• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This thought randomly came to me when I was thinking of "Undeniable Video game facts" and thought;

"Any games that has Mario in it will sell"

Paper Mario Colour Splash bombed on the Wii-u.

It unfortunate combination of being on the poorly selling Wii-u and basically being sticker star 2.0. Granted it has improved compared to the last game, the card based system steered most fans away.

Last time I checked in terms of sales, Colour Splash around 80k at launch.

Would this be considered the worst selling game in the Mario franchise? Am I forgetting one that has done worse?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
maybe made by nintendo

outside of that probably those edutainment games that released in the 90's

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I'd be interested to know, OP, because from what I heard it was actually a really charming game.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be shocked if there wasn't some NES spin off or something on the GBA/DSiWare that sold less.

Also, it's Wii U not Wii-u. Please respect the dead

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I was going to say "Are we excluding the obscure spinoffs like Mario Is Missing?" but then I looked it up and found that Mario Is Missing sold over 1 million units. So that's a thing.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
wasn't also like the last mario game to launch on wiiu? Pretty sure we alreadly knew about switch when it landed on it, rigth?

But where is this data from op? if true, i will go buy ritgh away, this will be a fortune few years from now.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If we're counting games actually made and published by Nintendo and not weird PC and CDi games, may I submit:

Tv0ZdTC.png

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Mario Tennis Ultra Smash also on Wii U was possibly even worse. I know that Zhuge commented around Aces' launch that in the U.K. at least US's sales were abysmal, even by Wii U standards.

Paper Mario has a decent enough following that I'd imagine it sold somewhat better.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Mario Party Advance hold that title at one point?

Edit: I might've mixed that up with worst reviewed Mario game, not sure.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
there was that game where you played Go Fish with Mario

Mario was a fucking cheater too

fuck you Mario

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
If it is, it's a shame, because it has one of the funniest scripts out there. The writing is fantastic, and I really hate the "Sticker Star 2.0" moniker, because it just isn't true.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
It was criminal how much people shit on the combat system in this game. The card system was incredibly fun.

FulgoreX

Alt Account
Sep 27, 2018
They made the mistake of releasing it on the Wii-U in late 2016, it doesn't surprise me. It wouldn't surprise me if it does get a second chance on Switch.

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All the European and Japanese microcomputer versions. The arcade games. The Game & Watch games. The non-Bros FDS games. The IBM PC edutainment games. Hotel Mario. Probably all the Satellaview, N64DD and Virtual Boy games.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Short answer: No, it is not.

Long answer: No, it is not and it is also a very fun game.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Bro. Special for the PC88 is pretty damn rare nowadays:

199566-mario-bros-special-pc-88-front-cover.jpg

And note that I'm not talking about the comparatively well-known Super Mario Bros. Special. I'm talking about just plain old Mario Bros. Special.

Bonus points for the even rarer FM-7 and Sharp X1 versions.

OP
OP
Ex-Psych

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
wasn't also like the last mario game to launch on wiiu? Pretty sure we alreadly knew about switch when it landed on it, rigth?

But where is this data from op? if true, i will go buy ritgh away, this will be a fortune few years from now.

I remember seeing those numbers from vgchartz.

Not reliable I know, but they're the only ones who posted data about it

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and how about Punch Ball Mario Bros. for the PC-88/FM-7/Sharp X1 while we're at it?

256px-PBMB_Boxart.jpg

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I am proud to be in the minority of people who pre-ordered this game, and also didn't regret it. The card based system is eh but overall very fun game bursting with humor and personality. Not Sticker Star 2.0, because Sticker Star was horrible.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Poor Color Splash. The game isn't anywhere near Thousand Year Door, but I can't help but feel a lot of the hatred for it is just residual hatred of Sticker Star. The game has a ton of great stuff to offer, and I genuinely enjoyed the whole experience. If we lived in a world where Sticker Star never released, I imagine Color Splash would still be a black sheep, but not nearly to the degree it is, rather just a game that tried to be experimental but didn't live up to the series greats, while still being a worthwhile experience in it's own right (like, say, the DS Zelda games, or Mario Sunshine). If you haven't tried it and are curious, I give this game a huge recommendation. It's just delightful and clever the whole way through, if a little safe.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if experience points and a leveling system alone would've made a huge difference in reception if it was actually as legit good as people are saying above.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing those numbers from vgchartz.

Not reliable I know, but they're the only ones who posted data about it

Write down the name of whatever game you want, then write down whatever number you want beside each game.

Congratulations, you're now as reliable a source as VGChartz.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
Color Splash deserves better. Such a charming, fun, funny, game with amazing graphics.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
the game was also leaked two weeks in advance and many people played for free via homebrew.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not. Many Mario games sold less than 1 million much like Paper Mario Color Splash, and you don't even need to go to obscure spin-offs of the franchise to reach that.

We can't know how exactly those games below 1 million sold so we have no idea which game of the franchise sold less.

Based upon the sales nobody played it :P

Based upon the sales many good games had no people playing them either. lol

Jul 24, 2018
As someone who adores A Thousand Year Door, I for one, actually enjoyed this game a lot and wish it had done better.

thomaser

Nov 26, 2017
Colour Splash is a fantastic game. I have a backlog of hundreds, even thousands of games, and almost never play games twice. Nevertheless, I played through Colour Splash twice in a row because I didn't get enough of it. And I still want more - hope they'll make a third some time.

That's not to say I prefer it over the "normal" Paper Marios or the Mario&Luigi-games. All three concepts are good in their own ways.

Proto

Jan 19, 2018
If it is the worst selling Mario game, that's a shame because Color Splash was a blast

Oct 27, 2017
This thought randomly came to me when I was thinking of "Undeniable Video game facts" and thought;

"Any games that has Mario in it will sell"

Paper Mario Colour Splash bombed on the Wii-u.

It unfortunate combination of being on the poorly selling Wii-u and basically being sticker star 2.0. Granted it has improved compared to the last game, the card based system steered most fans away.

Last time I checked in terms of sales, Colour Splash around 80k at launch.

Would this be considered the worst selling game in the Mario franchise? Am I forgetting one that has done worse?
If you only checked "at launch" why would you assume it's still the worst selling?

Most estimates put it just below a million, around 800k+ with 300K+ coming from Us

So not amazing but not the worst

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Wii U made a lot of victims, that's how toxic that console was.
And yes it was indefinitely better than Sticker Star.