• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is The Goonies appropriate for a 6-year-old to watch?

• Yes

Votes: 248 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 60 19.5%

• Total voters

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always get irritated by old ass people telling young people how soft and weak they are but sometimes it's true tho

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Yes, raise them like it's the 80s.

Acknowledgment.gif
Agree with this 100%

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the stiff in the freezer/trunk is pretty creepy but otherwise I say go for it. This movie was so incredible to watch as a kid. All those great practical sets and traps. I bet this exists in some form in a water park somewhere but kid me would've gone apeshit being able to swim in that underground lagoon and explore that ship. Uncharted 4 has its issues but I loved the final-ish area due to recreating that sort of environment and feel of discovery of a long lost pirate ship so well.

Also this thread makes me wanna take another trip to Cannon Beach.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shit depends on kid to kid

I think I was watching it by then, but I was oblivious kid who missed marijuana jokes and fake suicides

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that anything that is kinda inappropriate will go over a kids head anyway. Theres maybe some swearing but it's not like an f bomb or something.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah it's fine. Any of the few "adult" jokes will go over their head and then in ten years when they watch it again they can go "holy crap I totally didn't get that" like the rest of us

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If my 3 year old has seen all the Marvel movies, I would hazard to guess that the Goonies is A-OK for anyone who isn't trying to damage their child with over-parenting.

Oct 25, 2017
The swearing is kind of excessive honestly. If you don't care about that then it's kind of whatever. Adult jokes will go over their head.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
we used to watch these things with our parents, so if we got scared or anything, they were right there with us. So that whole Parental Guidance suggested thing should cover it. Unless you're using tv as a babysitter.
In which case, switch over to Sesame Street, please.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I remember being terrified of that movie around that age. I remembering it playing on TV once and I ran off and hid in the bathroom until it was over.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not that its horribly inappropriate, it's that 6 is way too young to form an emotional connection to that movie. Give it 2-3 years and give your kid time to grow in to the 80s classics so they'll actually enjoy them.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sure go for it. I mean, hell, I watched RoboCop when I was around that age and I turned out just fi- actually you know what it might behoove you to listen to the wife on this one.

But nah seriously, it should be fine.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe I'm a bad parent, but my 7 year old knows the wanted level down code in gta 5 by heart. So yes, goonies is no problem.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anything in the movie that is inappropriate is going to go right over a child's head. it's perfect for kids that age because it's a wonderful story of children having an adventure that they can put themselves in the character shoes
Dead on. We let our 5 year old watch it and he fell in love with the movie for this exact reason. He also thought this these lines were the funniest thing ever
Elgin Perkins : Is your mommy here?

Brandon Walsh :No, actually she's out at the market buying Pampers for all us kids.

Jun 17, 2019
I would say depends on the child and how easy they get scared by things.

If we're going down the route of old movies of Goonies, then Monster squad (though wait till the kid is like 8 to 12 because that one is way more violent at points) and Little Monsters, though it's weird and may scare them if they're scared of monsters under the bed.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is fine. They'll initially be scared of a certain character but will learn an important lesson.

As a grown up re-watching it, the ending is genuinely laugh out loud incredible.

Then follow straight up with neverending story, dark crystal and watership down and fuck them right up.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
6 is pretty young, but id say old enough for that if they dont scare easily

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
I saw Aliens at 6, so yeah Goonies at the same age is fine. It's a fun movie.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Can't remember if I was still 6 when I watched it for the first time, but I definitely did when I was 7.

When I was 8 I was watching things like Temple of Doom that are obviously a lot scarier.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Watched it with my son when he was five and he loved it. Talking with your kid and making sure they understand (really understand) the difference between fantasy and reality also goes a long way.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Yeah sure go for it. I mean, hell, I watched RoboCop when I was around that age and I turned out just fi- actually you know what it might behoove you to listen to the wife on this one.

But nah seriously, it should be fine.

"Santa" brought me Terminator 2 the Christmas it came out on VHS so I was 5 going on 6 in January. I think I turned out perfectly fine.