• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does the Avenger's theme rank among the most iconic movie themes?

• Yes

Votes: 638 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 688 45.9%
  • Not now but it will be

Votes: 172 11.5%

• Total voters

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
My friend who isn't a comic book, film, game, online person in any way heard me playing the latest avengers trailer and justcaughtthe music and said "Avengers, cool!".

I think people like that know it. We all know it. So if it's. It quite there yet it will be in time. The films are far too popular for it not to be, as much as that obviously pains many of you.
You could have just said isn't an online person, no?

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
I love the Avengers Theme, but i'd say the Marvel Opening Theme is more iconic.

You hear this, you know you're in for a Marvel experience.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's at that level but it's the closest anyone has got in the last 30 years

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is, in that you instantly know it's the Avengers when you hear it, but I think the real icon here is the Marvel logo theme.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
It is very iconic and every time I hear it I get goosebumbs.

At the end of the movie when the theme plays I got chills down my spine. Such an amazing theme.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Game of Thrones theme crushes Avenger's theme too.

Yea and how many episodes and seasons have there been over the course of 8-9 years for people to recognize it? There's been so far 3 avengers films. With End game being the fourth.

It's an iconic lite motif. People who are bringing man if steel comparisons don't understand the difference between a them and a lite motif.

The one for avengers is only heard in specific moments and used in trailers to hit it home of the lite motif that you hear in beginning, sometime a little in mid but mainly it's usually in the beginning credits, and close to end third act. Which rings true with the circle shot and the end of new York battle.

Man of steel has a theme and a lite motif. The piano u hear that's the theme, the other u hear before the logos is the lite motif it's heard in different variations like avengers motif through out the film.

I might have them crossed. But u get what I'm laying down.

People saying it's not iconic are just not going understanding that avengers are now as known theme wise as Lord of the rings and Harry Potter.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I can see an argument for the Avengers theme being iconic from the standpoint of it is the theme for arguably the biggest movie series in cinematic history. Quality-wise? People would have to be straight up insane to say it's comparable to the BttF, Indiana Jones, Superman, or Jurassic Park theme.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I can see an argument for the Avengers theme being iconic from the standpoint of it is the theme for arguably the biggest movie series in cinematic history. Quality-wise? People would have to be straight up insane to say it's comparable to the BttF, Indiana Jones, Superman, or Jurassic Park theme.
So having a different opinion or taste is insanity now? Interesting....

Dec 22, 2017
It's getting there. These are the biggest movies on the planet right now. 20-30 years from now when the kids who grew up on Marvel are adults and parents, you bet your ass it will be more iconic than the Superman and Batman themes. Nothing will ever top Star Wars though.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not to say anything about the quality of it, but I honestly couldn't make myself remember it for the life of me. And upon clicking on the link and listening to it if feels like I never head it before. So I'm gonna go with no.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I don't think that song ever helped define the movies or the characters. Can it get crowds hyped? Does it fit well in hype scenes? Sure but I don't think it will ever be a touchstone of those movies, I don't think people would point out if it were missing from a movie whereas people would be wondering wtf was going on if we didn't hear the Indiana Jones or James Bond themes in their respective movies.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll be up there after some time. Harry Potter and Game of Thrones are probably closer to that level however.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen every Marvel movie and I couldn't immediately bring it to mind, albeit I seem to be nowhere near as invested in the Avengers as many on here, so I would personally say no. By comparison, I don't like Star Wars but that music is extremely iconic and the Avengers doesn't come close.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
You're crazy, DBZ is super mainstream.
See, this is where the bias comes in. You're a fan or you know of DBZ. Plenty of things are super popular within the fanbase but don't actually have much of a footprint outside of it because it's very genre dependent. Being mainstream means you've crossed that genre barrier which a lot of things do not. This is why when people say, "Who doesn't know the Avenger's theme?" A shit tonne of people do not because they're not as invested. Our own interests and bias can make us believe our hobbies or beliefs are more widespread than they are because we associate with like-minded individuals. World of Warcraft got press time, Jeopardy!, and other things but guess what not? The mainstream world has zero idea what the fuck World of Warcraft is because, well, it's only popular within its audience.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
It's generic as all hell, nothing stands out about it. Take a piece of music and divorce it from what it is associated with, is it still memorable/good? Superman theme is, Star Wars theme is. But Avengers? God no, if it wasn't associated with the Avengers none of y'all getting goosebumps would even notice it. You're getting goosebumps because it's a Pavlov's dogs situation. You hear that song, you know it means Avengers, you love Avengers, you get goosebumps. The song is just the trigger. All the song ever had to be is competent, and that's all it is

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's generic as all hell, nothing stands out about it. Take a piece of music and divorce it from what it is associated with, is it still memorable/good? Superman theme is, Star Wars theme is. But Avengers? God no, if it wasn't associated with the Avengers none of y'all getting goosebumps would even notice it. You're getting goosebumps because it's a Pavlov's dogs situation. You hear that song, you know it means Avengers, you love Avengers, you get goosebumps. The song is just the trigger. All the song ever had to be is competent, and that's all it is
I mean, that's extremely subjective...not factual at all.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
See, this is where the bias comes in. You're a fan or you know of DBZ. Plenty of things are super popular within the fanbase but don't actually have much of a footprint outside of it because it's very genre dependent. Being mainstream means you've crossed that genre barrier which a lot of things do not. This is why when people say, "Who doesn't know the Avenger's theme?" A shit tonne of people do not because they're not as invested. Our own interests and bias can make us believe our hobbies or beliefs are more widespread than they are because we associate with like-minded individuals. World of Warcraft got press time, Jeopardy!, and other things but guess what not? The mainstream world has zero idea what the fuck World of Warcraft is because, well, it's only popular within its audience.
I wish you would stop trying to compare Wow to DBZ.

WOW was big for like 6 years. DB has been a staple since it started

One is a multimedia franchise. Even if you don't think DB is "mainstream" it's certainly a level above WOW

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
lol no. The vast majority of MCU music is painfully unmemorable and it's easily the most lacking aspect of their movies, and the Avengers theme is no exception.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I mean, that's extremely subjective...not factual at all.

Not really? Some music is better than others. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad, and just because you like something doesn't make it good. How is Beethoven so well known centuries later if not for it being so much better than his contemporaries? Was it just happenstance?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not really? Some music is better than others. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad, and just because you like something doesn't make it good. How is Beethoven so well known centuries later if not for it being so much better than his contemporaries? Was it just happenstance?
How is the avengers theme objectively bad? Like I don't get it.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
How is the avengers theme objectively bad? Like I don't get it.

It's not objectively bad. I even said in my initial post, it's competent, yet divorced of context does not stand out what so ever. With the quality of the avengers movies and the universe build around the MCU all the song ever had to be was not a shitshow in order for it to inspire that "goosebump" feeling

Edit: To provide a point, in the Spiderman PS4 reviews, the game's sound track was often felt to be boring/uninspiring/generic with reviewers specifically bringing up it just sounds like any other MCU movie.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's not objectively bad. I even said in my initial post, it's competent, yet divorced of context does not stand out what so ever. With the quality of the avengers movies and the universe build around the MCU all the song ever had to be was not a shitshow in order for it to inspire that "goosebump" feeling
I mean...I just don't get how that's like not subjective? And you can say the same for every iconic theme.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Ball is literally a billion dollar plus franchise that has been popular worldwide for more than 30 years. What the hell are you talking about.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The crescendo part of the theme, when they Assemble in the first movie or when Thor lands in Wakanda is pretty recognizable but outside of that, nah.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see this Avengers tune being big for the current generation of kids as it has an epic quality. But given my age and lack of interest in superhero movies, it will never strike the same chords with me as any of the big '70s, '80s, and '90s themes.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If you had asked me some years back, like maybe five or so, I'd have said no, but in the past two years, most definitely. Hearing it kick in bombastically for the Infinity War trailer cemented it to me as an iconic theme up there with Superman's, Batman's, and Star Wars.

It's wonderfully simple, rousing, and impactful. When it kicks in, you know shit is about to go down. The big moment in Infinity War itself was excellent use of it as well.