• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
I've never played a fallout game, but for people who have played all of them... Should I just go straight to outer worlds as I won't have time to play more than 1

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO it depends on how much time you have. If you're up for a long game to get lost in, I'd say give New Vegas a try. If you're wanting something that is less of a time commitment, Outer Worlds would be great.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not only is it not better, it's not even similar to a Fallout game. It's structured far more closely to a Mass Effect game than a Fallout game.

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've never played a fallout game, but for people who have played all of them... Should I just go straight to outer worlds as I won't have time to play more than 1
Just play and stop reading. The experience is different for any person but Fallout 3 and New Vegas is a must. TOW is a great game.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
No but that is mostly due to scale. It is a more refined experience.

Edit: The Mass Effect comparison is fairly accurate.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Absolutely not. The Outer Worlds positions itself so much as a fallout experience that it comparatively pales to something like New Vegas.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
depends on what you're looking for. I think it's better than 3 for sure, but you might disagree if "big open world" is something you're looking for.

1>New Vegas>2>Outer Worlds>4>3 is probably how I'd rank it, with a fairly hefty gap between OW and 4.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's not better than 3 or New Vegas. It doesn't really play a whole lot like those though, despite appearances. I'd say it plays more like a Mass Effect game. It's not better than most of those either imo.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's better than any of the ones developed by Bethesda

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In some things it's better in others it's not. I am having fun with it and will finish it but never bothered with 4.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Well, you don't need to have played a Fallout to appreciate The Outer Worlds so just playing that is fine.

Personally, I think so. I'm enjoying the smaller scale of it rather than wondering around a large, often barren world. The combat is better. TTD > VATS. Fallout New Vegas is a close second but that's also Obsidian, there's a pattern here.

Fallout 1 & 2 are good but archaic, obviously. They also feel very different due to being isometric and not 3D.

Fallout 3 is great, but nowhere near as fun as FNV.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
After just finishing the Outer Worlds, I can safely say NOPE. The game is more combat based but it's combat is pretty bad, ranging from snore job easy to almost playing itself near the end, I played it on Hard. Your choices never really amount to much either, you usually fly away from whatever you've decided and never really encounter the consequences ever again.

The TTD system was ok, it's a little bit better than VATS, I'm not fully converted though.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Doesnt have the depth and breadth of the best ones. Namely the non Bethesda ones.

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Outer Worlds seems to have narrative locked down, but wanderlust exportation & discovery is absolute s**t.

Each franchise excels in different areas and that's just fine.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Not even close aside from 4. The narrative at the beginning that was an amazing Fallout game and Obsidian's best effort yet was laughable to be honest.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
It's been more enjoyable but not as big, but more refined, it's a fantastic game

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't get more than a few hours into 3, New Vegas, and 4, but I'm on my second play through for Outer Worlds.

I have criticisms for sure, but the aesthetic and setting is far more interesting to me and the characters are mostly well written despite some bad introductions.

I love Elder Scrolls but really can't get into Fallout. Outer Worlds has been a blast. Probably helps that I'm a big fan of Mass Effect and KOTOR.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not as good as 3 and nowhere near as good as New Vegas but it's at least mostly bug free.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Its better than Fallout 4 and 76

Fallout 1 and 2 are different and great, 3 and New Vegas are better but mostly because they are the same game as Outer Worlds with a way larger budget and universe of lore to pull from, The Outer Worlds is awesome and will only get better now with Microsoft money and time to build the lore.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't rank The Outer Worlds above Fallout: New Vegas. The more I played TOW the more its spell was broken.

Didn't play FO3 or enough of 4 to really compare them, though.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Without question. The fact that its largely free of game breaking bugs and jank alone makes it better

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I like the writing of Outer Worlds and New Vegas over 3 and 4, but Fallout is more fleshed out with more things to do and a larger world.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hahahaha.

No.

It's not even better than NV.

FO1+2 are out of its league completely.

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
TOW sadly feels kind of bland to me, and I really wanted to like it. I prefer 1, 2 and New Vegas over it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Still substantially weaker than Fallout New Vegas, unfortunately. Wouldn't say it's better than the original two either. It's a RPG that will feel good playing again after missing the likes of Fallout, but the more you play, the more flaws become apparent. The game just becomes too easy to the point it requires very little thought for me to get through it. As a result, I no longer feel engaged while I play. I've actually kind of dropped off of it at this point and don't know when I'll come back to play.

It's a good start for Obsidian getting back into the groove of making RPGs of such a scale though. I look forward to their next RPGs that can improve on what TOW has established.

Last edited: