• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does the Avenger's theme rank among the most iconic movie themes?

• Yes

Votes: 638 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 688 45.9%
  • Not now but it will be

Votes: 172 11.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I mean...I just don't get how that's like not subjective? And you can say the same for every iconic theme.

This quote from a music reviewer perfectly sums up what i mean. For context he is reviewing the 2012 Avengers soundtrack, felt that Silvestri (composer) did an excellent job with captain America and was excited as fuck for the movie. But perhaps the most important thing is that he listened to the soundtrack in it's entirety BEFORE he saw the movie. So it's as close to be uninfluenced by the context of the movie as it can be, and again, he's a Marvel fan so he wants it to be good. But alas, we get...

"As luck would have it, I got a chance to have a proper listen to it before it's release. To use an over-used phrase, being like a kid in a candy store doesn't even compare to the excitement I felt as I was about to play it. Then reality hit me, and it hit me hard, with superhero strength. What is this? Why is most of the score focused on creating music that doesn't excite me at all? Why? Just listen to the first couple of cues 'Arrival' and 'Doors Open From Both Sides' and you know what I mean. It is simply not very fun to listen to, and I get a feeling that under-excited might be a better word to describe my feelings after listening to this."

"Like James Newton Howards' Green Lantern last year, Alan Silvestri's The Avengers is the biggest disappointment so far, and possibly might be all year despite it being a decent score. Most of the tracks here doesn't really interest or excite me at all unfortunately and it is safe to say that comes as a huge surprise to me, specially after Captain America last year. "

http://www.soundtrackgeek.com/v2/soundtrack-review-the-avengers-2012/

In other words, generic. The music exists for not other reason than the most vapid "GET HYPED BOOOOIIIIII". The harry potter theme and Jurassic park themes for example. Right away you know it's going for an adventure, a wistful journey. Avenges is just "GET HYPE" *CUE HORNS*

Edit: Added a second quote for context and for disclosure gave it a 71. It's just competent and forgetable

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's possibly an argument about it being iconic, but to put it in the same league as Star Wars and Superman? There's no way it is in the same league.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
This quote from a music reviewer perfectly sums up what i mean. For context he is reviewing the 2012 Avengers soundtrack, felt that Silvestri (composer) did an excellent job with captain America and was excited as fuck for the movie. But perhaps the most important thing is that he listened to the soundtrack in it's entirety BEFORE he saw the movie. So it's as close to be uninfluenced by the context of the movie as it can be, and again, he's a Marvel fan so he wants it to be good. But alas, we get...

"As luck would have it, I got a chance to have a proper listen to it before it's release. To use an over-used phrase, being like a kid in a candy store doesn't even compare to the excitement I felt as I was about to play it. Then reality hit me, and it hit me hard, with superhero strength. What is this? Why is most of the score focused on creating music that doesn't excite me at all? Why? Just listen to the first couple of cues 'Arrival' and 'Doors Open From Both Sides' and you know what I mean. It is simply not very fun to listen to, and I get a feeling that under-excited might be a better word to describe my feelings after listening to this."

"Like James Newton Howards' Green Lantern last year, Alan Silvestri's The Avengers is the biggest disappointment so far, and possibly might be all year despite it being a decent score. Most of the tracks here doesn't really interest or excite me at all unfortunately and it is safe to say that comes as a huge surprise to me, specially after Captain America last year. "

http://www.soundtrackgeek.com/v2/soundtrack-review-the-avengers-2012/

In other words, generic. The music exists for not other reason than the most vapid "GET HYPED BOOOOIIIIII". The harry potter theme and Jurassic park themes for example. Right away you know it's going for an adventure, a wistful journey. Avenges is just "GET HYPE" *CUE HORNS*

Edit: Added a second quote for context and for disclosure gave it a 71. It's just competent and forgetable
This is actually a good point. Memorable because of the theme or the exposure of the films themselves?

Eg: John Carter of Mars has a much more memorable motif (and an altogether much more impressive score), but is tied to a largely panned film that got little exposure.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
It's getting there. So yes, at least right now.

And older people here (including myself) need to acknowledge that the old John Williams Superman theme isn't as recognizeble anymore by younger generations either. Nor is the Elfman Batman score, even if millennials still recognize it. Younger people at my work couldn't recognize the Batman and Superman themes from the 80s.

Out the ones mentioned in the title, probably only Star Wars is recognized by most people who aren't just geeks or fans. And mostly because the franchise has made sure the major themes are carried on through all of the movies, something DC has failed to do with their own themes (Danny Elfman complained about this in an interview about his return to the franchise when scoring Justice League).

The Avengers theme is right now, more iconic or at least recognizable than the old Batman and Superman themes by a more broad audience.

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's possibly an argument about it being iconic, but to put it in the same league as Star Wars and Superman? There's no way it is in the same league.
You hear the theme and you know where it's from. Star Wars, Harry Potter, Superman, Mission Impossible. That's the only real qualifier.

Shit, that Moby song at the end of all those Bourne movies is practically iconic at this point.

I don't think it's at that level but it's the closest anyone has got in the last 30 years
Harry Potter?

Oct 25, 2017
8 pages and I'm surprised there's been no reference to the theme's use for Thor's arrival in Wakanda. I was always kinda meh on the Avengers theme, but holy shit this moment and the reaction in the theater when it happened was incredible.

https://youtu.be/I7mDue5HOE8

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
If you had asked this question 3 years ago it would have been a hard no from me.

After the 1 - 2 punch of Infinity War and Endgame though? Absolutely.

Dr. Alu

Dec 7, 2017
It's the only marvel theme I recognize (besides the Spiderman theme and since the other themes scores being so generic), so I would call it iconic.

But it is up there? No. It's good, but not great.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen all of the avengers movies and can't think of the theme off the top of my head. I've watched only one superman movie (returns, so I bad one) and I can hear the theme in my head. I'm not even sure if that movie had the theme.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I definitely feel it is. At least personally. Especially the part that everyone knows cause of the trailers. Freaking love it!

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Straight nope. I had to listen to the video to remember what it sounds like ahah. And then I listened to other themes and got chills, then went to post this and can't remember what Avengers sounds like again. It's like... some boring percussion build up with no satisfying release?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
You hear the theme and you know where it's from. Star Wars, Harry Potter, Superman, Mission Impossible. That's the only real qualifier.

Shit, that Moby song at the end of all those Bourne movies is practically iconic at this point.

That's not really the only scope though. Just because some diehard fan recognizes it doesn't mean it's iconic. There's another qualifier in how many people recognize it and how far it reaches.

There's also probably a difference in can you recognize it and can you hum it off the top of your head.

Oct 25, 2017
That's not really the only scope though. Just because some diehard fan recognizes it doesn't mean it's iconic. There's another qualifier in how many people recognize it and how far it reaches.

There's also probably a difference in can you recognize it and can you hum it off the top of your head.
Nothing in my quote only applied to diehards.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Ball is literally a billion dollar plus franchise that has been popular worldwide for more than 30 years. What the hell are you talking about.
There are a lot of billion dollar franchises people have not heard of. One Piece is the best selling visual comic thing of all time and isn't that well known. Money =/= mainstream knowledge.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I can never remember it when I want to.

So I'm gonna go with no. I think it really only shows up in ads and in the final setpeices . I could be wrong.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing in my quote only applied to diehards.

You said the only qualifier is if you hear it and you know where it's from though. I'm saying just because a diehard recognizes it doesn't make it iconic. So that can't be the only qualifier. There are other qualifiers that factor in.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
just realized this is the closest that anyone has come to star wars/batman/superman iconic in the last 30 years:

though having a celine dion banger version on the radio probably helped, which muddies things a bit. does circle of life count? a whole new world? let it go?

avengers and harry potter fall right below those

daft_cat

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not particularly iconic as a piece of music in its own right, but its continued usage in these films will only push it deeper into our collective cultural consciousness.

So no, but yes.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Heck no

I find it serviceable. But that's as much praise as I'd give the Avengers theme. The others are in a different tier.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't answer the poll as phrased unfortunately...

The theme -is- iconic at this point, no question, but clearly not on the level of Superman/ Star Wars themes.
And I have no idea if it ever will be tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
You said the only qualifier is if you hear it and you know where it's from though. I'm saying just because a diehard recognizes it doesn't make it iconic. So that can't be the only qualifier. There are other qualifiers that factor in.
I'm not talking about diehards.

YOU applies to anyone. My mom, a random on the street, me picking 100 era users at random, just going to anyone, playing the theme and going "hey where's this from". There are certain themes you play that most if not all people will recognize. That is the qualifier.

It's not "well I recognize it, or people online do".

Jan 10, 2018

I was never more sure of the theme being an all time great until I experienced this scene with a roaring applause from the audience. That's a memory I'll never forget.

These "please clap and cheer" pauses are always a strange at home experience. See also in the last Harry Potter when someone gets killed. Movie just stops all the sudden.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about diehards.

YOU applies to anyone. My mom, a random on the street, me picking 100 era users at random, just going to anyone, playing the theme and going "hey where's this from". There are certain themes you play that most if not all people will recognize. That is the qualifier.

It's not "well I recognize it, or people online do".

But that's the thing, there are other qualifiers. That's the point I'm trying to make. If you simply say does someone recognize it, then it's iconic that simply doesn't fly because someone will recognize it, especially a die hard. So there are more qualifiers such as how many people recognize it and so forth. I'm saying if you stick with just that sole qualifier, you can break the logic by pointing out an edge case. So again, it's not the only qualifier on what defines it to be iconic.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just have a feeling you people are really overstating the popularity of the Superman theme. I struggle to remember it.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I just have a feeling you people are really overstating the popularity of the Superman theme. I struggle to remember it.

The theme is over 40 years old and is still quite recognizable today. I don't think anyone is overstating how iconic the theme is.

Oct 25, 2017
But that's the thing, there are other qualifiers. That's the point I'm trying to make. If you simply say does someone recognize it, then it's iconic that simply doesn't fly because someone will recognize it, especially a die hard. So there are more qualifiers such as how many people recognize it and so forth. I'm saying if you stick with just that sole qualifier, you can break the logic by pointing out an edge case. So again, it's not the only qualifier on what defines it to be iconic.
You're killing me with the semantics bruv. If a person at random can recognize a theme, chances are it has deep impact in the culture zeigiest. That's all I'm arguing.

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to say it tho.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Really? It's been an enduring theme since the 1970's. I've heard it regularly from things like college bands playing it, tv, movies, parodies. Hell, it was in the latest justice league. Smallville ended with it as a huge reveal:

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, no no not at all . Generic superhero music to me

Oct 25, 2017
just realized this is the closest that anyone has come to star wars/batman/superman iconic in the last 30 years:

though having a celine dion banger version on the radio probably helped, which muddies things a bit. does circle of life count? a whole new world? let it go?

avengers and harry potter fall right below those

I don't understand the thought that Harry Potters theme is below Superman and Batman in terms of being iconic. Y'all are just arguing with your own nostalgia at this point.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People putting this amongst Harry Potter and LotR shouldn't be trusted. You even have some Star Wars songs that are more memorable than this. Duel of Fates is more iconic, for example. I'd say even the Ringwraiths theme alone in LotR is more memorable than the Avengers theme.