• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Asterisk is that I am including only the default version of a boss, not a hard mode version. So stuff like the Hard Mode version of Lord Fredrik (DKCTF final boss) wouldn't be included, just the regular fight against him. But unlockable previously unseen bosses would be included. I'm not including boss rushes, either.

(This is just my own arbitrary criteria, of course.)

KamekKerfuffle.png

The final secret level of YCW is a battle against Kamek, over four rounds, aka Kamek Kerfuffle.

1200px-YCW_Kamek_Baby_Bowser.png

Each of the first three rounds is a redux of an earlier battle with a twist. Pieces of the floor are falling the entire time. Also, everything is happening more frenetically and quickly. If you fall, you die instantly. Restart. There are no additional hearts between rounds. You get hit 3x, you're done for.

The first round is a souped-up version of the Tin-Can Condor, the second is a spin on the Gator Train, then one round against Kamek's version of the Baby Bowser robot (the regular final boss of the game.) Then a final round as the Go-Go Yoshi-Bot, which earlier in the game represented one of the most difficult levels to 100% in a Nintendo game in a long time, with its request for pin-perfect precision for a top score. The same level of precision is required to land the final hits against Kamek, who appears to be wearing a Labo vest of some kind (and Labo is also referenced in the secret costumes in the game).

Anyway, the level took me hundreds of tries to beat. It felt great to finally beat it. The robo section at the end requires a good bit of rhythm and as someone who has none, I found that especially tricky. Over the course of all these tries, I got a lot more comfortable with the initial rounds, but compared to first trying them, and to the other boss levels in this and most other 2D Nintendo games, I felt like this represented a real challenge.

Also, if you felt like this was too easy, there are challenges to complete:
  • Clear by 2:50.00.
  • Clear without taking any damage.
  • Clear without causing any platforms to fall.
I struggled for a while to beat the Baby Bowser boss challenges so I won't be taking these on anytime soon or possibly ever. Clear without causing platforms to fall seems especially dastardly, and the time challenge is probably obscenely tough.

Anyone else feel like this was an especially hard boss? What other uber-tough 2D Nintendo bosses come to mind for you, especially sidescrollers?

(Another really hard level in this game is the one with the unbeatable Killer Clowns chasing you. If you're finding the game too easy, just go for 100%, it is plenty hard in a lot of these levels.)

YCW_Killer_Clown.png

1600px-YoshiCraftedWorld_-_PoochyPups.png

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It's definitely a challenging boss, still for the most part more than manageable.

As you said, the game in general is difficult to 100%, that's what a lot of people seem to forget about Yoshi games.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is generally super hard to 100%. It's harder than the recent DK games, and the Bowser and Kamek boss fights in the challenges modes are especially hard. Took me a few hours to beat Bowser and another few hours for Kamek.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the game, but I'd honestly be surprised if it were harder than the Diggernaut, Metroid Queen, and Ridley from Samus Returns. Samus Returns In general was pretty rough.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a challenging boss, still for the most part more than manageable.

As you said, the game in general is difficult to 100%, that's what a lot of people seem to forget about Yoshi games.

It does seem like people forget that. It's surprising to me to see the reviews criticize things that are lauded in other games. Like the criticism of "Its most interesting ideas never evolve past their first introductions and are frequently confined to one or two levels" ...Personally I felt like it was Mario Galaxy-esque in its fresh new ideas at every turn, and gimmicks only being used in 1-2 levels to avoid overuse and promote freshness. :/

Can't please everyone I guess but I feel like people really missed out on a gem here. (And with YWW. And KEY. Basically I love Good Feel games. Despite being disappointed with the OST herein, I thought it was still a wonderful game.)

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the game, but I'd honestly be surprised if it were harder than the Diggernaut, Metroid Queen, and Ridley from Samus Returns.

Oh, I have only played the original. That sounds like some high praise for the remake, though. (Unless it's not a fun kind of hard.)

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I have only played the original. That sounds like some high praise for the remake, though. (Unless it's not a fun kind of hard.)
They're very akin to Prime 2's boss fights: High damage, very pattern-based gameplay. Diggernaut is a puzzle boss and so a lot of people get stuck on one of the ending parts because it's tricky figuring out what to do, while Ridley is just an absurd endurance match due to his high health pool. Game in general is a lot of fun.

I'd say they're some of the toughest 2D Metroid bosses in a normal run, only rivaled by NES Metroid Mother Brain.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Part of what made Kamek's final form so tough for me was how I didn't always feel my inputs would result in punches on a reliable basis, meaning I'd take damage from a shot every so often. Very frustrating when trying to do a no-damage run.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It does seem like people forget that. It's surprising to me to see the reviews criticize things that are lauded in other games. Like the criticism of "Its most interesting ideas never evolve past their first introductions and are frequently confined to one or two levels" ...Personally I felt like it was Mario Galaxy-esque in its fresh new ideas at every turn, and gimmicks only being used in 1-2 levels to avoid overuse and promote freshness. :/

Can't please everyone I guess but I feel like people really missed out on a gem here. (And with YWW. And KEY. Basically I love Good Feel games. Despite being disappointed with the OST herein, I thought it was still a wonderful game.)
Exactly! There were so many different ideas in this game, I was seriously impressed. Put a solid 25 hours into the game (no chance I'm collecting all the souvenirs with the way they've padded them), wayyy more than I was expecting. I loved the OST to be honest, just needed a lot more variety. The secret area theme is so good!

Agreed with the above comment also.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the game, but I'd honestly be surprised if it were harder than the Diggernaut, Metroid Queen, and Ridley from Samus Returns. Samus Returns In general was pretty rough.
I beat both games and doing the challenges for the Yoshi bosses was harder. Beating them is easy enough (harder than Mario games, but somewhat simple), the challenges is what makes them hard. The timers are very strict for the the time challenges and if you take any damage you'll have to restart the fight from the beginning if you want to win the "no damage" challenge (every boss has these 2 challenges + 1 special one related to something unique in their fight).

When going for the time challenges, the game basically expects the player to learn tricks to skip phases and/or exploit the fights and to not miss their chances to hit the bosses. It's pretty interesting how you end up mastering these fights through this and end up learning new stuff in the fights you breezed through while just finishing the story.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Well hardest 2D boss in a Nintendo game? its a pretty narrow field but I suppose some of the True Arena Kirby bosses like Marx Soul, Stardream DX or The Star allies one.

Those are part of boss rushes/higher difficulty versions though, right? I was thinking of them, having heard of their immense difficulty, but my admittedly arbitrary criteria excludes those. I guess I'm trying to think of 2D bosses whose base form appearance is tougher than Kamek.

Thinking on it further, I think Kirby has had some amazing boss fights just by that criterion though. Like the final boss in Triple Deluxe and Canvas Curse for two examples, but there are a lot more. Kirby's output in the past 15 years or so has really topped the cake when it comes to creative 2D boss fights.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
A secret level? You don't count harder modes but secret/extra levels count? Still that has to be some nasty fight

Mittens

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
Trying to beat Kamek without getting hit was an absolute nightmare. I wish that I was keeping count of the amount of lives it took. I'd put it up there with hardest Nintendo bosses for sure.

I never could beat the Splatoon 2 Octo secret boss :(

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played crafted world, but yea the final three bossed in samus returns are pretty brutal in fusion mode.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
I managed to beat the Kamek boss, but still can't beat Agent #3 yet. I must have died 80 times trying :( It's always the final round that gets me.

I found the pencils / phase 2 of the Kamek fight to be the hardest to avoid damage, the rest isn't so bad. Fortunately the patterns are pretty much the same every time in each phase.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Yeah no, it's far far far faaaaar from the hardest, there's plenty of other bosses in nintendo's history way harder than this

The only hard thing in this fight was the bullshit yoshi-bot part, it was just not well done... and even then i beat it on my third try

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Took me about an hour of attempts to do the challenges on Kamek Kerfuffle, the Go-Go Yoshi segment was fairly annoying. My pro tip: the eyes on the missiles are looking in the direction they eventually end up going in.

Did feel good to finally 100% Crafted, and I wasn't even too mad that the extrinsic reward wasn't all that. I'd hoped I'd at least get a new title screen set at night or something, though.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Those are part of boss rushes/higher difficulty versions though, right? I was thinking of them, having heard of their immense difficulty, but my admittedly arbitrary criteria excludes those. I guess I'm trying to think of 2D bosses whose base form appearance is tougher than Kamek.

Thinking on it further, I think Kirby has had some amazing boss fights just by that criterion though. Like the final boss in Triple Deluxe and Canvas Curse for two examples, but there are a lot more. Kirby's output in the past 15 years or so has really topped the cake when it comes to creative 2D boss fights.
This sounds like it's also a boss rush though? Effectively, at least. It's also a secret boss and a harder version of a previous boss, so the criteria to allow this and exclude... basically every other hard boss, are a bit weird.

If we're just talking hard 2d platformer bosses, my vote would go to Nightmare King Grim (Hollow Knight)

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
The boss part of the fight was reasonable, but the Yoshi-Bot section was unreasonably difficult horseshit.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I just beat this today. Honestly, only the first stage tripped me up. Since I couldn't figure out how to hurt Kamek. I think I beat every other round in the first try, though.

The level before this one though. Floppin and Poppin - that fucking sucked. Had to retry that multiple times.