• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yo fifteen bucks for two jars of shitty peanut butter is insane, let alone 40$. they don't have bodega ass PB in japan?

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I can get a jar of natural peanut butter for $5 in Canada. Lasts about 2 weeks.
51-VrToRarL._SX425_.jpg

Yea that's right, crunchy motherfuckas. Come at me.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Cheap as hell in America. I buy a jar a week. Smucker's Natural Chunky. Usually costs me about $3.50.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I ususally buy the 1lb/16oz Great Value No-Stir All Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, but that lasts at least a couple weeks in my household. It's only $2.18. Crunchy is the same price.

5lb/80oz double packs are less than $8.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
doesn't cost much here. I mostly just buy it to put in the dog's toys since I don't really like it much

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
It's ridiculous. Finding it in stores is hard to begin with and even then it's usually in small jars. Sometimes my family in the states throw in a jar or two when they send me stuff, thankfully. If I'm lucky they'll include some real Cheetos too. Japan's abominable Cheetos are a sin.

Oct 27, 2017
40966.jpg

They swap out the peanut oil for palm oil, which has a higher melting point, keeping the oil from separating out of the peanut butter. Thus, no stirring is required. They only add a tiny amount of organic cane sugar as a sweetener (2 or 3 grams per serving), and it winds up being the perfect amount.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
DkzNjyhU0AEXzhc.jpg

Went up in price again, now it's like $50 USD smfh.

Also I went to costco the other day and they had no peanut butter either, so maybe Japan is just cut off from this product. Wake me from this nightmare.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Good peanut butter (the only kind worth eating) is about NZ$6/400g (about US$4).

I do however order in bulk (like, 16kg in one order) from myprotein. I eat a lot of peanut butter (at least 90g/day) so it makes sense to buy that way.

You can get one of those bad boys for <NZ$10 (US$6.6) when they have a discount:

It's 100% peanut and it actually tastes great (which I really wasn't expecting considering their protein powders are so fucking disgusting).

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah what in the fuckery is going on. Used to pay about 1,800 for that double pack which is still overpriced and then a few months ago it went up to 5,000....

Nah bruv. Someone needs to get their head kicked in

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
16oz (453g) Skippy, Creamy or Extra Chunk, on sale at 2 for $3 USD.

So $9 for the quantity of a 2x48oz pack. (I never need that much.)

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
The natural kind (the only kind worth eating) can be. Skippy is vile.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
PB is cheap here in England. I'm not a fan of PB in general but I must say it goes really well with chicken on the barbecue. Mmm.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I lived in South Korea it was initially almost impossible to find. My second year, the E-Mart near me started carrying it. But my first year you had to go to the stores around the U.S. Army base to find it, and it was definitely at least 2x the price you'd see in the U.S.

Also, the best peanut butter is the kind you have to stir. Laura Scudder's is legit. Worth the price. However, you have to stir it, which is a barrier to entry. And if you don't stir it well, you get a super oily top half and a dried out bottom half. Best is to stir it up well, then leave it in the refrigerator upside down.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
It sucks because I want to put up some weight and there's no affordable peanut butter here in Japan, that shit is perfect for it.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I wonder if people saying chicken and peanut butter are gross realize that bomb ass sauce at all those Benihana type places are basically just gigantic tubs of peanut butter and mayonnaise mixed together. We'd make it in a plastic drum like the kind Jessie was supposed to dissolve the body in on Breaking Bad.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
What does Nutella cost in Japan? A billion yen?
If so I might start an export business. ;)
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00CLXBCFQ/
Dat much. Not sure if it's outrageous though I don't know what nutella costs elsewhere.

I wonder if people saying chicken and peanut butter are gross realize that bomb ass sauce at all those Benihana type places are basically just gigantic tubs of peanut butter and mayonnaise mixed together. We'd make it in a plastic drum like the kind Jessie was supposed to dissolve the body in on Breaking Bad.
Nothing about it even sounds gross unless you only think of Reese when you think of peanut butter. Unsweetened (and probably even slightly sweetened store bought) peanut butter or peanuts go great with lots of savory foods.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty expensive, weird as it look like it's made in Japan (has Japanese lettering)
Cost €1.79 here (discounted)
But! I see they have skippy for ÂĄ579 isn't that what you're looking for? o.o

VExo9K3.jpg

I'd have to buy 8 of these for a total of 4624円 to equal the amount that used to be available for 1800円! I don't really have a love for Skippy it was just by far the cheapest before and since peanut butter here is in general expensive there's just no longer any cheaper options lol.

Why don't you make your own? It's easy and could be cheaper. It's also healthier
Japanese peanuts are expensive for some reason and I can get cheaper like chinese ones in bulk but it wouldn't be much cheaper (at least compared to the original skippy price) and I'd need a processor. I actually did buy some from a bulk food shop today that has one of those machines setup for you to make however much you want on the fly. Was 120g for 250円 so not so cheap but oh well.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
2$ for this:
large_61528e0a-4858-4e3a-aa2e-c30fe1b5dcf1.JPG

But it's 2 for 4$ at my local spot.

Alternatively, pretty easy to make peanut butter homemade.
I have noticed peanuts are a bit expensive, but of all the 'nuts', they're the cheapest. So... I take what I can get. ~2.50$ for 16oz - no shells. That may seems like a good price, thing is, I eat peanuts a ton! (and I share a lot) Price adds up in a week lol

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Is this one of the many things Trump is Tariffing? Because that might be why.

Close, but Trump's tariffs only affect the American price of its own metal imports. A few months ago the EU and Japan both separately announced retaliatory tariffs on imports from the United States, including motorcycles, denim clothing and peanut butter.

So rising prices for peanut butter in Japan could well be a sign that the predicted trade wars are under way.