• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
If the bias can be broken down to "they are a better leader because we are better by design", yes. Very yes.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
In a vacuum, yes absolutely it's racist.

But we don't live in a vacuum and if a black person wants a black person to be their political/social leader because of the well-documented oppression against black people throughout history and thinks a black person (rightfully) understands that better than anyone else then no, it's not racist.

The discussion is nuanced yes, but it's not rocket science.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Of course their race was a cause or even the root cause for their life experiences, but it's still the life experiences and perspective the candidate has that I think most people are voting for. People are always going to want to vote for people they think will understand their struggles and challenges and fight for them.
And in the context of race those unique experiences tend to be based on the person's, well, race. I'm not sure what is even in contention.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
It is racist only if you are voting because they are the same race. But if its for any other reason other than race but they happen to be the same race as you then no.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the context of the question and the reason for the "preference". For example, if you prefer a leader of a country/city/etc... to be of the same ethnic group as you and all the previous leaders of said country/city/etc... have been in the same ethnic group and you're only expressing this preference when presented with an option for a leader from a different ethnic group, then yes that may be "racist/discriminatory". But if for example, it's the opposite of the previous example and you are expressing this preference because there has never been/very rarely a leader from your ethnic group in said country/city/etc..., then it's probably not "racist/discriminatory" since the intention is for more diversity in the leadership role.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
The choice itself is not, the reasoning can be.

"i want this person in office because they share an important life experience with me and i expect they will reflect that in their politics" is a perfectly valid political reason to vote for.

However it clearly means very different things based on who is saying it. A white person in america saying that sentence about a white politician is basically admitting that they enjoy an inherent privilege from being white and want to perpetuate the status quo by electing white people over and over. A PoC in america saying that same sentence is hoping to gain increased representation to correct disfavored conditions they live with because the people in power currently do not share that important life experience of being a person of color.

You could repeat the exercise with not just white/PoC, but just about any power dynamic. Like see what the context is when employers and employees say that same sentence.

irradiance

Oct 30, 2017
Could also be opportunism, depends on the reasoning. In this day and age, in most cases, probably racism.

Last edited:

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I'd rather the hierarchy itself get eliminated. A non-hierarchal structure if implement right would make this question useless because all groups would have a voice.

Now, to get out of that idealism, as many cities have found out, the idea that your skin folk is kinfolk can get you a very bad leader. But the amount of white or any majority population leaders willing to do what it takes to make life for their minority constituents is far fewer than people want to admit. Especially white people.

So it is prejudiced. But the alternative has bitten minorities in the back since forever, so good options are limited.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf is this thread lol

As left leaning person I will always vote left. So if for whatever reason there was a black republican candidate facing a white democratic candidate, I'd be considered racist for voting democratic? Lmfao

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
If it's your only criteria, yes.

If it's between two candidates of similar qualities and you prefer the one who's your race, also yes, but it's excusable.

Most people will go with who makes them feel most comfortable; there's comfort in familiarity, people are usually most familiar with their own race.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but I would file it under "justified prejudice". If you don't trust white plantation owners as a slave in the 1700s you're not being maliciously prejudiced, just realistic about your own survival.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
it depends if preference of race is one criteria that you look at in a leader.

It isn't for me so I don't believe so.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
If you are apart of the dominant/oppressor group, yes absolutely. Minority and marginalized groups have very real and valid reasons to vote for and prefer a person that is apart of their or other minority groups. If only for the sake of representation. That is completely fine.

Last edited:

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Racists say that all the time. I don't think context does matter. The reason you prefer a person matters, like others said if it's not only race than that's another thing, but if you choose purely based on race I don't think it matters much which race you're preferring.

Racists say that all the time. Context does matter. They said "Black people only voted for Obama cause of the color of his skin!". You can't compared people that have been historically marginallized vs those that haven't and have enjoyed leadership roles. Ignoring historical context is the bread and butter of many racists. Don't fall for the bull, dude.

By your logic anything that stresses upliftment of others from marginalized groups is racist/bigoted. Because it is based on the same criteria that led to their disenfranchisement.

And like I said, context matters. Black conservative dude being a "leader" we ain't just gonna follow him cause he black, lol. But a leader that expresses our own values and is also black? that's a win-win as far as I'm concerned. Make it a black woman for that trifecta.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
If you are apart of the dominant/oppressor group, yes absolutely. Minority and marginalized groups have very real and valid reasons to vote for and prefer a person that is apart of their or other minority groups. If only for the sake of representation. That is completely fine.

My thoughts as well.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully you're separating out thinking that a race would make a superior president from people wanting to actually have a proportional amount of representation in the highest office of the land.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
What a stupid ass thread that essentially ignores history.

1*_ofFTPdYycWXKbZB8zEsNA.jpeg

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing wrong with wanting to see people of minority races in positions of power. That's in support of equality.

But if you would prefer if only people of your race were leaders, then yes, that's a racist viewpoint.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
To answer that you would need to examine yourself. WHY do you prefer them to be your own race?

Oct 28, 2017
Racist? It depends. But regardless of what color you are, voting for someone solely because they're the closest to your skin tone is fucking stupid.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
It is. A political leader should be chosen based on ideology and proposed policy. Race is just a coincidental factor two people may share, but does not necessarily mean they will be aligned in political ideology or have the same interests.

If you don't care about policy or ideology, just about choosing someone who is not a different race from yours, that's racist.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
So if for whatever reason there was a black republican candidate facing a white democratic candidate, I'd be considered racist for voting democratic?

It could be argued so. Let us consider your imaginary example. What is the most effective action against racism: voting for a candidate from a minority group, or voting for the white democratic candidate? If the former is more effective yet you choose the latter, then you are deliberately not fighting racism with the best option offered to you. To evaluate your choice, you have to assess the consequences on society, and take into account the people less privileged than you and whose life would be positively impacted if the leader were not another white person. I won't provide a proper answer, it is just a hint that your immediate choice is not so obvious.

For instance, consider how empowering it is to have a charismatic and smart USA president like Obama, not just for American but for people all over the world. His sole presence in the worldwide media does more than a thousand words, because he conveys an extremely positive image. That is on another scale than Rep vs. Dem.

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
If the only reason you'd vote for this person over the other one is race, yes, most definitely.

You are supposed to vote for your leader based on their credentials and program, not the color of their skin.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i want to contribute to this thread but after reading most of the replies, i've realized the entire narrative is structured around America's POV so i guess there's nothing i can contribute as i'm not american.