• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
https3a2f2fapptriggere8k2p.jpg

I've recently dipped my foot into Pokemon cards. Not keen on what's going on with the current market but just wanted some cards to make a deck and to play either with friends or online. Not knowing how to play, I was told that the Pokemon Online TCG game is a good way to get a bit acclimated. So I did just that and have to say the chosen Art Style for the game is still throwing me off.

Now I want to state that I don't think whoever had to draw this did a bad job, it was likely what they were told to go for. But the contrast of the Pokemon Brand with the style I can't help but feel clashes with one another. When you think pokemon you think of something slightly more "anime". While it definitely doesn't need to be that (Numerous Pokemon cards forego that style and look great) I do think something more in-line with the brand would be a better call to get more players online.

tcgo_faq_169_en.jpg

-------------------

As a comparison here's Magic Arena. Which is the most recent incarnation of the popular TCG that's playable online.

Diesel%2Fblog%2Fmtga-starter-guide%2FEGS_WOTC_G2_7-1920x1080-6a57e1e277cb9115791be27877342da6c49f850e.jpg

Diesel%2Fproductv2%2Fmtg-arena%2FEGS_WOTC_G2_2-1920x1080-4b2a5b0cfcbd99da963ac319cfebfd95f0483ea3.png

This game uses the already established style of the brand and feels more at home because of it. While you're unable to make your own personal avatar (One aspect of Pokemon TCG I think is a positive, even if limited) everything is nicely placed and it feels like a an actual Magic product. While Pokemon sometimes comes across as playing the Tabletop Simulator version of the game.

------------------

I don't want to come across as harping on Pokemon, as the game works just fine and it's still fun. But with the recent surge in Pokemon TCG popularity, I would be rather interested in seeing the art style change to something that's a better representation of the Pokemon brand while keeping the positive features such as personal avatars. I feel like such a move would draw in more interest from players across the board.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I have no idea why they never pushed for a phone client - this could have been massive online.

Specifically the ability to play in a Premade Deck queue to earn rewards was an excellent idea. Very newcomer friendly.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My friends and I got really into the TCG a while back, but playing in person became pretty difficult. We wanted to do TCG online, but yeah, the art style doesn't do it for us. It just doesn't quite work.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's certainly not the worst art style to come out of the Pokemon TCG games....

maxresdefault.jpg

dby0pwe-8c7bba24-7f3c-4cad-9e33-e7219954bb9f.jpg

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I play it quite a bit. It needs a phone app, updated artstyle, and probably a Steam release.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think most people know it exists. The interface is generally the problem, too.

OGlol

Jun 4, 2018
card art is great, i assume the art style of the online game is because of its target audience.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty bad. I don't mind going western, or flash-toony, but that just looks bad.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
It is absolutely awful. Putting this next to Cafe Mix or Masters makes it even worse. I don't know how you take a franchise with such potential for awesome character design and go with this.

pokemon-cafe-mix-switch-hero.jpg

pokemon-masters-ex-169.jpg

I do think it's a factor though the poor performance and interface are a large part of it too. I've tried getting back into it after quitting a long time ago and I just can't do it as a standalone game. It worked almost serviceably when I was just using it as practice for the real thing but it's just such a pain in the ass to trade and battle.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I only recently learned about the online TCG and its horrible art when I was looking into different CCGs to play with a friend online. I have to say, the whole aesthetic of the program probably did knock Pokemon out of the running. On the other hand, it gives me a weird nostalgia for the 1999 internet.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I was really into it for a month a couple of years ago and I thought the characters where absolute garbage. But if I remember correctly you barely see them anyway, don't you? So yeah it sucks anyway.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
that artstyle looks like it was made for elementary aged children. i remember flash games with similar artstyles when i was growing up

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a 90s flash game for whatever reason.

I will say another flaw is that it's a poor digitalization of the card game. Look how cluttered the UI is. There's no reason to display the entire card on the board as opposed to just a picture or icon. It is too faithful to the IRL experience instead of implementing conveniences you'd find in a video game. This results in games moving way too slowly which killed my interest in it.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
What is this abomination???
It was a Windows game that came with a few specific TCG starter decks back around the Base-Fossil era, you had a series of interactive tutorials for newcomers, some more in depth challenge matches using pre-built decks, a deck builder and some other stuff.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A friend used to gift me his digital codes for this and I got really into it around 2015, it was fun, and the tutorial really works in letting you learn how to play.

Art-style sucks, lol, they really should update it by now. At least make it like Pokémon Go.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty bad. And along with the art is has a pretty clunky UI. I really thought sometime in the last good bit they'd have updated it some to try and bring more attention to it during the pandemic. Give it a good makeover and bring it to phones but... nothing. The one thing I do love through is just about every paper product gives a digital code. I recently just got more heavily into magic and was surprised to see very few products have codes for Arena.

Kvothe Ctaeh

Sep 29, 2020
This is honestly so accurate. Pokemon TCG Online was one of the least money grabbing card games I got to play. Everything else about the game is fantastic.Just the artstyle looks like something out of Neopets.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Yeah, the artstyle killed it for me. If the characters were styled more like in the actual mainline Pokemon games, it'd be much more appealing. Like, even just reusing some of the generic trainers from recent games (Ace Trainers, Hex Maniacs, whatever) would do wonders for making the Online TCG not feel so generic and ugly.

Rbrogue

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It really could use a hearthstone-esque client like MTGA went with. I enjoy the core gameplay enough but yeah the presentation is like a flash game from newgrounds. I never stick with it for long because it's so off putting.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I'm not trying to sound rude or snarky I'm genuinely curious, does the Pokémon card game bring in a lot of money for the Pokémon Company? Do they not have the resources to make this look better and play a lot smoother?

FirMatt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boston MA
The dream would be a full card game released on both Switch and mobile (cross-play?) which includes a single player campaign akin to the game boy titles. I mean, if Mario Golf can bring that aspect back...

That just leaves me wondering who would make this. Game Freak isn't involved with the card game at all... Who made the game boy titles?

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't just the artstyle that looks like its from 2003, the entire app feels that way too. The UI and everything is abysmal. I'd kill for an MTG: Arena style app for the Pokemon TCG

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
I always feel like the Pokémon card game could rival or even be better than Hearthstone at its peak.
if only it had different art, and a phone app. Just revamp the UI to make it more appealing, make it presentable.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
They don't monetize it so they won't bother spend too much on it I would say

A kind of "it just works" thing

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to sound rude or snarky I'm genuinely curious, does the Pokémon card game bring in a lot of money for the Pokémon Company? Do they not have the resources to make this look better and play a lot smoother?
To be fair, "Does the Pokemon Company not have the resources to make this look better and play a lot smoother" is asked about a lot of their stuff, not just the card game. I'll just say this game in particular is of lower importance. It's monetized in some regions but not the US iirc.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
The art style is the least of its problems.

It's a 10 year old platform that feels older.

It desperately needs an update, if not an all new version. Like it was fine when it was just competing against magic online, but magic arena blows it out of the water.

but at least we have something, which most tcgs still don't have.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
It's an app that's out of date and ugly, yes.

But my guess is they make way more money on the physical products which is why they never bothered bringing the game to phones. And possibly don't want to detract in phones from their other Pokemon offerings.

Edit: Not being on Steam makes to them as they don't lose out on the 30%.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It does look very bland, would look leagues better if it followed Ken Sugimori's art style