• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not trying to ask a trick question, because there are some nuances to this question.

I just wanted to gauge ERA's opinion about it.

I think it is.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
why would it be?
racism has a definition.

if you Prefer someone for an election that is your race and you solely base your vote off of credentials it isn't.

if you chose them based solely on race..... yes
if you only vote your race..............................yes

voting credentials??........................................no

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Kinda.

To me this is like saying you'll only date a certain race. People will try to spin it all day to make themselves feel better and hide behind "preference", but at the end of the day saying, "I'll only date X race" is racist because you're basically tossing everyone from other races into the same boat, saying that their race prevents you from finding them attractive or being able to connect with them in a meaningful way.

To those folks I say, "Like what you like, but don't try to pretend that you aren't being racist." Obviously this offends people because a lot of folks still feel this way. I just remind them that there are levels to racism. Just because you refuse to say day an Asian person doesn't mean you'll run around spouting slurs, but you still are a little racist.

But like others have said, it's obvious why a minority would want another minority as President. I don't think that makes them racist because a lot of them will still vote for the white person if they don't have a choice. As whereas if a white person feels that way, they probably won't vote for a minority.

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Well if I vote in my best interest, you would naturally expect someone of your race to be just that.

It's only racist if you think race someone of a certain race has to think or behave a certain way

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, but only of youre worried about your leader glossing over important problems related to race. You cant expect everyone to have the same experience as yourself, and people from privileged races simply cannot understand what it really means to be considered "lesser".

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not racist for black people to want a black president given the unique experiences and struggles of being black in America.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Yeah I'd say that's pretty racist.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this literally "Well, those guys have the same opinions but this one is white so I like him better" or is there more to this that I'm not seeing?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a minority group prefers a president of their own minority, if its not racism, is it prejudiced? As I understand the racism = prejudice + power definition.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
so if there are 3 candidates and one of them is the same race as you and you choose them on credentials ............

we are not talking unconscious bias here.

you know

like if there were 3 candidates and 2 of them were extremely flawed and the one you liked was your race......

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It's not racist for black people to want a black president given the unique experiences and struggles of being black in America.

Yup, this here.

Oppressed classes of people are fine to advocate for representation of their class. Non-oppressed are just seeking to further their supremacy, whether purposeful or not.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Well if I vote in my best interest, you would naturally expect someone of your race to be just that.

It's only racist if you think race someone of a certain race has to think or behave a certain way

If you naturally prefer someone of your own race and expect them to better sympathize with you because of their race/background, isn't that racism? Or is that just prejudice?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you're white and want white people in positions of power preferentially then yeah that's definitely racist.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm going to have to agree w/ only if you're white. If you're black care about this, it's probably because you think black representatives understand your particular issues better than white representatives. Here, the primary consideration isn't actually skin color - hence why black voters don't heavily support black republicans. It's "who do I trust to best represent me on the issues that most effect me". White voters who really care about the race of their representatives... well.. I think you know where this is going.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
If a minority group prefers a president of their own minority, if its not racism, is it prejudiced? As I understand the racism = prejudice + power definition.

Yeah this situation makes it kind of tough. I would say in general yes, it's usually racist to have a strong racial preference in favor of your own race, especially when you're in power. Sometimes, though, if the goal is representation (say in a representational democracy) it might be a reasonable goal to have your representative share certain characteristics with yourself, including race. In the U.S., for example, many districts would probably be better served if their representatives looked a little more like the people who actually live there.

But yeah, if you preferred Trump over Obama because Trump is white, you're probably racist.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
So you choose them on credentials?

That's something else completely, what are you even doing? lol

no....because because we are talking about an instance where you do.

not that you prefer them every single time.
that would be racist

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
It really depends on why, most reasons would definitely fall under racism though. That said: if you're gonna vote for someone just because of skin color alone there's a definitely a problem even if somehow it ends up not being a racist problem.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Race, alongside religion and gender, should have little importance when making a decision on a candidate.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
You don't vote for a skin colour, you vote for a party plarform/program. Well, that's my opinion.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, yes it is

Race shouldn't factor one bit in your preference of a leader.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
If you prefer them solely based on the fact that they are the same race as you, and not because they have good policies and just happen to be the same race, then yes it's racist I believe.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
no....because because we are talking about an instance where you do.

not that you prefer them every single time.
that would be racist
No, we're talking about choosing on race alone... which is racist. That is the topic of the thread. Pay attention.

Choosing on credentials is something else.

Why you can't see this is quite alarming...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This implies that certain races, specifically yours, produce better leaders and yes such thinking is straight up racist.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
if the reason is literally because they are the same race as you, yes that would have literal racial bias factoring into it.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
yes, how is this even a question
Maybe read the other responses and that will become apparent...

If someone's race is the only reason you're voting for them, then sure. If not, then no. That said, there's absolutely an argument to be made for why a group that's discriminated against would want someone of that same group in power that has nothing to do with racism. You would want someone who may have been through similar situations and circumstances in their lives that people of another race would not have had to expereince.