• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is "The Meg" a Kaiju movie?

• Yep.

Votes: 71 31.4%
  • Nope.

Votes: 155 68.6%

• Total voters

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
meg_griffin__family_guy__09_by_frasier_and_niles-d90u11f.jpg

????

To be honest, I thought the title "The Meg" was stupid because it made me think of her, more specifically her appearance as the asteroid monster in Something Something Something Dark Side.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
At what size does it shift from real prehistoric creatures to giant movie monster? Because the shark in the trailer definitely isn't aiming for "real prehistoric creature". The real Megalodon was maybe about 60ft long, the one in the movie is movie-monster size
meg-20th-anniversary.jpg

The promo art is sensationalizing the size of the animal; It's not that big in the actual movie

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
I don't get the kaiju feel from the movie at all. The monster is just there so the characters can bounce themselves of if it's actions. A recent movie if felt that captured the kaiju spirit was Colossus.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it fights a giant octopus at one point in the trailer. I wonder if there'll be other giant sea monsters in it.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought of it more as an Evil Dead version of Jaws. Like what Evil dead did to the zombie genre with the campiness and comedy and over the topness.

Oct 25, 2017
I know the word "Kaiju" existed before Pacific Rim, but its constant appearance since then bothers me for stupid reasons. Anyway, something tells me this movie is going to be too self-serious exciting or too self-aware to be funny, and will be a blip.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
I saw The Meg tonight. It is a weird movie. I can't say I didn't have some fun with it but some parts are wonky as hell and the editing is all over the place. Really oddly delivered funny bits too but honestly really decent special effects.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the word "Kaiju" existed before Pacific Rim, but its constant appearance since then bothers me for stupid reasons. Anyway, something tells me this movie is going to be too self-serious exciting or too self-aware to be funny, and will be a blip.
Faster than "Giant Monster Movie" (vs Monster Movie, to clear confusion between horror films) and Tokusatsu has become a specific style of film making.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ive thought about this off and on today and the best I can get to is "kaiju adjacent".

But I wouldn't really argue with someone calling it kaiju.