• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does the Avenger's theme rank among the most iconic movie themes?

• Yes

Votes: 638 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 688 45.9%
  • Not now but it will be

Votes: 172 11.5%

• Total voters

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Didn't even realize there's a recurring theme, so I really have to go with no.
People saying it isnt are not being honest. the general marvel watching public could certainly pick it out a random set of tunes
I'm probably part of "general marvel watching public" as I'm not a huge fan but will watch atleast most of the movies and I'm not lying about not recognizing the theme.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
It's only synonymous with the brand because there's only two recognizable tunes in the entire MCU: This and the Captain America March. So the 2 minutes of it get shoehorned everywhere.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
nah. i like those films for the most part, but the music's never stood out to me like star wars, or trek, or the original superman theme. the single most iconic/identifiable piece of music in the whole mcu is probably the orchestral riff on the old cartoon spider-man theme from homecoming/far from home, and that's only 'cause it was already iconic.

this isn't, like, a nostalgia thing either--i was easily young enough when the first avengers came out for the music to have embedded itself in my head, if it'd been particularly memorable.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Someone mentioned the Hype when Cap showed up on screen and that theme played, lets not forget when Thor landed in Wakanda. The buildup to the Iconic part of theme is FUCKING AMAZING and how well it synced up with the moment.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Plus, you just know they are going to play the theme in Endgame. If it plays where I think it will I don't see how it wouldn't leave an impression

Hell, they played it when Cap showed up in IW and the theatre marked out

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know. With Williams, that was like my formative years, so those classic themes had a big impact. Maybe the same is happening now, to this generation.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Star Wars theme has the advantage of being 40+ years old, so both kids and parents and grandparents today instantly recognize it. The only movie more woven into our culture is arguably the Wizard of Oz.

The Avengers theme is much newer, so it isn't as pervasive to older generations.

But given a few decades, yes, the Avengers theme is definitely capable of being as culturally implanted as the Imperial March.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
hearing it at the end of that latest Endgame trailer or any time it's played in a cool scene gives me chills. i dont know what that means though, really.

I was never more sure of the theme being an all time great until I experienced this scene with a roaring applause from the audience. That's a memory I'll never forget.

god, thats cool. haha.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
No absolutely not.
And it's a shame since Silvestri is usually so good.
It's...moderately memorable at best. It does not deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as anything ever done by John Williams or Danny Elfman's 80s to early 00s output.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Honestly I used to think it wasnt but now, I'm not gonna lie, every single time they use it in marketing and in the movies it fucking gets me immediately.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. With Williams, that was like my formative years, so those classic themes had a big impact. Maybe the same is happening now, to this generation.
How many people remember the original Spiderman movies themes nowadays or the X Men themes? Just because it's huge now doesn't mean it's going to remembered for every incarnation like most of the OP themes listed.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
That's....odd, considering neither sound anything like the avengers theme. I hear some people mix incredibles with mission impossible.

Now that is definitely age-related. I've only seen both Incredibles once apiece but the first came out when I was in my teens.

Meanwhile, the M:I theme was present in my childhood from the old show, let alone the movies always resurrecting it.

Oct 27, 2017
Now that we've been talking about movie themes and I've been thinking about it, another that is instantly recognizable is the theme from Mission Impossible.

Edit: Oh dang, lol. Yeah these are good too.

To me, truly iconic leitmotifs/themes have to be something you find yourself able to remember.

Sure, you can go "oh, that's the Avengers theme" when you hear it. But for the life of me I can't remember it out of the moment. Each time I try I just hear the Indiana Jones or Incredibles theme in my head for some reason, lol....

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
It's the only recognisable theme in the MCU. But saying it's iconic like Williams' Superman theme is silly.

The question is if you played it for random people, how many people would know what it's from.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Didn't even realize there's a recurring theme, so I really have to go with no.
I'm probably part of "general marvel watching public" as I'm not a huge fan but will watch atleast most of the movies and I'm not lying about not recognizing the theme.

Pretty much this, didn't even know there was an Avengers "theme".

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine not thinking the most profitable film franchise ever doesn't have an iconic theme. You will look silly.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of, the buildup isn't amazing but when it hit it really fucking hits. Infinity War and the previous Avenger movies really elevate it.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Can your average anybody instantly recognize the burton batman theme right now?

I'd think it would be more likely yes, than someone recognizing Avengers in 20 years. Also OP listed Star Wars and the Superman themes as well, not just the Batman theme. Avengers will never be as iconic as the Star Wars theme and you know it.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The Wonder Woman theme alone is more memorable than any MCU music. I finally recognize the Avengers theme after it's been used so many times, but it's still very blah.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
This poll is definitley not influenced by people being in hype mode for a movie that comes out soon

Its nowhere near as iconic as those other themes nor will it be

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The Wonder Woman theme alone is more memorable than any MCU music. I finally recognize the Avengers theme after it's been used so many times, but it's still very blah.
Right now I can't even think of wonder woman's off the top of my head. I know it's like electronic stuff. I can think of the avengers theme any second.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Ever since Infinity War arrangement, yes.

Before then? I honestly thought it was one of the most generic superhero tunes I've ever heard in my life

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I was never more sure of the theme being an all time great until I experienced this scene with a roaring applause from the audience. That's a memory I'll never forget.

I think this was the moment the theme solidified in my mind. Until then it was kind of fluid, not really something I could hum out like themes from the old Batman or Superman movies.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I think comparing it to Star Wars in particular is throwing me off. Star Wars is on a totally other level—there are a whole bunch of Star Wars themes that are among the most recognizable themes of all time.

If I instead think of the question as "Is the Avengers theme iconic in the same way the Mission: Impossible theme is iconic?", then the answer is more clearly "Yes".

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think it undoubtedly is. The Avengers was the first blockbuster superhero team up and was wildly successful. It has now been in several movies for a hugely successful shared universe. I think it's a good but not great theme, but it's absolutely iconic unless your definition is in my opinion far too narrow.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
It's good and recognizable but it doesn't compare to supermans theme (John Williams). The avengers theme doesn't really illicit any kind of feelings for me.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Even the beginning part can get reactions (see: Captain america arrives in infinity war)
Oh right. That one worked well. I suppose the lead-in works as well with those rapid string beats. Not sure if the middle part works quite as well, but then again, it will likely never have to stand alone. That's just to bridge the opening with the main theme.