• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this video and thought it makes some good points about how Sony has been treating the MediEvil remaster.

The game is supposed to come out in two months, and so far marketing has been little to non-existent. Hell, there was a playable demo at Game XP in Brazil that showed off the improved framerate compared to the E3 trailers, and it got no coverage. On top of that, Sony has chosen to release it on the same day as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - otherwise known as the one series you never try to compete against under any circumstances.

I'm sure the game will be good for what it is. It seems like the people at Other Ocean have really put a lot of love into it, but with how poorly Sony's been pushing the game, I'm expecting it to be another Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.

Well, if it fails, it'll at least give me an excuse to post this in the |OT|

Oct 25, 2017
Still seems early to ramp up the marketing and it's just a remake of an old ass game, so I'm not sure they're gonna spend big bucks promoting it. Will non-fans even like the game?

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly? I feel this remake is made purely for the fans of the original who wanted it to be the same game but better graphics.
That's it. I highly doubt they are even considering it to be anything more than that. Spyro or Crash revival, this is not.

I also don't see how MW will be a competitor. Both games are way different from each other to make someone decide to get one over the other. It will be sold to two different kind of players.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
These days Sony seem to just go all in on marketing their huge games and just not bother with anything else.....I guess marketing budgets are a thing,I'm no expert though.
Still,if it's between another COD and MediEvil......Sir Dan has my vote.

As we've seen with crash and spyro, the game is exclusively made just to revive a ps1 classic. They have no intention of reviving the IP.

Despite spyro and crash being so successful, no one has made any word on a new game yet outside of the remasters.

I'm okay with not getting sequels at this point. I'm actually enjoying fresh IPs

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a mid-tier title. It's not gonna get any sort of major push. It's coming out for Halloween, which regardless of competition makes sense for the game.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
It's not exactly a high profile game.
Yea, people need to put things in context. In the grand scheme of things, something like this is mostly for the hardcore fans and the investment is like 1/10th or lesser of what they would have spent on their big budget efforts so they are not going to spend a lot on marketing. To them this is an indie game.

May 17, 2018
They literally posted an entire BTS video on the game yesterday. It's a passion project. They know it won't light up the charts.

Zippro

May 20, 2018
This is for such a niche audience that's already hyper-focused on it and it won't need any marketing until a few weeks before release. Its audience likely doesn't share a large crossover with Call of Duty either. It's not going to do gangbusters, it's just going to get its job done and go home. There is no reason to worry about it succeeding or failing tbh.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
And for the record, I would rather buy four copies of this full price than buy MW for the cheapest price they can give me.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Medieval, it's not a great game in the first place, marketing it as such to new people will only bring backlash with people complaining.

It's just for the fans.

And even if they gave this an enormous push it still wouldn't generate much more sales than it's going to get.

OP
OP
Winston1

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a $30 niche title

I'm not sure what marketing anyone could reasonably expect for it
Well, as the guy in the video says, they could've at least created an official Twitter account for the game and posted videos of someone playing certain sections like Activision did for the Spyro and Crash remasters.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
that's one of the reason I'm so mad it's not including the second game: this will tank hard and we'll be left with 2 remakes of the first game and no remake at all for M2

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
its a low-med budget game they are trying to resell after the successes of remakes like Spyro and Crash. This isn't in the same category of their top selling IP's on their platform unfortunately.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Medievil is not crash or spyro. It's much more focused on a very,very niche audience.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I was thinking this earlier as well. Not only are they sending it out with little to no marketing, they're not investing into remaking both the first game and the sequel, probably to "test the waters" with the first game's remake only, but they don't price it as such. $40 for ONE PS1 game is a bit hard to swallow after the Crash and Spyro trilogies and CTR+Nitro Kart.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
It's a pretty low-budget project by Sony's first-party standards, so a low-key marketing trail isn't exactly out of the norm. At the same time, I think there's a genuine debate to be had regarding Sony's treatment of its legacy this gen, from the lack of backwards compatibility on the PS4 to the zero effort put into the PlayStation Classic.

I'm a bit worried that the MediEvil remake is going to flop, which will further dissuade Sony from reviving some of their other long-dormant IPs like Ape Escape and Jak & Daxter, both of which are examples of what I believe could be successful comeback stories were they to return under the right circumstances.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Remake of an old game. More like a passion project for fans in hopes that it brings some newcomers but was never a big umbrella title.

OP
OP
Winston1

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking this earlier as well. Not only are they sending it out with little to no marketing, they're not investing into remaking both the first game and the sequel, probably to "test the waters" with the first game's remake only, but they don't price it as such. $40 for ONE PS1 game is a bit hard to swallow after the Crash and Spyro trilogies and CTR+Nitro Kart.
The game is actually priced at $30, which sounds about right.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I'm getting this Day 1 but I don't think it matters when Sony releases this. They are doing this for the hardcore fans who have asked for it. This isn't going to be a massive seller regardless of when it releases.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MediEvil was my first PS1 game which my mom got me with the console. It will forever be special to me. So obviously I'm going to buy the Remake.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
There are ads popping up in game stores and they've just put out a new video. And on top of that, it's still two months away. Give it time. It's not a AAA megagame, it's not gonna get AAA marketing. I've got a few friends who are a little bit in the know on this and based on the amount of ass Sony's actually put behind this, I would be shocked if they were sending it out to "die" in that way.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
So the guy in the video compared the promotion of this to Crash/Spyro in that Acvitision was sharing character trailers, gameplay snippets and images on a bi-weekly basis, but that's hardly a fair comparison since both of those releases had 3 games' worth of content to share, and MediEvil is only one game that at one point looked significantly worse, had some frame rate issues and needed a lot more polish before really putting it out into the public eye.

It's a budget game, and is there purely as fan-service. They have started to promote it some more recently, and you'll definitely see more trailers and a PlayStation Underground gameplay walkthrough in the couple of weeks before launch. It also releases in the run up to Halloween, so pretty easy for Sony to tie in promotions around that.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
People are way too invested in the deeper meaning here.

It's a remake of a niche PS1 game. They're not looking for it to be a high profile game like Spider Man or something. If you're a content creator on YouTube and looking to jump on this bandwagon for your next video on your gaming channel, consider a different topic please.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No? It's a $30 remaster for old fans.

Although I wouldn't release it in the same month as Concrete Genie, I would get it day 1 but now I will have to wait.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
As we've seen with crash and spyro, the game is exclusively made just to revive a ps1 classic. They have no intention of reviving the IP.

Despite spyro and crash being so successful, no one has made any word on a new game yet outside of the remasters.

I'm okay with not getting sequels at this point. I'm actually enjoying fresh IPs

Activision said recently that it plans to make new original Crash and Spyro games

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
comparing Medievil - a game that didn't set the sales charts on fire even during the ps1 days to Crash and Spyro, one of the most successfull and well known platformers in playstations history, is a little bit of a stretch.

With Crash and Spyro it was clear, that those games would do really well, given the huge fanbase and demand behind them (Crash still dominating the PS Classic charts during the PS3 Days)

Medievil on the other hand is just a fanproject that Sonys throws out to see if the IP has any future without risking losing money

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Considering they didn't fix any of the glaring issues in the original game, I doubt Sony expects it to light the world on fire. It'll likely get pretty mixed reviews

Last edited: