• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does the Avenger's theme rank among the most iconic movie themes?

• Yes

Votes: 638 42.6%
  • No

Votes: 688 45.9%
  • Not now but it will be

Votes: 172 11.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I would certainly put Potter above it, simply because it's not only very memorable, but was in 8 films across a decade. And by Williams, no less.

(By the way I always liked Patrick Doyle's more sinister redo for Goblet of Fire, made for the most memorable title sequence in the series)

Jurassic Park is well up there too, particularly with the Jurassic World films returning it to the public memory. Hey what do you know, another Williams.

the thing this movie series did the best was not getting considerably worse with more edginess

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Just for fun, I chatted up a few of my coworkers. 5 women, 3 in their 20's, one in her 30's, and one in her 50's. I know they've all seen several MCU movies; we've talked about them before. I didn't mention the Avengers, just asked them to hum iconic movie theme songs.

They covered most of the big ones. Star Wars right off the top, though they started with the Imperial March (we used to play it when our former boss came into meetings) before getting the main theme. Jaws next, then James Bond and Mission Impossible (which caught me off guard by sidetracking into playing Goldeneye in college from the young ones), Harry Potter, and Rocky. Then they stalled, so I started prompting. Jurassic Park? Yes. Indiana Jones, surprisingly, no, until I started to whistle it, then they joined in. Superman, nope. One of them said Batman, but no one could hum it. Then Spider-Man, but they meant "Spider-Man, Spider-Man, does whatever a spider can". Heh. Then they started naming TV theme songs, so I figured we were done. I asked "what about the Avengers?".

Nope. Complete blanks. The only response to that was "I didn't know it had one". I tried to play it on my phone - from this thread - but the video came up "unavailable", so I missed the chance to see if they recognized it at least.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I like it, but it took all the Infinity War trailers to burn it into my brain, so no (didn't remember it during Avengers 1). I think if a theme is good and placed well, I'll remember it immediately after 1 movie, like Nolan's Batman trilogy.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Couldn't remember it until I clicked the link. I can definitely remember both the Spider-Man and (obviously) a lot of Star Wars themes.

I think it's pretty good as far as modern movie themes goes (where most are impossible to remember), but I don't think it's as iconic as SW or Spider-Man. In my opinion, obviously.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
It's the most iconic theme in the MCU, though I guess that's not saying much. Kinda unfair to compare it to themes decades old.

Is it unfair? The Pirates of the Caribbean theme was instantely iconic. We have had the Avengers theme for 7 years already. I mean, the theme is decent, but it's mostly recognizable because it's in the biggest movie franchise right now, not because it's so great it transcends the movie.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So I don't know if I would put it up against Superman or Star Wars. Maybe the next rung down... Similar to the Jurassic Park theme. Casual people won't know it immediately on sound alone but anyone who claims to be a pop culture nerd should know it pretty quickly at this point

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I never really loved the whole theme, but I fucking adore the various remixes of "the good part" in all the movies and trailers

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not super melodic so I don't think it's anywhere near as recognizable as Williams's tunes. It's good for what it is though.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I saw antman and the wasp a few months ago. The entire original soundtrack of that movie is a dozen variations on a two note melody. Yes a two note melody that plays over and over again. crap movie with shit music.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember what the theme sounds like, and even after having listened to it on the first page I can't hum the theme tune or actually remember what it's like, so I'd say it's forgettable long before I'd ever say it's iconic (let alone iconic to the level of the Star Wars tracks).

EDIT:

I Don't understand people who say they don't recognise it... especially the main bit. Marvel use it all the time.

Thor's entrance

Avenger's circle

Infinity War trailer

Endgame trailer

Infinity War credits
https://youtu.be/ljYKrdUP9gY?t=140

The Avengers credits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxN2IsLbZqo

A lot of iconic motifs happen because they've been shoved down our throats for years. Marvel are doing a good job so far

Because even though it's been used a lot and I can identify the track when it's playing, it isn't memorable enough to stay with me outside of the twenty seconds the few notes play for. I've not seen Forrest Gump in years (and I use it as an example specifically because I don't view that as a theme that's been 'shoved down my throat'), but I can still summon the Forrest Gump theme to mind and hum it because I find it a memorable piece of music.

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I Don't understand people who say they don't recognise it... especially the main bit. Marvel use it all the time.

Thor's entrance

Avenger's circle

Infinity War trailer

Endgame trailer

Infinity War credits
https://youtu.be/ljYKrdUP9gY?t=140

The Avengers credits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxN2IsLbZqo

A lot of iconic motifs happen because they've been shoved down our throats for years. Marvel are doing a good job so far

Yeah seriously, it's so iconic, even my dad would know about it and he watched like half of the avenger movie

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
It's really well done and Alan is a master that people have forgotten about.
But against Williams and Elfman?
Nah, his BTTF and Predator scores are however up there.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I think it is. Or at least will be. I'm sure Superman and Star Wars didn't instantly feel iconic at the time.

The MCU is absolutely this generations Star Wars, kids now will be posting angry opinions about it on VR message boards in 30 years.

Oct 25, 2017
It's recognizable, but as a piece of music it's simply not up there with the best themes that stand alone. As for pop culture influence, I guess we'll see.

Frankly I think Silvestri is a B-tier composer most of the time. He's the guy you get when you just want competence. In terms of stuff he's written that has staying power, I feel like the only major contender is BTTF.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must have heard it dozens of times yet couldn't hum a note.

Because it's not memorable.

That's a you problem, and it's hardly indicative of the masses.

Though I suspect a ton of you couldn't reliably hum any tune, which makes your inability to do so here irrelevant. That's not an insult, either. A ton of people recognize classic scores when you play it, but I doubt most could replicate it themselves on command lol

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I feel it's "iconic" because Marvel kept pushing it as the "theme of the Avengers"

IMO as an individual piece of music, it's pretty bland

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
that's the avengers theme? thought it was some generic something's happening music.

Oct 28, 2017
It's recognizable, but as a piece of music it's simply not up there with the best themes that stand alone. As for pop culture influence, I guess we'll see.

Frankly I think Silvestri is a B-tier composer most of the time. He's the guy you get when you just want competence. In terms of stuff he's written that has staying power, I feel like the only major contender is BTTF.

Agreed, but his The Abyss score is underrated.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Half of those iconic Avengers / Infinity War moments wouldn't have been as iconic if it weren't for the theme. Infinity War / Endgame trailers go in so hard thanks to the theme (which Ultron incidentally never opted to use and had an even more unmemorable score overall), Thor landing on Wakanda, or even the extremely somber piano rendition in IW's credits wouldn't be such effective moments if the theme didn't mean something to the current generation of moviegoers.

The melody gets people pumped, it's got that tinge of silver age flavor to it that perfectly conveys what the Avengers is all about. Walking out of the theaters the theme kept sticking with me because it perfectly encapsulated how monumental of a movie it felt at the time. Hell I saw random YouTube videos referencing the theme only months after the movie's cinematic run had ended just cause at the time it was the go-to "heroic" theme everyone seemed to think of.

You might not care for it, but it's iconic. It might not be to the extent of "will occasionally pop up in some kind of blockbuster satire" or whatever like Superman's theme given how it's comparatively still fresh, but it'll probably get there eventually as well.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even imagine the theme in my head, so that's going to have to be a no. It's remarkable how bland Marvel's musical output is but I suppose that's part of the broader trend of movie music.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Theres no inbetween option, so i vote no but it will, but i dont think its exactly what i think.

Is somewhat iconic, but it doesnt touch, even from afar, truly iconic themes of john williams. I think the sam raimi's spiderman is the most near weve got to super iconic again.

Marvel and DC (dc being worse) has been doing mediocre non iconic osts for their majorities of their movies. And im not a fan of wonder womans theme as much as some peope on era love it. And this is where we get, i found the avengers theme the most memorable of modern movies, but its not a home run.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
It's not bad but it's no Star Wars, that's for sure.
Hell, it's not even as good as the 90's X-Men and Spiderman cartoons.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the films? Maybe. As a general pop culture icon? Absolutely not. What makes iconic themes like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, PotC etc. is not their appearances in the films, but outside them, in reviews, news coverage, and other random appearances that are so common that they can be recognized by someone who hasn't even seen the movies they're from. And as someone who's never seen any of the modern Marvel movies, I think the first Ant-Man was the most recent one I've seen, I had never heard the theme before coming into this thread.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Another example I really don't think gets its due enough is the Guardians of the Galaxy theme, which is just as recognizable to me (though it sounds somewhat similar to the Avenger's); the scene that really cemented it in my head forever was the iteration of it playing in "Black Tears" from the first film, when Quill and the team share the power of the Power Stone. It's beautifully shot, memorable as hell, and the score perfectly backs it. It plays loudly there and during the Kyln escape, as well as a few other moments across both films. I regret that it didn't get used in Infinity War at all.

My man. Guardians of the Galaxy's score was fantastic. James Gunn framed so many scenes so perfectly for the music to stick out. If Endgame's final confrontation is anywhere near as perfectly staged as Guardians, it'll be the GOAT.

Really hope they bring back Tyler Bates for Guardians 3.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's iconic, people here pretending it isn't are just silly. And it'll become even more iconic as the MCU continues.

Dec 22, 2017
Of course the theme is not as recognizable as a movie someone watched on VHS 100 times as a kid because there was nothing else to do. But the theme is still iconic and in 20 years will be as well known.

Marvel brings out the "no, it's the children who are wrong" like nothing else. This thread reminds me of the throngs of people saying it was literally impossible for Infinity War to have a bigger opening weekend than Force Awakens. People are either in denial or are oblivious about how massively huge these movies are. Marvel IS pop culture.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
That's a you problem, and it's hardly indicative of the masses.

Though I suspect a ton of you couldn't reliably hum any tune, which makes your inability to do so here irrelevant. That's not an insult, either. A ton of people recognize classic scores when you play it, but I doubt most could replicate it themselves on command lol
This is what I feel like as well.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I guess it's not for me. I've seen a couple of Avengers movies and I've been exposed to copious amounts of Avengers trailers, but if you'd have told me the theme in the OP was a new piece of music that I've never heard before, I'd have believed it. It's the type of theme I'd expect in some licensed James Bond video game that lost their license late in development.