• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Rap is the most popular genre of music.

So, no. You just became old and your tastes became stagnant and you cant adapt to new musical styles.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the lowest quality bait. The combination of inflammatory sentences feels too calculated for this to be yet another exercise in special snowflake-ry that this forum seems to thrive in when it comes to hip-hop.

To answer your question, you ding dong dingleberry of a doofus, the answer is obviously no, but if you had spent more than one second thinking about your question, you'd have reached the same conclusion.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Lol at posting some dmx. That's not necessarily a way to influence people and win friends. Especially on era, which has extremely knowledgeable heads on here.

But in a roundabout way I've been saying the same thing. It's just stagnate as fuck on a mainstream level. There's a lot of varied stuff if you look around, I liked Cordae and there's always good shit like Bandana or Megan, but I can't stand most of the top 40 stuff.

Just need a new non-trap sound to break through. Its been long enough. That new Trav Scott got me 😴😴😴😴

Last edited:

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
I don't listen much to this latter part of the decade's rap game, but there's always been terrible songs in each of the last three decades.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes, now please forget it exists and never talk about it again

ot rap threads 🤮

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Is Dad rap a thing? If so you youngbloods gone learn today once someone starts posting some oldman shit 👴

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rap is the most popular genre of music.

So, no. You just became old and your tastes became stagnant and you cant adapt to new musical styles.
Modern sub genres like trap and drill are fundamentally different to "old school" hip-hop though.

It's like saying you have stagnant musical tastes and can't adapt to new styles because you're into rock music but don't like death metal.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
If you can't come out of the hip hop thread with at least 2-3 albums to check out every week, it's on you.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Modern sub genres like trap and drill are fundamentally different to "old school" hip-hop though.

It's like saying you have stagnant musical tastes and can't adapt to new styles because you're into rock music but don't like death metal.
Rock and metal are two completely separate genres.

Of course it's different. Genres evolve. If you're stuck on the style you grew up with you became stagnant.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
It's not dead, but what passes for mainstream these days is largely garbage.

The shit at the top of the hip-hop charts in the 80's, 90's and even early 00's was bangin'.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rock and metal are two completely separate genres.

Of course it's different. Genres evolve. If you're stuck on the style you grew up with you became stagnant.
So you don't agree that the way that modern hip-hop has evolved with mumble rappers, auto tuned vocals, treble heavy beats, you don't think the genre as a whole has changed fundamentally?

We can argue semantics about genres until we're blue in the face, but modern hip-hop (all the trap/drill/mumble bullshit) is COMPLETELY different to old school hip hop and you know it.
Again, whole new genres have formed, and they're not to everyone's taste. It's not a case of "you're an old man who doesn't like change".

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

if by 'have stagnant musical tastes' you mean 'are really lame and boring' then that's pretty much and accurate reflection of my opinion

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
So you don't agree that the way that modern hip-hop has evolved with mumble rappers, auto tuned vocals, treble heavy beats, you don't think the genre as a whole has changed fundamentally?

We can argue semantics about genres until we're blue in the face, but modern hip-hop (all the trap/drill/mumble bullshit) is COMPLETELY different to old school hip hop and you know it.
Again, whole new genres have formed, and they're not to everyone's taste. It's not a case of "you're an old man who doesn't like change".
Music in any genres changes decade to decade. And people get old, become stagnant, cant adapt and start decalring said music genre is now dead because they no longer understand it.

This thread is old man yells at cloud status.

not_smiff

Oct 31, 2017
No but its passe. I'm ready for what's next evolution of music. It's been bastardized and commercialized for decades. The soul is gone. So not dead...but a zombie.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with early 2000s rap?
nothing at all, but compared to the last 15 years or so it was a creative and commercial nadir. i don't get how anyone could look back at the atonality of snap or the nigh-monopolistic mediocrity of 50's reign of terror with G-Unit and think "ah yes, rap music is so much worse than this, i miss Laffy Taffy and The Massacre"

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The main issue I have with the way the genre is going is that a lot of these "artists" coming through are so devoid of any actual talent. It seems so easy to churn this shit out nowadays.

1. Mumble some embarrassing lyrics into a mic and slap em with the auto tune
2. Stick it on top of "Trap Beat #237" that you pulled from Ableton
3. ???
4. Profit

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I mean EVEN if you hate popular rap there is so much music out there that how can you call a genre "dead"?

Everything is available if you're looking for it, cmon dude lmao.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same answer every time: stop listening to the radio. Do some searching. Look at online communities for recommendations. Be a little open to something different.

Hip-hop is better than it's ever been thanks to the internet. No matter what style of rap you're into someone out there is making it. You just need to put a little effort into finding it

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah you killed it with this thread

You're under arrest

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Weirdly, white Brits are still producing some rap in the style of 90s and 2000s stuff. Check out Chris Leese, Dr Syntax, Chris Leese, Skreintax, Leaf Dog.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anyone who asks if rap is dead should be forced to listen to "Who Killed It?" by Nas on repeat til they pull their own toenails out with needlenose pliers

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I'm quite tuned out of hip-hop mainly because the mainstream is so shitty. I could stop being lazy - I know there's a ton of dope artists I won't hear on the radio, but there's a lot of BS to sift through.

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The early 2000s jams will always be there but if you're not willing to acclimate to the new that's on you.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Plenty of good rap out there if you know where to look.

JPEGMAFIA just dropped one of the best albums I've heard in my life

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's funny when people flip on the FM radio, or type "rap music" on YouTube and click the first link, and end up hearing some "mumble rap" and think that is the defining norm of 2019 hiphop standards. Sure, you may have to dive a little deeper and actually pay attention to scene, but you can't deny that some of the most lyrically impressive rap music is still being released with wide appeal.

Not just rap itself, but musically, the instrumentals producers like The Alchemist and Tyler, the Creator are always pushing the envelope of what emcompasses a sound more than "boombap" or "trap". Rap music still very soulful, genuine and raw sounding - you just have to know where to look.

I will admit that the early 2000's had a major shift into a corny "ringtone rap" scene with really weak beats, but everything I've heard in the underground scene since like 2012 has been much more dark, experimental and 808 bass influenced. Artists like Bones, Suicideboys, Danny Brown and The Underachievers are fantastic.

Last edited:

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So we just gonna disrespect my nigga Freddie like that? Like Madlib ain't make a Masterpiece with him? We gonna disrespect my nigga YBN Cordae huh? We gonna disrespect my nigga Denzel Curry? EARTHGANG? Huh? All of Dreamville? Hmm?

Try harder breh.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
i've never liked rap to begin with but i feel like it's getting worse every year honestly. i dont think rap is dead however

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Flatbush Zombies, Cozz, Bas, J Cole, Chance The Rapper, Logicvc, Saba, Audio Push, Russ, Amine, 6lack, Vic Mensa, Jay Rock, Ab Soul, Wale, Big Krit, Isaiah Rashad,.

I could probably snatch more, but all of them generally avoid the mumble, Migos/Young Thug bullshit. They might not all be to your taste, but at least they all rap.