• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's that tween-heavy, skeletal 2D animation applied to segmented 2D character sprites. People often lazily refer to it as the "Flash animation" look, but that's certainly apt given how the online Flash explosion of the early 2000's certainly gave rise to countless tween-based animations.

Even if the game has otherwise quality art assets, if they are mostly static segments animated skeletally like paper dolls then I want nothing to do with it. Period. I hate it that much, truly.

Two examples that come to mind are:

Both of those games feature an illustrative art style that I think looks wonderful in stills. I'm a huge fan of hand-drawn art in games, but in motion the heavy reliance on skeletal or otherwise tweened animation techniques just ruins the entire aesthetic for me.

Some games manage to strike a perfectly acceptable balance for me between using tweened animations and hand-keyed ones in unison. Rayman Legends and the works of Vanillaware come to mind. So it's not like the time-savings of skeletal 2D animation can't be achieved without cheapening the look of the game.

And then you've got something that eschews them completely like Cuphead and looks absolutely incredible, but of course I understand that most developers couldn't even attempt that.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. I think putting off a game because of its art style when you find it the gameplay appealing is weird.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not gonna lie, but "retro 2D" drives my interest way the hell down. everything else has to perfectly be withing my interest for me to be interested again. so many cool sounding indie games I passed over because of it

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's iconic, but I've always hated Toriyama's art. It's abysmal to me.

DQillust-blogsplash-1200x630.jpg

I absolutely hate the Dragon Quest style.

🤜🤛

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I usually avoid games with realistic artstyles because I find realism boring, unless there's something particular about the game that interests me. I don't really hate them per se, it's just usually not my thing.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dust: An Elysian Tail was really hard to get into for me because of the character designs.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
all anime is straight trash unless it's in the style of Legend of the Galactic Heroes to me or Ghibli films.

if your anime humans look like weird fucking alien shit instead of human beings it's a hard pass for me, which is most anime

fbb0ad_5874827.jpg

2e11312ec9bac0cd2ad42fa8798b3651.png

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't hate them with a passion, but something about the look of isometric pixel art games makes me not want to play them

joyce_whirlwind.0o2kz7.jpeg

also something about ultra-realistic games turns me off, it's not that they can't look good (many times they do) but i have this irrational thought that a lot of time and effort was spent on going after something pointless.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I find the aesthetic of Doom Eternal just staggeringly garish to a point where I can't believe everyone at id agreed to go with it.

i don't hate them with a passion, but something about the look of isometric pixel art games makes me not want to play them

SNIP

Oh, what game is that actually? I love this style and can't tell what game it is.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the Borderlands art style is ugly and awful. I cannot stand it. It's the main reason I do not play those games.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Isometric camera angle. Top down camera angle. So basically every RTS or Crpg.

I don't like the bulky, roided out human character design in games like Gears of War, the early Arkham games or anything Cliff Blezinki has touched.

Not a fan of the character design in most Blizzard games. Overwatch being the slight exception.

Borderlands' everything.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
World of Warcraft is the only game that comes to mind. When compared to FFXI at the time and whatever else I was playing on console, it's look always felt super generic. One of my favorite games at the time was Dark Cloud 2. I also don't like generic Tolkien fantasy. Not sure if that's a factor.

I know it's iconic, but I've always hated Toriyama's art. It's abysmal to me.

DQillust-blogsplash-1200x630.jpg

🤜🤛
I absolutely hate the Dragon Quest style.

I knew these people existed, but it's depressing. I love Akira Toriyama's work.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
World of Warcraft is the only game that comes to mind. When compared to FFXI at the time and whatever else I was playing on console, it's look always felt super generic. One of my favorite games at the time was Dark Cloud 2. I also don't like generic Tolkien fantasy. Not sure if that's a factor.

I knew these people existed, but it's depressing. I love Akira Toriyama's work.

Now I'll make you even more disappointed in me, because WoW has easily one my favorite a e s t h e t i c s in gaming. I also think it might have been generic at some point in series history, but they've pulled inspiration from so many places now that it's anything but generic. It's Tolkien fantasy mixed with sci-fi mixed with steampunk mixed with...Indiana Jones. Frodo never went to space.

Oct 27, 2017
For reason I've always really disliked the middle earth style of games, books, movies, etc. I didn't love Game of Thrones and it doesn't 100% fit that vibe but it was okay.

To this day, there's something about The Witcher 3 and Skyrim I just can't get into in terms of world, lore, etc. Maybe I didn't spend enough time into stuff like King Arthur as a kid idk, I've always just drifted towards sci-fi, post-apocalyptic and noir settings more. I've never really liked LOTR either.

I've started Skyrim like 3 times, Witcher 3 twice, and each time I just can't get farther than an hour or two. Not because they're not necessarily good, but I just don't care about the world/characters.

Fable is the only sort of middle-earth style IP that I've liked a lot but that has a lot of british humor in it, which I enjoy. Sorta Monty Python-esque.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
WoW's art style causes me physical pain. As does Fortnite's. I will probably never touch either as a result.

Dec 31, 2017
2D
-When the characters lack weight. If it looks like a cursor is picking them up when they jump.

-2.5D There are exceptions, DCK Trilogy, Mischief Makers. But Im naturally inclined to dislike polygonal 2D.

3D

Badly animated stuff I guess.

I really only hate the cheap, no effort looking stuff in general. I'll give anything a try.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Now I'll make you even more disappointed in me, because WoW has easily one my favorite a e s t h e t i c s in gaming. I also think it might have been generic at some point in series history, but they've pulled inspiration from so many places now that it's anything but generic. It's Tolkien fantasy mixed with sci-fi mixed with steampunk mixed with...Indiana Jones. Frodo never went to space.

Yeah, we're on opposite sides of the spectrum. I legit didn't post any images of WoW because I thought they were all ugly and wouldn't be fair since the game is old. Meanwhile, I think Dragon Quest XI looks beautiful, hahahaha