• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 23, 2017
The Switch is as much as twice as powerful when portable. It also has the most modern GPU out of all the current consoles. It has some bottlenecks like memory bandwidth, and clock speeds of the cpu, but it is also the easiest platform to develop for on the market, as long as you have a devkit of course.
Sadly most don't realize this. Nintendo has come so far and this is such a big jump for them. I'm so excited for what they can create with Nvidia moving forward. As long as they stay with modern architecture switch systems will be fine. I hope they don't mess things up and continue to build for the betterment of their platform.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
well some of the comparisons aren't really accurate, for example when people post like:

Zelda BotW
Wii U: 720p 30fps
Switch: 900p 30fps

MK8
Wii U: 720p 60fps
Switch: 1080o 60fps

What people forget is that the Wii U renders for two screens. It renders Zelda/Mario Kart for your TV in 720p + whatever is on the Gamepad in 480p. So remember that for the Wii U there is always additional load wasted for the Gamepad. Still the Switch has a better hardware overall, but it's not a generational leap. I mean even in Zelda BotW the loading times are actually shorter on Wii U.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
just compare xenoblade X and xenoblade 2.
While X is more open, it's cutting a lot of corners that 2 doesn't have to.
You can also say goodbye to cellshaded characters because that shit is expansive too.
A WiiU centric game like BotW run markedly better on Switch undocked than it does on WiiU, just imagine what sub Switch undocked Xeno2 is going to look like.
You'll be lucky if the IQ doesn't fall behind actual Game Boy.
I don't see why cel shaded characters would be particularly expensive to do on an open world Wii U game, there is Breath of the Wild already running on it,and 360/PS3 could have handled cel shading as well.
If the game was made with that artstyle in mind, not getting XC2 as it is on Wii U

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
We don't even need to bring BotW in this discussion.
Mario Kart is always at a higher resolution and framerate than on WiiU.
All the 720p platformers run effortlessly at 1080p (and would probably run at that resolution handheld if the screen wasn't 720p already)

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
uQOnLWe.png

* Nvidia cards generally perform better than AMD cards FLOP for FLOP. The 4.4 TFLOP GTX1060 is roughly on par with the 5.8 TFLOP RX580.

This is slapped together and kind of assumes you know the differences between architectures, but it clearly shows that the Switch is better than the Wii U in every metric. The real shocking thing here is that the Xbox 360 outclasses the Wii U in certain aspects. Are there seriously people who think the Switch is trading blows with the Vita?

The clockspeed of the CPU in Switch is the same both docked and handheld.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
well some of the comparisons aren't really accurate, for example when people post like:

Zelda BotW

MK8

What people forget is that the Wii U renders for two screens. It renders Zelda/Mario Kart for your TV in 720p + whatever is on the Gamepad in 480p. So remember that for the Wii U there is always additional load wasted for the Gamepad. Still the Switch has a better hardware overall, but it's not a generational leap. I mean even in Zelda BotW the loading times are actually shorter on Wii U.

Some early interviews with wiiU devs suggested the framebuffer for the gamepad was essentially free and hardware based. If you're not actively rendering a second camera and only mirroring the TV there's no cost in performance.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't see why cel shaded characters would be particularly expensive to do on an open world Wii U game, there is Breath of the Wild already running on it,and 360/PS3 could have handled cel shading as well.
If the game was made with that artstyle in mind, not getting XC2 as it is on Wii U
They already modded BotW to remove cell shading and noticed marked improvement of performance.
XC2 is definitely a more taxing game than XCX and can be seen struggling on Switch.
XCX also suffers from massive streaming issue if you don't have shit installed on hardware (with very long load times).
there's barely any collision with moving objects as well.
Shadows are not dynamic (like in XC2 really).
We already know that handheld Switch is already more powerful even for games originally made for WiiU, a game like XC2 is going to struggle even more on WiiU without a question.
If you want XC2 on WiiU, there's shit that are going to be dropped or the game is going to run like dogshit with Gameboy IQ (just remember that the IQ on handheld Switch is already VERY low, that's not going higher on WiiU).

Oct 25, 2017
just compare xenoblade X and xenoblade 2.
While X is more open, it's cutting a lot of corners that 2 doesn't have to.
You can also say goodbye to cellshaded characters because that shit is expansive too.
A WiiU centric game like BotW run markedly better on Switch undocked than it does on WiiU, just imagine what sub Switch undocked Xeno2 is going to look like.
You'll be lucky if the IQ doesn't fall behind actual Game Boy.
Not sure there's much to gain from X and 2 comparisons. 2 was rushed and partially outsourced because more than half of the studio were on Zelda duty.
Monolith's next outing should impress a lot more

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Not sure there's much to gain from X and 2 comparisons. 2 was rushed and partially outsourced because more than half of the studio were on Zelda duty.
Monolith's next outing should impress a lot more
No question about that, I still think they got a lot of breathing room in not having to cut so many corners with working on Switch instead of WiiU.
Also if they're working on the next openworld Zelda, we're going to be in the same situation where Zelda ends up gobbling a lot of their resources.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Sadly most don't realize this. Nintendo has come so far and this is such a big jump for them. I'm so excited for what they can create with Nvidia moving forward. As long as they stay with modern architecture switch systems will be fine. I hope they don't mess things up and continue to build for the betterment of their platform.
It may have the more 'modern' GPU technically, but not best we haven't seen any real advantage Switch has over the XBOX ONE and PS4 GPUs so its a bit meaningless to say (still very good that it has a modern one and definitive advantage over Nintendo's previous systems)
I once saw a chart comparing the switch gpu features to ps4 and there wasn't anything different (or just one small thing)

But if someone corrects me its good

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
No question about that, I still think they got a lot of breathing room in not having to cut so many corners with working on Switch instead of WiiU.
Also if they're working on the next openworld Zelda, we're going to be in the same situation where Zelda ends up gobbling a lot of their resources.
Probably why they're hiring a Zelda team

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We don't even need to bring BotW in this discussion.
Mario Kart is always at a higher resolution and framerate than on WiiU.
All the 720p platformers run effortlessly at 1080p (and would probably run at that resolution handheld if the screen wasn't 720p already)

Nah dog developers just got better coding to the metal, Wii U is more powerful they just didn't have the time. F'real.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Probably why they're hiring a Zelda team
The more resources you have to more you spend, that doesn't necessarily mean that there will more people not working on Zelda.
Sometimes more just means more.
Nah dog developers just got better coding to the metal, Wii U is more powerful they just didn't have the time. F'real.
By that logic the GameCube is Nintendo's current most powerful hardware,
checkmate atheists.

Dec 23, 2017
It may have the more 'modern' GPU technically, but not best we haven't seen any real advantage Switch has over the XBOX ONE and PS4 GPUs so its a bit meaningless to say (still very good that it has a modern one and definitive advantage over Nintendo's previous systems)
I once saw a chart comparing the switch gpu features to ps4 and there wasn't anything different (or just one small thing)
Not meaningless at all it is because of this directly that they are getting the ports that they are. Hopefully they stay on this path. Modern architecture along with updated api and devkits for developers. The best part is that they stay with Nvidia and tegra line so that developers learn and know the development environment for making switch games.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Remember when we had threads wondering if Wii U had the power to run Uncharted 3 and God of War 3 🤔

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Remember when we had threads wondering if Wii U had the power to run Uncharted 3 and God of War 3 🤔
There's just a new thread with a title implying the Switch is less powerful than a ps2.
I'm telling you we're getting to the argument that Switch is less powerful than DSi soon.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

Zelda BotW

MK8

Mirroring image does't really use resources on Wii U.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not exclusive to UE4, no. There's nothing stopping other devs from doing it, though they'll obviously need to know how to implement it in order to take advantage of it.

Very interesting. I can usually spot sub 900p games on my big TV but that one certainly fooled me haha! Probably the heavy use of DoF too I suspect.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
There's just a new thread with a title implying the Switch is less powerful than a ps2.
I'm telling you we're getting to the argument that Switch is less powerful than DSi soon.
Well, duh! Everyone knows that you need a REAL console to play REAL matoor games with mud and grime and guns and shootz and stuff. Kiddie games like Yoshi and Kirby can only run on Fisher-Price kiddie systems, isn't that obvious???

(/s just in case...)

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
In terms of raw power, it has a leg up but it's really the easily understood architecture that is allowing developers to squeeze as much as possible out of it. The Wii U was fairly draconian as I understand it, second only to the PS3 in terms of hoops that required jumping through to get titles up to snuff.

Last edited:

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England

Zelda BotW

MK8

For the vast majority of games it does NOT render for two screens. It simply beams the image to the controller. This doesn't take up extra resources.

In other instances the controller will display a simple image like a menu or map.

Games where there is extra rendering on the controller often have much simpler or downgraded graphics. Stuff like Nintendo Land.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The WiiU wasn't even superior to the PS3 which launched 6 years prior but the Switch is definitely more powerful than the WiiU, PS3, and 360.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
SFO had two screens, one at 1080p, the other at 480p both running 60fps under a full rendering load each.

It's 720p according to Digital Foundry:
Star Fox Zero runs at a native 1280x720 on Wii U, while pushing a separate 854x480 output to its GamePad - no small feat for the console.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-star-fox-zero

But still, it does make since about the underwhelming graphics.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Switch would be even more so if they would allow full clock speed in docked mode which is over 1.7ghz for cpu and over 900mhz for gpu. Nvidia Shield has the same SOC but it smokes it due to running and full clock speed.

This isn't true. The Shield TV throttles under load, often to the Switch's exact clocks.

It also has a much heavier OS overhead in Android, so it's effectively weaker than the Switch, which is reflected in the games running on it.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Not powerful enough to handle miiverse, folders or eshop music, but still better.
It was nice to see some screens of DK at 1080 after doing another playthrough on the WiiU. You just notice there's a difference.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't think it was even a question worth asking.

I have always assumed the Switch is - objectively - the more powerful system.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't true. The Shield TV throttles under load, often to the Switch's exact clocks.

It also has a much heavier OS overhead in Android, so it's effectively weaker than the Switch, which is reflected in the games running on it.
There has been zero reports of a Shield TV anywhere on the internet throttling to 1GHz CPU and 768MHz GPU, what has been reported is that the GPU will throttle to around 768mhz and even lower depending on CPU load and that the device tries to maintain the CPU clock, which is actually important when you are trying to do stuff like drive cars with it.

The entire throttling of the Nvidia Shield TV is because of a strict wattage restriction that is entirely software base and might not have any bearing on the Switch. It's worth noting that the clocks we are hearing about the 1.8ghz CPU and 921mhz GPU was tested at foxconn for 8 days under load. The Switch has been reported to handle that performance, and people have been able to overclock their hacked Switch to those numbers during BotW, it gets hot to the touch, but this isn't a problem if it's in the dock, certainly a problem for portable performance, but really a more reasonable clock increase of half those numbers would give a huge boost to performance anyways.