• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
It's better than most Fallout games.

You gotta remember that it's a AA game with a small budget, so a lot of the fun you'll have with it is with your character build and dialog/story choices rather than some big/epic set piece moments.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Honestly, you are going to get better takes and opinions on this after dust settles. Usually, these things get put into perspective with passage of time and such.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Not only is it not better, it's not even similar to a Fallout game. It's structured far more closely to a Mass Effect game than a Fallout game.

Yup. It really fits a comparison to Mass Effect when you think about all of the mechanics and the not so open worlds. It doesn't really compare to a game like Fallout or Wasteland. Doesn't even really feel like the same game. It's too bad it was kind of sold on the idea that it was one though.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's not better than 3 or NV, infact in some areas it's worse than 4 as well. The Fallout games are basically immersive sims, Outer World looks like an immersive sim but it's not. There are only a set number of ways you can solve a given problem, you might be given more than one problem to solve but within each of those problems there isn't much choice. An immersive sim on the other hand just lets you play with the tools you have in the game to solve a problem like you would in real life. An example to explain myself better is, say if there's an area you have to get to. The Outer Worlds will give you an option to either go guns blazing or go in stealth, but that's about it. If you want to choose to go stealth there's only one way to do it and if you can't do it then you are forced to completely abandon that choice and go guns blazing. A game like NV on the other hand would give you more than one ways to implement the same choice.

There isn't also much branching in the game, you have some branching here and there but they are largely inconsequential and nothing like blowing up a major city in Fallout 3 which leads to a separate questline and altered NPCs on as a result of your actions (Like an NPC ends up becoming a ghoul if you destroy the city and you meet him later on). NV has even more choice and consequences and does it even better. The world is also not as explorable as everything is condensed into tiny areas, with little to no downtime. You rarely find NPCs outside of towns/settlements. It's a very streamlined and limited experience. It's a decent game but it's not really the Bethesda killer that everyone touted it to be. And it's certainly nowhere close to New Vegas which was the absolute best 3D Fallout game.

And oh, the game is also very short. If you do everything in the game that's abut 14-15 hours. Much shorter in comparison to the BGS games/NV. There's very little reason to do a second playthrough as you can pretty see almost everything there is to see in that first run itself outside of the last mission everything plays out exactly the same regardless of what you do before.

Last edited:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I couldn't get more than a few hours into 3, New Vegas, and 4, but I'm on my second play through for Outer Worlds.

I have criticisms for sure, but the aesthetic and setting is far more interesting to me and the characters are mostly well written despite some bad introductions.

I love Elder Scrolls but really can't get into Fallout. Outer Worlds has been a blast. Probably helps that I'm a big fan of Mass Effect and KOTOR.

I did not like fallout 3 from the little I played before dropping it. Loved skyrim. Gave fallout 4 a chance and dropped that aswell.

Look forward to picking up TOW soon. I like the setting quite a bit

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
It's not better but it's probably the best 3D Fallout game you can play right now.

Foxashel

Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Better than 4. That is it. New Vegas and 3 are better. 76 doesn't count—may it's creators rot in hell.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
If you're following the creative names involved, then you should look at Fallout 1, Arcanum, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

If you just want to play games in this vein, it's between New Vegas for the huge scale or The Outer Worlds for more polish and a bit more reactivity on a personal level.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, game was a waste of time. I never finished Fallout 4 cause I wasn't too hot on it but I enjoyed it more than TOW overall. 3 and NV are obviously better.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
It's not better than 3 or NV, infact in some areas it's worse than 4 as well. The Fallout games are basically immersive sims, Outer World looks like an immersive sim but it's not. There are only a set number of ways you can solve a given problem, you might be given more than one problem to solve but within each of those problems there isn't much choice. An immersive sim on the other hand just lets you play with the tools you have in the game to solve a problem like you would in real life. An example to explain myself better is, say if there's an area you have to get to. The Outer Worlds will give you an option to either go guns blazing or go in stealth, but that's about it. If you want to choose to go stealth there's only one way to do it and if you can't do it then you are forced to completely abandon that choice and go guns blazing. A game like NV on the other hand would give you more than one ways to implement the same choice.

There isn't also much branching in the game, you have some branching here and there but they are largely inconsequential and nothing like blowing up a major city in Fallout 3 which leads to a separate questline and altered NPCs on as a result of your actions (Like an NPC ends up becoming a ghoul if you destroy the city and you meet him later on). NV has even more choice and consequences and does it even better. The world is also not as explorable as everything is condensed into tiny areas, with little to no downtime. You rarely find NPCs outside of towns/settlements. It's a very streamlined and limited experience. It's a decent game but it's not really the Bethesda killer that everyone touted it to be. And it's certainly nowhere close to New Vegas which was the absolute best 3D Fallout game.

And oh, the game is also very short. If you do everything in the game that's abut 14-15 hours. Much shorter in comparison to the BGS games/NV. There's very little reason to do a second playthrough as you can pretty see almost everything there is to see in that first run itself outside of the last mission everything plays out exactly the same regardless of what you do before.
Fallout 1 has a similar time to beat as Outer Worlds and its better than 3 or 4. Fifteen hours to do a full play through also sounds like bullshit to me.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. The missions, writing, and characters are much better in The Outerworlds. The world/setting is much more interesting too. But Fallout 4's gameplay and mechanics are more fun. For all its faults, I think Fallout 4's gameplay is the best of the series.
If by gameplay you mean combat, sure. If by gameplay you mean ability to role play, ha!

iverron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, it's completely without merit aside from the fact that Obsidian managed to create a decent skeleton of an RPG without bugs to build an actually engaging game on someday maybe.

Nothing matters, the loot is horrible and the quest design is neck and neck with the worst of Skyrim and Fallout 4. Severe step back from Pillars, Tyranny, you name it.

Emperor's New Clothes of Video Games 2019.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Gamepass would allow you to play the first few hours of TOW and NV and make a decision from there. If I were in your shoes and had Gamepass, that would be my play.

I really like the world of The Outer Worlds more than the Fallout franchise, but was definitely left craving a game with a larger budget/scope to bring to life a more realized version of that universe. New Vegas definitely does the branching questlines with many tough choices thing the best. 4 and TOW have the best moment to moment action oriented gameplay. All the Fallout games have a more interesting perk/upgrade system. 3 and NV are buggy as fuck.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 1 has a similar time to beat as Outer Worlds and its better than 3 or 4. Fifteen hours to do a full play through also sounds like bullshit to me.
Fallout 1 is also a game from 90s.
I can show you my save screenshot and quest list but I cba atm so keep thinking it's bullshit if you want. I don't really care lol

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Depends on what you want. If you want a massive open world with hundreds of hours of content go Fallout New Vegas. If you want a shorter, tighter, better looking experience go with Outer Worlds. F3 and especially F4 aren't worth messing with unless you end up loving New Vegas so much that all you want is more Fallout.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's better than Fallout 3 and 4.

To this day, I will never understand the enthusiasm around Fallout 3. Truly one of the most poorly written of the big budget RPGs

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The Outer Worlds is a competently made but ultimately simple/bland experience. Basically exactly the opposite of what you'd normally expect from an Obsidian game.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to assume we are talking solely about the 3d Fallouts. If that is not the case then go play the first one.

As for the 3d games, I would say go play New Vegas. Mod it so at the very least it will save in intervals and maybe get some of the unofficial patches. If you have no tolerance for bugs and don't want to deal with mods, then just grab the Outer Worlds and forget about the rest.

This is all based on the PC versions. Fallout New Vegas is the best, but it has some nasty and noticeable bugs. Fallout 3 is worse than NV and has its share of bugs. Fallout 4 was much less buggy for me than those two, but I found it to be much worse than NV and a little worse than 3 as well. Many of the bugs in all the games can be blunted somewhat with mods. Fallout 4 modded though might rank above 3. It depends on how I feel that day. Both of them, 3 and 4, are huge step downs in terms of quest design and narrative compared to NV and OW.

To put it simply if you are willing to tinker go with NV. If you just want to buy a game and have it work to go with OW. If you want to play the best and don't give two shits about 3d and the first-person perspective go play the very first one.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Just not having a Fallout-like game without all the fucking bugs puts it up there in my book, OP. The only thing that it falls short of being better than NV is the size of the worlds. Hopefully with their bigger budget for their next game, they can make the size even bigger/better.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
You're gonna get a lot of variation.

It's better than 3, 4 has shitty writing but is much funner to play than The Outer Worlds. Plus Far Harbor DLC for Fallout 4 is seriously good.

The Outer Worlds excels in character interaction and overall dialog, but the gameplay tries to fit somewhere between an immersive sim like Deus Ex and a traditional Bethesda RPG, it never quite excels at both imo.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
It's enjoyable enough but FO1, 2, and New Vegas are some of the best RPGs ever made.

It's better than Fallout 3 and 4.

To this day, I will never understand the enthusiasm around Fallout 3. Truly one of the most poorly written of the big budget RPGs

I'd assume people like the exploration and gameplay loops more than the writing or storytelling

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
From what I've played of TOW so far, NV>TOW>>F1>>>F3>>F4. One of these days I will get to Fallout 2 but I was really dissapointed with Fallout 1, trying it some time in the last few years, I expected it to be stronger in everything. TOW doesn't have the best choices and quest design but has a great world, characters, and dialog so far. It's fun too. Fallout 3, like Oblivion is almost laughable to look back at now, and its story was dreadful. It doesn't do anything better that isn't arguably a genre difference in my opinion. I for one am glad TOW isn't open world and reminds me more of a slightly more open Kotor. 4 I couldn't even play much I disliked it so much, don't remember it having great shooter controls like some people are acting. Was a buggy mess too and the only bug I've seen in TOW so far is an incorrect stat on helmets when upgrading them.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
TOW is aggressively mediocre. I honestly don't know what people see in it. The writing has some flashes of brilliance but other than that, oof.

should probably google PSN return policy.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
No way. For all the faults - and there are many - of the 3D Fallouts, at least it falls back on interesting gunplay. Something that the Outer Worlds sorely lacks.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout, Fallout 2 and New Vegas are all much better. That's three of the greatest RPG's ever made, though.

That being said, Outer Worlds is still very good. I'd rank it ahead of Fallout 3 and 4.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Depends on what you want out of it. It isn't as big as those games so it's smaller and more contained. If you want open world it isn't that.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
At the least, Outer Worlds isnt complete shit when it comes to gun mechanics, and the artstyle/world is FAR more interesting than anything in NV.

Sure the gunplay is better but that isn't the meat and potatoes of these games. As an open-ended RPG, New Vegas tramples TOW in every aspect of what makes RPGs enjoyable. And I'm not even talking about scope. Given TOWs more contained design, you would think the quests would be more interwoven into each other or that they'd be a lot more interesting, but they aren't.

Hell, the character progression isn't even very good. I saw everything TOW had to offer on the first planet. Hour 30 was no different than hour 5.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
It's not better then 3 or New Vegas. I do agree with the Mass Effect comparison as far as structure goes.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Better than every shitty Bethesda one, yes. Not better than 1 or 2, but in the same league as.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Outer Worlds has better gunplay imo. You can play it as a shooter.
Yeah, and that's the problem.

It's like the game is designed as a shooter first and RPG later. It feels like I'm playing Borderlands sometimes, especially when I'm outside of civilizations. Even the enemy encounter design is pretty similar, with boxes and buildings to hide, as well as explosives to help you deal with them. Yes, the enemies would chill besides explosives, just like in many other shooters out there. Morever, the quest design in TOW is also pretty close to Borderlands, they're mostly fetch quests. However, TOW excels in writing and actual roleplaying aspects compared to Borderlands.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel

Wait, what were the other Fallout games?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It really, really depends on what you're into modern Fallout for.

I'd say it's easily a better game than Fallout 4 from pretty much any angle, unless you really like aimless settlement creation and having tons of NPCs to shoot, which to be fair are perfectly valid things to enjoy in a game.

It's a better RPG than Fallout 3 thanks to its writing, but Fallout 3 has a LOT more pseudo-immersive-sim shit going on than The Outer Worlds, so if you really enjoy that aspect of Bethesda's Fallout games (like I do), then The Outer Worlds may not do it for you like Fallout did, unless being a pretty great RPG completely outweighs that shit to you.

I don't think it's better than Fallout New Vegas but I don't think there's a 3D RPG in existence that's better than Fallout New Vegas, especially when it's modded out and played in survival mode.

I can say this for sure, though. As long as Bethesda is exclusively holding the reigns... you can bet your bottom dollar that The Outer Worlds will be better than any Fallout game moving forward. Bethesda has taken Fallout in a pretty shitty direction and I don't know if the franchise will ever recover.

In the future, I won't find myself getting excited for Fallout reveals. Bethesda's vision for Fallout is just... Far Cry. Far Cry featuring

- Vault Boy Vault Boy Vault Boy Vault Boy Vault Boy Vault Boy
- inventory management
- bullet sponge enemies
- Remember Vault Boy?
- choice over what order you experience rigid story beats in
- poorly integrated settlement mechanics
- Vault Boy does a funny

and I'm good on that

Last edited: