• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Compared to some of the garbage that came afterward, its a goddamn masterpiece.

Still pretty meh, though. Not Pocohontas levels of shit, but just meh.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love it. No, it's not the best or most complicate or well-told of the Disney films... but it hits all the right beats for me, it's got stunning animation, love the soundtrack, the action is some of the best put to animation, and I enjoy the characters immensely.
PitifulBrilliantGrouper-size_restricted.gif

ddj8khy-c0cdcc8c-9af5-47b5-883b-181736e80a55.gif

It has a SHOCKINGLY high body count of important characters too...

Jane's a ton of fun as a love interest too.
38f12e1b31629be1fff1082378aae4da.gif

844787d0b06f816c6c3d0c911dfa60349ae88ef3r1-357-200_hq.gif

I'd probably put it in my top 5, actually. It earns its spot alongside Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Mulan, and Aladdin.
I like this post.

Oct 29, 2017
As others have said, it is Glen Keane at his very best, but the budget was also huge, so probably the best animation Disney did in the 90s.

It has at least some merit on visuals alone. Atlantis does too.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Compared to the rest specifically compared to The Jungle Book.

I should watch Tarzan again though (I should do that tonight since I have Disney+ now) - I still liked it lol.
You're telling me TJB has more better music and characters? You have to be cappin' or don't remember it much. Baloo and Mowgli stand out no doubt, and Bear Necessities is great, but Tarzan has multiple great characters and every song is a hit, not just a one hit wonder. Not to mention the weird pacing issues of TJB.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I really do like Tarzan. It's not my fave (probably mid-upper kind of placement), but it's really good, I looooove the animation (Glen Keane šŸ˜), and I really like the music, most of the characters (could lose Terk lol, but I like the neurotic elephant), and Clayton is a great villain, with one of the craziest villain deaths in a Disney film (the fact that they show him swinging...).

Just on the subject of animation, this is honestly one of my fave shots in the film. I don't think I've ever seen a Disney character so realistically IN LOVE. Tarzan's face, man. Get yourself a man who will look at you like he's looking at Jane here.

tumblr_n8qy46dAuU1r462vpo2_500.gifv

Oct 29, 2017
I genuinely love the whole sequence where they teach Tarzan about the modern world and he stops in amazement when he sees the planets.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Literally one of my favorites. Just below lion king, Aladdin, and Mulan for me.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was one of my favorites and the soundtrack is great.

I got my dad to get me the 20th anniversary pin at Disney World when he visited Orlando for a conference last year.

s-l400.jpg

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It's not a classic, but it's still a good flick. It's only considered average when comparing it to other Fisney films of that time and even then it has some pretty amazing animation and music.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely the best of the post lion King Renaissance-cool down era. And I would say the art/animation is better and more consistent than any of the early 90s masterpieces.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a movie that has a lot going for it, but it falls short of greatness. I think the problem is that while the human characters are generally quite charismatic, the animal characters are pretty much all mediocre, and many of the film's biggest emotional beats rely on those characters.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mediocre, like a lot of post TLK Disney movies of that era.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a interesting piece of trivia for the film. You know the famous Tarzan yell?

Well, it wasn't actually done by the actor who did the voice for Tarzan in the film (Tony Goldwyn). It was done by Brian Blessed, who played the movie's villain, Clayton. According to Blessed, Tony Goldwyn just straight-up couldn't do the yell convincingly at all, so he told Disney he could do it (he's a classically trained singer/actor and had the pipes for it).

Here's Blessed telling the story:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think it's decently solid, but I wouldn't call it forgettable. For some reason it's the last of the renaissance movies that easily come to mind, I kinda group L&S/Emperor's New Groove together as movies that are really good but I always forget about for some reason.