quest 2 standalone. Hitman 3, RE7, No Man's Sky, Skyrim VR, Minecraft, and Star Wars Squadrons to name a few.

I bought a Quest 2 recently and I do enjoy it but I find myself using my PSVR more because I have a better library of games there.

Keep in mind the next gen PSVR is expected to be released by the end of next year, and a new Quest model is expected to be announced at Facebook's upcoming event on Oct 28th that could include eye and face tracking and color pass through video. So I'd hold onto your store credit until we get more info on those two things. There are a lot of great games to play on your PSVR in the meantime.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Cool get pikachief I do recommend taking a look at the options out there for better (actual) headbands including halo straps similar to the PSVR. There is also stuff like the PowerVR which can extend playtime and double as a counterweight to balance the VR HDM out.

I also picked up a replacement interface for better comfort against my face and airflow for actice VR sessions. You can also use a laptop or whatever to help you activate devmode and all that jazz for custom songs in the standalone BeatSaber VR app.

Here is mine:

vWRI142h.jpg