• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Sea of Thieves Metacritic is a 6.6-7.0 now as you can see in the Sea of Thieves review thread:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sea-of-thieves-review-thread.31071/

This game really felt like Rare's last big chance. It was a game they were working on for some time and one of the last "mainline" game for hardcore gamers. While it may be improved with updates over time, as it stands right now it seems to not be so hot.

After this I can't see Microsoft letting them make their own unique IP for this long again. It's a real shame.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Rare had so many final chances according to Era by now that they should be part of square enix and do the next final fantasy

They'll be fine. Like always

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Honest question: does this need to be it's own thread? I think this horse was beaten to death in about 10 others.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're not done, but we know their an average dev now, regardless of the past Kinect stuff. They got to try something new and it looks to be average at best.

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I sincerely think MS gave Rare a chance with SoT to do exactly what they wanted, and gave them loads of money. They didn't deliver.

Don't think they will get another chance on an AAA title. MS won't close them down because it would cause to much negative buzz.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hot takes: the thread of the generation. Seriously people, think before you post. How on earth would a company like Microsoft just up and stop Rare from developing because one game is divisive and not attuned to your tastes? Many on here complain about CoD yet it they are still going strong despite the divided nature.
They're not done, but we know their an average dev now, regardless of the past Kinect stuff. They got to try something new and it looks to be average at best.
As with any media consumed, some may not be so satisfied by something others find enjoyable.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We don't really know how it is selling, but seemingly not totally awful, at the least. And MS is dying for first party studios. They'll get another go at things. But, hopefully they add a ton to SoT. There is a fun base here.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I think they'll be fine if the game is successful commercially, of course. Too early to tell. If not, I sure as hell AM worried. I really don't like the game, but still hope for the best.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Compare the metacritic of Sea of Thieves to their 360 output

Is it really that bad

Why do you care, they're not making Banjo or Blast Corps or some other dumb shit

Oct 25, 2017
Sea of Thieves will likely be financially successful.
Though I guess people can move on from expecting the quality they remember from RARe

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Rare is really just a name... it's a company made up of over a hundred people. Some of them may have been with the company for a long time, but haven't the majority of "original" (or at least golden era) staff left? This isn't specific to Rare, it's positively common place in this industry.

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
If it sells, don't see why it would. That being said, out of all the studios and projects Microsoft closed/cancelled in recent years, from Scalebound, to Phantom Dust Remake, to Fable Legends, Lionhead Studios, etc. Rare/Sea of Thieves would've been the first ones to go. Not that I want to see any of them gone.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
MS is putting all their eggs on online GaaS, this is a fully online game that is on Gamepass together with other coop games.
-Gears 4
-Halo Wars 2
-Sea of thieves
-State of decay 2 and crackdown 3 (soon)
And hopefully forza horizon soon.

If sea of thieves can keep a stable userbase and with that people on the service, then it will be considered a success (asuming they can sell those pets too).

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
UK's industry is really unstable. If you screw up one game you are done. We have seen that with closed studios like Liverpool Studio, Evolution Studios, Lionhead Studios and Guerrilla Cambridge in recent years.

This was by far the most ambitious game Rare has ever created which was said by studio head Craig Duncan.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Did it sale game pass subscriptions?

Did it accomplish what ever purpose ms set out to accomplish?

Only a few people know that answer.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Lol I wonder how all these threads of death and destruction will look 6 months to year from now. Yeah the game needs work but the death of Rare? Come on.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
it seems to be selling pretty fine. I hope they just improve on the game. Looks fun from what I've seen my roommates play.

Ole No Bones

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sea of thieves is a very cool game and MS would be stupid to give up on it. Rate needs to double down and flood SOT with content

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
SoT nature as a service based game requires its ongoing support, for at least some considerable amount of time. Rare will stick around at least that long. And with some updates, the narrative around the game could change significantly.

So, we'll see.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Even if Microsoft was not going to let them make another game of their own, they would use them to produce something useful. That's what they were doing before.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Hot takes: the thread of the generation. Seriously people, think before you post. How on earth would a company like Microsoft just up and stop Rare from developing because one game is divisive and not attuned to your tastes? Many on here complain about CoD yet it they are still going strong despite the divided nature.

They up and stop them because they are not profitable. Microsoft is a business not a charity case catering to message board fanboys who they want to save face from. Rare has been absolute dead weight since the majority of their 15 years of their ownership and this is likely to further prove they are not a financially viable studio. Better studios have been shut down. It's not unrealistic at all.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
SoT is completely salvageable. As long as MS gives Rare a chance and doesn't do anything crazy, they will be fine. I'd actually be upset if this is what does them in.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
If they plan to make this game a games as a service product it's just beginning. It's not free, but it is sort of so they can turn it around, but they have to hurry. SOT can become pretty huge, they have the foundation. They may need to tighten up the combat a bit.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
If it sells well and keeps a community I would think they'd consider the game a success. If it doesn't I'd think Rare would still get another chance or two.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
sea of thieves has another 6-18 months to "perform". for what it is it seems to be doing okay so far

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much Xbox live and Game Pass did this sell? At least for Game Pass, probably a good amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.