• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does the Avenger's theme rank among the most iconic movie themes?

• Yes

Votes: 638 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 688 45.9%
  • Not now but it will be

Votes: 172 11.5%

• Total voters

red_taiyaki

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I enjoy listening to soundtracks, I never particularly found anything memorable about the Avengers theme. Maybe Endgame will change my mind, but to me the only real standout soundtrack in MCU is Black Panther...

So obviously no it's not iconic. But if I hear it I know what it's from lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to make a thread about how "I don't even remember it" is not an argument but seems to be everyone's shorthand these days.

I had to struggle to remember the Superman theme and I don't remember Batman (89) or Lord of the Rings, but I'm not gonna argue they're not iconic for that reason.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't remember it til I clicked the video.

It may not be a legit argument but it's all I have to go on.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It's not Star Wars-tier (what else is?) but it's up there, for me. I'm a big fan of the franchise and it makes me feel things.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't really until the first Infinity War trailer, but I'd wager John Q. Public could identify it now no problem, which makes it iconic.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd say it's recognizable in that if you heard it you'll probably be able to state it's the Avengers theme.

But it's not iconic because I feel like if you asked most people what is the Avengers theme they wouldn't necessarily know it off hand.

I also, and probably woefully wrong, only really remember its usage in the first movie. Like I'm sure in Age of Ultron and Infinity Wars, but couldn't tell you when and where

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it's recognizable in that if you heard it you'll probably be able to state it's the Avengers theme.

But it's not iconic because I feel like if you asked most people what is the Avengers theme they wouldn't necessarily know it off hand.

I also, and probably woefully wrong, only really remember its usage in the first movie. Like I'm sure in Age of Ultron and Infinity Wars, but couldn't tell you when and where

It's used during the "BRING ME THANOS" scene in Infinity war.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I mean, look up the reaction of Captain America and Thor's arrival in Infinity War. These type of reaction wouldn't be has hyped without this iconic theme.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say yes, but then I had to wait almost 2 minutes to hear the part I actually recognize as the Avengers Theme and not their "Running Somewhere" music.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah at this point I think it's iconic or at least will be in due time. Problem is that it only really appears in the Avenger films and even then it wasn't used that well in Age of Ultron.

I just think the problem with the song is that it wasn't until Infinity War that they used the song in scenes well enough for it to become iconic but I think after Endgame the argument of it being iconic will be more in it's favor.

With that said I don't think the MCU is completely devoid of good songs. I love Antman's and the Guardians of the Galaxy themes and I wish they had more recognition but I guess that comes from songs only being in these movies.

The fact is unless they make a leitmotif that's used in every MCU film the MCU is never going to get a song on the same level as the Star Wars themes. Sometimes exposure is what makes a song standout and none of the MCU songs really get that exposure past their film

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Problem I have with this theme is that its too forgettable, nothing really sticks with me, now the MoS theme I like more than the old one.
Nah man. Even MOS theme is more recognizable

Yup I agree with this, hell the MoS soundtrack is one of the best in the comic movies.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah at this point I think it's iconic or at least will be in due time. Problem is that it only really appears in the Avenger films and even then it wasn't used that well in Age of Ultron.

I just think the problem with the song is that it wasn't until Infinity War that they used the song in scenes well enough for it to become iconic but I think after Endgame the argument of it being iconic will be more in it's favor.

With that said I think the MCU isn't completely devoid of good songs. I love Antman's and the Guardians of the Galaxy themes and I wish they had more recognition but I guess that comes from songs only being in these movies.

The fact is unless they make a leitmotif that's used in every MCU film the MCU is never going to get a song on the same level as the Star Wars themes. Sometimes exposure is what makes a song standout and none of the MCU songs really get that exposure past their film

It's used in non-avengers movies basically any time they mention the Avengers. Like in captain marvel:

at the very end, when Nick Fury is typing up the proposal for the project, he looks at Carol's jet and sees "Avenger" on the side, and theme starts playing as he types "The Avengers Initiative" at the top of his proposal

Or like in Spider-man Homecoming:

Every time they show the Avenger tower, the main chords play. Like when Spider-man says "it's moving day!" when he figured out vulture is going to steal the Avengers equipment, it cuts to a shot of the Avengers tower and the main theme's chords start playing

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I've seen every Marvel movie and wasn't sure they had one. The one in the op doesn't even bring up any memories.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
I may be alone in this, but the Guardians of the Galaxy theme is still in my head since the first time I watched the movie. The Avengers took its time to be as memorable for me

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
It's halfway there...definitely on the right track. It's absolutely true that when I hear it, I immediately think of the Avengers and all the feelings/great moments from the series, so it's done it's job for sure.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It's adequate but not particularly interesting. Sounds like something Silvestri dashed off in an afternoon. His Captain America theme is much better (but alas mostly dropped after the first film).

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, not a joke - while I recognize it when I hear it, if I actually try to remember the tune of the Avengers theme, I just hear the US Army commercial theme song.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I think it's generic toots but I'm not huge into the Avengers movies. I like them fine, but I had to listen to the OP's link to even remember it. I know Superman's right now in my head. Star Wars I literally couldn't NOT know without blunt-force head trauma. So, if Star Wars is the measure of iconic Avengers will never be that. If Superman is? Yeah, it could get there by brute force.
There's an avengers theme?

Was thinking the same thing. I listened to the link in the OP and thought "isn't that just the same thing they play in all the Marvel movies?" but I guess I'm way off.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing to note is that Williams wrote his iconic themes when those were in favor. Most of them have A and B sections (if not a C too). A lot of what makes them so memorable is how developed and lengthy they are. Nowadays, if you hear a theme at all, they tend to be short and simple, without a lot of development. When Silvestri uses his Avengers theme, he doesn't vary it up all that much.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Listening to the theme doesn't make me think of the Avengers at all. If I randomly heard it on the street I wouldn't even know it was their theme. However, Superman, is too iconic for me to not know it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope I live long enough to see all the folks get into movies and shit because they were inspired by the movies.

I'm trying :(

It's only synonymous with the brand because there's only two recognizable tunes in the entire MCU: This and the Captain America March. So the 2 minutes of it get shoehorned everywhere.

This, Cap, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and the Black Panther themes are the only real recognizable ones for me, which is a shame. Captain Marvel's was pretty solid, but as I've only seen the movie once, I don't remember it yet. I'm glad Black Panther's seems to have caught on a bit with crowds, as every showing of Infinity War I went to had the audience react as soon as they heard the song begin.

Anyone pretending the Avengers theme itself isn't instantly recognizable to a ton of moviegoers currently is lying their ass off. It's extremely memorable, especially because it's been used alongside some pretty iconic visuals (the rotating shot in Avengers, Thor arriving in Infinity War) that makes it easier for people to recall.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Problem is that it only really appears in the Avenger films and even then it wasn't used that well in Age of Ultron.

It was definitely used poorly in Age of Ultron. You hear shades of it during quieter moments (like when Tony tells the Avengers defending Earth from whatever sent the Chitauri is the real Endgame). And they tried to recreate the iconic rotating shot in Sokovia when the team defended the button that would send the asteroid hurtling toward Earth, but ultimately the best use of the song was during the credits, with the sculpture of the Avengers fighting Ultron off.

It's used in other films though; you hear it in Homecoming and Ant-Man, when Peter and Scott arrive at the Avengers HQ, for example. In the latter case, it was the first thing that signaled to the audience where Scott was about to infiltrate.

It's not. The gist is, today's filmmakers want music to fade into the background:

The Avengers theme is continually one of the loudest blaring themes I've heard in cinema, so, nah.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't about whether y'all like the theme. It's iconic, and if you don't recognize that now then you will eventually. It's synonymous with the franchise.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
There are a lot of liars in this thread who need it to be a no so they can cling onto their classics and/or anti-MCU bias. But it continues to become iconic after every single movie.

And I'd say by Black Panther 2, BP's theme will as well.