• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Tsushima and RE3 is kinda the last big game on my backlog which I will play sooner or later but I have been hearing bad things about it, so I might wait for even bigger price drop.

Is it really worse than RE2?
I have heard everything from basically no content, no replayability to cut pieces from the OG one.

How is it?
Worth $30?

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Think the issue was that you paid full price for a 4-5 h game, but someone could correct me. Still haven't bought it myself yet,

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
RE3 Remake is to RE2 Remake as RE3 was to RE2.

It's worth $30. People shit on it because it's short and is less replayable and wasn't "tweaked" as much as RE2 Remake was. When comparing the two on an entertainment per dollar metric, RE2 wins. RE3 is still worth playing though, and if you prefer action-oriented RE vs. survival-oriented you may even enjoy RE3 more.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It was not worth full price.

Short and half-assed remake with a bad MP mode.

$20-30 is a fair price, keep in mind it's a 5-6 hours story.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It's good, just not as good as REmake 2 or what could have been.

It's still a pretty good RE game.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I mean RE3 was never as good as RE2. That was true 20 years ago. The remake just doesn't have the hooks that made the last one so interesting, but that's kinda the fault of the foundation they built the game on. They just didn't add anything meaningful to make it more compelling, and Nemesis didn't live up to the encounters with Mr. X.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Its fine. It makes compromises that were not present in the RE2 remake which were disappointing. Good but could have been better.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
As a fan of neither of the originals, I enjoyed 2 remake much more than 3. It was my goty last year. 3 was still fun though and I played it enough to get all the achievements.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's fine. It's a decent game if a poor remake of the original. I'd say it's worth $30 if you have nothing else to play.
Just go into it expecting more of a revelations game rather than something like RE2. So more linear and more action focused.
Easy Platinum is the main replayability SP wise.

Resistamce is cool too if you fancy any 4v1 MP

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Its very poor indeed compared to RE2make.
Lesser in every way.

That said, it isn't a bad game, just middling.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
It's a tightly paced action-horror game with very good gameplay, setpieces and combat. It's short but sweet and highly repayable imo.
It's just not a very good Remake.

So the reactions were both justified and a bit exaggerated.

Worth it for 30 bucks imo.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
It's really good, just a bit short.

The Internet has this way of magnifying both praise and dislike, so everything seems to get slotted into being either 'The best game ever' or 'A miserable pile of shit'.

It's not as good as RE2, but still well worth playing.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's a thing that happened alright. Just super short, chopped down, feels like it literally comes and goes like nothing. Thought RE2 remake was pretty great.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Better than 2 for me since it had way more replay value. An awesome ride. I put in 60 hours vs. ~10 for Remake 2.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
as someone that played through it 3 times - its a good game, but its way too short. you can really feel the amount of missed opportunities too, even without knowing the stuff missing that was present in the original

also an extra mode like mercs wouldve helped a lot but we got resistance instead, which ehh

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
It's great, it's really good to play. Jill is incredible, such as pleasure to hear her trash talk Nemesis and other zombies, she's really really great.
Yeah the problem for most is that the game is really short, but I mean, it's part of the franchise, short games you can finish in one hour when speedrunned. Like other RE games, it's highly replayable.

A valid criticism though is how much moments from the base game isn't there.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
It is worth $30, sure. I paid the full $60 and I'm fine with that, as an RE fan.

But the game is a disappointment. It doesn't reach the highs of last year's RE2 remake. Not even close, really. It's not entirely survival horror, nor is it entirely action horror. It just inhabits a strange middle ground where the game feels like it doesn't want to commit. It's not as strong as the RE1 or 2 remakes, nor RE4, which are all very focused, and very good at what they set out to do. I would describe RE3R as more of a setpiece-driven action romp that ends up being just alright by the end. Funny thing is, the best part of the game is actually a Carlos level, not a Jill one, in my opinion.

That's not even going into the other things, like asset reuse (every zombie model, sound effect, and animation recycled from RE2R), linearity, small play areas, cut content in general, and the fact that they omitted Mercenaries in favor of Resident Evil Resistance.

Go in with tempered expectations, and you'll be OK.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played the original three RE titles, never will likely but I think most consider RE3 to be a bad remake but a good game that's really short compared to 2. I kinda agree, though I'll say I have more fun replaying it than 2 at least.

Nemesis isn't intimidating like Mr. X especially since I know I can get rewards from him if I knock him down.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't find it bad but I wouldn't say it was great either, the Nemesis sections in particular I just found annoying

I played it through once and it's barely crossed my mind again since

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
it's a poor remake of RE3 and loses a lot of what made the original special, it's also a less ambitious and disappointing follow up to REmake 2.

Nemesis is barely in the game and isn't really a stalker like Mr X, entire key areas from the original are cut, and Raccoon City's streets are about the size of the demo so it's a let down in a lot of respects.

That said, despite being very short and having those problems, it doesn't play badly. I also love Jill, she's easily the best version of the character and has some amazing lines. If you can find it cheap go for it but I don't hold it in too high of a regard

Oct 27, 2017
It's the least convincing remake of the original trilogy, sacrificing too much in terms of notable locations and the threat/impact of Nemesis.

However it's a really sharp (but short) slice of Resident Evil action. I played it 4 times in quick succession and had a blast each time. Resident Evil 2 dropped to about £15 during last years winter sales on PC I believe, and at that price RE3 is a really easy sell.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
It's not bad, it's just not a lot of content for the asking price and has some areas flat out missing which I guess people (myself included) were looking forward to. Worth $30 if you like to replay games.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. Replayed it 6 times and I never do that, but it had me craving for more and the game is designed to support multiple playthroughs.
Some people think it's a bad remake as it supposedly leaves out a lot of content form the original (I haven't played the original yet), but for my money it's a lot of fun.

It's no RE2 (more action, less puzzle), but it's great, worth full price imo.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, and here's a potential hot take: Jill was cringe in this game. They leaned too far into "badass" caricature, and forgot to showcase some of her other sides. I liked Claire so much in RE2R precisely because it's not just her (obligatory) badass side that you see: it's also her warm interactions with Leon and Sherry, and her caring compassion. Jill has always been a one-dimensional character and the least interesting RE protag imo, and I wanted badly for RE3R to change that perception for me, but it didn't. I think they did a much better job with the characterizations of Leon, Claire, and Carlos.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
It's a great game but it definitely feels like it could have been even better with an extra area or two. I never liked the original RE3 that much however so I appreciate my opinion may be slightly out of step with others here.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I really enjoyed it. Wish it had been longer but that's pretty much my only complaint.

Oct 25, 2017
It's great.

The amount of vitriol it gets here really is uncalled for. It's a weaker game than REmake 2 and it's a much looser remake, and deserves criticism on those grounds, but taken by itself it's a solid RE game. I think it complements REmake 2 well as a more action-focused game in the same engine.

I paid £50 day one digitally and have no regrets. It's absolutely worth $30.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
It's totally fine, but it's not a remake inasmuch a near-total reimagining. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but it absolutely wasn't worth $60. Way too short, and over-reliant on scripted sequences and ultra-linear levels. RE: Resistance was a half-baked (and barely functional at launch) mode that screams "made to justify the cost of the game".

If you find it for $30 or less, it's a gimme for sure.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
It's an awesome game that Capcom just made some weird decisions with. I really don't get why they did some things but I enjoyed my time playing through the story mode.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
It's not as good as RE2 but I liked it quite a bit. It's good, schlocky fun with a couple of really amazing action sequences. Worth 30 bucks for sure.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I enjoyed it - it's short but well-paced and Jill and Carlos are wonderfully written and acted. It's a shame it's been abandoned for the RE4 Remake instead of getting Mercenaries or some other DLC.

I really wish we could be getting a CV remake followed by a whole new game about the fall of Umbrella. That's what should happen before RE4 Remake.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it.

I also wish it had included the clock tower level.

RE2 remake was better, but I found RE3 remake enjoyable.