• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is The Goonies appropriate for a 6-year-old to watch?

• Yes

Votes: 248 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 60 19.5%

• Total voters

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I say yes. My wife says no.

So settle a bet Era.

giphy.gif

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Only if you don't mind the swearing. Beyond that, kids won't understand the mature jokes.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
its got its issues but as long as you can tell ur kid "just remember, dont bully fat kids" and whatnot it should be ok

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
6? Nah. I'd wait until like 9 or 10, but then again I grew up at a slow pace as an only child with fairly strict parents.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Anything in the movie that is inappropriate is going to go right over a child's head. it's perfect for kids that age because it's a wonderful story of children having an adventure that they can put themselves in the character shoes

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
You should be on Terminator 2 at this point

I'm at least 45% serious

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
The first couple of minutes with the bad guys may be a little intense. Can't remember if they kill anyone during the escape. Other than that it's fine IMO.

Oct 25, 2017
Couple of bits that are intense and sloth might be a bit scary at first but overall I think the kid should be OK.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but then again when I was six years old I had already watched Terminator, Robocop and Child's Play so what do I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
I first saw it when I was 4 or 5 and it's become one of my favorite movies ever. It has a few questionable scenes such as a dead guy with a bullet hole in his head falling on chunk in the freezer but overall I thinks it's appropriate for a 6 year old.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I think I was 5 or maybe even 4 four when I saw it for the first time. I loved it.

I don't see why a 6 year old couldn't handle it.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should be fine. The more adult Humor that can appear is done in such a way to go right over kids heads. Its a good family movie that can be enjoyed by young and old

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Bondage joke from Mouth.
Statue's penis breaks off.
Pervy jock checking out panties.
More swearing than you remember.
A STIIIIIIFF!
But yeah, they'll be fine.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Also Robocop, Terminator and Aliens.

These are definitely kids movies as they all had toy lines in the 80s.

Jarate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the kid honestly. there might be stuff the scares him in it, but I dont remember there being anything explicit

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I was kind of freaked out by the monster guy as a kid, I forget how old I was. The initial scenes with him are pretty scary?

Though, ET also freaked me out as a kid because he's so creepy looking and sounding, maybe I was soft.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Would your kid be scared of Sinok? If not, go for it. That's a legendary movie.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Why does Chunk get to decide without consulting his parents that a large strange male adult is going to be living with them?

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
my family watches this several times a year starting a few years ago. my son is now 6. hell yeah.

andy, you goonie!!!!

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Yes. It's 2019, he'll know way more than the Goonies will teach him before he's 10 years old. This isn't the 1980s anymore, lol.