• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
People need to understand that the release of games have a role in the console's life. If Nintendo just released all their titles in one year, we wouldn't be able to enjoy them fully and both their and the console's sales would suffer. So, all in it's due time. Nintendo, with Odyssey, is hinting heavily on a new DK and maybe a new Captain toad. Smash will wait a little bit longer I think.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm just a little worried since Nintendo has been quiet about it

I don't think you need to worry about it. It might be out between late 2018 and late 2019.

People need to understand that the release of games have a role in the console's life. If Nintendo just released all their titles in one year, we wouldn't be able to enjoy them fully and both their and the console's sales would suffer. So, all in it's due time. Nintendo, with Odyssey, is hinting heavily on a new DK and maybe a new Captain toad. Smash will wait a little bit longer I think.

Well, they probably need to release their multiplayer game next year so I don't think we have any multiplayer game being announced for next year yet. We know Kirby and Yoshi are coming next year for sure thing. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Pikmin, Donkey Kong and Metroid Prime 4 are being in works or are being teased so their release date can be 2018 or 2019 as far as we know.

Last edited:

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had a feeling it would release in early 2018 to coincide with the launch of the paid service. Atm Switch owners will be looking at their games and saying, 'do I really wanna pay to play these games that were released half a year ago?'. They need something to entice people to pay for the service and I can't think of anything better than a Smash 4 port to carry it. If it doesn't happen then you'll be getting Smash 5 in 2019 sometime.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's bound to come, some day. The Switch is like a new lease on life for all of Nintendo's good Wii U games. Here's hoping Pikmin 3 makes the transition okay.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's coming... and so are they.

6d2.png

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
Id say expect no less than 3 to be on the system. No excuse for them to not have smash 64, and they are leaving money on the table if they dont do gamecube vc in general, melee especially. Brawl is up in the air due to wii and snake, so regardless of whether they port 4, make a new one, or both, id expect atleast 3 by the end of the gen.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a matter of "is it happening," but more "when is it happening."

I could see a "GOTY Edition" of sorts for Smash 4 in six months and Smash 5 in 2-3 years.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Well if they wait too much longer ... I think I'd rather have a new smash... that being said.. what more could they possibly do? the last one was so complete...

Oct 27, 2017
I'd much rather they just work on Smash 5 at this point rather than wasting resources doing a Smash 4 DX; save all their new ideas and characters for that game instead of blowing their load early.

Smash 4 was revealed in 2011, came out in 2014, and got over 2 years of DLC support. I want them to move on. And hopefully without Sakurai so he can do something else.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Although at this point I don't see it being a simple port anymore.

I agree. If we were going to see a Smash 4 Deluxe, I feel that it would have at least been announced already. But I think we've reached a point where a port of Smash 4 would feel a little late and underwhelming.

I would be surprised if Smash 5 for the Switch isn't already in development.

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it is. You people need to be patient, a company has to plan releases according to a product's entire lifespan

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
My friend's niece's hamster can confirm that the Switch will never get a Smash Bros. game, actually.

...Yeah, it'll come eventually. Patience!

Sceptre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*when is smash coming to the switch

hopefully soon. the added gamecube capability is a good sign.

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fairly certain it will, just Nintendo seems to like to keep their release schedule close to the vest.

To this point, we only know a handful of 2018 titles and half of them (MP4, Pokemon) most people speculate are more like 2019 titles based on how little of those games was actually shown.

Likely sometime in January or so Nintendo will hold a direct to start setting the stage for 2018 and I'd suspect there would be some kind of announcement around then. That's my guess though.

Getting Smash out this year would've cannibalized ARMS and Pokken anyways, and frankly they didn't need Smash with their other major titles like Mario and Zelda hitting. Nintendo needed Smash to take a backseat for this year. They need Smash in 2018 though.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I think the boat for a smash bros deluxe has sailed. I expect a new smash game to come to the system now.

AdropOFvenom

Oct 27, 2017
MK8 Deluxe is a 2014 title that just sold 4.5 million copies in 2017.
Smash Bros for Wii U came out 4 months later then that.

The ship for a Smash 4 Deluxe absolutely has not sailed.

Oct 27, 2017
Eventually. But honestly, I'm beginning to doubt the existence of this theoretical Smash 4 port for the Switch. If this was actually going to happen, Nintendo would probably want it on the Switch this year considering it probably wouldn't take that much to port. If there is going to be a port, you can bet that Sakurai won't be involved with it. He's not the kind of guy who would want to be overseeing a port or remake, he would much rather work on new stuff.

I'm betting we're not going to see Smash Bros. Until late 2019 at the earliest.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure. Smash Wii U Port with all the DLC and some Adventure Mode and Go.
Can be release when the output ebbs a bit down

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Every Nintendo home console since N64 has had a Smash, and every single time it's a huge seller for them. I don't think there's any universe where they don't release Smash on Switch.

Whether it's a full-blown sequel or a MK-esque port/upgrade is a fair question though.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
It has to come. The real question is whether we will get a Smash 4 Switch or brand new sequel. If we have the choice between getting a Kid Icarus Sequel and Smash 4 Switch vs just getting smash 5, i will much rather have the former. They just have to make sure they fix the online portion of Smash 4 and maybe add a few new characters and 3DS stages and features and that would be good enough for me.

DJKirsch

Oct 27, 2017
Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
As a die-hard Smash fan, I'm super interested to see where they take the series next. I'm of the mind that Smash 4 is pretty much the best of the series in terms of marrying the design sensibilities of both Melee and Brawl (well, as much as they can be), so I certainly wouldn't be opposed to them just using it as a foundation for the next game. It plays well, feels fast but not overwhelmingly so compared to its GameCube brother, has less of an overt focus on the defensive game than it's Wii counterpart, and just runs smoothly and looks gorgeous. Obviously, I could nitpick and there are a few things I'd like to see changed, but overall, I think it's an amazing achievement -- hopefully they don't throw everything out and start completely from scratch.

In the end, I'm just down for another fun game that glorifies and celebrates Nintendo's rich and weird history. Add some new characters, some light gameplay tweaks and balances, new stages (and bring back some more old fan favorites please!) and cool new modes and I'm in. Of course, I'm basically "in" regardless so whatever.

Just, y'know, make Wii Fit Trainer better, Nintendo. She's the best.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I really want the port.

I'm not ready to say goodbye to Mewtwo (Again.) and Cloud.

TheIcedP

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was confirmed that a Smash game was coming to the switch (Even back when it was called the NX) but apparently Masahiro Sakurai doesn't want to work on another sequel from all the articles I read. Either way, whether Sakurai is behind it or not, there will always be a new smash game for each console since there is always a demand for it.