• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does the Avenger's theme rank among the most iconic movie themes?

• Yes

Votes: 638 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 688 45.9%
  • Not now but it will be

Votes: 172 11.5%

• Total voters

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it was Kevin who specifically called out that video as the reason they were changing the way they approached scoring MCU films going forward.

I'm not talking about the MCU at large. That video has a ton of points where most other tunes are concerned.

But the Avengers theme itself has consistently been the opposite of "just exist in the background".

Another example I really don't think gets its due enough is the Guardians of the Galaxy theme, which is just as recognizable to me (though it sounds somewhat similar to the Avenger's); the scene that really cemented it in my head forever was the iteration of it playing in "Black Tears" from the first film, when Quill and the team share the power of the Power Stone. It's beautifully shot, memorable as hell, and the score perfectly backs it. It plays loudly there and during the Kyln escape, as well as a few other moments across both films. I regret that it didn't get used in Infinity War at all.

Last edited:

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, part of what makes a theme iconic is it's frequency of use and it's mainstream appeal.

It's absolutely iconic, but the Avengers is a massive movie IP right now, possibly the biggest, and both the movies and promotional material are beating you senseless with that theme at every opportunity.

I like the theme, but I don't think it's a strength as a composition piece comes close to those of Star Wars or other Williams themes. Hell, it ain't even Silvestri's best theme for the MCU, let alone the many other iconic themes he's made over his career.

But again, the strength of the composition is only one factor. The theme for the Stark Trek films was posted earlier and IMO are far better as compositions than the Avengers theme, but I doubt they're anywhere near as iconic, the films are nowhere near as popular and that permutation of the franchise now seems dead in the water, so who knows when we'll ever hear that theme again, if ever.

Superman has been in TV and film for decades now, many of them reusing William's theme. Star Wars has been a cinematic mainstay for almost 50 years. Of course those themes are iconic, The franchises themselves have literally spanned generations, there's a lot of built in nostalgia for those themes.

The Avengers haven't even been around for a decade. Will we still be getting Avengers films in 2054? Maybe we can see how many recognize the theme then when the public as heard it off and on again for almost half a century.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say that horn line is. When I hear it I think of the moment from the first Avengers where they're all together and the camera pans around them in a circle. The strings don't feel like they add a lot though and even the horn line lacks depth.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's that weird, really out of place song:

I vaguely remember this. I thought it was associated with Justice League.

It thematically could not be farther away from what I think about when I think of Wonder Woman. Purity, naivete, calm strength, honor.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe? To be honest I couldn't hum the tune outside of the part they play to finish off Avengers trailers. It's the only memorable part of the theme to me. At least I could remember the MoS theme.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Kids will decide that. I definitely think Wakanda theme, Inception horns and the Game of Thrones' theme will become iconic.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I vaguely remember this. I thought it was associated with Justice League.

It thematically could not be farther away from what I think about when I think of Wonder Woman. Purity, naivete, calm strength, honor.
Yeah, I don't get people parading the Wonder Woman theme as a superior contemporary. The only thought that comes to mind when I hear that theme is "warrior", but that's a very small portion of Diana's character.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's sort of iconic in its own way, but it doesn't rank up there with the likes of John Williams and whatnot. It's like a B-tier theme, the kind of thing a good number of people would recognize if you played it in public but lacks the cultural omnipresence of the truly iconic film themes.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of liars in this thread who need it to be a no so they can cling onto their classics and/or anti-MCU bias. But it continues to become iconic after every single movie.

And I'd say by Black Panther 2, BP's theme will as well.
The difference is iconic themes like Star Wars and Superman transcend the need to see them. People know those even if you have never seen them. Avengers? Unless you have seen them, you'll never even know it. Even if you had, many will forget it unless you remind them. It's nowhere near the same level as Williams' stuff. It has nothing to do with clinging to classics or bias.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Forget Superman and star wars themes. Just pick a random person on the streets and play the Avengers theme and this and ask them to recall the movie. The Avengers theme does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as these greats.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just passed by a place playing a danceable remix of the Avengers theme :v
So yeah.

It wasn't this one, but still.
Les dejo la cumbia del infinito :v

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm going to say yes, it is iconic. I don't think it's up there with some of Williams' best work, because I mean let's be real nothing is, but that's the closest poll option for me.

It's funny too because years ago, Every Frame a Painting released that video about how MCU music is forgettable, which soon because the opinion of everyone posting in MCU threads to tell everyone about how they don't like the MCU, and then Marvel was all like "that's nice, but now we're going to make you lose your goddamn shit by using 5 seconds of that one theme from 6 years ago in our trailer."

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
just realized this is the closest that anyone has come to star wars/batman/superman iconic in the last 30 years:

though having a celine dion banger version on the radio probably helped, which muddies things a bit. does circle of life count? a whole new world? let it go?

avengers and harry potter fall right below those

I would certainly put Potter above it, simply because it's not only very memorable, but was in 8 films across a decade. And by Williams, no less.

(By the way I always liked Patrick Doyle's more sinister redo for Goblet of Fire, made for the most memorable title sequence in the series)

Jurassic Park is well up there too, particularly with the Jurassic World films returning it to the public memory. Hey what do you know, another Williams.

Last edited:

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I would certainly put Potter above it, simply because it's not only very memorable, but was in 8 films across a decade. And by Williams, no less.

Jurassic Park is well up there too, particularly with the Jurassic World films returning it to the public memory. Hey what do you know, another Williams.

I feel this theme is even more iconic than HP and comes close to the other greats. I don't know anyone who watches Hollywood movies who does not know this theme..

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, the recency of Avengers makes it blasphemous to compare it to the likes of Star Wars and Superman, but come on people, see past your own nostalgia and whatever the opposite of recency bias is.

Nov 30, 2017
Well what makes theme iconic? The fact when we listen to it we recognize it right away?

In that case yes.

But if we have to sit there and hum it randomly, then no superhero theme is iconic because I don't sit there and randomly start humming any of them.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
It's pretty much recognizable, but the problem and the conflicted opinions, I think, are because we really don't have an Avengers theme. We have an Avengers leitmotif. Outside the small epic melody, there's not anything more. People in this thread stated that the start of the theme is strange, and it goes well when the 'theme' (the Avengers melody) kicks in. As a leitmotif it works amazingly great, it reminds us of the Avengers, uplifts great moments and let us associate it with the Avengers immediately. Also, in my opinion, they learned to use it much better in later movies.

That said, I think it can't compare with older themes because Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future, Willow, Naked Gun, Robin Hood, The Last of the Mohicans (saying pretty different movies) had all iconic themes from start to end. Avengers has a short iconic motif, but the movies didn't start with a long iconic full theme, so they went to the short recognizable melody. It's a good strategy, but it's hard to compare it to full blown themes.

And finally, to compare it to more 'modern' movies, I think that Gattaca, The Matrix, Cloud Atlas, Interstellar, LOTR, Up... have all more memorable themes. Don't get me wrong, probably nowadays the Avengers motif is more recognizable than all of them (outside maybe LOTR), but overall in my opinion they have all better full soundtrack themes.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
It was definitely used poorly in Age of Ultron. You hear shades of it during quieter moments (like when Tony tells the Avengers defending Earth from whatever sent the Chitauri is the real Endgame). And they tried to recreate the iconic rotating shot in Sokovia when the team defended the button that would send the asteroid hurtling toward Earth, but ultimately the best use of the song was during the credits, with the sculpture of the Avengers fighting Ultron off.

It's used in other films though; you hear it in Homecoming and Ant-Man, when Peter and Scott arrive at the Avengers HQ, for example. In the latter case, it was the first thing that signaled to the audience where Scott was about to infiltrate.

The Avengers theme is continually one of the loudest blaring themes I've heard in cinema, so, nah.
It's not about volume. This means the idea is they don't want you to realize you're listening to music but to have it subliminally effect your experience.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
It's trash really. Pretty bland epic score for such a tentpole series. It has recognition because we hear it so often. Put it in the dumpster next to the Catwoman soundtrack tbh

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
On the same level as Star Wars? Really? No!

Let's put it this way, how many people who HAVEN'T seen the movies know this theme?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Its more iconic than the superman theme for modern audiences

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta agree with the posts in this thread saying that WHEN I HEAR IT I think it's dope and it gets me stoked... But I can't really just play it in my brain out of nowhere.

So my answer is no, even though I vastly prefer the Avengers films over Superman and Batman.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I can't remember most of the Robocop theme, either (just that one part everyone knows), but that's still a classic theme.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen all the Avengers movies multiple times and I had to Google the theme song (video in OT is unavailable in my region). So no, I don't think it's iconic.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Well for almost two minutes of that link in the OP I didn't know what was going on until 1:53. That is the melody that I had in my head when I saw the thread title and at least that part of the theme is absolutely iconic.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is iconic themes like Star Wars and Superman transcend the need to see them. People know those even if you have never seen them. Avengers? Unless you have seen them, you'll never even know it. Even if you had, many will forget it unless you remind them. It's nowhere near the same level as Williams' stuff. It has nothing to do with clinging to classics or bias.

Those themes have been around for decades. The Avengers theme has been around for less than a decade.
Give the MCU another decade or two with the occasional $2 billion box office event Avengers movie. It's going to be just as well known.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if The Avengers theme is more well known to people under 25 than the Superman theme already.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
It's the most iconic theme in the MCU, though I guess that's not saying much. Kinda unfair to compare it to themes decades old.

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely recognizable, you instantly know what it's playing and what it means from the first 4 notes.

But man, it aint very good.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a really personal thing. Even for most of the pieces we consider "iconic" otherwise, it'll end up being a generational thing.

I know for me, someone who has grown up with the MCU, it's iconic. I can always remember it.

But it's not gonna be that for everyone.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely iconic now because it's been shoved down our throat. But it's a really bland tune IMO. But it's been getting a little better per iteration as they refine it more.