• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember the middle of the nineties? First person shooter or FPS really wasn't a term, only thing that existed was... "Doom clones". The reason was simple, Doom absolutely changed the way to play action games, both tech-wise and game design-wise with its level design, its weapon balance, its fast-paced gameplay, and most importantly, its innovative tech that allowed devs to fake complex 3D worls by using very complex algorithms to display projections of 2D elements to give the impression of 3D, but with an incredibly smooth and fast rendition, unlike those older turn-based dungeon crawlers.

The result was that everyone wanted a piece of that Doom cake. Brilliant games like Heretic, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Dark Forces, Rise Of The Triad, Marathon, Duke Nukem 3D. In a fairly short amount of time, a lot of "Doom clones" appeared, with many devs who were merely doing side-scroller or top view games suddenly realizing the insane potential of the first person view, starting to develop there and effectively make themselves a name there. Now historic devs like Bungie, 3D Realms and Raven Software made themselves a name thanks to what they could do with the Doom's revolutionary tech.

Fast-forward to 2018. PlayerUnknown's BattleGrounds, or PUBG, is a game that sold close to 40 million copies in 12 months (not counting mobile versions) between PC and Xbox. There are millions of players playing every day on PC alone. What is arguably the biggest non-mobile game on the planet right now, Fortnite Battle Royale, was put together quickly to answer to that success story. Since then we also had all kinds of games copy that formula, one that wasn't that new per se but that PUBG popularized beyond imagination: games like GTA V, Dying Light, and soon behemoths like Call Of Duty, Battlefield and even The Division probably offering something of the sorts, not to mention the specific BR-games like Radical Heights.

PUBG has been out for less than 13 months, and yet, its legacy created what is the biggest non-mobile game out there right now, it inspired games already cashing in BILLIONS like Call Of Duty and GTA to make a gamemode based on it, there are tons of clones, unrelated games throwing in Battle Royale experiments. Fans of all games are talking about the potential of Battle Royale in their games. A Battle Royale game like Fortnite is the new rage among kids and actual news channels got used to mentioning it per name like Minecraft.

If I think about it, there isn't much else I can think after Doom that had a similar impact. Perhaps Super Mario 64, but that only really pushed games that were already platformers to try the 3D route, you didn't suddenly have, say, RTS games going for that Super Mario clone. Gears pushed the cover-based shooters, but it didn't have such an insane impact. GTA and Assassin's Creed, to mention two, had a great impact on adventure games since a lot of them moved to open world, but in many cases it was a lot more gradual change - Zelda, Tomb Raider, etc. all went that route over a decade after GTA 3. Some zombie games like Call Of Duty's own mode and Left 4 Dead pushed the zombie craze, and games like ARK subsequently pushed survival elements which surprisingly impacted even games like Tomb Raider, but I don't feel that any of those games got such an insane recognition and deep inspiration on all game developers.

So... is PUBG the most influential game in the past 25 years, given the kind of legacy it's giving to Battle Royale games and how it's impacting totally unrelated triple-A games like GTA, Call Of Duty and Dying Light on such a short notice? Was there anything more influential in these 25 years in such a short amount of time? If so, what?

QUICK EDIT: Let's try and not turn this thread into how good or bad is Battle Royale or how original are other games. Let's try and think about what games could have had a bigger and faster influence than PUBG in the past 25 years.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, but you could argue Cookie Clicker is an even bigger influence with half of the top games on mobile being idle clickers

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I don't think PUBG has many infleuential traits, but the mode itself will prolly be everywhere this E3.

For the past 25 years? come on.

I think Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, and Resident Evil 4 are way bigger influencers.

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
do you only play shooters

edit: actually even in the context of shooters (well, not first person ones) you have recurring game modes like Horde mode, or going all the way back to Counter-Strike introducing round-based squad combat or CTF becoming a mainstay.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
absolutely not.

Maybe in terms of multiplayer game modes, but it wasnt the first.

I would say the most 'influential since Doom' moniker should go to Half Life, and then to the Souls series, because they changed the course of gaming forever.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
We said this about CoD last gen. It lasted a gen and now it seems FPS are going to Hero Shooter. That also died quickly and now battle royal is the new hot thing.

Time will tell what will have a lasting impact

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean mario64
Sf2 literally inventing combos which are used across all genres
Etc

Probably not. You have to wait until well after the fact to make a call on this due to the fact pubg launched last year. If BRs are boring by 2019, it won't mean anything. Hell, you could argue it's the FN train at this point. And if you argue "pubgs why we have fn", then arma 3 mods are most influential because they're why we have PUBG. This goes on indefinitely.

Tl;dr way too early to tell and probably not.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think PUBG has many infleuential traits, but the mode itself will prolly be everywhere this E3.

That is correct, and it didn't even invent Battle Royale as it stands. But the fact that PUBG's crazy success pushed a big player like Epic to "throw" everything else they've got going to push that Battle Royale game, with now GTA, Call Of Duty and Battlfeild all pushing this "new" gamemode as well means it's having an insane impact on the game industry, far bigger than just about anything I can think of right now. Only open world games and 3D platforms post-Mario 64 come to mind as being so relevant and copied to hell and back.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna go with the extreme Sports genre from ps1/ps2. After Tony hawk came out, you had everyone making skateboarding, snowboarding, bmx, and wakeboarding games.

Then they just kind of went away suddenly.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, that honor goes to Ocarina of Time, a game that influenced how many of the best 3D games in nearly every genre ultimately took shape.

PUBG is a game mode.
It does nothing that defies the genre norms aside from the mode.
Yep. What this person said. Spot on
I wouldn't handwave away the thing that defines PUBG and is currently inspiring takes of all kinds on its formula, as though it's irrelevant. BR is how PUBG defied the genre norms, and it obviously had some impact.

That shit is like if I said

Wolfenstein 3D is just a perspective.
It does nothing that defies video game norms aside from the view perspective.
It's a little dismissive, if not totally reductive.

(I'm not comparing PUBG's impact with Wolf 3Ds so zip ya pants back up)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PUBG is a game mode.
It does nothing that defies the genre norms aside from the mode.

absolutely not.

Maybe in terms of multiplayer game modes, but it wasnt the first.

I would say the most 'influential since Doom' moniker should go to Half Life, and then to the Souls series, because they changed the course of gaming forever.

We said this about CoD last gen. It lasted a gen and now it seems FPS are going to Hero Shooter. That also died quickly and now battle royal is the new hot thing.

Time will tell what will have a lasting impact

Please read the OP. I am not stating Battle Royale is the best or most innovative thing ever or that PUBG is so original. I'm just pointing out that its insane numbers pushed developers like Epic, Rockstar, DICE, Treyarch, etc. to dedicate important resources to a "clone" mere months after the genre's explosion.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
In the small realm of multiplayer shooters maybe.
But Mario 64, Ocarina, Dark Souls and many others have fundamentally evolved game design in much more profound ways.

And I don't really define "influential" as "inspired a bunch of copycats looking for a cash grab". Because that list is long as fuck. I do expect BR modes to become more or less standard in the long run so I do agree that PUBG is an important game to some extent, but it's not even close to Doom or the games I listed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dmc has had a way bigger influence on gaming than pubg so far, for example.

Doom was ages ago. We've had so many games that invented core parts of modern gaming since then.

Yeah, but when DMC came out you didn't suddenly have all platform games, RTS games, etc. add a DMC-style gameplay just for the sake of it. What I'm saying in the OP is that PUBG's and Fortnite Battle Royale's success in turn is pushing developers already cashing in BILLIONS to throw most of that away and concentrate on Battle Royale. The zombie craze, the horde craze, the open world craze, etc. didn't suddenly push these companies to completely abandon their roots and do the next big thing, but somehow Battle Royale is doing it.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll continue to see player-created content (mods) mark a significant impact in this industry. The most popular multi-player games in the world have direct origins to mods such as Dota 2, League of Legends, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Team Fortress 2, and now Battle Royale games.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
It's influential in multiplayer space .It made BR multiplayer mode popular to Mass audience .Fortnite BR exist coz of PUBG .

Same way Gears made cover system and wave base horde mode popular to Mass audience. Cover system was used in Killswitch first but Gears made it popular which resulted in we getting Uncharted and many more cover based Third person action games. Gears 2 Horde mode made wave based mode popular which resulted in we getting Firefight and other survival wave based mode.

But none of these games made same impact that Doom made in first person genre abs Mario did in 2d platformer genre.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Please read the OP. I am not stating Battle Royale is the best or most innovative thing ever or that PUBG is so original. I'm just pointing out that its insane numbers pushed developers like Epic, Rockstar, DICE, Treyarch, etc. to dedicate important resources to a "clone" mere months after the genre's explosion.

Its a trend. People push huge amount of money in trends for everything : the mmo trend after WoW success, the gatcha games after Pokemon, the CoDification of all FPSs... the MOBA, then the Hero Shooters...

Editors always tried to copy the big thing and failed. Now it's Battle Royal and it will something new in a few years

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit premature to consider it that influential - let's have this conversation after a few years - for all we know, people will burn out on it and move on to the next big thing.

You could have made the same case about survival mechanics, or leveling up RPG systems that have infiltrated so many games.

edit - we didn't even talk about MMOs! And look at where those are today despite the millions of hours and dollars invested into it.

TailorDKS

Apr 18, 2018
Everything that is completly new, influences other games.

A few years ago every game wanted to jump on the moba hype... And now its the battle royale hype.
You could say battle royale is a big game changer for shooters, but I dont think a lot of games that arent shooters really care about PUBG, except of beeing jealous because its so popular.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too early too call PUBG influential.
Right now we get clones and nothing that really shakes things up.

Right now, Dark Souls has more influential on combat in games, than PUBG has on multiplayer.

And to answer OPs question:
No, between Doom and PUBG we had games like, Mario 64, Half-Life, GTA 3, Halo, WOW, CoD:MW and more.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
If you're only talking about FPS games you could make a case. Even then Halo was hugely influential. And we're not confining discussion to the single genre there's GTA, Mario 64... I'd have to think about others but I'm sure I'm forgetting big ones. Doom's influence is undeniable, but to suggest it remains the single most influential game since it's release is ridiculous. And even having said that, the idea that PUBG is as influential is jumping the gun. Let's see if battle royale games are still as popular a few years from now before comparing it to games that started entire new genres (as Magwik pointed out Battle Royale is a twist on an existing genre) that are still being made decades later. Nice hot take though!

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a trend. People push huge amount of money in trends for everything : the mmo trend after WoW success, the gatcha games after Pokemon, the CoDification of all FPSs... the MOBA, then the Hero Shooters...

Editors always tried to copy the big thing and failed. Now it's Battle Royal and it will something new in a few years

But this time it's different in the sense that totally unrelated games and companies are pushing it. When open world games or Minecraft arrived, you didn't suddenly have everyone from FPS to RTS makers going for those elements. PUBG popularized something that pushed massive companies to completely change their priorities. Call Of Duty going into panic mode and dropping campaign but getting an extra dev to work on a Battle Royale mode? The Division and Dying Light ready to drop a standalone BR mode? Epic almost killing Fortnite PvE they worked on for 5 years (plus Unreal Tournament and Paragon) to continue pushing Battle Royale? I may have selective memory but I have a hard time remembering such an all-in by major players in the industry just to appeal to whatever the latest trend is.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Yeah, but when DMC came out you didn't suddenly have all platform games, RTS games, etc. add a DMC-style gameplay just for the sake of it. What I'm saying in the OP is that PUBG's and Fortnite Battle Royale's success in turn is pushing developers already cashing in BILLIONS to throw most of that away and concentrate on Battle Royale. The zombie craze, the horde craze, the open world craze, etc. didn't suddenly push these companies to completely abandon their roots and do the next big thing, but somehow Battle Royale is doing it.
I think you have a very distorted view of how much people went for GTA, WoW, Medal of Honor for WWII, CoD for modern day shooter, Dota clones and not to mention zombies games.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
But this time it's different in the sense that totally unrelated games and companies are pushing it. When open world games or Minecraft arrived, you didn't suddenly have everyone from FPS to RTS makers going for those elements. PUBG popularized something that pushed massive companies to completely change their priorities. Call Of Duty going into panic mode and dropping campaign but getting an extra dev to work on a Battle Royale mode? The Division and Dying Light ready to drop a standalone BR mode? Epic almost killing Fortnite PvE they worked on for 5 years (plus Unreal Tournament and Paragon) to continue pushing Battle Royale? I may have selective memory but I have a hard time remembering such an all-in by major players in the industry just to appeal to whatever the latest trend is.

I'm not sure I agree with you : editors created ENTIRE games out of nothing to jump on trends : new mmos, new universe for MOBAs, new Gritty FPS to look like COD... Some editor took their licence : MARVEL, DC, and made Diablo or MOBA clones...

Today, EPIC did Fornite, recycling a lot of their tech from... their older game fornite. BF and CoD will have a BR Mode : not a whole game build from the ground up being a BR Game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything that is completly new, influences other games.

A few years ago every game wanted to jump on the moba hype... And now its the battle royale hype.
You could say battle royale is a big game changer for shooters, but I dont think a lot of games that arent shooters really care about PUBG, except of beeing jealous because its so popular.

Too early too call PUBG influential.
Right now we get clones and nothing that really shakes things up.

Right now, Dark Souls has more influential on combat in games, than PUBG has on multiplayer.

And to answer OPs question:
No, between Doom and PUBG we had games like, Mario 64, Half-Life, GTA 3, Halo, WOW, CoD:MW and more.

If you're only talking about FPS games you could make a case. Even then Halo was hugely influential. And we're not confining discussion to the single genre there's GTA, Mario 64... I'd have to think about others but I'm sure I'm forgetting big ones. Doom's influence is undeniable, but to suggest it remains the single most influential game since it's release is ridiculous. And even having said that, the idea that PUBG is as influential is jumping the gun. Let's see if battle royale games are still as popular a few years from now before comparing it to games that started entire new genres (as Magwik pointed out Battle Royale is a twist on an existing genre) that are still being made decades later. Nice hot take though!

But... this isn't really what my OP is about. I don't think Battle Royale will be a big player in the history of videogames, or that it'll be this pushed in a couple years. But there were many trends: zombies, Minecraft blocks, hero shooters, Souls-like combat, Titanfall-esque exo movements, etc. - but I have a hard time thinking of a game that shaped completely unrelated games' entire philosophy in such a short amount of time. Call Of Duty and Battlefield for example were somewhat inspired in the past by other shooter trends, but it's the first time they both go basically all in on a trend, and that trend was started by PUBG. That's what the thread is about, not what is the most important game in history or something.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
When open world games or Minecraft arrived, you didn't suddenly have everyone from FPS to RTS makers going for those elements.

This is completely incorrect. Devs of many different genres absolutely made incorporated open-world elements. There's open-world racing games (Burnout Paradise, Forza Horizon), open-world FPS (FarCry), open-world action games (various super-hero games), and the list goes one.

You have not thought this through.

But... this isn't really what my OP is about. I don't think Battle Royale will be a big player in the history of videogames, or that it'll be this pushed in a couple years. But there were many trends: zombies, Minecraft blocks, hero shooters, Souls-like combat, Titanfall-esque exo movements, etc. - but I have a hard time thinking of a game that shaped completely unrelated games' entire philosophy in such a short amount of time. Call Of Duty and Battlefield for example were somewhat inspired in the past by other shooter trends, but it's the first time they both go basically all in on a trend, and that trend was started by PUBG. That's what the thread is about, not what is the most important game in history or something.

Why compare it to Doom then? Doom actually was truly influential, and is a huge part of gaming history.

How many non-mobile battle royale games are actually in development right now? Have you actually made a list and compared to the number of zombie games that were released in the few years surrounding the release of, say, the original Left for Dead? Or the number of open-world games that were announced after GTA3 blew up? Or are you basically just saying "It sure seems like there's a lot of battle royale stuff happening right now?"

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Since Doom though? No. GTA and Assassin's Creed are more influential. Gears, Uncharted, Call of Duty, Halo, and Far Cry are more influential than many people think.

BR is just a game mode. I don't think it influenced and revolutionized games in terms of game design and genre like Doom. PUBG is still just a shooter.

Also GTA didn't include a BR mode to cash in. GTA Online has countless game modes. It really has more game modes than players who care to play them. I don't think the BR mode was a selling point to cash in. Just for fun.

Also Dying Light doesn't have a BR mode. IIRC, IGN called it BR for clicks.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I don't like the game but I think Minecraft will having a much longer lasting impact over pubg.

Pubg will probably have a bigger impact than league of legends causing people to go moba mad though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is completely incorrect. Devs of many different genres absolutely made incorporated open-world elements. There's open-world racing games (Burnout Paradise, Forza Horizon), open-world FPS (FarCry), open-world action games (various super-hero games), and the list goes one.

You have not thought this through.

To an extent, yes, but it didn't shape the industry so quickly. GTA 3 happened a long fucking time ago, and yet, games like Zelda or Tomb Raider only followed it up fairly recently. PUBG came out 13 months ago and Epic, Rockstar, Raven, DICE, etc. are all on it already, changing up their games almost completely to jump on this trend. "Most influential" perhaps could have been worded differently, but I can't think of a better way to put it: in a mere year, most of the biggest AAA devs are spending insane resources on this craze. Call Of Duty for example incorportated hero shooter or exo elements in the past, but it didn't feel such a decisive element, the core gameplay remained. Rockstar didn't really have to make a Minecraft-clone or put all on a horde mode, but they already have a Battle Royale mode somehow. That's the point I'm trying to make, but I don't think people are grasping it.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I think the word you're looking for is "adoptable" OP. Battle Royale is a such an abstract concept that can be adopted into a variety of game genres. As a game dev, if you can bring your game over to the new hotness without sacrificing the core elements of your existing game, its a less risky chance.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Following a trend to make quick cash != Influence on Games/Genre to come

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
To an extent, yes, but it didn't shape the industry so quickly. GTA 3 happened a long fucking time ago, and yet, games like Zelda or Tomb Raider only followed it up fairly recently. PUBG came out 13 months ago and Epic, Rockstar, Raven, DICE, etc. are all on it already, changing up their games almost completely to jump on this trend. "Most influential" perhaps could have been worded differently, but I can't think of a better way to put it: in a mere year, most of the biggest AAA devs are spending insane resources on this craze. Call Of Duty for example incorportated hero shooter or exo elements in the past, but it didn't feel such a decisive element, the core gameplay remained. Rockstar didn't really have to make a Minecraft-clone or put all on a horde mode, but they already have a Battle Royale mode somehow. That's the point I'm trying to make, but I don't think people are grasping it.

How many open-world games were announced within a year of GTA3's release?

I don't understand what you're getting at with your second sentence. If established IPs were still incorporating BR modes 15 years from now (which seems extremely unlikely) would that make PUBG less influential now?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Following a trend to make quick cash != Influence on Games/Genre to come

Well, it is an influence. Call Of Duty, Dying Light, Battlefield, The Division, etc. are all willing to basically drop their core identity to deliver a Battle Royale game mode ASAP, and this is a mere year after PUBG released. It's a ridiculously fast adoption.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It amazes me how people on this site seem to constantly forget that Minecraft exists.

Well, it is an influence. Call Of Duty, Dying Light, Battlefield, The Division, etc. are all willing to basically drop their core identity to deliver a Battle Royale game mode ASAP, and this is a mere year after PUBG released. It's a ridiculously fast adoption.
How do you know they're 'Dropping their identity'? At best they'll put in a Battle Royale mode, they're not changing the game they are at the core. Cod Is still going to be Cod, just with an additional new mode.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

Yes, games trying to quickly incorporate BR elements to cash in on Fortnite's popularity as being influenced by it (and by extension PUBG), but that's not what people mean when they say "influential," especially with respect to decades-old games like Doom.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many open-world games were announced within a year of GTA3's release?

By the way, I did mention GTA 3 in the OP as a possible candidate along with Super Mario 64, so I'm not arguing it was necessarily less relevant. On the long-term, it was extremely influential, but to me it feels that PUBG is being copied the fastest, and this is in an era in which development takes a long-ass time. 13 months after PUBG came out and we know of GTA, Call Of Duty, Battlefield, Dying Light, The Division (at least its dev), probably Halo (still rumored), Fortnite (by Epic, a historic dev behind gamechangers like Unreal and Gears), Red Dead Redemption 2 (still rumored), etc. on it already. In this day and age it's fucking quick.