• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
IXYUzOt.png

I don't know why but in Japan peanut butter prices have literally doubled in past number of months. I've bought this 2 pack of 1.36kg / 48oz Skippy jars for like 2000円 before but it's suddenly 4150円 (like $38 USD). This same item is currently under $15 USD on Amazon US. It's all peanut butter too not just this brand.

This is maximum nonsense and I'm suffering without cheap pb. Help me find out if this is a worldwide peanut butter price fixing phenomenon. Has the price gone up over the past year where you live? Is peanut butter cheap anywhere outside the US???

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
IXYUzOt.png

I don't know why but in Japan peanut butter prices have literally doubled in past number of months. I've bought this 2 pack of 1.36kg / 48oz Skippy jars for like 2000円 before but it's suddenly 4150円 (like $38 USD). This same item is currently under $15 USD on Amazon US. It's all peanut butter too not just this brand.

This is maximum nonsense and I'm suffering without cheap pb. Help me find out if this is a worldwide peanut butter price fixing phenomenon. Has the price gone up over the past year where you live? Is peanut butter cheap anywhere outside the US???
This exact thing costs like 10 bucks here.
Peanut butter is disgusting in anything but Kit Kat and on chicken.
Get out.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always spend around €3,25 for a 650g jar, which according to Google is about $US 3,75.

That's not counting any promotions, sometimes it's €2,50 etc.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
That looks like a Costco pack being resold on Amazon for more no? I have never looked for peanut butter at Costco though (I rarely eat the stuff).

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I like using it to thicken some sauces. Perfect fit for Japanese curry
I can't afford such a luxury at the moment. Actually it's cheaper to just make the more natural style of peanut butter now but not that cheap.

That looks like a Costco pack being resold on Amazon for more no? I have never looked for peanut butter at Costco though (I rarely eat the stuff).
Costco does have these too but it's not being resold I think the same things are on most int'l amazons. This was on the site for years for not this price anyway. Unless Costco was the source and the supplies to Amazon specifically have just evaporated here.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I always spend around €3,25 for a 650g jar, which according to Google is about $US 3,75.
That's not counting any promotions, sometimes it's €2,50 etc.
Hasn't changed here,(Alabama, US)
I get those Jif 2packs of 48oz at Sam's Club for under $10
Yup, I buy Skippy two packs all the time, they range from about 10 to 12 bucks, I can get one right now at Walmart for $10.86, could get cheaper from Costco too.
Seems like a Japan conspiracy then.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Peanut butter is disgusting in anything but Kit Kat and on chicken.
That's disgusting.

Ruining a perfectly good kit kat.

Also if an item has to be imported and has low sales volumes in a country, you're going to be gouged.

We have "American food" aisles of supermarket chains and the prices of imports are staggering compared to the base cost.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Don't you have native brands of peanut butter in Japan, surely importing isn't the only option?

A big jar of PB is like £2-3 here, it's pretty cheap.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Don't you have native brands of peanut butter in Japan, surely importing isn't the only option?
A big jar of PB is like £2-3 here, it's pretty cheap.
Wait, does Japan not have it's own Peanut Butter?
There are Japanese brands but they are just more expensive.

Is this one of the many things Trump is Tariffing? Because that might be why.
No idea. Would have to be on the peanut butter itself though not peanuts.

Wait people buy peanut butter by the kilogram?
My local prices are about 1AUD for 100grams
Didn't used to but it's cheaper.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
IXYUzOt.png

Costco Japan has been out of PB for a long time (supposedly the previous shipment was destroyed at customs for a BS reason).
Good news is that it'll be sold again but packaged differently and hopefully will reappear soon (I'm tired of going easy on PB on my sandwiches).

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Costco Japan has been out of PB for a long time (supposedly the previous shipment was destroyed at customs for a BS reason).
Good news is that it'll be sold again but packaged differently and hopefully will reappear soon (I'm tired of going easy on PB on my sandwiches).
Really? It's been this expensive for months though. I wonder if the purchase is so rare on Amazon that a single shipment would cause this kind of price increase for so long lol.

Is it the same price at Costco then? I could go and check but if you're saying its the actual costco shipment then maybe no point until price returns.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Really? It's been this expensive for months though. I wonder if the purchase is so rare on Amazon that a single shipment would cause this kind of price increase for so long lol.

Is it the same price at Costco then? I could go and check but if you're saying its the actual costco shipment then maybe no point until price returns.

No, that large double pack at Costco was about 1,600¥ and most of the ones on Amazon JP were just resellers of Costco bought PB.
At least every Costco I called in Kanto was out (didn't try west of Nagoya though).
I hope the sizes will be similar when the new packaged size comes back to Costco. :(

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Would be £4.70 for the same amount at Tesco

Edit - I lie, that's for half the amount, so just under £10

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
IXYUzOt.png

Yeah as said above, it's about $10 at our local store to get a couple. Also, this is seriously my favorite peanut butter of all time. It's the only one I go for. PB&J, with grape jam and whole wheat white bread from Sara Lee. Fuck yeah.

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
I pay ~$4-5 for a smallish jar of Skippy in China. Currently in Bogota and it's expensive here too, but just going off what I've heard.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt Peanut Butter the most common spread there is? I mean pretty much every kid eats PBJ, celery and peanut butter, peanut butter toast, etc in america.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isnt Peanut Butter the most common spread there is? I mean pretty much every kid eats PBJ, celery and peanut butter, peanut butter toast, etc in america.
It is way, way more popular in America than in most places around the world.

I would say in the UK, most people have never had a PBJ sandwich, and a decent number have never brought a single jar of PB in their life. Although sales have been increasing as people move away from sugary spreads, and thanks to brands like Meridian and Whole Earth being pretty well advertised.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
That is really expensive. I pay about $12 for a double pack of that size.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I get a massive tub of special protein peanut butter every month. Costs about £4 for a kilo. Its not nice but i need it.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
Peanut butter seems insanely cheap here in the U.S., now if only almond butter was as affordable :p

Japan seems the pricest on many veggie/fruit based items, even for homegrown options...

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
On top of the typical Japan tax for common foreign goods, peanut crops (at least here in the american south) have been pretty hard hit by terrible weather patterns over the past couple of years.
Peanut/Pecan products have increased in value naturally.