• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
11QWhIZ.jpg

Until now, the only way to add friends on Nintendo Switch is using their numeric friend code (and social media). This is because the system allows users to freely change their username, displayed in games, at any time, how many times they want.

However, an interesting detail in today's Splatoon 3 video is that now players also have a 4 digit numeric code with their username. Lots of platforms (like Discord) use this system to allow users to change their names freely while still allowing to add friends by their name + 4 digit code.

Splatoon 1 and 2 have used the native friend system of the console, they don't have a separate in-game friend management system and I really doubt that's going to change with the new entry. So could this mean that Nintendo is planning to introduce a revamp of the Switch friend system this year?

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I really, really hope so. Friend codes are super way out of date and silly.
Would be great if this came with a substantial system update that just let you do things through the system UI with your buds

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Pretty firm no.

This is some sort of rank in-game probably.

btw, friend codes are good because they're faster to enter than most usernames.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
I think it's just a thing to customise. You'll get to choose a 4 digit number to put on the card. If it was a rank they wouldn't all be 4 digits. It's unnecessary for a friend system and would be weird to be on an in-game thing like that.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just a thing to customise. You'll get to choose a 4 digit number to put on the card. If it was a rank they wouldn't all be 4 digits. It's unnecessary for a friend system and would be weird to be on an in-game thing like that.
Battlenet, Discord and MS now use the #XXXX system for friends, it's not uncommon at all

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
So you think they're going to replace the friend code with a shorter friend code? Don't really see the point.

Also you can add friends by just selecting someone you played with and sending a request. No code needed.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Call me when they completely do away with FCs. And no, they're not good, they're terrible and have been for years.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm puzzled by that as well. Discord's system is the best option out there but it would be strange to change to that years into the system's life, presumably they would have to update a ton of games to make them compatible. It's also so small and out of the way that it doesn't seem like something that important. I doubt it's a ranking system thing, mostly because I have no clue what it would be ranking. If there was a namecard without a number I would have said it was definitely a user customizable number but since they all have numbers that seems less likely to me.

The Southpaw Champ title is interesting, will they give you the option to be left-handed in this game?

Stephanie needs to get with the times and get a cool or punny username

Man o' Wardrobe is such a good name for a clothing store run by a jellyfish. We've had Jelonzo and Jelfonzo, who will run the store next, Jelfonnie? The Jelfonz? Jelfonia?

Big Money Man-o'-Wardrobe Regular definitely involves spending money there. This might be the second level of this title.
Faithful C-Side Superfan might indicate music can be purchased somehow, that or it's just about playing X number of matches with their music playing.
Southpaw Champ title is interesting, will they give you the option to be left-handed in this game? Maybe Splatsville will have a Leftorium store?
Third-Gen Ringleader. I'd bet this involves using all of the special weapons, which are the third generation of them.
Clocked-Out Turf Warrior- This almost makes me think there might be overtime for turf war if it appears in ranked. Almost. It's probably something else though
Inkless Office Drone- ?
Splatsville's Fasionista- Own x number of clothing items
Attention Seeking Bass Dropper- Use the Wail 5.1 x number of times

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Could be a splatoon only friends system. There was already the ability to add rivals and stuff before right?

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Battlenet, Discord and MS now use the #XXXX system for friends, it's not uncommon at all
I know, I mean it's unnecessary and weird to tack onto Nintendo's current system (should've said "the" instead of "a". It doesn't add anything to what they've already got and is just an extra complication, especially with how it's displayed there. Doesn't make any sense.

Why display it in Splatoon 3 if that's what it's for? If I wanted to add you after playing with you in Splatoon I'd just go into my recent players. I wouldn't search for wwm0nkey#3876. If Nintendo add numbers then it either won't be displayed in games or will be displayed directly after the username, not in a separate place.

Last edited:

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I never understood the hate for friend codes, and I don't see how this new system could be an upgrade.

Typing usernames like "S3phir0thDarKAngel368Xx" or typing the 12 numbers of a friend code seems about the same work.

Oct 27, 2017
It might just be the tag number since each of those "name plates" is unique
Also, you can add friends who connect their accounts to FB or Twitter, so it's not just friend codes

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nope! Everything will be the same.

This might be for their internal tracking for data and player performance overall. Plus people freely change their display names just for memeing overall in-game.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty firm no.

It could be some kind of ranking... The two teams # averages are not thaaaat far apart. It's 2210 to 2358, which is kinda in the range of Splatfest power differences. Maybe it's some kind of Turf matchmaking thing that is also affected by weapon comps.

I dunno why an ID# would be so important to appear in the name plate. Maybe for friend requests, but you can do that through the Switch menu anyway.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
uh the friend code system is basically already the discord/bnet/etc system lol except instead of using a username with numbers, you have an ID that is numbers and then can choose any name you want

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood the hate for friend codes, and I don't see how this new system could be an upgrade.

Typing usernames like "S3phir0thDarKAngel368Xx" or typing the 12 numbers of a friend code seems about the same work.
It's just convenience. How many of people you wanna be friends with actually have such convoluted usernames? And at least S3phir0thDarKAngel368Xx would be able to tell you his username from memory, so no one needs to look anything up.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Pretty firm no.

This is what I'm thinking as well. But, not like rankings.

In Pokemon Sword and Shield, whenever you participate in an online tournament, and you begin facing off, there is a cutscene where it shows an animation of you and your opponent's trainer cards. On each of the trainer cards, it shows the # followed by a 3-digit number.

This is what I think the Splatoon 3 #ID is used for, to distinguish your nickname from other duplicate nicknames. The reason is because the Splatoon player's nickname has a max length that's usually 12 characters long. It's pretty easy to have clashing, duplicate nicknames.

You still need to use the already established Nintendo Switch Online Friend Codes to be able to communicate with others in a private group match-up.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
This is what I'm thinking as well. But, not like rankings.

In Pokemon Sword and Shield, whenever you participate in an online tournament, and you begin facing off, there is a cutscene where it shows an animation of you and your opponent's trainer cards. On each of the trainer cards, it shows the # followed by a 3-digit number.

This is what I think the Splatoon 3 #ID is used for, to distinguish your nickname from other duplicate nicknames. The reason is because the Splatoon player's nickname has a max length that's usually 12 characters long. It's pretty easy to have clashing, duplicate nicknames.

You still need to use the already established Nintendo Switch Online Friend Codes to be able to communicate with others in a private group match-up.
ah right, yea that makes even more sense. forgot about this unique player id

I don't know, I think I'd rather search for "xLightninBoltzZx" than "20374028474028."
I'll add like 3-4 people by the time you finished putting in that username.

the beauty of entering a 12 digit code that consists of only a numpad layout of digits is that it's lightning fast to enter any string and chunks of 4 are also fairly easy keep in your head as you read it from wherever you got it from.

the only real advantage normal usernames have is that you can just remember them. but I never run into someone on the street who tells me their gamertag. it's always some text-based communication anyhow. if you verbally give people your names more often than not then that's better for you, naturally.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
yeah.....nah

must be some in-game ranking or a UID system.

it is a shame tho, one of the things I detest about Friend Codes is that it's so unnecessarily long

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
people who complain about friend codes seem like they've never used an actual cellphone in their life.

Oct 22, 2019
For what it's worth, I think OP is correct.

The "rankings" explanation doesn't make sense, in that every one of them in the screen shot is exactly four digits long. That's too unlikely to happen by random chance.

There's not much else it could be, other than a new username system. I agree with OP that I don't think Nintendo would create a separate system just for one game, so it is probably a forthcoming change at the operating system level. I think the new type of friend ID will be added as an additional option to the existing system, not as a replacement for any of the existing methods. (There are already multiple ways to add a friend: using a friend code; linking two systems over local wireless; importing from 3DS, Wii U, and certain mobile games; and possibly others I'm forgetting.)

Time will tell, but I think we will see that OP is interpreting this screen shot correctly.

This should not be a thread about whether you like or hate friend codes. It's either going to happen, or it's not, regardless of how you feel about it.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not 2011 any more, friend codes are no longer on a per game basis, its ok.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Really wish someone would explain how system-wide friend codes are supposed to be bad, like compared to what? What am I missing here? What's the sexy new alternative that shows I'm living in Plato's cave or whatever?

BobbyB

Aug 18, 2021
Really wish someone would explain how system-wide friend codes are supposed to be bad, like compared to what? What am I missing here? What's the sexy new alternative that shows I'm living in Plato's cave or whatever?

I guess saying I'm sniperzXdude2187 is easier than a 12 digit code or whatever.
Personally I prefer friend codes since my user name can be whatever I want it to be it doesn't have to be something that 100 million people haven't already taken

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty firm no.

But almost no one has their FC memorized. Who cares if it saves you five seconds to type it in if you have to look it up every time. In the end it still takes even longer.

That's even beyond mentioning that what you said prob isn't that accurate. Most usernames I have in my friends lists are less than 13 letters.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Why are you saying new? PSN and Xbox Live don't have friend codes. Steam doesn't have friend codes. The Wii U didn't have friend codes.

people who complain about friend codes seem like they've never used an actual cellphone in their life.
The comparison to friend codes is one of my go to criticism for WhatsApp (and other messaging apps that require them) as the default messaging app. People hate friend codes on consoles but then as soon as they're on phones they're ok? Absolutely mad.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
How about letting me look people up by either FC or username? Based on my XBL and PSN lists, the chances I'm gonna run into xxxXxxxS3ph1r0thxxxXxxx are very slim.
Also, chances are someone is a lot more likely to remember their username than their FC. If someone wants to add me it's much easier to tell them it's HardRojo than remember whatever FC I got.
Defending FCs as they currently exist is weird tbh.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can literally just tell someone or write down my username on a sheet of paper. If I meet someone and want to add them to my friends list, I have to turn my console on, go to my profile, find my code, and write/type the code in. I could also pre-emptively have the code typed up in a document and saved somewhere convenient, but that's still an extra step that I wouldn't need if I could just give someone a username that I always use and can just tell them what it is on the spot.

Friend codes are stupid. Always have been, always will be.

This should not be a thread about whether you like or hate friend codes.
I'm sorry.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
How about letting me look people up by either FC or username? Based on my XBL and PSN lists, the chances I'm gonna run into xxxXxxxS3ph1r0thxxxXxxx are very slim.
Also, chances are someone is a lot more likely to remember their username than their FC. If someone wants to add me it's much easier to tell them it's HardRojo than remember whatever FC I got.
Defending FCs as they currently exist is weird tbh.

once you run into 50 Steves, you'll need the FC to tell who's the one you're looking for anyway.

also, it's fun how the cellphone part was ignored completely. how do you add people in phones anyway?
i've added people using their cellphone number my whole life. maybe that's why FCs come naturally to me since it's like a phone number and the rest of the information comes up after adding the person, just like on a phone.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
once you run into 50 Steves, you'll need the FC to tell who's the one you're looking for anyway.

also, it's fun how the cellphone part was ignored completely. how do you add people in phones anyway?
i've added people using their cellphone number my whole life. maybe that's why FCs come naturally to me since it's like a phone number and the rest of the information comes up after adding the person, just like on a phone.
Why are you comparing phone numbers to a whole different system Ike friend lists, which plenty of competitors in the videogame market already have a solution for?
Again, checking my XBL and PSN lists, the chances of running into Steve01 and Steve02 are pretty thin. Just look at usernames on Era, they're very easy to tell apart.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

We need less numbers to keep track of, not more. Phone numbers, addresses, social security numbers, essential numbers for basic living are usually long-lasting and far more important to keep track of. I can memorize a 7-digit phone number (I have to). I'm not going to even attempt to memorize a 12-digit number that's gonna be obsolete when the next console comes out.

Last edited:

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Why are you comparing phone numbers to a whole different system Ike friend lists, which plenty of competitors in the videogame market already have a solution for?
Again, checking my XBL and PSN lists, the chances of running into Steve01 and Steve02 are pretty thin. Just look at usernames on Era, they're very easy to tell apart.

i guess it comes down to preference in the end.

i far prefer to have the ability to change my username whenever i want for free than having to deal with someone else taking the name i want and having to come up with a variant with some numbers that can't even be changed when i want.

having to check the usernames for their exact spelling is almost the same as having to check the friend code when giving it to someone else usually.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
Why are you saying new? PSN and Xbox Live don't have friend codes. Steam doesn't have friend codes. The Wii U didn't have friend codes.
A few people here said friend codes are bad outdated, so I figured maybe they're referring to something newer and better. I may have missed something, but the posts I've seen here that view friend codes negatively don't elaborate as to why they're bad.

I should add that I don't have PSN, Xbox Live, nor do I use Steam, so I have no real comparison beyond, say, adding a person's phone number to my phone, etc, which really isn't any different from a friend code. Plus, Nintendo also lets you add people you've played with, people on linked social media, and carry over from Wii U/3DS, so I'm struggling to see what the problem is.