• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
No.

Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Gene Hackman, etc.

Look up real popular Hollywood actors, ones in the hall of fame, etc.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'd say Tom Cruise is but SLJ is in the top 5 most recognizable stars.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Michael Jordan should count because of Space Jam, in which case the answer is no

JackFrost

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
How about Leo? Maybe just one of the most respected, if not popular? Same for Daniel Day Lewis?

Brad Pitt? Just spitballin.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What about Shia Lebeouf

giphy.gif

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread isn't that far off base. I'd say it's probably Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, or Tom Hanks? Jackson is probably top 5 or top 10 for sure, though.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. Everyone knows who he is, the man is in everything from action films to comedies and thrillers and even commercials.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
No.

Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Gene Hackman, etc.

Look up real popular Hollywood actors, ones in the hall of fame, etc.
I'm almost 100% confident more people know who Sam Jackson is in the US and internationally than Gene Hackman. I'd also go out on a limb by stating that internationally Sam Jackson might also edge out De Niro and Al Pacino as well. Millenials and Gen Z have seen Sam Jackson in many big contemporary hits.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to quantify who is the "most" famous. I would say sitting here, in 2018, he's certainly one of the most well known actors worldwide. But so are people like Tom Cruise, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, Harrison Ford, Will Smith, The Rock, and basically anyone who is a Marvel Superhero now -- especially RDJ, Chris Pratt, Chris Evans, and Chris Hemsworth.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Cruise I think is number one.

I'd say SLJ is in the top ten though.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
not the most, but, like Whoopi Goldberg, I think his name and face are probably recognised world wide and probably in the top 50 most recognised human beings.

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
How exactly are you measuring fame? Number of films? Reach? How recognisable he is?

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sam Jackson is a great actor but was he ever the lead role in a big franchise? All the big movies he is in he was more of a supporting actor.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I agree with OP. Sam's been in more movies than any actor mentioned in this thread. Everyone around the world from every age, background and demographic has seen a movie with him in it at some point in their lives. He is instantly recognisable, popping up in every genre imaginable. When aliens visit our planet, he will be our ambassador and promptly tell them to fuck whoever gave birth to them. He is the most famous actor on Earth.

Lock this thread already, there's nothing left to discuss.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Sam jackson is more famous than gene hackman.
I'm almost 100% confident more people know who Sam Jackson is in the US and internationally than Gene Hackman. I'd also go out on a limb by stating that internationally Sam Jackson might also edge out De Niro and Al Pacino as well. Millenials and Gen Z have seen Sam Jackson in many big contemporary hits.
I actually laughed when I read "Gene Hackman" haha.
What...*checks username* Oh, just a cybersai post.

Anyone who doesn't know who Gene Hackman is must be a young Gen Z person or someone who really doesn't watch much cinema. And no I'm not referring to Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor here, I'm referring to Gene's iconic movies like "The Poseidon Adventure" "The French Connection 1 and 2" "The Conversation, "The Scarecrow" "The Birdcage" "Under Fire" "Hoosiers" "BAT 21" "Mississipi Burning," "Crimson Tide" "Enemy of the State"etc

Just look at his rotten page:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/gene_hackman/

Gene Hackman was in tons of critically acclaimed movies.

Oct 26, 2017
Being critically acclaimed doesn't necessarily mean you're recognisable. I mean do you honestly believe lots of people could tell you who Daniel Day Lewis is?

Last edited: