• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Those who say New Vegas is better, do you think even today, with someone going in blind, it would be the better game? Just trying to isolate any nostalgia since it's been a bit since it first released. I've tried to play it on PC but didn't enjoy the first few hours, maybe it'd be better on Xbox since it's with Game Pass now.

I have been loving Outer Worlds though.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
No. I had a great time in the early hours of The Outer Worlds, but the further I got into it the more the sheen wore off. It feels like playing Fallout 3 or New Vegas but modded to give you the maximum in every stat. Playing as a character with no points in every combat skill and everything in speech/persuasion type stuff, I found combat an absolute breeze and I have like three or four different guaranteed-pass speech checks in any conversation. I can pick any lock, hack any terminal effortlessly, stealth is totally unnecessary, loot and equipment is meaningless, there's no joy in finding some cool new weapon because combat is braindead easy.

And, unfortunately, most of the quests are just straightforward waypoint -> waypoint -> waypoint -> waypoint -> done, with the only real choice being which flavour of speech check you choose at the very end. Make the quest end snarkily with Persuasion, smartly with Intelligence, intimidatingly with Intimidate, or by shooting with <ATTACK>. The decision at the end of the Edgewater/Deserters quest was a really great moral quandary, but I haven't come across anything like that in the rest of the game. I haven't finished it, though, so I'm holding out hope.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Question: Have you only played the Bethesda games?

No I put time into one and two back in the day but never beat them (I don't particularly like isometric games) and I have played through NV many times.

What does that have to do with my opinion?
TOW's lack of exploration, lack of open world, simish faction interaction and a focus on what are essentially loyalty missions and witty banter between companions puts me more in the headspace of a mass effect than a Fallout.

But I think the main thing is the fundamental change to smaller areas, the lack of exploration, which is something I really enjoy. That open world style has big flow on effects to how combat encounters occur, how plot pacing is managed, how loyalty quests activate, changing all that impacts how a game feels pretty substantially.

I still enjoy TOW but not the same way I enjoy Fallout games.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get into Outer Worlds and I couldn't get into New Vegas either. Fallout 3 is probably my favorite out of the 3d ones.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No I put time into one and two back in the day but never beat them (I don't particularly like isometric games) and I have played through NV many times.

What does that have to do with my opinion?
TOW's lack of exploration, lack of open world, simish faction interaction and a focus on what are essentially loyalty missions and witty banter between companions puts me more in the headspace of a mass effect than a Fallout.

But I think the main thing is the fundamental change to smaller areas, the lack of exploration, which is something I really enjoy. That open world style has big flow on effects to how combat encounters occur, how plot pacing is managed, how loyalty quests activate, changing all that impacts how a game feels pretty substantially.

I still enjoy TOW but not the same way I enjoy Fallout games.
Fallout is not about random open world barf that you wander around 'exploring' - that's WHY there was resistance to Bethesda getting the IP to begin wtih. TOW is the Fallout 3 we've been waiting for for 20 years.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Fallout is not about random open world barf that you wander around 'exploring' - that's WHY there was resistance to Bethesda getting the IP to begin wtih. TOW is the Fallout 3 we've been waiting for for 20 years.

You waited a really long time for an average shooter with some great dialogue trees and decent skill checks? Really?

Last edited:

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
That's small thing. Essays have been written about how bad the checks in 3 are.

No doubt, the random chance thing was poor design and like I said at the beginning of my reply...F3 is often aggressively stupid.

My counterpoint was simply on the idea of why I had more "fun" with F3. It wasn't cuz the dialogue responses were better, it's because the situations weren't so dull. Most things "work" and make sense in Outer Worlds (except the anti-capitalist message combined with a "drug addicts aren't worth human consideration so blast them on sight")...they've got the "what do they eat?" questions mostly solved (yeah, i've seen that video too).

F3 was a theme part with sort of busted rides, but they were more exciting than the Sunday drive that Outer Worlds becomes.

EDIT: OW also has some of Mass Effect's problems too. Like:
"Hey, if you choose to do this, it goes against everything I know to be right and good. I really think you should reconsider! Seriously, from my perspective, you are really hurting a lot of people!"
"<does it anyway>"
"You know what, I disagreed with your choice, but it also taught me a lesson, so I'll follow you to the ends of the earth and let you guide me through my deepest personal problems."

Last edited:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I mean, it really depends what you are looking for. Honestly Fallout 4 with all it's expansions is a pretty fun game. Is it a good fallout game? Maybe... New Vegas encapsules the spirit of what fallout really is the best out of the 3D games.

Outer Worlds is a Hub World game with diverging storylines and humor similar to the Fallout series but it isn't a Fallout game.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
If you're counting only the bethesda produced fallout games, it's around 3 and new vegas level. Not better.

Fallout 1 and 2 remain the best out of all for me.

It's better than Fall out 5, it's up there with Fallout New Vegas (also made by them)
Fallout 5? You mean the spin-off game 76 or fallout 4?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Those who say New Vegas is better, do you think even today, with someone going in blind, it would be the better game? Just trying to isolate any nostalgia since it's been a bit since it first released. I've tried to play it on PC but didn't enjoy the first few hours, maybe it'd be better on Xbox since it's with Game Pass now.

I replayed both Fallout 3 and New Vegas earlier this year. And yes NV is miles better than TOW.

vastick

Banned
May 4, 2019
No. Maybe better than Fallout 76 but i haven't played that one. Somehow The Outer Worlds manage to be even more disappointing than Fallout 4.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I replayed both Fallout 3 and New Vegas earlier this year. And yes NV is miles better than TOW.

I am playing through New Vegas right now, with a goal to finally beat all the DLC, and it's better. No contest. The one area OW shits all over New Vegas is stability/bugs. OW was rock solid for me until the last 20 minutes. On top of the occasional crashing, New Vegas most recently gave me problems trying to load my saves. A problem I am told start on windows 8 or 10, because I didn't have that problem back on windows 7 when I last played it. Luckily the fix was easy.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Outerworlds can't topple New Vegas; I wasn't sure how everyone would be feeling on ERA but I'm glad to see that most people still similarly.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Fallout 2 > Fallout > New Vegas > Outer Worlds > Fallout 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fallout 4

Oct 25, 2017
It's not better than New Vegas and is better than 3 or 4 (I'm not counting the isometric Fallouts in the comparison here), but really, this game should be compared to KotOR or maybe Mass Effect rather than Fallout, IMO. The latter series are about visiting multiple locations that are a bit more compact rather than one connected open world.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
overall i found even fo4 to be far more engaging than OW. The world, exploration, combat are massively better in fo4. OW does dialogue and rpg mechanics better but not by much. Disappointing game for me in the end.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
It's better then 4(which it feels most similar too) but way weaker then NV,1,2.
I'm not sure if I prefer 3 or T:OW.
The rest of the Fallout franchise isn't worth discussing.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's better than all the Fallouts and all the Mass Effects I've played, because of the script and dialogues and RPG gameplay. I love it.

But it's not perfect.

I would still have loved it more if it was third person. First spending 15 minutes to create the perfect character only to then just see a gun unless you go into the inventory. Seems like a waste.

And as with all RPGs, I always get disappointed when I see that I can carry around 20 weapons in my pocket or whatever. One on each shoulder and one that I'm holding would be enough.
Edit: Since the main character model isn't shown anyway they should've totally add some humor by showing all the gear on the character's back on the inventory screen, like in Death Stranding, because that's exactly what we're dealing with here.

And I would've wanted bigger maps. You're on a bunch of different planets but can only visit a tiny fraction of the surface. Bummer.

And I want more exploration bonuses.

But I'm guessing all this comes from the tighter budget and could get fixed in a sequel now when MS is ready to open their wallet.

Last edited:

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I loved 3, and I think Outer Worlds is on par or maybe slightly below it.
Haven't finished 4, but the game wasn't able to really suck me in in the few hours I played of it.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
1, 2 and New Vegas are in a different league.

It's better than 4 at least

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
In order of quality to me

Fallout 2 > Fallout 1 > New Vegas > Outer Worlds > Fallout: Tactics > Fallout 3 > Fallout 4, does 76 even count?

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I've only played the 3D Fallout games, but yeah I'd say it's better than 3 or 4 easily. New Vegas still comes out on top for me, though.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I had a great time in the early hours of The Outer Worlds, but the further I got into it the more the sheen wore off. It feels like playing Fallout 3 or New Vegas but modded to give you the maximum in every stat. Playing as a character with no points in every combat skill and everything in speech/persuasion type stuff, I found combat an absolute breeze and I have like three or four different guaranteed-pass speech checks in any conversation. I can pick any lock, hack any terminal effortlessly, stealth is totally unnecessary, loot and equipment is meaningless, there's no joy in finding some cool new weapon because combat is braindead easy.

And, unfortunately, most of the quests are just straightforward waypoint -> waypoint -> waypoint -> waypoint -> done, with the only real choice being which flavour of speech check you choose at the very end. Make the quest end snarkily with Persuasion, smartly with Intelligence, intimidatingly with Intimidate, or by shooting with <ATTACK>. The decision at the end of the Edgewater/Deserters quest was a really great moral quandary, but I haven't come across anything like that in the rest of the game. I haven't finished it, though, so I'm holding out hope.

The games beginning is it's strongest point and it goes downhill from there. And everything you wrote is exactly on point. Your character is a typical Mary Sue and skill allocation, character building is basically meaningless and it only gets worse the longer you play. The game is getting a serious "fuck Bethesda" pass because of Fallout 76.

1, 2 ,3, and New Vegas are better Fallout games. Fallout 4 is better in many ways, worse in others. So ti answer the Ops question, is it better than any Fallout games? Absolutely yes, it's better than 76, other than that you'd have a hard time convincing me.

First off Fallout is about open world exploration now, even New Vegas was about that. It's time to let the RPG Codex like complaining go. Ironically, the Codex doesn't really seem to like this game at all, which makes no sense if it's "the Fallout 3 we've been waiting 20 years for" because they'd be the first group of people to slurp old school Fallout gameplay.

Second, TOW isn't even remotely similar to even the first two Fallouts. Those games had actual challenging encounters. They had meaningful character build choices that didn't allow you to become an all-powerful, do anything god like TOW. TOW shares more in common with Fallout 4 than either of the first two Fallouts, btw. Nothing about TOW says 'spiritual successor' to those games and, frankly, it's some of Obsidians weakest work in terms of characters, dialog and story. Most of the companions are shit and I couldn't name one character that I'll be talking about this time next year. It's a completely forgettable experience but at least it's not buggy.

Anyway, no, TOW isn't the Fallout 3 we've been waiting for for 20 years. TOW is the knock off, safe, hybrid version of Mass Effect and Fallout with less memorable characters and gameplay than either series. It's a nice baby step into a, hopefully, massively more fleshed out sequel, but not much else.

In order of quality to me

Fallout 2 > Fallout 1 > New Vegas > Outer Worlds > Fallout: Tactics > Fallout 3 > Fallout 4, does 76 even count?

That's about right, but I'd move TOW either between 3 and 4 or between 4 and 76.

Revan Ren

Jan 11, 2018
I enjoyed New Vegas a lot more, The Outer Worlds is much smaller in scale than any of the Bethesda Fallout games. If I had to rank the games...

Fallout: New Vegas
The Outer Worlds
Fallout 3
Fallout 4

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
It's a completely different style of game honestly.

Don't play one over the other assuming they'd be the same experience. The Outer Worlds is really closer to KOTOR than Fallout, at least, Fallout 3 and up.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's a good game, the obsession with comparing it to other games is bizarre to me. Just play the damn game lol

Sarcastico

Oct 27, 2017
The environment, exploration and side content of Fallout 3 (and 4 to an extent) trumps The Outer Worlds. Those are what makes these types of games fun, in my opinion.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Technically even Fallout 4 is still better considering Far Harbor is just as good as New Vegas.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017

I mean, one of the best things about FO4 is that it was such a minor upgrade, all things considered, that going back to NV is easy. I mean, it's a PS3/360 gen open world game, it ain't pretty. But if you're into what NV does well, quests, characters, story and lore it absolutely delivers.

First few hours can definitely be a bit slow, but that's intentional. It eases you into and towards a lot of early exploring and combat ops, but you can also fuck off and wing it.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I mean, one of the best things about FO4 is that it was such a minor upgrade, all things considered, that going back to NV is easy. I mean, it's a PS3/360 gen open world game, it ain't pretty. But if you're into what NV does well, quests, characters, story and lore it absolutely delivers.

First few hours can definitely be a bit slow, but that's intentional. It eases you into and towards a lot of early exploring and combat ops, but you can also fuck off and wing it.
Thanks! I reinstalled it on the PC last night and decided to push on and I'm hoping to see what so many of you have with it. Putting Outer Worlds on hold for now as I'm starting to see what some are with how it's all a bit of the same from one quest to the next. So a good time to take a break and see how NV compares.

If I may ask, what's with not being able to assign a gun to slot 2? I know it's tied to something else, is there a way to change that? And what about running, going as fast as I can right now seems incredibly slow. I'm not walking, which is obviously even worse and I'm not encumbered.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
It's better than any of the current gen Fallout's for sure. I'm undecided if I like it better than Fallout 1 and 2 though.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
As good as Fallout 3 is I don't think any game burned me out so much as that did. Played it to completion with all the DLC's and it legitimately took me years to be able to properly enjoy similar games.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I like its writing, world and world building a lot more than I did Fallout 4 and especially 3. Overall it feels much more Mass Effecty than those games, which I appreciate. Also there's humor. I'd recommend TOW over at least those two.

Only played New Vegas a little so I dunno about that, but I think games like this benefit from being rid of the baggage of that dreary universe.
I actually care a bit about what's going on in The Outer Worlds and to its characters.
I care less about combat, so no idea if that's better or worse or how or why. I just bulldozer through it on story mode.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Now you are selling something I ain't buyin. Once I am done with NV maybe I will boot up 4 and give the DLC a go. Just to see.
Far Harbor is better than anything in vanilla Fallout 4 but it still isn't as good as NV. And the fucking block puzzles oh my god they suck.