• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
I enjoyed the first two games since they felt like Uncharted but even better gunplay wise, but looks like with this chapter they moved more towards the open world style with side quests and more puzzles, is that really the case or if i want i can skip them and have fun following the linear main story?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the first two games since they felt like Uncharted but even better gunplay wise, but looks like with this chapter they moved more towards the open world style with side quests and more puzzles, is that really the case or if i want i can skip them and have fun following the linear main story?
It's clearly worse than the last two TR games imho. But if you have time and like these games, yeah, give it a shot. It's okay-ish.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. found it just as enjoyable as the other two. btw if you have an Xbox its on Game Pass, so its cheap to checkout if you can.

and yeah you can skip the side stuff and it will be a more linear experience.

edit: i beat the main story in about 9hrs by skipping everything else.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll echo the question but from the perspective of someone who generally enjoyed the 2013 reboot (but had some reservations) and thought Rise was a complete mess, doubling down on everything that was poor in the reboot.

I'm tempted by Shadow as it's popping up cheap now, but I suspect it's more of the same as the first two? I might be wrong though.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I played a third of It this weekend (Thanks Game Pass) and Im enjoying It. Finding way better than Rise (which I really didnt like)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's the most beautiful Tomb Raider game by a long way.

But it's the worst of the current trilogy. There was very little in the way of combat, but had an absolute ton of the ledge climbing stuff that typically plagues the Uncharted series. Basically all the "oh look at the fancy graphics" nonsense whilst you climb along ledges but with no actual gameplay challenge.

That said, I still enjoyed it and it's definitely worth playing if you're asking because you are a Game Pass subscriber. But I kind of wish I hadn't paid ÂŁ40 for it - for ÂŁ20, or as part of Game Pass though, I'd be sure to recommend a play through.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the first two and was really looking forward to Shadow, but it is pretty boring. I was about 3-4 hours in before I put it down because it just felt like a chore to play. Looks great on the One X though! I'm sure I'll go back and finish it someday. Maybe.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Absolutely. If you enjoyed TR2013 and Rise, Shadow is certainly worth it. They improved the combat (by making it more about stealth and less about heavy combat with machine guns) as well as adding cool ways to kill enemies from trees and water. The underwater segments are great too, and the biggest improvements are the tombs.

It's not open world, just like Rise Shadow has a kind of hub world. You don't have to do everything there if you don't want to. I thought some of the side missions were kind of dull, even if I learned a little bit more about the story from them. Rise is still the favourite for me, even if I didn't like the combat that much, mainly because of the environments. The jungle in Shadow is impressive, but I got bored of it after a while.

Oct 27, 2017
It seems to be pretty divisive honestly, I enjoyed it but not as much as the previous two, largely because I really likes the combat improvements they made but you barely get to use them. It felt like The Order in that regard, cool new tricks but extremely limited places to try them out.

It felt smaller in scale in some ways to, I can't really put my finger on why. A lot of the elements that made the recent games good were there, even turned up to be more focused on exploration and puzzles which was nice, but the actual story was pretty cool in theory but kind of bland in execution.

If you like these games, it's definitely worth playing to finish out the trilogy at least. That's some good moments to it.

Noobiwan

Dec 17, 2017
Imo it's much better than the other two games, the setting is much more enjoyable and fits better with the whole exploration/puzzle theme, which is also much more prevalent than before. Give it a go although the first hour isn't really representative for the whole game.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Graphics are really nice but other than that the game is immensely forgettable and the story is very stupid.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Absolutely. The level design and exploration is great, and if you turn off the platforming hints, it offers something really unique in the genre.

Oct 27, 2017
It's the most beautiful Tomb Raider game by a long way.

But it's the worst of the current trilogy. There was very little in the way of combat, but had an absolute ton of the ledge climbing stuff that typically plagues the Uncharted series. Basically all the "oh look at the fancy graphics" nonsense whilst you climb along ledges but with no actual gameplay challenge.

This sounds better to me, one of my issues with Rise was the amount of piss poor combat I had to engage in. Far too much and it was all rubbish, so less of that sounds promising. I'm fine with automated ledge clambering, doesn't bother me. Less combat made Uncharted 4 a better game for me too.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
It's worth, some critics were way too harsh for some reason.

More explorations and climbing > Rise shooty shooty gameplay

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it recently and thought it was better than Rise but not as good as TR 2013.

The first in this trilogy was the best for me by a very large margin.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
It's just so by the numbers one of those games. It elicited absolutely zero reaction out of me, which is arguably more damning than being straight up bad.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's ok. The graphics are incredible but I thought overall it was a little boring especially compared to 2013.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Not unless you have nothing else in your backlog to play. It was even more boring than Rise of the Tomb Raider.

It's just so by the numbers one of those games. It elicited absolutely zero reaction out of me, which is arguably more damning than being straight up bad.

Yes. This exactly. No reaction from me, and I'll forget it entirely soon enough.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Felt like a trimmed down version of Rise, with a similarly guff story but interesting puzzles and environments. I'd say go for it if you liked the previous 2. I might go as far and say it enjoyed it the most of all 3.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Its the worst of the three. But its still a good game. The story was just a bit "out there" and the tone was nowhere near as good as the other two games IMHO. Though I think I'm firmly in the "rise" camp - that was a superb game IMHO and looking at the three as a whole is the outlier more than shadow in many ways.

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly couldn't buy in after Lara kills a city full of people in the opening chapter by initiating an apocalypse after removing a relic from its place. Moments later, she even witnesses a kid jump to his death shortly before climbing on top of a roof top but is to busy whining about how the bad guys got away with said relic rather than show any remorse. It was surreal.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I got hella bored in RotTR and quit about 4 hours in. Really liking Shadow tho, would highly recommend.

Graphically great and just fun to explore. Nothing too complex tho.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i cant understand people saying its the worst of the trilogy. The improved focus on exploring and puzzles is exactly what i want from tomb raider. Quicktime event cutscene shooter TR 2013 is a travesty and easily the worst from the modern trilogy

Still probably around 30-40ish % of SotTR but really enjoying it. It doubled down on what Rise did better than TR 2013 which is great in my book. Also the increased mobility and customizable difficulty are great to make the game as hard as i want (which is dont spoil me puzzle solutions but also dont make enemies bulletsponges that take years to kill)

Oct 25, 2017
It's very uneven and the story is lame even by Tomb Raider standards but it does some of the best exploration and tombs in the series. The combat is also fantastic but the game barely has any set-pieces or combat arenas.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Yes, best in the recent trilogy imo. The reduced focus on combat encounters while at the same time going for a lot more exploration/tombs/puzzles did wonders for me.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7.5/10 worth.

I only don't like it because I found Lara is a super boring character, and story also dumdum beyond believe.

CosmicSea

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
i cant understand people saying its the worst of the trilogy. The improved focus on exploring and puzzles is exactly what i want from tomb raider. Quicktime event cutscene shooter TR 2013 is a travesty and easily the worst from the modern trilogy
Not everyone wants what you want..I was not a fan of the trilogy anyway though.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I didn't enjoy second one and HATED Shadow. If you liked Rise, you''ll have fun with this.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the best tomb design the series has ever seen. Just brilliant stuff. It tries very hard to backpedal on the odd direction TR2013 took the series in, instead focusing on exploration, puzzle solving, and occasional combat, with some nice design callbacks to Underworld. Mechanically very nice.

I personally think the game suffers from very weak writing, and it becomes weaker and weaker towards the end of the game. Writing-wise, even Rise of the Tomb Raider fared better, and that's saying something. Key aspects of Lara's character arc feel bizarre and... unearned. Like, she doesn't feel like a real person as they desperately try to turn her into this blubbering emotionally shattered creature that doesn't know what to do with her life.

It's a shame because the game's actors are kinda decent. The themes the plot tosses around are interesting. But gosh, they're so clumsily executed. Even that one scene with Lara and the fire where she starts murdering people felt like a callback to Lara in Underworld when her mansion is on fire and she's in a murderous mood. But it falls so unbelievably flat in Shadow.

Shadow is an example of a game that needed a complete story rewrite. Imagine if FFXV had reached release but instead of the total mess we got, it was an even bigger total mess where every character was Jared.

What's really painful is the live action Tomb Raider movie that came out a year or so ago provided a formula for making the somewhat wonky "nu-Lara" work as a character. Come to terms with her missing father, and the loss of her father. Confront Trinity. Shadow just farts it up the wall. A lot of nifty ideas mechanically, but... okay, I'm gonna be blunt here.

Remember how Thief 2014 was pretty badly written? How the ending felt bizarre and disjointed? Well, Shadow of the Tomb Raider makes Thief 2014 seem amazing, coherent, and emotionally vibrant in retrospect. And that is bizarre to reflect upon.

Long story short, the game itself is pretty good. Mechanically and puzzle-wise it's got some awesome stuff going on. But the plot, the writing... something went really, really wrong.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's the worst of the three by a good margin IMO. I only really like the first one, though, so if you enjoyed 2, you may like this one well enough. If you have the time and don't mind spending the money, go for it.

The tombs are much better than 1, though. Just the story and encounters felt wack

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It's fun. The scenario is plain WTF though. And many scenes felt disconnected from each other.

Like a cinematic shows a moment of somewhat calm who ends by Lara going off-screen, and the gameplay scene just after, without warning or explanation, throws you in a post-apocalyptic run for your life. The run is fun, but you have no idea how you ended up there. Like if the devs had cut some transitions scenes for some reason.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
No. Do something wothwhile with your time like planting a tree or something; or play a game that is worth your time like RE2Make, The Messenger, Celeste, Monster Boy (I could keep going for hours). So my adive is: No, just no.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm playing through it right now since it was free on Gamepass. Maybe 10 or so hours in.

Feels like a step down from the first two and I'm not quite sure why. Even visually the game looks... off. Especially Lara. Really bothering me. I'd go as far as to say it looks worse than the previous entries. I'm still having fun nevertheless, however. Just feels a bit weird.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Played for about 4-5 hours then couldn't continue. Lara's wooden personality is intolerable this time around.

yaffi

Oct 28, 2017
Put around 35 hours into the game up to now and I enjoyed it. I liked the other two as well.

Nov 1, 2017
I honestly couldn't buy in after Lara kills a city full of people in the opening chapter by initiating an apocalypse after removing a relic from its place. Moments later, she even witnesses a kid jump to his death shortly before climbing on top of a roof top but is to busy whining about how the bad guys got away with said relic rather than show any remorse. It was surreal.

My reaction as well. I played the game to completion to see if there's any kind of redemption for her character.

There is not.